• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Can't believe 6-1 is kicking my fucking ass.
Seriously, all those falling platforms are a nightmare.
I had to quit the game. I just.. I can't deal with this right now.
http://i.minus.com/iXPTBTZMZh0AG.gif[/MG][/QUOTE]
Had the same sticking point in my game. Definitely put it down for a bit and regroup.

jbaFlrkwo9UIUK.jpg

ruh-ruh

I feel like they can rename "Hard Mode" to "Lunatic Mode" because getting hit is so easy in this game.

Edit: I find holding the grab button is the best way to go around the level. You should not miss any vine holding the grab button.

TheBear

I'm absolutely loving the level design, but the boss fights are irritating. There's definitely an element of old-school challenge going on, but it's seriously frustrating when they took so damn long and you are given so little health. I just beat the World 2 boss and he was an asshole. It's what turned me off DKCR also. And it's going to get harder no doubt.

Oidisco

I'm absolutely loving the level design, but the boss fights are irritating. There's definitely an element of old-school challenge going on, but it's seriously frustrating when they took so damn long and you are given so little health. I just beat the World 2 boss and he was an asshole. It's what turned me off DKCR also. And it's going to get harder no doubt.

There are some ways of making certain bosses easier. Using Dixie's Kong Pow can be very useful during World 2's Boss for instance.

TheBear

The characters have different Kong Pow's?

I think a halfway checkpoint would make the boss fights a little bit more tolerable.

Oidisco

Nah as hard as some fights are, I'm glad there's no checkpoint.

And yea they all have different Kong Pows. Diddy gives you extra lives, Dixie gives extra yellow hearts to increase your health, and Cranky gives you coins.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just a handful of hard mode levels left. Hopefully I'll be able to finish in the next couple days. Not too many issues in world 6 so far.

tengiants

it's clearly better that when a button is held down that the superbounce happens, versus having to time it at a specific moment before contact with the enemy.

I struggled with this too (for my whole first play through) until during 2-k I discovered how the timing actually works. Start holding the A button at any time during descent. Still takes getting used to but it's pretty fun now that I am.

phanphare

Banned

Cranky > cane bounce > hearts > profit

as for Dax, she probably swallowed the Gamepad while playing off tv and now she cant switch it back
dude, waaaaaat

I loaned Tropical Freeze to a friend while I'm busy with TitanFall. When I get it back I'll make sure to try to beat 6-4 again. Trying to beat the level kinda tired me out on the game.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
dude, waaaaaat

I loaned Tropical Freeze to a friend while I'm busy with TitanFall. When I get it back I'll make sure to try to beat 6-4 again. Trying to beat the level kinda tired me out on the game.

yeah that sounded weirder than I imagined, lol, my bad

Iceblade

Does anyone know where I can buy the soundtrack for this game? It's so amazing, but I can't find it anywhere, and David Wise hasn't gotten back to my email :(

NEO0MJ

Does anyone know where I can buy the soundtrack for this game? It's so amazing, but I can't find it anywhere, and David Wise hasn't gotten back to my email :(

I think it's up to Nintendo, and that company has never released a retail release for their soundtrack, I think. Might show up one day as a club Nintendo exclusive, though.

4-K done. Didn't take me nearly as long as 2-K or 3-K which was kind of a relief to me. Dixie pretty much trivialized it (yup, I'm a cheater.)

Also, I'd like to add that the maze level was pretty annoying and my least favorite so far. Still loving the game though.

chadboban

I got a bit frustrated with the World 1 boss.

Seems like it's extremely easy but I keep failing.

What exactly is giving you trouble?

Once you get his patterns down you should be okay. Don't try to jump on him if he is rolling when he comes down the slope and if you're having trouble with those spiked fish I believe Cranky can use his cane to bounce off of them (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one)

My 3 year old is pretty decent at this game. Here's a quick video:

http://youtu.be/B7HPIpwXjjQ

He's usually a tad bit better but he's was tired when I filmed that.

He's really good at Returns.

Good stuff! My three year old daughter is still getting the hang of Donkey Kong as we just got it on Tuesday. And I unlocked Rosalina in 3D Land so it's kinda hard to get her to play anything but 3D Land at the moment.

Tabasco

What exactly is giving you trouble?

Once you get his patterns down you should be okay. Don't try to jump on him if he is rolling when he comes down the slope and if you're having trouble with those spiked fish I believe Cranky can use his cane to bounce off of them (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one)
I just kept getting hit by those fish he keeps throwing at me.

Also, when he sends his penguins down the slope before him is when he gets me too.

Maybe I wasn't trying hard enough.

Good stuff! My three year old daughter is still getting the hang of Donkey Kong as we just got it on Tuesday. And I unlocked Rosalina in 3D Land so it's kinda hard to get her to play anything but 3D Land at the moment.

My daughter (7) loves Mario 3D World, but my son (3) HATES it. It's so frustrating to him. He seems to prefer side-scrollers.

Melrochian

Neo Member
After 127 pages I finally got my copy!

Gonna enjoy some hours of it right now. Tried to stop spoiling myself, lets see if it was worth the effort

World 4 in hard mode is the worst thing to do, specially Irate Eight

It's pretty tough, but it really made me appreciate how great the swimming controls are in this game, especially with the analog stick you can maneuver through even the tightest obstacles and the kong will go exactly where you told it. Other games have too much momentum in the swimming and sometimes you die just from that whereas in this game if you die in the swimming part it's pretty much all on you.

NEO0MJ

It's pretty tough, but it really made me appreciate how great the swimming controls are in this game, especially with the analog stick you can maneuver through even the tightest obstacles and the kong will go exactly where you told it. Other games have too much momentum in the swimming and sometimes you die just from that whereas in this game if you die in the swimming part it's pretty much all on you.

I wish we could use the analogue without having to reset the controls from the option menu every time. why not give us access to both movement inputs at the same time
?

Woaah. I absolutely loved the music on 5-B Insanely catchy so of course I'm hearing it for the 100th time now haha. My goal this weekend is to beat this game!

I haven't played the game in a month, and I'm not one to really listen to soundtracks on their own, but for some reason this song popped in my head today and it won't leave. It really is fantastic.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Finished! I'd probably say I had the most difficulty on world 4 in hard mode, but even then it wasn't too bad. Makes a huge difference playing this game now, since most of my normal playthrough was when I had the flu lol. Really enjoyed it though, both times through. Have some other games I need to start playing, but might dabble in time trials from time to time since I went digital.

FTF

So I played this with a friend for an hour to two the other day and holy balls is it hard. I don't know what it is, but we found this much harder than DKCR on the Wii, and I'm thinking it may be the controls. Do they seem different or slightly off from the Wii game to anyone else?

We were mostly using the pro controller, but kept going back and forth between the analog and d-pad (mainly used d-pad though) and between the roll/pound on the face buttons and shoulder/back buttons. I just couldn't get comfortable with the controls, even after an hour or so. We died way too much and were only on the second island.

At one point I switched to using the Wiimote (since that's what I was used to with DKCR) and that seemed to help, but I was still doing way worse than in Returns. So am I just crazy and it's just harder, or are the controls a little different than Returns? (or am I crazy for both reasons and it's not harder or controlling any different lol).

Great game though, just felt the action and flow was broken up too many times from dying :/

sonto340

So I played this with a friend for an hour to two the other day and holy balls is it hard. I don't know what it is, but we found this much harder than DKCR on the Wii, and I'm thinking it may be the controls. Do they seem different or slightly off from the Wii game to anyone else?

We were mostly using the pro controller, but kept going back and forth between the analogue and d-pad (mainly used d-pad though) and between the roll/pound on the face buttons and shoulder/back buttons. I just couldn't get comfortable with the controls, even after an hour or so. We died way too much and were only on the second island.

At one point I switched to using the Wiimote (since that's what I was used to with DKCR) and that seemed to help, but I was still doing way worse than in Returns. So am I just crazy and it's just harder, or are the controls a little different than Returns? (or am I crazy for both reasons and it's not harder or controlling any different lol).

Great game though, just felt the action and flow was broken up too many times from dying :/

Use the Analog stick.
I used the dpad for a few levels and nothing felt right at all. having to manage run as the same button as grab was ridiculous. Controlling with the left stick removes having to hold down a button to run. The controls will click I promise :p

BHZ Mayor

It's a mechanic to add something to the gameplay. You're free not to like it, but it's not useless.

I wouldn't say it's to add to the gameplay when it's probably more that it's the best way to still have variable bounce heights while having the partner abilities and being able to support a two-button controller. I still don't really like it, but after trying to do the
wall jump section in Champion's Road
as Peach in Super Mario 3D World, I understand completely why Retro made it that way.

FTF

Use the Analog stick.
I used the dpad for a few levels and nothing felt right at all. having to manage run as the same button as grab was ridiculous. Controlling with the left stick removes having to hold down a button to run. The controls will click I promise :p

Maybe you're right, I'll try the analog mainly next time...but fired up Returns on Wii just now to see and the controls definitely seem tighter and better to me. Maybe his tv had some lag or something I don't know.

Hit 100% earlier today. I had a lot of fun with Tropical Freeze. A lot more so than Returns. A lot of it was the controls. Shake to roll made it a nightmare to super jump accurately. Also Return's last boss seemed to have a much larger difficulty ramp than Tropical Freezes.

I enjoyed the harder levels for what they were too.

Sanic

I just finished up Returns, and this is now $40 at Best Buy so i'm thinking of jumping right in.

Better/Worse than Returns? I know I can expect more of the same for the most part, but if the game isn't necessarily a "must play" I might move on to something else and then come back to this.

phanphare

Banned
man, getting that G in Panicky Paddles...I knew exactly what I had to do but by the time you get to the last checkpoint there aren't any Kong Barrels so I had to restart every time I lost Dixie

it wasn't really that bad, just slightly annoying

but I unlocked 5-K and will try to beat that sometime today

Sendou

I just finished up Returns, and this is now $40 at Best Buy so i'm thinking of jumping right in.

Better/Worse than Returns? I know I can expect more of the same for the most part, but if the game isn't necessarily a "must play" I might move on to something else and then come back to this.

I think it's definitely a must play and better than Returns in every possible aspect you could think.

Most people think it's better, but I'm not so sure. The audiovisuals are certainly better but level design isn't quite to the standard of DKCR in my opinion, though it is VERY close. I'd say come back to it later so you can fully enjoy it rather than get burned out from too much of the same.

man, getting that G in Panicky Paddles...I knew exactly what I had to do but by the time you get to the last checkpoint there aren't any Kong Barrels so I had to restart every time I lost Dixie

it wasn't really that bad, just slightly annoying

but I unlocked 5-K and will try to beat that sometime today

You can get the G with DK alone with a well executed rolljump.

braves01

Banned
I think it's definitely a must play and better than Returns in every possible aspect you could think.

I don't know if that's entirely true. The graphics and music, especially, are much improved, but otherwise I'd say DKCR and TF are neck and neck.

Vinc

Infinitely better than Returns in every way.

Top Bottom