• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Sendou

How is this game compared to Returns on Wii?

Not sure why but I stopped playing that game and never finished it. Maybe it was because of the wii remote gimmick?

Better in every way but if you didn't like Returns you won't like this game unless it was something specific that you disliked like shaking Wiimote to roll for example that is optional in this game.

Better in every way but if you didn't like Returns you won't like this game unless it was something specific that you disliked like shaking Wiimote to roll for example that is optional in this game.

I liked Returns, but I'm really loving Tropical Freeze. The music, additional partners and no waggle really did wonders.

On a side note, 2-K was exhausting. Screw doing that without Dixie (which I attempted many times).

Sagitario

You'll have to use the run button when playing the game with the d-pad, a.k.a the way 2D-platformers were conceived to be played by the gods
I will check the button configuration cause I don't remember any run button :p
Using the joystick feels good, though (same with Returns).

On a side note, 2-K was exhausting. Screw doing that without Dixie (which I attempted many times).
Doing a solo run of Bopopolis is glorious! I loved the rhythm of the platforming and you can immediately tell high-jump/bouncing timing got improved from Returns.

Also, this is amazing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AESBxvG0CCk

Sagitario

Sooo I can't even beat that fucking Owl boss in World 2. I heard this game was hard but dayum.
I loved that boss fight, whoever designed it is a freaking genius.
I just arrived at World 4 and I don't think the game is that hard, at least not yet.
The rocket/mine cart levels are easier than the ones in Returns [so far].

maxcriden

I liked Returns, but I'm really loving Tropical Freeze. The music, additional partners and no waggle really did wonders.

I'm still working on beating 2-K, doing it solo. Been trying for a few days now. I know I can do it, but it is really difficult for me.

I will check the button configuration cause I don't remember any run button :p
Using the joystick feels good, though (same with Returns).

I'm using the R trigger to run with the d-pad control scheme.

Sooo I can't even beat that fucking Owl boss in World 2. I heard this game was hard but dayum.

That one took quite a while to beat. Keep at it, it'll feel great to beat!

I loved that boss fight, whoever designed it is a freaking genius.
I just arrived at World 4 and I don't think the game is that hard, at least not yet.
The rocket/mine cart levels are easier than the ones in Returns [so far].

There's one rocket level in particular that's rough (that you haven't encountered yet) but on the whole being able to get hit once before dying means the TF levels are a bit easier. Gear Getaway and Hot Rocket were brutal in DKCR. As was Crowded Cavern!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
What is it about David Wise that makes his work so awesome? I beat the game but I'm going back to play it again not for the tight gameplay and the gorgeous visuals but that amazing soundtrack. What planet is David Wise from because its so fucking good.

Lijik

Dont get people saying Cranky wasnt useful. Hes great for levels that rely on spikes, and his added abilities absolutely school the world 5 boss.

Maxrunner

Read that there was a Rare reference on some menu background....

edit:

here:

Retro_Contribution_Rare_DKCR.jpg

Dont get people saying Cranky wasnt useful. Hes great for levels that rely on spikes, and his added abilities absolutely school the world 5 boss.

He's for expert players that can exploit his cane bounce properly. Those who say he is no good have just plain not learned how to use him right. Not only is he good for protection from spikes but also spiked/shielded enemies. His cane bounce allows for faster descent on jumps and MUCH faster ascent than Dixie. This makes getting around much quicker with Cranky than anyone else, especially if you learn to utilize the rolljump into a cane bounce.

Yonafunu

image.php

mate, no it wasn't. You were just super skilled at it!

Dude, it's just jumping off enemies. You're doing the exact same thing throughout the entire stage. The first time I tried it I got through two thirds of the stage without a hitch, thinking "this can't be it, can it?" all the way through. It's not even close to the hardest stage so far.

and thank you

braves01

Banned
The tricky part of 2-K for me (when I did it w/ only DK) was when those flying penguins come in at the end. There are two or three in descending order where it's best not to bounce on hit, which is a little jarring when you've been trained to bounce through the first 3/4 of the level. Hang in there guys, you'll get.

Yonafunu

The tricky part of 2-K for me (when I did it w/ only DK) was when those flying penguins come in at the end. There are two or three in descending order where it's best not to bounce on hit, which is a little jarring when you've been trained to bounce through the first 3/4 of the level. Hang in there guys, you'll get.

I just bounced on everything. I think the stage is actually easier with just DK, since that forces you to commit to every jump and bounce. And it works, because every jump and bounce is perfectly reachable, if you just commit and go.

maxcriden

For me every darn time it's getting all of those flying penguins then not being able to bop high and far enough to that Walrus. I've done it once or twice but not made it much past there. I imagine I'm close to the end (please don't tell me either way though!).

I just bounced on everything. I think the stage is actually easier with just DK, since that forces you to commit to every jump and bounce. And it works, because every jump and bounce is perfectly reachable, if you just commit and go.

I'm curious which control scheme you use, sometimes that can make a difference. I'm using the GamePad and the d-pad. Not to diminish your skills, I'm just wondering about this.

Blues1990

When playing this game with some friends the other night, one of them had mentioned that he felt Dixie Kong's inclusion in the game otherwise makes Diddy's abilities worthless.

Does anyone else feel that way?

Yonafunu

For me every darn time it's getting all of those flying penguins then not being able to bop high and far enough to that Walrus. I've done it once or twice but not made it much past there. I imagine I'm close to the end (please don't tell me either way though!).

I'm curious which control scheme you use, sometimes that can make a difference. I'm using the GamePad and the d-pad. Not to diminish your skills, I'm just wondering about this.

I'm using Gamepad and Analogue Stick. That Walrus part is actually where I died on my first try. And probably my second and third.

EhoaVash

When playing this game with some friends the other night, one of them had mentioned that he felt Dixie Kong's inclusion in the game otherwise makes Diddy's abilities worthless.

Totally, I only use Dixie, the other 2 are worthless imo. Anyway, I'm unlocking all these K worlds ..and I'm totally not gonna beat any of them :(

someone tell me ..how important are the puzzle pieces? and getting K in the barrel at the end of the level? is this game like Mario 3D world where you have to get all 3 things aka KONG, Puzzle pieces and K in barrel to unlock the final special world ???

braves01

Banned

I found Diddy to be the least helpful too. Dixie gets about the same air time, plus a boost in height and the end of the jump.

Gsnap

Yes and no. Dixie is most likely the best kong for most stages. But Diddy and Cranky are very important for time trials.

And Diddy is best for a certain boss...

I just finished unlocked and finished 2-K. I never used Dixie/Diddy (just too lazy to back out and apply the item). It reminded me alot of the rhythm levels in Rayman Legends. There is a distinct rhythm to your bouncing.

It took me about 10 tries to beat. Which is way less than my first K (world 3) level. While in no way an easy level, I think it's far from the most difficult.

I've been using the Pro pad with the left stick control scheme.

jnWake

Dixie destroys Diddy in almost every stage that has no water sections. She's easier to use and the verticality of her ability is very helpful. Diddy, however, is a lot better for water stages and makes certain boss a lot easier...

Mlatador

Banned
I love world 4 by the way! No, serously, the underwater levels are so damn beautiful and a great mix of relaxing "swiming along" and "wtf, I NEED AIR - I'm dying!" moments. Key to them is definitely using the analog stick only (to swim very slowly), analog stick + A (breaststrockes = to swim slowly) and analog stick + waggle (to swim fast) in the appropriate situations.
Also, that minecart level
where you can go sideways for the first time
was amazing :)

The game just keeps on delivering! I freakin' love it :)

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
someone tell me ..how important are the puzzle pieces? and getting K in the barrel at the end of the level? is this game like Mario 3D world where you have to get all 3 things aka KONG, Puzzle pieces and K in barrel to unlock the final special world ???

Puzzle Pieces unlock extras content. The DK in the barrel at the end is just to get more bonuses. That's it.

Mlatador

Banned

Not really, Diddy Kong is the fastest Kong underwater for example. Otherwise Top 30 (worldwide) speedrun times in 1-2 wouldn't be possible.

Yonafunu

Ok, Wing Ding may have my favorite music in the entire game, original music at least. It's incredible. It gives me goosebumps every single time.

I just beat this Thursday night. It was hard, but not as hard as DKCR. I really loved it. I'm not going to collect all the crap, because I don't really enjoy that, so I'm glad it's not locking me out of a third of the game because of that, like SM3DW.

BraXzy

Introduced my GF to DK:CR 3D in preparation for Tropical Freeze.. loses three hearts on the second level and Diddy disappears, all I hear is her exclaim: "Oh no! What happened to my baby?!"

lewl

TheBear

Just got up to World 2. Man this is pretty. I wasn't really feeling the first world since it felt just like returns but W2 feels a lot fresher. I think I like this a lot more than returns so far.

Vinc

Pretty much the best music track ever written in years.

It shouldnt even be in a game basically.

I agree. It's probably my single favorite video game music track ever at this point. I can't believe it myself, but this game's OST surpasses DKC2's, and maybe the game itself does as well. David Wise brings so much to this game... Nintendo needs to keep him around.

Vinc

Just got up to World 2. Man this is pretty. I wasn't really feeling the first world since it felt just like returns but W2 feels a lot fresher. I think I like this a lot more than returns so far.

If you like the old games, expect this one to feel a lot more like a proper Donkey Kong Country game than returns did. I liked returns, but it didn't scratch that DKC itch I've had nagging me over the past... 18-19 years? Tropical Freeze, however, totally freakin' did... and then some.

jnWake

Some Time Trial bragging!

zlCfzRqiZVcMMp5YE_

First sub-1:28 time in 2-2! Nailing the timing for all the stage is a pain so I hope the record isn't beaten that quick (I bet it will).

zlCfzRqiWy03BB-F28

Managed to improve my time in 4-5, so now the distance is more respectable (it used to be 0.03).

Now I can continue getting shiny golds (I was like a whole week only doing these two stages!).

BraXzy

When I get my Wii U set up and play through this game, I can't wait to attempt the time records.. even though everyone will have a major advantage over me due to practice, and I'm not that good at platformers. Top 10 on a level would be cool :D

maxcriden

When I get my Wii U set up and play through this game, I can't wait to attempt the time records.. even though everyone will have a major advantage over me due to practice, and I'm not that good at platformers. Top 10 on a level would be cool :D

You can do it man! I haven't done any time trials yet but I'm really looking forward to it. I was so proud to get a Diamond Cup last summer in Rayman, felt good.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
So what are everyone's favorite tracks? I'm still going through them all but my favorites are definitely Amiss Abyss, Busted Bayou, Scorch n Torch, and Boss 1 theme.

Top Bottom