• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Elixist

So what are everyone's favorite tracks? I'm still going through them all but my favorites are definitely Amiss Abyss, Busted Bayou, Scorch n Torch, and Boss 1 theme.

man cant remember specifics, but i think 3-2, and Bayou definetely stands out, not just with music but the whole package.

Andrew.

Banned
The last boss can go fuck himself.

I mean, I only died once and threw in the towel for the night. It just took so long and was so dragged out. I get it, with the pattern recognition and shit, but damn.

I can only imagine what the satisfaction feels like after beating that sonafabitch.

phanphare

Banned
I just made 4-K my bitch
after like 20 lives :)

it's astounding how I can have issues with sections early on but by the end I breeze through the first 2/3's of the level, no problem. those K levels man, they really are like the tests for the game. I bet
world 7
is going to kick my ass

also something I noticed about the enemy with the pufferfish-on-a-stick weapon. the pufferfish blink their eyes and squint when you hit him. pretty funny

So what are everyone's favorite tracks? I'm still going through them all but my favorites are definitely Amiss Abyss, Busted Bayou, Scorch n Torch, and Boss 1 theme.

busted bayou for sure. horn top hop is another good one. amiss abyss is heavenly. one that's in the game for such a brief period of time but is amazing is the land music in irate eight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDiPCSXJZy0&index=34

that bass tone is so rich and so warm. I love it. and the slight delay on the horn is great. gives it a sort of MM&W vibe

I just made 4-K my bitch
after like 20 lives :)

it's astounding how I can have issues with sections early on but by the end I breeze through the first 2/3's of the level, no problem. those K levels man, they really are like the tests for the game. I bet
world 7
is going to kick my ass

also something I noticed about the enemy with the pufferfish-on-a-stick weapon. the pufferfish blink their eyes and squint when you hit him. pretty funny

World 7
will kick your ass

Its kicked mine pretty hard especially
the second levels with the clouds falling its awesome

Busted Bayou, Canopy Chaos, Horn Top Bop, Trunk Twister, Jammin' Jams, Scorch n' Torch, Cannon Canyon, Harvest Hazards/Panicky Paddles, Wing Ding, Twilight Terror, Amiss Abyss, Secret Seclusion, and Punch Bowl. ...To name a few. :)

braves01

Banned
Busted Bayou is a favorite, but I love those underwater themes too. That music from the snowflake level in world 6 is good too.

Mlatador

Banned
Some Time Trial bragging!

zlCfzRqiZVcMMp5YE_

First sub-1:28 time in 2-2! Nailing the timing for all the stage is a pain so I hope the record isn't beaten that quick (I bet it will).

zlCfzRqiWy03BB-F28

Managed to improve my time in 4-5, so now the distance is more respectable (it used to be 0.03).

Now I can continue getting shiny golds (I was like a whole week only doing these two stages!).

DAYUM!! :D Keeping Gaf's hardcore spirit alive, eh? ^_^

honestly my favorite song in the game is one that plays a couple of times but the music and hell both levels it crops up in (and how the music progresses with them, naturally), are just golden to me

Beehive Brawl/Jelly Jamboree (here's the music on its own. I don't think it holds up for listening on its own compared to some of the rest of the tracks but atmospherically I think it's really something else)

second favorite

Harvest Hazards

and somewhere below those two on my list but above the rest of the soundtrack is this one, I'm finding myself humming or whistling this one all the time now

Dat Zip Line Shrine
datassplz.png

World 1 is goddamn top tier tunes btw; I'm genuinely surprised to rarely hear about it outside of Busted Bayou

Linkhero1

I was fine for most of it but he just moves so fast in the final stage that it is hard to get hits on him (plus the hit box is so small, would land on the horns often).

True. I was laughing while watching my brother try to bop on top of him earlier today. He's an ass in his final stage.

Freaking hated the final boss. His dumbass shimmying when you grabbed one of his minions to toss at him was way too annoying, imo. Not to mention his wacky hitbox when he charges across the arena.

...Not sure if I'll be able to handle him on Hard Mode.

I love world 4 by the way! No, serously, the underwater levels are so damn beautiful and a great mix of relaxing "swiming along" and "wtf, I NEED AIR - I'm dying!" moments.

Agreed. Sea Breeze Cove was a great change of pace and adds to the great variety this game has.

Totally, I only use Dixie, the other 2 are worthless imo. Anyway, I'm unlocking all these K worlds ..and I'm totally not gonna beat any of them :(

someone tell me ..how important are the puzzle pieces? and getting K in the barrel at the end of the level? is this game like Mario 3D world where you have to get all 3 things aka KONG, Puzzle pieces and K in barrel to unlock the final special world ???

Cranky can accomplish everything Dixie can and more (and much faster too). If you are just concerned about unlocking all the levels, just go after the KONG letters.

When playing this game with some friends the other night, one of them had mentioned that he felt Dixie Kong's inclusion in the game otherwise makes Diddy's abilities worthless.

Does anyone else feel that way?

Diddy's jetpack has more stability than Dixie's ponytail, which beginner players might find helpful. Some might argue that his underwater abilities are superior as well.

Pretty much the best music track ever written in years.

It shouldnt even be in a game basically.

It's actually a chord progression that has basically been done to death in music. A friend of mine was playing the song "Artpop" by Lady Gaga and I immediately heard Seashore War. I like the piece but it's far from being one of the more original or creative pieces in the game.

Ok, Wing Ding may have my favorite music in the entire game, original music at least. It's incredible. It gives me goosebumps every single time.

It's weird... Wing Ding is one of my favorite levels in the game yet it's music did absolutely nothing for me.

I just beat this Thursday night. It was hard, but not as hard as DKCR. I really loved it. I'm not going to collect all the crap, because I don't really enjoy that, so I'm glad it's not locking me out of a third of the game because of that, like SM3DW.

Actually, 1/3 of the game IS locked behind collecting KONG letters :p.

If you like the old games, expect this one to feel a lot more like a proper Donkey Kong Country game than returns did. I liked returns, but it didn't scratch that DKC itch I've had nagging me over the past... 18-19 years? Tropical Freeze, however, totally freakin' did... and then some.

I agree that TF definitely feels more like a DKC game... It's kinda funny though that that is one of the reasons I think I prefer Returns... It really felt like it's own beast. I LOVE Tropical Freeze as well though and it's right up there with the first two games in the series.

Agreed. Sea Breeze Cove was a great change of pace and adds to the great variety this game has.

Cranky can accomplish everything Dixie can and more (and much faster too). If you are just concerned about unlocking all the levels, just go after the KONG letters.

Diddy's jetpack has more stability than Dixie's ponytail, which beginner players might find helpful. Some might argue that his underwater abilities are superior as well.

Well, other than saving you from a mistimed jump, I can agree with that.

kizmah

Just beat the game after 21 hours. Final boss was really not that hard or frustrating. But it did take me some time and more then a handfull deaths to learn the pattern. I am not a 100% kinda guy but I plan to go back and find all the secret exits and clear these bonus stages.

The game is a masterpiece. It's extremely challenging (and frustrating) at times but always just as rewarding. Top notch presentation, absolutely wonderful music and brilliant platforming troughout. Couple this with SM3DW and you have two greatest platformers in years, on the same doomed console. Long live the Wii U! Long live the Retro Studios!

bgnlm49.jpg

Vinc

I agree that TF definitely feels more like a DKC game... It's kinda funny though that that is one of the reasons I think I prefer Returns... It really felt like it's own beast. I LOVE Tropical Freeze as well though and it's right up there with the first two games in the series.

Funny enough I actually think it's the other way around for me. DKCR felt like it was an attempt to recreate or recapture the essence of the original DKC. The music was 75% remixes of the original game's OST, the levels largely followed the same tropes and ideas, and overall the game lacked flavor and creativity because of that in my opinion. Tropical Freeze feels more like a proper DKC to me BECAUSE it really does its own thing, it feels like it's a proper sequel in the same way that the other DKC sequels felt like completely new takes on the series on their own, that's actually why I like TF a lot more :p

Funny enough I actually think it's the other way around for me. DKCR felt like it was an attempt to recreate or recapture the essence of the original DKC. The music was 75% remixes of the original game's OST, the levels largely followed the same tropes and ideas, and overall the game lacked flavor and creativity because of that in my opinion. Tropical Freeze feels more like a proper DKC to me BECAUSE it really does its own thing, it feels like it's a proper sequel in the same way that the other DKC sequels felt like completely new takes on the series on their own, that's actually why I like TF a lot more :p

Fully agreed with this. I actually didn't get DKCR because I found the underlying level themes as uninspired as can be.

TF however has all my heart and love.

Gah, I'm not liking this game at all... no idea why really, it feels worse than the recent friggin' Giana Sisters to me. I don't like the music either. This is frustrating to me because I'm a huge fan of platformers in general. Bah.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I use the d-pad (pro controller) for regular levels and the analog stick for water levels. The d-pad isn't too bad now I'm used to using the shoulder buttons for rolling, but rolling and grabbing should be on the same button.

You'd prefer rolling/running and grabbing all on they y button?

phanphare

Banned
It's actually a chord progression that has basically been done to death in music. A friend of mine was playing the song "Artpop" by Lady Gaga and I immediately heard Seashore War. I like the piece but it's far from being one of the more original or creative pieces in the game.

to be fair every chord progression ever has been done to death in music. the only ones that aren't done to death are probably atonal messes

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
The same way it did for the original 3 games?
That would place ground pound on the same button as well. You'd lose the breast stroke underwater and a number of tricks used in tune attack. The game would have to figure out if you wanted to roll or grab in certain situations. How would you roll if you were standing on cling?

That would place ground pound on the same button as well. You'd lose the breast stroke underwater and a number of tricks used in tune attack. The game would have to figure out if you wanted to roll or grab in certain situations. How would you roll if you were standing on cling?

All the other moves that aren't roll could stay on the shoulder button. The original 3 worked out if you wanted to roll or grab - it's not complex at all!

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
All the other moves that aren't roll could stay on the shoulder button. The original 3 worked out if you wanted to roll or grab - it's not complex at all!
Cling is a new mechanic that uses the grab button that wasn't present in the original games. It breaks the control scheme.

Xav

The controls are perfect in Tropical Freeze and I wouldn't change a thing. It plays like a dream using the analogue setup on a Wii U Pro controller.

braves01

Banned

Cling is a new mechanic that uses the grab button that wasn't present in the original games. It breaks the control scheme.

Yeah, that layout wouldn't work with cling, as mentioned. That world 6 level where you cling to bouncy platforms just wouldn't work if roll/pound and grab were mapped to the same button.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The more I play this game the more I realize how much better it is than Super Mario 3D World. Fantastic--probably in my top 5 all time.

phanphare

Banned
The more I play this game the more I realize how much better it is than Super Mario 3D World. Fantastic--probably in my top 5 all time.

yep. I am still high on this game. a month later. still glowing a month later. that's not normal with me. definitely one of my favorite games of all time and if I really sat down and thought about it it'd probably creep into my personal top 5

How would this be better than the current setup, exactly?

I just find it more comfortable to have roll and run on the same button, especially after playing 3 games with that setup. Anyway, there are other problems that I have - as I mentioned, I'm switching between the d-pad and analog stick setups for regular levels and water levels respectively. It doesn't seem to make sense that the d-pad and analog stick aren't enabled simultaneously - that way I wouldn't have to go through the overly complex menu. edit: and when I say complex, I mean it takes way too many button presses to change settings and generally progress through the menus.

Berordn

I just find it more comfortable to have roll and run on the same button, especially after playing 3 games with that setup. Anyway, there are other problems that I have - as I mentioned, I'm switching between the d-pad and analog stick setups for regular levels and water levels respectively. It doesn't seem to make sense that the d-pad and analog stick aren't enabled simultaneously - that way I wouldn't have to go through the overly complex menu. edit: and when I say complex, I mean it takes way too many button presses to change settings and generally progress through the menus.

I'm going to have a totally unpopular opinion and say that I actually prefer swimming with the D-Pad. I have no real issue navigating water without analog.

I agree in regards to the menus though. A weird step back from Returns even.

Top Bottom