• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

jnWake

Beat the final boss. Not easy but not as painful as some people made it seem like. On the other hand, I thought 6-K was a lot harder than people here made it seem like. I guess it balances out!

NEO0MJ

Just beat the boss for world 5, was pretty tough. Really liked the music for that one, my favorite so far.
I haven't been unlocking the K levels after the first, gonna come back to them after I beat the final boss and feel like I have a perfect grasp of the game.

Caoz

Nope, the only thing it has to really make it more tolerable for inexperienced or casual players is the powerups in Funky's shop and the new Kung Pow move that turns all enemies on-screen into certain powerups.

Just realized I am at 6-7 and I've never used the kung pow moves... I have bought lives from funky thou.

Draconian

Ok, so far

1-K: Hard
2-K: Easy (and very fun!)
3-K: Damn, hardest level in the game
4-K: Hard

This brings a smile to my face for when I get this game. 1-K on DKCR destroyed me after playing through the first level. I hope somebody else somewhere gets to experience the "This game isn't that hard. What was everyone talking about?...YOU'VE GOTTA BE JOKING ME" reaction I had once I played 1-K.

lewisgone

After trying all layouts out, the best control scheme for me on the Gamepad has been analog-stick, but with X/Y swapped with the triggers. Pressing Y/X to grab feels so much more sensible than pressing a trigger. Vice versa for rolling. And the dpad is ok but a pain after a while, and is a detriment on swimming levels.

Crossposting from David Wise thread. Top 5 favorite tracks?

1. Staff Credits
My undisputed number 1. And yes, it's strange to me because normally I'd never pick a non-gameplay song as my favorite.

This theme has it all and is executed brilliantly. Starting off as a awesome big band jazz celebration, it transitions into a more somber melody before hitting an uplifting finish. Then comes the heavenly, if short-lived Stickerbush saxophone remix that sounds like it was recorded using entirely live instruments. Wise puts that extra special touch on it with the live sax, adding a more personal aspect to a remix of arguably the greatest DKC track and one of the greatest video game tracks of all time. Wise knows what the hardcore fans want and fucking gives it to us.

2. Harvest Hazards
The climax at 1:44 is epic and when the full suite of backing instruments kicks in at 2:05, I can't even. The hype explodes out of my headphones.

3. Busted Bayou
Such a fun and funky song. Really great variety in instruments with two distinct guitars, dat flute, and the eventual sax.

4. Amiss Abyss
'Nuff said.

5. Seashore War
ibnXpH97nqcuKc.png

aett

Ok, so far

That's funny. 2-K took me about a hundred tries (took me forever to get the timing down on the bopping) but then I went and completed 3-K on my first try.

Additionally: Fruit Factory is my favorite track in the game.

Astral Dog

Finally finished the main worlds, i hated that final boss, bland scenery and it had the worst music of the game
And i enjoyed the 3d camera sections, such a dissapointment there are very few of them

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished 2-K and had a lot more trouble with it than 1-K. It's the combination of not being able to stop and timing being really important. Had a lot of trial and error to it, but once you start getting it down it's a fun level to play.

After trying all layouts out, the best control scheme for me on the Gamepad has been analog-stick, but with X/Y swapped with the triggers. Pressing Y/X to grab feels so much more sensible than pressing a trigger. Vice versa for rolling. And the dpad is ok but a pain after a while, and is a detriment on swimming levels.
Really? Having the roll button set to a face button reminds me more of the older DKC games. And isn't it weird to tap shoulder buttons over and over for ground pounding? It's also easier for me to not have to worry about accidentally letting go of te grab button when I'm jumping on zip lines.

daripad

That's funny. 2-K took me about a hundred tries (took me forever to get the timing down on the bopping) but then I went and completed 3-K on my first try.

Additionally: Fruit Factory is my favorite track in the game.

2-k was easy because it was just etting the timing right and I always do it perfectly lol but then 3-K comes with those horrible patterns, good thing that Dixie exists

braves01

Banned
So, I was looking at this game on Amazon just to last minute price check before I pick it up in store tomorrow (finally!), when lo and behold I see this:

Monkey
81eTFLbX3uL._SL500_AA300_.png

How the hell is that blatant copyright infringement still up on the site? There are tons of other blatant rip-offs too.

Kinsei

Banned
So, I was looking at this game on Amazon just to last minute price check before I pick it up in store tomorrow (finally!), when lo and behold I see this:

Monkey
81eTFLbX3uL._SL500_AA300_.png

How the hell is that blatant copyright infringement still up on the site? There are tons of other blatant rip-offs too.

They're not even consistent in their stolen screenshots. One of them is from DKCR3D.

Lebon14

Do you guys remember my post from last page? I mean this one:
Rage quitted on 2-K.
I understand those levels are meant to be ass-kicking hard. However, I just can't learn how the timing to Ennemy Bounce when blasting off a barrel. I started at 99 lives and I went down to 63 and 95% of those lives went wasted trying to pull of the first jump at the beginning.

GAF, any trick to get the timing down?

After learning the trick, thanks to you guys, I lost lives down to about 48 lives then I started to regain them slowly. So, I finished the level as I re-reached my 99 lives counter (on that EXACT attempt). And, of course, 999 banana coins was reached WAY before I had my winning run. That said, great level for banana coin farming.

Yeah, 2-K FINALLY down.

Now, my hands hurt.

Ok, so far

*screams internally*

Just beat 5-K. That was deliciously evil.

I've also been beating each level and getting all the KONG letters as I go, so I thought in World 5 that the
transition from fruit into popsicles when the level goes from fruit-themed to ice
was genius.

one_kill

Monkey
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81eTFLbX3uL._SL500_AA300_.png

lol

"I love this game its so fun and it never gets boring and I think it is even better than others, and my favorite thing about is that you can throw acorns i would recommend this app"

Just played 6-1 and discovered Homecoming Hijinx. Amazing how much music enhances the feel of returning home to perilously platform around your frozen home as it collapses before your eyes. In the running for my favorite track.

jnWake

I'm playing through Hard Mode now. It's quite cool to use
the other Kongs. I'm not using Donkey for Hard Mode, he already enjoyed a lot of play time!

World 7 had fun stages, but they weren't that hard. 7-1 gives you a free buddy and 7-2 isn't that difficult (but I love how trippy it is!). 7-3 was quite challenging though. I remember having more trouble in that floating fruits level in DKCR though.

Only "criticism" I have with this game is that mine cart levels were so much crazier in Returns. The level with the giant egg and the mix of platforming and cart in the volcano world were really cool and nothing here reaches that level imo. Only the sawmill level was surprising to me.

daripad

Ok last K levels completed

5-K: Goddamit! I hate hate hate hate this level. Tried more than 50 times until I got it. What a hard level, hardest in the game by far.
6-K: A bit easy considering the previous K levels, a dissapointment.

So...(spoilers ahead)

Unlocked World 7 and I'm dissapointed that it had just three levels, oh well.
7-1: The only difficult part was the last part with the small blocks roling in the air. I hated that part and thanks to it I played through almost all the level more than 30 times.
7-2: More or less a hard level, the rocket barrel and minecart parts could have been done crazier, it was a lame level in creativity.
7-3: Fun level and hard. Not a great way to end the game but it was fine.

Now let's play Hard mode!

Crossposting from David Wise thread. Top 5 favorite tracks?

No particular order...

1) Big Top Bop
2) Scorch'n'Torch
3) Twilight Terror (Stickerbrush remix)
4) Rockin' Relics (water)
5) Forest Folly

Obviously I'm leaving out a ton of great ones like Grassland Groove and Panicky Paddles (swimming), but you really can't go wrong with any of the songs!

Silkworm

This brings a smile to my face for when I get this game. 1-K on DKCR destroyed me after playing through the first level. I hope somebody else somewhere gets to experience the "This game isn't that hard. What was everyone talking about?...YOU'VE GOTTA BE JOKING ME" reaction I had once I played 1-K.

That's exactly what I felt/feel! :) I've still not beaten 1-K on DKCR *shame* But I'm only on level 3, so there's still time :-D

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
That's a lot of people getting stuck on 6-4 just like me.

/in denial
Did you make it in the end? By the way, as someone who likes to play the time attacks (only going for gold though, otherwise I'd probably never be done with the game), it's a bit funny to see that the levels where I always think "Oh, some time to relax and just take the free gold medal" are the ones that are the stopgates for others.

Did you make it in the end? By the way, as someone who likes to play the time attacks (only going for gold though, otherwise I'd probably never be done with the game), it's a bit funny to see that the levels where I always think "Oh, some time to relax and just take the free gold medal" are the ones that are the stopgates for others.

I've gotten distracted by TitanFall. Getting stuck on 6-4 as much as I did, and the prospect of returning to it, is kinda keeping me away at the moment.

ChaosXVI

I'm trying to beat the game on hard mode along with time trials, but how do you unlock the final 7 images? Must you get shiny golds? Or the Time Attack Heart things? I've completely beaten the first two worlds, with all hearts for World 1 with one shiny gold, and world 2 with all normal gold medals, and I've gotten the blue Kong letters for every stage in both worlds.

Anbec7

I just bought the game a few days ago and it's pretty awesome!

A question

Currently I'm playing with a friend in multiplayer but...

Is there an easier way to change partner Kongs in this?
There are some routes we could not open, is this due to secrets only available with different Kongs?

Thanks.

OMG Boss fights on hard mode are so hard ;_;

Yup. Most of the levels themselves were not overly challenging on hard, but them boss fights destroyed me haha.

I'm trying to beat the game on hard mode along with time trials, but how do you unlock the final 7 images? Must you get shiny golds? Or the Time Attack Heart things? I've completely beaten the first two worlds, with all hearts for World 1 with one shiny gold, and world 2 with all normal gold medals, and I've gotten the blue Kong letters for every stage in both worlds.

I collected all the images and haven't touched time trials. I'm not sure if collecting the blue KONG letters has anything to do with it though or if you just have to beat all the levels on hard.

Revven

Just 100%'d it today,
world 7 such a biiiitch!!
. But other than that, the K levels weren't all too bad -- certainly took me multiple tries, though.

Fantastic soundtrack + great gameplay = amazing game. I almost dare say it's my second favorite Wii U game (my top favorite being Wonderful 101).

I don't think I'm going to try for 200% (complete Hard for everything) but I might at least try a few levels on Hard just to see how it is (plus I want to try the other Kongs by themselves).

Murrah

Banned
Anyone on gaf doing time trials in any serious capacity? I'm having a ton of fun doing a level here and there (8th global in Windmill Hills right now, whaddup), but I'd have way more motivation to do more if anyone on my friends list was giving me competitive times. NNID is Murrah for all the speed runners that wanna add me (or you can add me even if you're not doing time trials if you really want to)

jnWake

Anyone on gaf doing time trials in any serious capacity? I'm having a ton of fun doing a level here and there (8th global in Windmill Hills right now, whaddup), but I'd have way more motivation to do more if anyone on my friends list was giving me competitive times. NNID is Murrah for all the speed runners that wanna add me (or you can add me even if you're not doing time trials if you really want to)

I'm going for every shiny gold and have a lot of good times. Check the list in the OP for GAF friends :p

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I've gotten distracted by TitanFall. Getting stuck on 6-4 as much as I did, and the prospect of returning to it, is kinda keeping me away at the moment.

I'd suggest trying this: Find a steady rhythm of pressing and then quickly releasing the B-button, to stabilise the barrel; as soon as you are able to fly in a straight line as much as you want, you should have the base feeling down (pressing B a bit longer -> go up, let it go a bit longer -> go down; usually go up and down in small steps and not by force). Now, if it's really so annoying to you and you have a hard time reacting to the obstacles, go to youtube and look for a recording of the stage. Always watch a segment (as much as you can keep in mind) and then play it, and pause. I don't know if any items like the bonus heart help in barrel sections but it's worth a try, too. Good luck :).

NEO0MJ

Just beat the game yesterday! It was a lot of fun, can't wait for the sequel
:p
Right now I'm unlocking the K levels, I skipped most of the secret exits on my playthrough, though I made sure to collect the KONG in every level that I played so I won't have to replay any levels for that reason.

sinxtanx

the secret exit in Panicky Paddles (5-4)...

is bullshit

But I still managed to get it, sanity intact. For those who don't know/remember, it's the one where you have to get Dixie through to the end, while the level has way more various ways to lose health than most other levels, and the only kong barrel is right at the beginning. I might be a bit strict on myself for not using any powerups but DAMN YOU whoever at Retro designed that specific challenge

Screenboy

the secret exit in Panicky Paddles (5-4)...

is bullshit

But I still managed to get it, sanity intact. For those who don't know/remember, it's the one where you have to get Dixie through to the end, while the level has way more various ways to lose health than most other levels, and the only kong barrel is right at the beginning. I might be a bit strict on myself for not using any powerups but DAMN YOU whoever at Retro designed that specific challenge

I used Cranky to bounce off the spiky fruits but the toughness still applies...

Top Bottom