• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Gah, I'm not liking this game at all... no idea why really, it feels worse than the recent friggin' Giana Sisters to me. I don't like the music either. This is frustrating to me because I'm a huge fan of platformers in general. Bah.

Strange to hear someone not like both the game AND the music. The game just isn't for you I guess :(.

to be fair every chord progression ever has been done to death in music. the only ones that aren't done to death are probably atonal messes

They have all been used of course, but not all have been done to death. Some, like the I V vi IV are used so often that I want to shoot myself in the head every time I hear it. Some are able to disguise themselves with an interesting melody or rhythm or sound or instrumental juxtaposition of some sort, but Seashore War does no such thing. It's tried and true, and perhaps that's why people love it so much, but from an objective musical standpoint, there certainly isn't anything interesting or unique going on.

Fully agreed with this. I actually didn't get DKCR because I found the underlying level themes as uninspired as can be.

TF however has all my heart and love.

That's too bad because the level design itself is AT LEAST on par with TF if not better.

phanphare

Banned
They have all been used of course, but not all have been done to death. Some, like the I V vi IV are used so often that I want to shoot myself in the head every time I hear it. Some are able to disguise themselves with an interesting melody or rhythm or sound or instrumental juxtaposition of some sort, but Seashore War does no such thing. It's tried and true, and perhaps that's why people love it so much, but from an objective musical standpoint, there certainly isn't anything interesting or unique going on.

I don't know, I think it's pretty well done in this instance. that progression, in good hands, will always sound interesting for the sheer fact that it goes from a V to a vi. it's played out for sure but that doesn't really detract from it in this situation imo. I thought it fit the level well. I see your point about the interesting melody or rhythm and that's probably why the song has no staying power with me personally but it's still David Wise doing his thing. it's not like it's some college kid with an acoustic guitar playing his favorite top 40 hits

maxcriden

I realize this is a bit OT but those gosh darn hummingbirds in 3-2 Button Bash in DKCR 3D in
Mirror Mode
are really brutal for me, I've only gotten past 'em once and I've been at this for several lives now.

ETA: I beat it. I hope y'all are proud. The rest of the level wasn't too bad. Just those hummingbirds!

Blues1990

Yes and no. Dixie is most likely the best kong for most stages. But Diddy and Cranky are very important for time trials.

And Diddy is best for a certain boss...

Dixie destroys Diddy in almost every stage that has no water sections. She's easier to use and the verticality of her ability is very helpful. Diddy, however, is a lot better for water stages and makes certain boss a lot easier...

Not really, Diddy Kong is the fastest Kong underwater for example. Otherwise Top 30 (worldwide) speedrun times in 1-2 wouldn't be possible.

I personally find that I'm using Cranky & Dixie a lot more when I was plaything through the game, especially when I had gone & exploited Cranky's pogo-cane ability to do speed runs on the time trial mode. (It's a shame, as I equally love Diddy & Dixie in the original trilogy.)

Also, if this game does get a possible sequel, what do you think Retro Studios will do to improve on the foundation they had created from Retruns & Tropical Freeze? For me, the first thing that comes to mind is a bigger emphasis on the Animal Buddies, such as Enguarde or Hoofer, or even creating some original ones.

RomanceDawn

what do I do to get past the walrus right after the string of projectile penguins in bopopolis

this fucking level

If I remember correctly you need to jump high on the first penguin and short hop on the next two. The short hop will give you momentum to get on top of the walrus, if you only super jump on them you won't be able to reach walrus in time. Something like that anyway. It still haunts me.

Let me be clear short hop some of the beginning penguins and then big jump on the last one to get the hight and momentum. That's the best we I can put it without actually looking at it again.

If I remember correctly you need to jump high on the first penguin and short hop on the next two. The short hop will give you momentum to get on top of the walrus, if you only super jump on them you won't be able to reach walrus in time. Something like that anyway. It still haunts me.

Let me be clear short hop some of the beginning penguins and then big jump on the last one to get the hight and momentum. That's the best we I can put it without actually looking at it again.
I'll give it another try, I'm bringing three Dixie barrels this time. I can't do this as Donkey any more

EDIT: FUCK YES I DID IT FIRST TRY ALL PUZZLE PIECES

Fuck 2-K

That is all.

ibrvZilMJa91bD.gif

Weng

That level was absolute bullshit. I fucking pressed the jump button tons of times before DK landed on the enemy, and I still didn't get enough height.
I didn't have a problem with the bouncing in 2-K but I had problems with the jelly in 5-5. It seems you have to press jump exactly the moment you hit the jelly. It's a lot easier with Cranky's cane jump though.

BHZ Mayor

what do I do to get past the walrus right after the string of projectile penguins in bopopolis

this fucking level

I see that you beat it already, but for anyone else having trouble, if you're not comfortable switching between bounce heights, you can also roll jump past the first penguin when it shows up and high bounce the rest of the way.

Eiolon

In case there are any lurkers without this game, it will be $39.99 at Best Buy next week. Extremely rare to see a Nintendo title drop in price so fast, even if it's just $10.

Koppai

In case there are any lurkers without this game, it will be $39.99 at Best Buy next week. Extremely rare to see a Nintendo title drop in price so fast, even if it's just $10.

What's the specific date, I have a gift card I've been wanting to use for a while :)

DirtyLarry

Damn this thread reminded me I have to get back to playing Tropical Freeze. Left off at 5-3 iirc. Titanfall came out, and now Infamous, so my attention has been diverted, but I also just got the WiiU Pro Controller last Thursday and need to finally check it out!!
What a great month or so it has been for games!
And out of those 3 games Tropical Freeze is definitely #2 on the list. May even beat out Infamous for the #1 spot, but they are such vastly different games at the end of the day, so they are both tied for the #1 spot.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
6-4 - best rocket barrel level ever

Let it snow let it snow let it snow

I must've been the only person who was [6-4]
simply happy to see the bat and not just happy because he was frozen solid, forget the tikis, the giant bat was the most memorable foe of all in Returns.

I still think Gear Getaway from Returns might be my favourite rocket barrel stage but 5-2 was at least on par.

The controls are perfect in Tropical Freeze and I wouldn't change a thing. It plays like a dream using the analogue setup on a Wii U Pro controller.

Truer words have never been said. At first I went with the D-Pad option, but hit a brick wall when I made it to world 4. Switched to analog for the swimming levels and it worked great; forgot to switch back to D-Pad afterwards and didn't even realize it right away. Analog stick works best for this game (with the triggers acting as pound/roll in my case).

The controls are perfect in Tropical Freeze and I wouldn't change a thing. It plays like a dream using the analogue setup on a Wii U Pro controller.

I agree, but I use the D-Pad because it feels so much better. Overall huge improvement from Returns. I barely can stand playing through the original because of the motion control and the blowing mechanic. Tropical Freeze nails the control thankfully.

Lilo_D

Why people hate world 4?
I think the world 4 is the most beautiful world
All levels are super fun to play, 4-3 is just amazing.
The boss is not hard

Why people hate world 4?
The boss is not hard

Opinions I guess... A large amount of people just hate water based platforming in general and for them TF doesn't do anything to change that opinion. I loved it though. Beautiful audiovisuals and a great change of pace.

Why people hate world 4?
The boss is not hard

I think because it slows on intensity, but I also like world 4. It is a slower paced but love the details. And yes 4-3 is amazing!!
My favorite one so far is World 3.

Before doing 4-k I went into 1-1 and 1-2 for speedruns and spent like 4 hours yesterday. Wow is it tough but I love it!! Got gold on both and on 1-1 beated one of my Wii U friends for the #2 spot among Wii U friends.

I know that this will easily become my most played game. A masterpiece IMO!!

tsab

The game took 1 month too arrive but it's finally here!!! :D
I played a whole day and arrived at 6-2. (skipped some secret stages and puzzles pieces for later)

I am a little annoyed that it doesn't support Classic Controller (Pro).
I don't own a WiiU Pro Controller and the battery drains so quickly on the Gamepad :(

Linkhero1

Why people hate world 4?
The boss is not hard

It was my favorite world up until World 6. I think the problem with World 4 is pacing. Time to complete the level is much longer and you're not platforming as much since you're in the water most of the world. I had no issues with it but it was the point in the game where everything slowed down for me. I breezed through World 1 up until 3. When I reached 4 everything slowed down and it took me a while longer to complete. 5 and 6 felt like 1-3.

Why people hate world 4?
The boss is not hard

People hate underwater levels yet they said Returns was missing them dearly.

I'll never find underwater levels better than non-water levels probably but the controls Retro was able to achieve for these parts in Tropical Freeze are about as good as you can make it while still conveying the difference of the environment.

I love how they subtley changed the appearance of water level to water level.

Astral Dog

Why people hate world 4?
The boss is not hard

I think it became too repetitive, not many people like the wáter levels, even if they had decent controls and the boss was very difficult

K-3 is driving me nuts. These K stages are just brutal.

Ok it took me like an hour and a half but I did it. That last part was just impossible for me to wrap my head around for some reason. The rest of the stage became really simple at that point and I just had to keep doing it over...and over....

This game..

Draconian

2-K annoyed me just because of the end where all of a sudden they expect you not to jump off of the bounce like you've been doing the previous two minutes before that. Felt like the level could've been beaten by someone in one go up to that point, and Retro realized it and decided to give people the middle finger if anybody thought they were going to beat it that easily.

2-K is actually my favorite K Level. Sometimes I go through it just for the fun of it. Bouncing off enemies is probably the most enjoyable and rewarding thing for me in Tropical Freeze. <3

phanphare

Banned
love the K-levels. it's astounding how hard they seem at first but by the time you're on that winning run you have 2/3's of the level mastered to the point of auto-pilot

2-K and 4-K have given me the most trouble so far. I'm currently getting all the K-O-N-G letters for World 5

Top Bottom