• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

AdanVC

I'm still on World 4 (Trying to take my time because I've never want this game to end hhaha) and OMG, Level 4-4 was AMAZING!
(That awesome remix of Lockjaw's Locker from DKC: 2 is jus brilliant!)
I think I would start moving faster to finish the game and begin the real challenge of collect everything.

Using your partner character's special ability underwater for Diddy (jetpack) and Dixie (helicopter hair) will probably help if you're not doing so.

I finished it. My strategy was to use regular swimming and avoiding the boost at all times. It made it a lot easier to avoid uh ...

everything x_x;

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
and finished!
damn son Diddy really was better than Dixie. Horizontal movement was key during Fredrik's charge. I actually finished the fight with DK only and one heart, and when he spitted out that giant freakin' dragon I pulled down by accident, lol...then one last bump and the fuck was gone

now I'm playing 7.1 and it's kicking my arse. But at least no more £çé°§ing bosses to deal with

maxcriden

and finished!
damn son Diddy really was better than Dixie. Horizontal movement was key during Fredrik's charge. I actually finished the fight with DK only and one heart, and when he spitted out that giant freakin' dragon I pulled down by accident, lol...then one last bump and the fuck was gone

now I'm playing 7.1 and it's kicking my arse. But at least no more £çé°§ing bosses to deal with

Nice job currygan!!!!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck, bought 99 capsule toys for the hell of it. ZzzzZzZzZzZnZz zzz press a forever

Do I need Dixie for the last letter piece in 5-4? wasted a bunch of lives trying to catch it with DK solo

maxcriden

Fuck, bought 99 capsule toys for the hell of it. ZzzzZzZzZzZnZz zzz press a forever

Do I need Dixie for the last letter piece in 5-4? wasted a bunch of lives trying to catch it with DK solo

Nah, you can roll jump with DK from the platform on the left. It's really tricky though.

El Odio

Banned
Just beat the final boss.
I don't see what's so hard about him like you guys are saying. It's literally no problem judging the right time to jump when he charges at you and nothing he sends at you is hard to avoid at all. Took me 3 tries to best him. The boss of world 5 gave me more trouble. That metal song in the background though...
Credits music is absolutely phenomenal.
Dat stickerbrush sax.
Anyway, I've fully enjoyed this game and I've been itching for a game this hard for a long time. Hopefully hard mode and the bonus levels keep the fun going a little longer.

Coolwhip

Banned
I suck at finishing games. Haven't played in a while now while I like the game. The water levels don't help though. I don't want to do them D:

Panicky Paddles is just amazing. The music... gaaahd. I'm assuming there are
2 secret exits, since I've only managed to unlock two new levels after finding one of the others. Seeing that one of the levels is still inaccessible, I'll have to keep searching.

Been slowly working my way through this game and savoring every level. Just beat the World 5 boss (on second try!) and am looking forward to these amazing levels I am reading about in World 6.

Lebon14

Rage quitted on 2-K.
I understand those levels are meant to be ass-kicking hard. However, I just can't learn how the timing to Ennemy Bounce when blasting off a barrel. I started at 99 lives and I went down to 63 and 95% of those lives went wasted trying to pull of the first jump at the beginning.

GAF, any trick to get the timing down?

Rage quitted on 2-K.
I understand those levels are meant to be ass-kicking hard. However, I just can't learn how the timing to Ennemy Bounce when blasting off a barrel. I started at 99 lives and I went down to 63 and 95% of those lives went wasted trying to pull of the first jump at the beginning.

Hold A on your descent, let go after you bounce, rinse and repeat. You don't have to time it perfectly as you hit an enemy.

jnWake

Rage quitted on 2-K.

Press and Hold A when descending or very close to the enemies.

Salih

... so my 13 year old brother beat the game @ 100%. I was legit shocked how good he is. then again he grew up playing primarily j'n'r games on nes/snes/wii.

javac

... so my 13 year old brother beat the game @ 100%. I was legit shocked how good he is. then again he grew up playing primarily j'n'r games on nes/snes/wii.

My 13 year old bro is crazy good at games too. 200% completed DKCR, 100% completed all the Zelda and Mario games, Devil May Cry etc. Hell my 8 year old brother is crazy good at games too. They are a lot more advanced than we give them credit for.

Whoops, I was wrong. Secret level is in Fruit Factory.

Had to ragequit playing legitimately on another K level. Was getting tired of the constant deaths on 4-K so I juiced it up so I could finally make it to the end without dying to one of those goddamn bees. Also used Dixie Barrels for 5-K, because goddamn I just couldn't take it anymore. There was one portion near the end where I had to question whether it was even intended for players to go solo DK...

Had to ragequit playing legitimately on another K level. Was getting tired of the constant deaths on 4-K so I juiced it up so I could finally make it to the end without dying to one of those goddamn bees. Also used Dixie Barrels for 5-K, because goddamn I just couldn't take it anymore. There was one portion near the end where I had to question whether it was even intended for players to go solo DK...
Considering they don't give you a barrel on that one, of course it was intended :p. That one is especially satisfying to complete as DK.

I got the game Saturday, and I've made it as far as beating the first world on Hard Mode. I'm not sure how much further I will go before I get too frustrated for it to be worth the effort.

The game is top-notch though. It improves on Returns in every way I can think of. The controls are much better without waggle and stopping to blow at flowers, the levels are more fun and better designed (I'm especially happy the mine cart and rocket levels no longer have instant death from a single hit), and the graphics and art are extremely attractive. I really hope David Wise gets to work on more Nintendo games beyond Donkey Kong; the soundtrack is A+.

Type_Raver

Dunno about you guys but the 4th BOSS has me raging out of frustration!!

It was one of those "JUST ONE MORE SHOT!!" moments, but finally got him.
#woosah

bndadm

Just finished world one. Had to switch to wii remote, and so did the wife.

Sorry if I missed the comments, but anyone have personal difficulty using the WiiU tablet? We had a lot of problems using the triggers to hold vines and such. It felt sluggish, awkward, for us.

Love the game though.

I need help I'm in 6-1 where after you get to the 2nd check point you have to grab on the grass ledges after the ice breaks. Well I grab on the first and go to jump on the 2nd one after the ice breaks and DK refuses to grab and hold on. I don't get it.

I need help I'm in 6-1 where after you get to the 2nd check point you have to grab on the grass ledges after the ice breaks. Well I grab on the first and go to jump on the 2nd one after the ice breaks and DK refuses to grab and hold on. I don't get it.

Every so often I ran into this problem where the Kong(s) wouldn't grab the grass in 6-1 (didn't happen to me on any other level). Do you keep the grab button pressed down the whole time? Try releasing it in mid air and pressing it again to grab the other side. Or the other way around depending on which way you do it.

Sorry if I missed the comments, but anyone have personal difficulty using the WiiU tablet? We had a lot of problems using the triggers to hold vines and such. It felt sluggish, awkward, for us.

Love the game though.

For some bizarre reason, the gamepad seems to have an input lag while the wiimote/nunchuck doesn't. I also had to make the switch after a handful of levels.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

do you wait until the first ledge falls on the wood and bounces a bit? That's the moment you have to jump to the other one. It tricked me for a good five lives

maxcriden

Love the game though.

Just out of curioisity, were you using the analog or digital control? I found the analog control kind of wonky, but I haven't noticed any issue with using the d-pad on the Wii U GamePad.

bndadm

For some bizarre reason, the gamepad seems to have an input lag while the wiimote/nunchuck doesn't. I also had to make the switch after a handful of levels.

Just out of curioisity, were you using the analog or digital control? I found the analog control kind of wonky, but I haven't noticed any issue with using the d-pad on the Wii U GamePad.

I'm glad to see it wasn't all in my head then. I was using the analog control, which I did not do for NSMBWU. Interesting, I'll have to test out the d-pad on the WiiU tablet just for curiosities sake.

I think I've cleared all the levels now (excluding Hard mode), as I've beat
all three levels in World 7
. However, I'm missing 7 images in the "Extras" menu. Am I missing something?

Or do I need to
beat all 7 worlds in Hard mode
to unlock them? If so, screw that.

I think I've cleared all the levels now (excluding Hard mode), as I've beat
all three levels in World 7
. However, I'm missing 7 images in the "Extras" menu. Am I missing something?

Or do I need to
beat all 7 worlds in Hard mode
to unlock them? If so, screw that.
Yup!

Also, I've been using analog game pad control this whole time, and I never had any control issues.

zsidane

I'm using the gamepad w/analog control and so far so good. The only problem I have is tha t I played so much Rayman Legends that but try to use RZ to run...

Hey guys!! I am glad I finally got this, oh my, this is my cup of tea, loving the game to death. Got the same feeling I got with Half Life 2, SMG 1 and to a lesser extent SM3DW.

I am in World 3 level 3 and I already did the K levels for Worlds 1 and 2. Great art and level design, game is oozing with personality, crisp and smooth visuals, great platforming gameplay, could not ask for more. To this point the levels are fair, challenging but I am not getting frustrated. Well that 2K took a lot of tries but when I finally got it, it was pretty satisfying.

I am sooo glad that Retro worked on this. I was going through Returns when I could finally buy my copy. Still I am going to finish Returns after TF because I love this game so much. Still have to finish it but I will be doing Hard Mode and time trials so I expect to get a lot of hours out of this game.

I would love that Mario gets rid of the timer and adds more exploration and collectibles. Nintendo needs to redefine 2D Mario, this is coming from someone who enjoyed NSMBU and NSLU a lot.

Considering they don't give you a barrel on that one, of course it was intended :p. That one is especially satisfying to complete as DK.

Oh, really? Didn't catch it at all, lmao. Now that it's been beaten, trying again as solo DK might be kinda fu-- I'm most likely never doing that.

In regards to how far I've gotten, World 5... oh man... I didn't think that any World would give me that same feeling of 'I wanna be there' as World 1, but boy did that prove me wrong. Panicky Paddles's music and environment coating the background was actually giving me chills. I thought I didn't even get "chills".

I've never felt so emotionally affected by any game, honestly. Galaxy 1 had me grinning like an idiot the entire time, but I never actually felt so in love with its environments, more so the gameplay and music. I find it truly amazing how much of a difference David Wise's music and Retro's (clearly enhanced) level design has made on this game.

Top Bottom