• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

ive found every puzzle piece and kong letter, but i cant beat the final boss!! im gonna give it a rest for a couple of days, play some titanfall, then go back...lol

Don't overthink it. Also, as a tip:
If you need health, just bounce on a helmeted enemy, roll through them, and you'll probably get a heart. The viking leader won't come back even if you miss the first round of throwing enemies at him, so there's not really any risk to doing this.

Zalman

I haven't played DKCR3D but I can imagine the time trials being a pain in the ass, especially if you're used to doing TT in DKCTF, that's why I said the fps comment. For casual play I guess it doesn't matter.
I think it's a bigger pain in the Wii version with all the waggling.

I completely forgot about Wiimote controls for TF! That's a great idea. And I thought I'd read somewhere that Rocket Barrel stages were improved somehow on the 3DS. Maybe it was just having an extra heart or something.

Anyways the framerate is the main that's conflicting for the 3DS really, since I do notice it and I can certainly see it bothering me. If I do find the motion controls comfortable I'll just get the Wii version I think. If not then I guess I'll get the 3DS version. The framerate might bother me but it wont make it much less fun for me. Thanks for the answer anyways (and the other poster too).

Extremely jealous that you get to experience DKCR for the first time. It's the
very slightly
better of the two games.

69wpm

ive found every puzzle piece and kong letter, but i cant beat the final boss!! im gonna give it a rest for a couple of days, play some titanfall, then go back...lol

I had problems with him too because I was so stubborn to try and beat him with cranky. Picked Dixie yesterday and beat him without taking any damage. If you choose her, use the Kong Pow to get extra lives.

After playing New Super Mario Bros Wii U/Lugi Wii U/Super Mario 3D World in the last year it's obvious how the camera in this game isn't really designed around co-op. Doesn't zoom out or anything which means both players need to be right on top of each other for fear of being panned out.

Good game, but big flaw.

Nah. It was, and is, brilliant. But TF trumps it in just about every way. Though David Wise alone was enough to do the trick ;)

I think they both have areas where they excel, though DKCR's strengths over TF (difficulty, level design, initial freshness at the time of release) push it over the edge for me. TF undoubtedly has better audiovisuals, bosses, and variety though. Just my opinion...

I think they both have areas where they excel, though DKCR's strengths (difficulty, level design, initial freshness at the time of release) push it over the edge for me. TF undoubtedly has better audiovisuals, bosses, and variety though. Just my opinion...

"Initial freshness at the time of release" - That ones certainly true, but that's not going to impact someone who could play either as their first game.

With that said, I would recommend them start with DKCR first, if only because I think playing TF first would be more damaging to it than the other way around

ZeroX03

Banned
Extremely jealous that you get to experience DKCR for the first time. It's the
very slightly
better of the two games.

Personally, Tropical Freeze is far better. DKCR was good, but this game is fantastic. It's better in every conceivable way I can think of.

Beat every level, all KONG letters. Doing puzzle pieces but probably won't try the time trials, they'll kick my ass.

"Initial freshness at the time of release" - That ones certainly true, but that's not going to impact someone who could play either as their first game.

With that said, I would recommend them start with DKCR first, if only because I think playing TF first would be more damaging to it than the other way around

Oh I don't disagree... Especially playing one right after the other. It's not something that really effects me personally as I don't think great level design ages, and I believe DKCR has even stronger level design than TF. I felt the same about Galaxy vs. Galaxy 2. I realize I am in the minority in these opinions but I thought both sequels took a very slight step back from the originals in terms of level design.

ZeroX03

Banned
I've used Kong Pow against enemies zero times.

The only time I've ever used it was by accident. Keep forgetting it exists, and enemies are usually better to bounce jump off anyway.

NEO0MJ

Man, level 5-k is a pain. Am I the only masochist who outright refuses to pick up a partner for the K levels, even when it's offered to you?

Man, level 5-k is a pain. Am I the only masochist who outright refuses to pick up a partner for the K levels, even when it's offered to you?

Nope. I laughed at them for thinking I needed help. Kelbaugh definitely lied when he said they didn't lower the difficulty from DKCR.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
On a totally unrelated note, I'm really not into Shoal Atoll. I think it's far and away the one real misstep in the game and the worst level I've played. I appreciate what they were trying to do but I just don't think it worked. I'm glad this is the only level like this (AFAIK).

I agree and don't like this level either. However, it's not the only level I don't like. There are a few levels (not as bad as Shoal Atoll), where the timing is a bit off. The last Rambi-stage for example is just sluggish, when you go for max speed. You always have to hold back a bit and that's annoying and not fun. Also, while I found the bonus for beating all K levels fantastic quality wise, I missed the sheer brutalness of the DKCR one's. Overall, for me DKCR and DKCTF are about equal, because DKCTF has the higher highs, whereas DKCR is a bit more consistent for me. Also, for time trials, they've basically shafted me. Shiny Gold requires too much learning of the level, so I don't like doing that for all levels in either game. But standard gold times were sometimes made so easy that you almost got it "for free". Making gold a bit easier than in DKCR was OK, but sometimes they overdid it.

All in all, it's difficult for me to say which platformer is my favourite among the ones released in the last few days. Disregarding YNI, which I personally love a lot, but where there are definitely some freshness and presentation issues, it's a three-way-tie between NSMBU, DKCTF and Rayman. Rayman being the weakest in single player (and is often times cheating in its level designs), but it's so incredible in coop, one of the best multiplayer experiences ever. NSMBU has the best mechanics and gameplay-wise the best level design imo. Really expertly designed around the perfect mechanics and always completely following the initial ruleset. Finally, DKCTF is a bit showcase-ladden, but it has an incredible presentation, some outstanding level designs (I'm still working on my per-world-favourite-level-list) and mechanics very well tuned for medium and high level play.

So, to conclude, on a technical level, NSMBU wins by its expertly design, DKCTF wins in presentation and well-timed level design and Rayman Legends wins in mechanical creativity. None of the games can replace one of the others for me, none of them can easily claim the number one spot without taking personal preferences into account.

phanphare

Banned
I think I'm the only one that liked Shoal Atoal. It's my least favourite water level, but I still found it to be enjoyable.

I absolutely loved this one. it probably helped that I went through all of the available passages first not realizing that I had to open each chest so when I realized that it changed up the vibe of the level for me and I had already found most of the nooks and crannies
the blue chest
. I just really like what they set out to do with the level and I thought they pulled it off pretty well,
especially with the new enemies that spawned once you opened each chest

on an unrelated note I can't believe how high on this game I still am. my "honeymoon" period with video games doesn't usually last this long or last through the entirety of the game. broken record time, but retro really did pull of something special with this one. it's almost like peering into an alternate reality where 2D platformers are still big budget AAA games and being able to see how they would have evolved over time

Vinc

My favorite game of all time, as reflected by my avatar, is DKC2.

This game is quickly becoming a strong candidate to surpass it. I'm at the beginning of World 5 and I don't want it to end.

I know it's an unpopular opinion around here, but I really hope Retro makes another sequel.

Mlatador

Banned
After playing New Super Mario Bros Wii U/Lugi Wii U/Super Mario 3D World in the last year it's obvious how the camera in this game isn't really designed around co-op. Doesn't zoom out or anything which means both players need to be right on top of each other for fear of being panned out.

Good game, but big flaw.

I think not having a camera that zoomes out too much encourages to combine your abilities more (small Kongs jumping on the back of Donkey Kong = acting as one).

phanphare

Banned
My favorite game of all time, as reflected by my avatar, is DKC2.

This game is quickly becoming a strong candidate to surpass it. I'm at the beginning of World 5 and I don't want it to end.

I know it's an unpopular opinion around here, but I really hope Retro makes another sequel.

hahaha yep. I'm right there with you. they need to finish the trilogy. I remember hearing things like "any development studio at Nintendo could have made another Donkey Kong game. Retro should be doing ___________". well Tropical Freeze took that notion and publicly shamed it. there is nothing more that I would want from Retro other than another Donkey Kong game. unfortunately I'm worried all the whining will dictate their next project...granted I'll blindly buy anything they make at this point so it's not really too much of a problem haha

Mlatador

Banned

I don't think that's an unpupular opinion around here. It's just that now DK fans have gotten their fix (and boy, what a good one :D), it's time for Metroid to get some love from Retro next!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I liked the Metroid Prime and DK games I hope they don't revisit either with their next game, so I guess that makes me the real odd one out. They are one of the only studios I'd be there day one for regardless of what they make though.

Just reached the boss of World 6 (have yet to discover 6-A, 6-B and 6-K). Damn, Retro and Wise went beast mode for that world. It's so goddamn beautiful.

Boogiepop

Just finished up getting all the KONG Letters/Puzzle Pieces/beating all the levels. Just out of curiosity, can I get the last figurine now in theory, or no? I pumped in for like 50 figurines after beating the last level and still didn't get
the pig guy
. Not worth heading back in to play around with the random chance generator for, but I'm curious. I'm assuming messing with
time trials and hard mode
would just be for the last handful of concept art and my own personal enjoyment? If so I guess I'll just save that for when I want to revisit the game, as I'm already just a tad worn down from completing all this stuff.

All in all, I really enjoyed my time with the game. There are a few things that were disappointing, but overall it was great. It's a shame that there's no Enguarde for the water levels, but on the other hand they did a great job differentiating the partners even there. Cranky can tear through stuff! I also would've liked a few more minecart levels. Those were absolutely fantastic here, but there were so few! My jaw dropped on Sawmill Thrill, and I think it may still be my favorite level from the game. The final boss also somehow felt a little flat conceptually. I mean, the fight was definitely challenging enough, but I was totally expecting
either another world to fight through with a "true final boss" or maybe at least fighting his ice bird or something
. It was a solid fight, don't get me wrong, but I just expected something... bigger to end the game.

Also, Dixie was hands down my go to partner by the end of the game! She just feels so good to control. Plus I guess it helps that she was required for a surprising number of things.

I am in level 4-5 and this game is so fucking great!!! I don´t have Pikmin 3 or W101 yet, but I think this is my favorite Wii U game. It is pretty close with SM3DW and tough to compare them. I am currently playing both and LoZ WW HD, I start the Wii U and stare at the Wii U Menu for like 10 seconds, since I got this game I always click on DK icon. Toughest thing about this game is to stop playing, this is so addictive to me. I have so much work to do, yesterday night I had to work and ended up starting DKCTF, when I noticed it was 2am.

I love how you start hating on 2-k and by the time you get the hang of it you are in love. 3-k is pretty easy.

I will surely get into the time trials when I complete this game so watch out!!

chadboban

FINALLY!!!

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01wjkde.jpg

As much as I liked the Metroid Prime and DK games I hope they don't revisit either with their next game, so I guess that makes me the real odd one out. They are one of the only studios I'd be there day one for regardless of what they make though.

This isn't an unpopular opinion at all. It is one I share and many others across gaming communities call for. Metroid fans are still very sour over Other M, but there is absolutely no reason why another team within the Nintendo family couldn't make Metroid if they wanted to. Next Level... Intelligent Systems... Hell, even give an EAD team a crack at it.

maxcriden

Oh man, finally got to 2-K today and burned through a solid 40 lives or so. I think I'm near the end but I gave it a break for the night. Whew. Amazingly fun level, I love it.

jnWake

zlCfzRo9oDoZk3yKn_

Nailed it! I bet CrypticJacknife will take the record back soon because his strat has a part I can't pull off and I think he can easily pull off my strat. In any case, holding a WR even for a night is cool :p

Stage 4-5 by the way.

zlCfzRo9oDoZk3yKn_

Nailed it! I bet CrypticJacknife will take the record back soon because his strat has a part I can't pull off and I think he can easily pull off my strat. In any case, holding a WR even for a night is cool :p

Stage 4-5 by the way.

Congrats!! I will dive deep into speed runs on this game as I absolutely love it, I hope I get good enough.

The replay functionality is a really great addition and adds so much because you can see what technique the WR holder is using, so it keeps the competition going.

Oh man, finally got to 2-K today and burned through a solid 40 lives or so. I think I'm near the end but I gave it a break for the night. Whew. Amazingly fun level, I love it.

Jump 3 times in the first big owl before jumping into the barrel to get a life

Mlatador

Banned
zlCfzRo9oDoZk3yKn_

Stage 4-5 by the way.

So you finally did it? Amazing!!! :D Kongratulations!

braves01

Banned
I just finished the game! I liked the final boss fight much better than the last one. Tough, but fair--like the rest of the game for the most part. Now I've got to go get puzzle pieces for half the levels so hard mode can begin. I'll skip speedruns since I just don't have the skill or dedication for those. Good on those of you able to get golds, let alone top leaderboards.

I just finished the game! I liked the final boss fight much better than the last one. Tough, but fair--like the rest of the game for the most part. Now I've got to go get puzzle pieces for half the levels so hard mode can begin. I'll skip speedruns since I just don't have the skill or dedication for those. Good on those of you able to get golds, let alone top leaderboards.

I usually don't, but I think I will do it for this game or at least try. I am so glad Retro worked on this game!!

mf luder

You know you only need to get all the kong letters to unlock hard mode right?

Draconian

I got this for my birthday and played the first three levels. Yeah, this is fantastic. Coming off of DKR 3D, which I thought was a great port, the framerate makes a load of difference. It looks spectacular in HD too. Extremely detailed backgrounds and the music is awesome too! Anyway, I look forward to seeing what they come up with once the game starts getting harder. The levels seem longer than the first game.

Also, did Returns have secret exits? I found the one in 1-2, but don't remember finding any in Returns.

rawktapus

I got this for birthday and played the first three levels. Yeah, this is fantastic. Coming off of DKR 3D, which I thought was a great port, the framerate makes a load of difference. It looks spectacular in HD too. Extremely detailed backgrounds and the music is awesome too! Anyway, I look forward to seeing what they come up with once the game starts getting harder. The levels seem longer than the first game.

Also, did Returns have secret exits? I found the one in 1-2, but don't remember finding any in Returns.

Nope, I think those are new to Tropical Freeze.

javac

I had some difficulty with the last boss and it was pissing me off lol. At the end when I finally beat him and you go in for the customary punch I just went crazy on the buttons and I just went "Mothhhhheeerrrr fuuuuuuccckkkkkeeerrrrr!" Felt so good to beat that fucker. My brother just sarcastically started clapping Citizen Kane style.

Top Bottom