• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, finally got to 2-K today and burned through a solid 40 lives or so. I think I'm near the end but I gave it a break for the night. Whew. Amazingly fun level, I love it.

DK solo, go for gold bro! :)

retro has done it again.
Only from you does this phrase carry some twisted damnation!

Maybe it's just me, but while I had a couple of issues with it in the original game, I had no trouble with it this time at all. Maybe it's because I mostly used Dixie?
They appear to have slightly increased the length of time for the high bounce input, going back to DKCR made it all the more noticeable.

squid

Just finished the game tonight. I really enjoyed
world 7
. But to be honest, I feel this game peaked at worlds 2 and 3. The first half of this game is absolutely terrific, kept me glued to the game. But World 4 I hated (I despise water levels), and world 5 and 6 were mixed bags. Overall I still much prefer this game to any of the NSMB games, but it's about on par with DKCR I'd say. I was disappointed they cut down the amount of mine cart levels :-(

That Frosty Fruits song though... Just awesome!

zsidane

zlCfzRo9oDoZk3yKn_

Nailed it! I bet CrypticJacknife will take the record back soon because his strat has a part I can't pull off and I think he can easily pull off my strat. In any case, holding a WR even for a night is cool :p

Stage 4-5 by the way.

Kongratulations!

The competition/score-whore in me still plays Rayman Legends everyday thanks to the daily challenges! I'll try to beat the game by this weekend in order to see how good I'm against the world and NeoGAF.

Vinc

I can't get over the soundtrack in this game. I can't believe that after so long, David Wise is still just as good as ever. This OST might beat DKC2's.

maxcriden

i am about 75% complete. going to at least play through every level. it's clearly superior to dkcr for a number of reasons, but carries with it a lot of that game's issues.

Miyamoto said:
We received a top score for “Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze” from Viewtiful JC, a NeoGAF user who gives coveted scores for games, at the beginning of this year, and our games are highly praised for their quality. The fact that they did not lead to generating wider consumer interest among the general AniHawk public is, however, something that we have to take very seriously.

;)

DK solo, go for gold bro! :)

On it, thanks amigo!

They appear to have slightly increased the length of time for the high bounce input, going back to DKCR made it all the more noticeable.

You know, I was thinking this too. It seemed much more unforgiving in DKCR.

Griss

world 7
. But to be honest, I feel this game peaked at worlds 2 and 3. The first half of this game is absolutely terrific, kept me glued to the game. But World 4 I hated (I despise water levels), and world 5 and 6 were mixed bags. Overall I still much prefer this game to any of the NSMB games, but it's about on par with DKCR I'd say. I was disappointed they cut down the amount of mine cart levels :-(

I haven't played this one yet, but I felt very similarly about DKCR. Unlike a lot of Nintendo games, it used up most of its tricks in the first half, leaving little new for the second half. Now, super level design meant that it remained pretty damn good until the end, but I did feel like the pacing was a little off.

Can't wait until I have some free time to play this one, though. It sounds fantastic.

yesrushdt

Absolutely love the challenge of the K levels. I've died so many times the last couple nights trying to clear 5-K. :p The K levels in DKCR were harder in my opinion, but not by a whole lot.

I think I heard a lot of people complain about that one but it wasn't that bad. Personally 5-K was the worst,
it's one of the few levels in the game that I can consider trial and erro
r.

I don't think so. Like many levels, you just need to react quickly and precisely. I was able to get to the final sequence (where you are descending diagonally) on my very first try before I panicked and died.

jnWake

I almost snatched WR in 2-2 today. Just 0.12 off the current best run u.u. I may attempt it again this weekend.

On the bright side, I managed to stretch the lead in 4-5 to almost 0.5 seconds now. The record should last a bit more.

@Draconian: Yeah, that's a weird omission. I'm sure DKCR had a restart level option, at least when you beat a level.

EhoaVash

I'm so late getting this game, just got it today :3..loving it the music the visuals, the difficulty...

my only complaint is how awkward some of the button mapping is for things such as grabbing on to vines, ..I'm so used to mario that a lot of the controls here are still taking time getting used to lol, constantly getting mario controls mixed up in DK. Also is it required to get every single puzzle pieces to unlock the final world?? ...or am I good with just kong letters ._. .... some of them are soo annoying to get ..especially when I'm getting my ass handed to me .in world 2 lol it gets me so pissed that I'm like fuck that puzzle piece

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I'm so late getting this game, just got it today :3..loving it the music the visuals, the difficulty...

my only complaint is how awkward some of the button mapping is for things such as grabbing on to vines, ..I'm so used to mario that a lot of the controls here are still taking time getting used to lol, constantly getting mario controls mixed up in DK. Also is it required to get every single puzzle pieces to unlock the final world?? ...or am I good with just kong letters ._. .... some of them are soo annoying to get ..especially when I'm getting my ass handed to me .in world 2 lol it gets me so pissed that I'm like fuck that puzzle piece

Then change the control scheme to one you're happy with.

EhoaVash

Then change the control scheme to one you're happy with.

I'm trying ... still not used to it..first I used the gamepad, which I liked but not being able to use triggers to roll and using X & Y is too weird for me and the battery died too, it's charging atm. The wii mote & nunchuck combo was perffect ..until that rambi section where the constant waggling made it annoying. Wii mote by it self is also too waggle centric also =/...

I need to get a pro controller sooner or later..still waiting on it for when smash releases.

Draconian

1-K was much easier for me this time than in Returns, but that's probably because I was expecting it to get hard, unlike in Returns where I was expecting something on par with the difficulty of the rest of the levels of World 1.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Whew, was expecting a much worse time with the world 4 boss on hard mode. Time for some world 5!

zsidane

Beat world 2 yesterday (took a more than a couple of retries to beaut the owl!). Absolutely love 3-1. I'm trying not to rush the game!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
5-K took some tries, but it wasn't that bad? Great level!

maxcriden

Tried 2-K a bunch more yesterday and made it just a touch further. I think I must be near the end. Hopefully I can conquer it today.

Christ, 4-1 on Hard Mode was infuriating. Those goddamn teeth and currents pushing you towards them kept getting me. Not to mention grabbing that G while trying to avoid the urchins right at the end. Finally beat it thanks to Dixie. Cranky just wasn't working out.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I'm trying ... still not used to it..first I used the gamepad, which I liked but not being able to use triggers to roll and using X & Y is too weird for me and the battery died too, it's charging atm. The wii mote & nunchuck combo was perffect ..until that rambi section where the constant waggling made it annoying. Wii mote by it self is also too waggle centric also =/...

I need to get a pro controller sooner or later..still waiting on it for when smash releases.
There is an option to change roll to be on the triggers and grab/run to be on X & Y.

Berordn

Christ, 4-1 on Hard Mode was infuriating. Those goddamn teeth and currents pushing you towards them kept getting me. Not to mention grabbing that G while trying to avoid the urchins right at the end. Finally beat it thanks to Dixie. Cranky just wasn't working out.

Dixie's my hard mode princess <3

Cranky's pretty good for ignoring large swathes of otherwise hostile level design, but it's a hard sell over the general usefulness and versatility of Dixie's float/jump.

braves01

Banned
Tried 2-K a bunch more yesterday and made it just a touch further. I think I must be near the end. Hopefully I can conquer it today.

Are you going for all the puzzle pieces, or hard mode, or just clearing? I used Dixie and beat 2-K on my first try, no pieces though. Dixie kinda breaks the level. Making it through with only DK is quite a bit tougher!

maxcriden

Are you going for all the puzzle pieces, or hard mode, or just clearing? I used Dixie and beat 2-K on my first try, no pieces though. Dixie kinda breaks the level. Making it through with only DK is quite a bit tougher!

Oh, no Dixie. No puzzle pieces or hard mode yet, though, just doing a first runthrough. My wife will come back and get the puzzle pieces in this one (we switch off levels). She's already dreading it a bit, haha. Yeah, it is a lot more difficult with just DK. I start out the level with Dixie from where I saved so I immediately die so I can play it through with just DK. I figure if they don't give you a barrel in the level they designed the level to be played without it by default. It's tough, but fair and fun. One of my favorite levels in the game so far for sure (and I've played almost all of them at this point).

Niraj

5-K took some tries, but it wasn't that bad? Great level!

I didn't think it was that bad either. Only took 2-3 tries on normal, just cleared it in one go on hard with DK. I had more trouble with 6-K, but maybe I'm just weird lol.

This will probably be the most recent game that I will not 100%. I like the difficulty curve of the main levels and even the extra world. However, I really cannot stand the cheapness of the K levels. It always seems like the littlest mistake causes you to die. However, the main game is pretty awesome. Worlds 2 and 3 are my favorite, with 4 and 6 bringing up the rear. I cannot decide the bottom two though...

world 4 boss.........

are you fucking kidding me Retro?

This is awful.
Man you should have been there when I beat the boss. I was so mad because I was at the last phase and I missed hitting the enemy into the boss and died. The boss lengths in this game are terrible because I have zero desire to ever replay them. I however will play Grassland Grove over and over.

Niraj

Love Jelly Jamboree. Not the hardest level, but it's fun and they did a great job with the squishiness of the jelly. It's pretty perfect.

world 7

I have to agree with you. I feel like World 2 and 3 were the high points. I thought 4 was pretty solid since the swim controls were good, but the boss in that world was so bad. 5 and 6 are mixed bags, but I would give the edge to 6. To me it is on par with NSMB U, but better than DKCR and the previous NSMB games. Honestly it is the first Retro game that I actually liked (just not a huge fan of FPS, so did not cling to Metroid Prime compared to Fusion).

Love Jelly Jamboree. Not the hardest level, but it's fun and they did a great job with the squishiness of the jelly. It's pretty perfect.

Yeah, that level was what I needed after the rocket barrel level. I still hate the rocket barrel levels. They got rid of most of the animal friends for a barrel? *Sigh*

This is the art style Retro should have used in their DKC games it would have been more true to the realistic mixed with claymation look of the original trilogy:

iR8pPPV3RbL0W.gif

Obviously it would have been less violent but it would have looked so beautiful to see new DKC games that looked like this which feels like an evolution from the RARE games. It would have wowed more people and garnered more sales and attention.

NEO0MJ

Obviously it would have been less violent but it would have looked so beautiful to see new DKC games that looked like this which feels like an evolution from the RARE games. It would have wowed more people and garnered more sales and attention.

This look would have probably worked pretty well with Rare's vision of the game, but Retro isn't Rare and they have their own idea on how a DK game should look.
And I doubt a darker style would have had much of an effect on sales. Besides, it would have made the platforming more difficult.

phanphare

Banned
This is the art style Retro should have used in their DKC games it would have been more true to the realistic mixed with claymation look of the original trilogy:

iR8pPPV3RbL0W.gif

I just threw up a little bit...

iR8pPPV3RbL0W.gif

I agree - I think it would've been close to the originals if it looked like this. Would've much preferred it, even if Retro's games look beautiful as-is.

Top Bottom