• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

I'm on 6-4 right now and it's
another fucking rocket level. They need to just leave this shit out next time around.
Why do you hate the rocket levels so much? It's not any harder to control than any aspect of the game, and they're always really chaotic and unexpected fun.

Garryk

Jebus Chrismo, Bopopolis was amazing. I died around 20 times, but I finally managed to beat it. I love the precision based gameplay there. Pure platforming goodness.
This level makes you feel like a badass.

I'm finding that I am way better at this game playing on the Gamepad. As soon as I switch to TV I start sucking it up.

Astral Dog

I am at world 6-5 and besides the first level were i lost a few lives on the last part (seriously, what where you supposed to do there), the levels thankfully have been a breeze so far.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
If someone were to tell me there is a level better than 6-6 later in the game, I wouldn't believe you.

And it seems like I'm not alone in that assessment.

One of my favourite levels was from (SPOILER)
World 7 where it combines a platforming, mine cart and rocket barrel level all into one.

gotoadgo

200% done, hard mode is brutal at times. The simplest things can become really difficult when you know you can't get hit by anything.

Gsnap

Starting to make my way through Hard Mode. Got all of World 1 finished except for the K level. Seems like that shouldn't be too bad, though. Since I don't have to get KONG letters, and those didn't have checkpoints anyway. I'm expecting World 2 to give me a lot more trouble.

Got a decent time trial run on Shipwreck Shore with Cranky. Though I'm not sure if I want to get golds for every level in every world... But it's something to consider.

GamerJM

Banned
I'm planning on playing this game over Spring Break, but I finally took the shrink wrap off my copy and started it up and played a couple levels today and I have to say, I was pretty impressed so far. I'm not a big fan of the Donkey Kong series (outside of, oddly enough, Jungle Beat), but so far this game felt a lot better than DKCR. Like, just in terms of pure "game feel," the game is a lot better so far IMO, though it's too early to make judgements on anything else.

but so far this game felt a lot better than DKCR. Like, just in terms of pure "game feel," the game is a lot better so far IMO, though it's too early to make judgements on anything else.

What do you mean by the feel? DK moves and controls exactly as he does in DKCR. Though I guess if you are playing with the gamepad it would feel a lot different.

Starting to make my way through Hard Mode. Got all of World 1 finished except for the K level. Seems like that shouldn't be too bad, though. Since I don't have to get KONG letters, and those didn't have checkpoints anyway.

KONG letters do do something on hard... They turn your KONG letter collection icon blue (or is it green?) haha. I know its small but if you are a completionist... They might unlock additional art too but I'm not sure on that one.

Nico_D

I managed to finally beat 2-K yesterday after every other special level was done. Took me about 80 balloons and two hours. The hardest level in the game, all the other K-levels allow you a little breather now and then but this is one go from start to finish.

How can anyone hate rocket levels? They're brilliant, as are mine cart levels.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Beat the first world. 1-K took a few tries, used Dixie and I feel like she basically made it easy mode since she can help you recover from minor mistakes easily.

Game is off to a great start though. Feels a bit easier out the gate than DKCR did I think. I didn't accumulate lives nearly this quickly in that game, and I want to say I died a bit more too.

And that boss theme was not what I expected at all, all the music in the first world was good though. Definitely a step up from DKCR, and I didn't even really dislike it in that game like some people did.

Any news on how the game is selling?

In Japan? Not amazingly.

Managed to stay in the UK charts for 3 weeks though, which is rare for a Wii U game over here.It'll probably be gone next week though.

Still in the top 10 in France though. So not too badly in Europe - I have no idea about in the states though.

Nicktendo86

In Japan? Not amazingly.

Managed to stay in the UK charts for 3 weeks though, which is rare for a Wii U game over here.It'll probably be gone next week though.

Still in the top 10 in France though. So not too badly in Europe - I have no idea about in the states though.

Yeah it's still number 55 on Amazon.co.uk and has been in the top 100 for 55 days so that's good I guess. Mario Kar 8 is already showing in the top 100 as well, Nintendo better market the fuck out of it if they knew what was good for them!

Finished World 4. Really enjoyed the swimming levels, they were incredibly beautiful and the pace of them felt great. Boss was pretty cool, went on a while but I enjoyed him. I feel much better about the game after my meltdown last week.

Onto World 5 now...

zsidane

Just finished downloading the 11GB! I'm so excited to be back home and play the game!
I'm having all those 1995 memories coming back!!

ZeroCDR

Played this with my wife over the last week, we've almost completed it on normal
Just unlocked the secret world

Overall, I enjoyed it, but it had quite a few rough spots. 3D World really outshines it by comparison, which we completed last month.

2-K is totally bugged, that barrel-to-owl blast timing mid-level is screwed up if you try to bounce on contact, have to press the jump button way earlier. The level is cake aside from that.

oti

Banned
Finished it. 12h for 70%. Now on to the secret levels and 100%!

Dixie >>>>>> Diddy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cranky (sorry).

Gsnap

KONG letters do do something on hard... They turn your KONG letter collection icon blue (or is it green?) haha. I know its small but if you are a completionist... They might unlock additional art too but I'm not sure on that one.

Yeah, but there are no KONG letters in K levels. So the K levels shouldn't be much harder.

BHZ Mayor

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but after completing this, I think the worst thing I can say about this game, aside from the Stickerbrush Symphony troll move (which was made up for in spades with that second credits music, so good), is that I think the split between puzzle pieces that you find, compared to ones that you earn for collecting all the bananas and/or coins in a given area, is a little too even. I think it should've been mostly in favor of finding them.

Maybe it was and I'm just clouded by all the times I purposely killed myself to try to get a group of bananas only for it to reward me with a coin or a banana bunch.

Also, I kinda think roll and ground pound should be two different buttons. I killed myself a few times trying to ground pound but accidentally rolling because I was moving slightly.

Het_Nkik

2-K is totally bugged, that barrel-to-owl blast timing mid-level is screwed up if you try to bounce on contact, have to press the jump button way earlier. The level is cake aside from that.

That's weird. I played this level at least 50 times since I was speed running it and I never encountered anything like that.

All bouncing works like that. To get a high bounce, you hold A while descending.

Anyway, I'm also almost done hard mode (stuck at the final boss). For those of you who have gone through hard mode, what levels have you the most trouble? Off the top of my head:
Pompey
2-3 (With the instruments)
Baobab Bonanza
Ba-boom
Irate Eight
Seastack Attack
5-1
6-4
6-5
6-B (Probably took me the longest to get through overall)
And now Freddy.

All of the K and Secret levels were really easy playing through with Dixie.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
ibyfvGZURMKG1a.jpg

mmmmmmmmhmmmmmm

zsidane

played the game for like an hour (1-1 1-2 1-3 1-a and 1-b) and I have yet to see the snow!
gameplay is like any nintendo game, looks great and the music is top. however, i feel like the game isn't polished (loading times, "slowdowns" during the loading screen, no use of the gamepad screen). couldn't they polish it with the extra couple of months after the delay?

also, where's retro logo???

gotoadgo

All bouncing works like that. To get a high bounce, you hold A while descending.

Anyway, I'm also almost done hard mode (stuck at the final boss). For those of you who have gone through hard mode, what levels have you the most trouble? Off the top of my head:
Pompey
Baobab Bonanza
Ba-boom
Irate Eight
Seastack Attack
5-1
6-4
6-5
And now Freddy.

Baobab Bonanza was EASILY the worst for me. I have no idea why but it's the only one that sticks out as being particularly painful. There were some other hard ones but that one took the cake.

Edit - world 3 boss destroyed me as well, all the other bosses were pretty easy I found.

Baobab Bonanza was EASILY the worst for me. I have no idea why but it's the only one that sticks out as being particularly painful. There were some other hard ones but that one took the cake.

Edit - world 3 boss destroyed me as well, all the other bosses were pretty easy I found.
Yeah, I have no idea why it was so bad. I think it's a mix of the length, the number of shit they throw at you (which in normal mode is compensated for with hearts), and the last stretch of the level which doesn't really allow for mistakes.

Also, I'm done! Now to collect the remaining puzzle pieces.

Mlatador

Banned
Im in World 3 right now and the athmosphere is amazing. It get's really moody and exciting, and man, the grahpics are sooo pretty!! This game keeps on delivering. Good thing I'm taking my time.

Anyway, I'm also almost done hard mode (stuck at the final boss). For those of you who have gone through hard mode, what levels have you the most trouble?

Volcano Dome: Fuuuuck Fredrik

Current Capers: This stage really pushes careful control and patience, spinning into switches when urchins are present can end fatally with the loss of control, the bit near the end with the collapsing gear tunnel caught me out a few times as well.

Blurry Flurry: only one hit + no checkpoints = extra jitters for worse control, areas I never took damage in before became my grave far too often.

and to a lesser extent...
Baobab Bonanza: I'm not sure if it was just the irresistible urge to pogo across the stage that led to numerous deaths or if it's just surprisingly tricky to get through unscathed, screw those swooping birds!

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Pompey
Baobab Bonanza
Ba-boom
Irate Eight
Seastack Attack
5-1
6-4
6-5
And now Freddy.

Slowly working through (played through all of world 3 today), but so far the only things I have had trouble with is getting certain Kong letters (stupid N on Sawmill Thrill and Rickety Rails). The world 3 boss took me a few tries as well. Oddly, I've beaten every K level in one try so far. I'm anticipating having some trouble with some of the swimming levels though :( I've been doing DK only, so sometimes it's hard to tell what levels will suddenly become harder.

maxcriden

Found the secret exit in World 6! That was tricky. Just the World 5 one left to get then we can start playing these A and B levels!

Anyway, I'm also almost done hard mode (stuck at the final boss). For those of you who have gone through hard mode, what levels have you the most trouble?

"Fuck you game!" Tier
-Slippy Spikes

"If only I was good at swimming..." Tier
-Deep Keep
-Amiss Abyss
-Current Capers

"Stop making stupid mistakes, dammit!" Tier
Volcano Dome
Fruity Factory
Baobab Bonanza
Punch Bowl
Triple Trouble
Frozen Frenzy
Blurry Flurry

Kodaman

Just finished it.
Man... World 6 is such a marvel. It keeps on getting better and better. Until 6-6 I guess... but to be fair, I don´t know if it is possible to surpass that.

jnWake

Dynamite Dash is amazing. I like these stages that introduce creative "gimmicks".

On an unrelated note, Time Trial GAF needs to get better! I rarely see any shiny gold runs by the guys I added :-(

Dynamite Dash is amazing. I like these stages that introduce creative "gimmicks".

On an unrelated note, Time Trial GAF needs to get better! I rarely see any shiny gold runs by the guys I added :-(

I did 1-1 and 1-2 (fuck that bug at the end) but that's it...Messed around on 1-B and 2-6 but didn't get anything I'm proud of. I was top ten or Mangrove Cove for like a day though, that was cool I guess.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
finally completed all K levels. 6 was a breeze, but 5 was a BITCH

A BITCH

I was forced to buy extra lives from Funky..

tried the final boss, A BITCH

just how many stages is this goddamned fight

Lathentar

Looking for Pants

I had the 3rd best time (fastest no damage time) on Dynamite Dash last I checked. I have Shiny Golds on 4 of the levels in world 6. Add me!

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Any way to get the G in 6-1 without Dixie? This is really frustrating, it's my last letter left.

You have to roll jump from the platform on the left, collect the G in midair, and then grab onto the grass on the wall to your right.

Chairhome

Kind of a dumb question, but there's no "beginner's mode" type thing like they did in the mario games with the Super Guide or Golden Tanooki Suit in the Mario games, right? My son loves these games but this game is pretty hard for him (he's 4 but can get through most of SMBWU and 3DW with help from the handicap). If not, no big deal, I'll just play with him and he can jump on DK's back for the hard parts.

Kind of a dumb question, but there's no "beginner's mode" type thing like they did in the mario games with the Super Guide or Golden Tanooki Suit in the Mario games, right? My son loves these games but this game is pretty hard for him (he's 4 but can get through most of SMBWU and 3DW with help from the handicap). If not, no big deal, I'll just play with him and he can jump on DK's back for the hard parts.
In addition to co-op, items can make things much easier as well.

Nope, the only thing it has to really make it more tolerable for inexperienced or casual players is the powerups in Funky's shop and the new Kung Pow move that turns all enemies on-screen into certain powerups.

Top Bottom