• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

I just threw up a little bit...

Are you even a fan of the DKC games? These pics look exactly like the art style of the original trilogy had but obviously using next gen graphics

ps4-game-6935_mid_img2.jpg

ps4-game-6935_mid_img1.jpg

daydream

Banned
It's too cartoony and too similar to the NSMB games. The series lost it's visual identity.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a new visual identity? I mean, I understand that you don't like the new look, but why is Retro not allowed to do their own take on it?

I don't think it looks like NSMB at all, for the record.

Frolow

Banned
Just finished up 2-K and wow, that might go down as one of my favorite levels of any platformer ever. Everything about that level was simply fantastic.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a new visual identity? I mean, I understand that you don't like the new look, but why is Retro not allowed to do their own take on it?

I don't think it looks like NSMB at all, for the record.

If Retro wants to do their own take then why are they using so much of what Rare did (music, rambi, DK's family, the types of levels in DKCR, etc.) that was all Rare's hardwork. If Retro wants to do their own spin on the DK mythos thats fine but to call it Donkey Kong Country and copy over so much stuff from the original trilogy but at the same time want to do their own thing kind of comes across as half ass.

To explain better, they could have done for DK what they did with the Metroid games create their own completely new series that has a unique identity then make a quasi sequel.

That being said DKCR and TF are still very good games. I'll even go as far as saying Retro produces far better games than Naughty Dog. The art style and a few other things are just gripes I have because I hold the RARE games in very high esteem (as do many others) and would like Nintendo to keep as close to the originals look and feel as possible.

Just beat the game and unlocked hard mode. The dynamic level design and the way the art coalesces with the gameplay is definitely the high point. World 4 is the low point. Took me longer to get through that island than any other two islands put together.

I don't need another DKC anytime soon, but this was great fun. Retro (and Monster?) did an excellent job. I really liked the weight and feel behind controlling Donkey Kong, which is important in a platformer. The animation and music and snowmads also elevate the whole package.

Oidisco

How is it that Baobab Bonanza of all levels is destroying me on Hard Mode!? I actually had to skip the level for a while before I ended up breaking my controller!

I don't understand

Draconian

I like 2-5 a lot. A pretty simple concept, but man, it's a ton of fun. One of the few levels I found all the puzzle pieces on in my first playthrough.

Type_Raver

It's too cartoony and too similar to the NSMB games. The series lost it's visual identity.

Agreed.
Plus the simple looking geometry (inherit design based on wii's limitations) and flat platforms littered everywhere.

Trines color pallet wouldve been better imo.

But this argument has been beaten to death.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
This is the art style Retro should have used in their DKC games it would have been more true to the realistic mixed with claymation look of the original trilogy:

iR8pPPV3RbL0W.gif

Obviously it would have been less violent but it would have looked so beautiful to see new DKC games that looked like this which feels like an evolution from the RARE games. It would have wowed more people and garnered more sales and attention.

I would like this, definitely, although I can see this style getting real old real fast. They had to create one that could be used in sequels without people getting tired of it. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, though

braves01

Banned
Agreed.
Plus the simple looking geometry (inherit design based on wii's limitations) and flat platforms littered everywhere.

Trines color pallet wouldve been better imo.

But this argument has been beaten to death.

God no please. I'd be open to something darker like Oddworld, but Trine is just bloom overkill or something.

Blues1990

Is it wrong to say that I'm enjoying the game a lot more on Hard Mode, given that most of the levels (with the exception of the K-Levels & the Rocket Barrel segments) we're a bit of a breeze? Especially since I can now select any member of the Kong family & play however I want, which is the only complaint that I had with DCKR & DKC:TF (the lack of switching between DK & your current partner).

How is it that Baobab Bonanza of all levels is destroying me on Hard Mode!? I actually had to skip the level for a while before I ended up breaking my controller!

I don't understand
It's the hidden horror of hard mode.
My other bout of unexpected difficulty came from 1-K on hard mode.

I've been using Cranky, I'm just impatient and try to finish the level as fast as possible since it's one of my least favourite. But because to of my impatience I'm forced to endure this level again and again and again!
And then with Cranky the bounce temptation is too high, all those spiky objects to potentially bounce on just because you can was my undoing, also the swoopy birds.

Oidisco

It's the hidden horror of hard mode.
My other bout of unexpected difficulty came from 1-K on hard mode.

And then with Cranky the bounce temptation is too high, all those spiky objects to potentially bounce on just because you can was my undoing, also the swoopy birds.

My main problem is that I have to get all the KONG letters. I can't not get them!

BraXzy

Can anyone with a Classic Controller Pro from the original Wii do me a favour and see if it works with this on the Wii U? I'm wondering whether to get a cheap alternative for my little brother instead of a Wii U pro which is over double the price.

I have a Pro for myself so don't worry about that.

So I finally went ahead and rented this (I was skeptical). I actually like it. I still hold the original DKC games in high regard, but this one is pretty great. I skipped DKCR, so this is my first Retro DKC game.

I've managed to get to world 2 so far and I can definitely see the charm of it. Levels are lengthy (which is good), rolling+jump is fun to perform, and no time limit gives room for exploration. I just wish I could play as the other Kongs without resorting to co-op/Hard (if that's the case for switching to another Kong).

Yesssss. Finally 200% the game after sinking in a little less than 40 hours. Worth every penny.

If I get bored I might try and do all the time trials. I have a gold medal on all the levels in the 1st world, and a few in the 2nd, but gave up after that.

The worst part about getting all the artwork, though, is seeing all the amazing ideas that didn't make it into the final game :/

Honestly, the old DKC games were pretty ugly. DKCR and DKCR:TF are much nicer lookng games.

Agreed. They were an amazing graphical showcase for their time, but they haven't aged well. At all. Plus, the original trilogy, while having great graphics for its time, definitely lacked in the art style category.

BraXzy

Can anyone with a Classic Controller Pro from the original Wii do me a favour and see if it works with this on the Wii U? I'm wondering whether to get a cheap alternative for my little brother instead of a Wii U pro which is over double the price.

I have a Pro for myself so don't worry about that.

Anyone please? :(

NEO0MJ

Anyone please? :(

I think it was mentioned that it doesn't work with DKTF but I'll check it out now.

Edit: Yeah, it doesn't work. Still, you don't need two pro controllers to play without shaking the controller. One can play with the Wii U gamepad while the other plays with the pro controller.

Just finished this yesterday. The highlights were definitely the mine cart levels (as always), the boss battles, the environments, and the music. I thought the level design could have been a little better on some worlds, but overall it was alright. I'm not sure what the major consensus is, but I was not a fan of the inclusion of Cranky Kong. Diddy and Dixie were awesome sidekicks that really helped you a lot, but Cranky was almost like a detriment. A solid platformer and experience overall though, would recommend to any Nintendo enthusiast.

The consensus is the level design is incredible and so is Cranky. He really is the best one when you learn how to utilize his cane bounce properly.

NEO0MJ

Just beat the game 100%! Had a blast with it. Took me 16 hours to beat all the main levels. Didn't bother collecting the puzzle pieces though, except in the K levels and the last world. I have to agree with SaintMadeOfPlaster, it's really sad seeing some of the missing ideas they had for this game.
Especially for the final world. With the two delays you'd think they'd make the most of it and try adding more levels to the final world

phanphare

Banned
Just finished this yesterday. The highlights were definitely the mine cart levels (as always), the boss battles, the environments, and the music. I thought the level design could have been a little better on some worlds, but overall it was alright. I'm not sure what the major consensus is, but I was not a fan of the inclusion of Cranky Kong. Diddy and Dixie were awesome sidekicks that really helped you a lot, but Cranky was almost like a detriment. A solid platformer and experience overall though, would recommend to any Nintendo enthusiast.

nah man, nah. Cranky Kong is where it's at. I use him for every single level on land. I cane hop through about 70% of every level. Dixie is for underwater levels

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Just beat the game 100%! Had a blast with it. Took me 16 hours to beat all the main levels. Didn't bother collecting the puzzle pieces though, except in the K levels and the last world. I have to agree with SaintMadeOfPlaster, it's really sad seeing some of the missing ideas they had for this game.
Especially for the final world. With the two delays you'd think they'd make the most of it and try adding more levels to the final world

What's to say that the two delays didn't allow more content to get added. Also the two delays only totaled around 2 months of extra development time as the game was still finished in November. Toward the end of the project is when everything is trying to be finalized, not adding new content.

Every game has ideas that didn't make the cut due to time or feasibility.

TrueGrime

Last DK game I played was DKC 1 & 2. I remember that game having an amazing musical suite. I wonder if this game follows suit with great music.

Linkhero1

I agree, though, I thought the game was more than alright. I thought it was great. I also agree about Cranky. I didn't really use him and found him to just be there. You didn't really need him to finish the game. A lot of people complained about the difficulty but I didn't find the game to be too bad overall. The K levels were pretty easy.

Finally got the game today from Gamefly and it is so, so good. Even having seen so many of the levels already, it's still a lot of fun and the difficulty seems to be on point. The music still blows me away even though I've already heard the soundtrack dozens of times by now.

Elixist

made it to world 5, kinda meh on it so far. World 3 is brilliant just love dat grass man. Beautiful game with beautiful music that plays beautifully yup. Bosses are genius design loved everyone of them so far, just great patterns and memorizations.

jnWake

Cranky is a bit tricky to use in casual play, particularly when compared to Dixie. However, Cranky really shines in time trials, his pogo ability is incredible for speedy sections and high jumps.

EDIT: Just as I say that!

zlCfzRqMQDIApIs-Fw

Stage 2-2 Mountain Mania. A perfect example of how cool the pogo can be. I got hit in a silly way in the run by the way, so the time can be improved!

Sagitario

Quick question: is it just me or there is a difference between joystick and d-pad speed when moving the characters? I kinda prefer the d-pad, but I think Donkey speed/movement and jumps length are better with the joystick.
I switched to joystick and Bopopolis became so much easier.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question: is it just me or there is a difference between joystick and d-pad speed when moving the characters? I kinda prefer the d-pad, but I think Donkey speed/movement and jumps length are better with the joystick.
I switched to joystick and Bopopolis became so much easier.

You'll have to use the run button when playing the game with the d-pad, a.k.a the way 2D-platformers were conceived to be played by the gods

Tabasco

How is this game compared to Returns on Wii?

Not sure why but I stopped playing that game and never finished it. Maybe it was because of the wii remote gimmick?

Top Bottom