• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up the game for the first time in a couple weeks on Saturday and spent about 40 minutes trying to beat 2-K. It was infuriating. I was pretty god damn happy to finally finish it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
post-game content spoiler, minor though

7-1 ... the last section

ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

People hate underwater levels yet they said Returns was missing them dearly.

I'll never find underwater levels better than non-water levels probably but the controls Retro was able to achieve for these parts in Tropical Freeze are about as good as you can make it while still conveying the difference of the environment.

I love how they subtley changed the appearance of water level to water level.

I much preferred water levels in the original trilogy. The controls were tighter (tap A to ascend, and hold up/down to increase/decrease the height you gain), and there was no oxygen meter. I don't know why Retro decided to add an oxygen meter; underwater levels are supposed to be relaxing (except for when there's a setpiece, like Irate Eight).

I thoroughly enjoyed water levels in the original trilogy, but they were my least favourite levels in Tropical Freeze (though I don't hate them).

Yonafunu

2-K is pretty easy, all things considered. I made it to the walrus after the flying penguins on my first try. It's not even World 2's hardest stage, Skowl gave me more a lot more trouble.
3-K is much more annoying.

the level wasn't very hard, and the music wasn't particularly memorable. why push the nostalgia button for nothing?
Why do you continue to hurt me Hawk?

If they really wanted to repackage Bramble Scramble then it should've been a rocket barrel stage with a similar plant growth gimmick to this game's same named equivalent.

I much preferred water levels in the original trilogy. The controls were tighter (tap A to ascend, and hold up/down to increase/decrease the height you gain), and there was no oxygen meter. I don't know why Retro decided to add an oxygen meter; underwater levels are supposed to be relaxing (except for when there's a setpiece, like Irate Eight).

I thoroughly enjoyed water levels in the original trilogy, but they were my least favourite levels in Tropical Freeze (though I don't hate them).
Well each to their own but I'm not sure relaxing is how i'd describe most water levels in the original trilogy.
Maybe Coral Capers and Clam City are tame enough to chill with the aquatic ambiance theme but Croctopus Chase and Poison Pond don't quite have the same effect.

Following this DKC2's water stages come with one of the most forceful sounding themes in the series located in a flooded ship hull, exploding puffer fish and lockjaws lurking in the grimy depths barely visible without angler fish aid and a stage where the water can only be temporarily cooled and rushed through before boiling back up to lava levels (and boy do I wish Retro repackaged this one in some way, I guess the oxygen meter is a close enough comparison).
DKC3 has a stage where i'm constantly stalked by a fussy fish that will kill me because it lacks the common sense to not eat the barnacle fellas, plus the moody water world theme.
So yeah, relaxing isn't quite what I'd call them myself, most of them are pretty tense or at least require careful and methodical movement if you ask me and no amount of "in a snowbound land" will change the vibe of Arctic Abyss because screw those starfish.

2-K is pretty easy, all things considered. I made it to the walrus after the flying penguins on my first try. It's not even World 2's hardest stage, Skowl gave me more a lot more trouble.
3-K is much more annoying.
Funny how that works, I found 2-K pretty easy as well but 3-K gave me much more trouble if only for the final obstacle.
For others 3-K was the easiest if I recall.

NEO0MJ

the level wasn't very hard, and the music wasn't particularly memorable. why push the nostalgia button for nothing?

It's really strange that even though they have a remix of bramble blast they didn't use it for the one bramble themed level in the game.

It's really strange that even though they have a remix of bramble blast they didn't use it for the one bramble themed level in the game.

Not really. Bramble is the only thing those levels have in common. The gameplay and mood of Retro's level is much different than in DKC2... That song wouldn't have fit well imo.

AniHawk

yeah so i beat the game last night (as far as i care to, at least, with every level done).

it's easily a better game than dkcr. the level design is generally more interesting, they do some better stuff with the world map in how levels are hidden away, and the soundtrack is great. adding dixie and cranky and giving the player the option to use either them or diddy (or no one at all) kinda personalized playthroughs.

regarding the specific parts that i disliked- the jumping is still bad. i shouldn't have to guess if i'm going to super jump off an enemy. grabbing a vine still makes zero sense and is similarly bad design. the minigames to get puzzle pieces ensured i never did considering they were so repetitious (less is more, retro). levels are still mostly horizontal, despite introducing the one character that changed the level design in dkc2. really, having dixie kong and then making the levels progress similar to dkc and dkcr was like this game was directed by captain missing-the-point. i think that aspect couldn't be more clearly articulated than by having bramble scramble be a left-to-right shuffle to the finish (without even stickerbrush symphony in the background).

overall it's okay? i struggle to think of anything aside from the soundtrack that stands out. it's way more consistent than dkcr, but dkcr had some levels, although borrowed from the mario games, that stood out as being particularly memorable. there weren't a whole lot of unique, interesting ideas on display in dkc tf. and that's okay, but it never makes up for it with anything else. it's just an okay platformer. it feels like something made in a classroom specifically to please the teacher. there's no passion behind anything aside from the music. like with nsmb2, which was actually made to please the teacher, i felt like there was a desire to show that these newbies could make a really good mario game. and they did.

Draconian

How does grabbing a vine make zero sense and equate to bad design? If you're going to say things like that, you can at least explain why.

regarding the specific parts that i disliked- the jumping is still bad. i shouldn't have to guess if i'm going to super jump off an enemy.

The rest of your review is fine because you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but seriously, own up to your own failings on this one. The vast majority of people have no problems with this.

Linkhero1

I don't think there was any problem with jumping off enemies or vines. From what I can remember, everything seemed straightforward in terms of progressing through a level. I can see timing being an issue but I've never had any problems with jumping as far as it's concerned.

I agree about the level design. Aside from a few water levels, I didn't like the fact that most levels were moving in one direction. You can take out both Dixie and Cranky and it wouldn't change the game a bit.

AniHawk

How does grabbing a vine make zero sense and equate to bad design? If you're going to say things like that, you can at least explain why.

it does something different from the vast majority of platformers for absolutely no reason. the game knows it's doing something different from the vast majority of platformers for absolutely no reason because it has to explain it to the player through graphic indications.

there's nothing gained for having the player go through this extra step. it's a holdover from the garbage controls from dkcr (shake to roll, shake + down to blow, the awful timing in the superjumps).

The rest of your review is fine because you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but seriously, own up to your own failings on this one. The vast majority of people have no problems with this.

it's a lot better in dkctf, but there were times where i'd be doing the same exact thing from one attempt to the next and it would only register half the time. are you supposed to hold down the button just before landing on a bad guy and keep holding it to propel yourself further? are you supposed to have been holding it down ever since you made it airborne in the first place? the world may never really know.

why not cut out the bullshit and just make it like every other platformer out there? there's no rhyme or reason to having this mechanic be so obtuse. i've never seen a reasonable explanation for it (not within the game, which would have been something, but more from the creators).

I like having to tap jump for high bounces. It adds an extra level of engagement and satisfaction to those sections while still being intuitive (at least for me) and relatively uncomplicated. Holding a button to grab vines is different from most platformers but there are a few moments like in Beehive Brawl where the player may want to roll while standing on a clingable surface. The grab button enables these situations. And at the end of the day, TF is only a three button platformer. Hardly overkill.

Also, heck no to more vertical sections. Can't see the orgasmic roll jump being anything other than deemphasized in those.

it does something different from the vast majority of platformers for absolutely no reason. the game knows it's doing something different from the vast majority of platformers for absolutely no reason because it has to explain it to the player through graphic indications.

Except that there are times where you may not want to grab a vine, or other cling-able surfaces...

This is really the oddest complaint; particularly from one who played the original and should be used to it.

There's no guessing involved with the superbounce.

This. Sounds like user error.

Andrew.

Banned
Yo did Dax ever finish that final rocket barrel level?

If she didn't, put me in her camp because I dont know if I'm going to be able to muster up the perseverance to beat the final boss.

I've had a real issue with that and 2D platformers over the past generation. The last 2D platformer I totally completed was NSMB. I burn myself out because I do a full collectathon for my first run. TF has taken me so long, and now to reach this...I mean, I totally expected to get my ass handed to me, but at this point I just can't do it.

Hopefully down the line. The game really is one of the best 2D platformers, let alone game experiences I've ever played.

maxcriden

If she didn't, put me in her camp because I dont know if I'm going to be able to muster up the perseverance to beat the final boss.

I've had a real issue with that and 2D platformers over the past generation. The last 2D platformer I totally completed was NSMB. I burn myself out because I do a full collectathon for my first run. TF has taken me so long, and now to reach this...I mean, I totally expected to get my ass handed to me, but at this point I just can't do it.

Hopefully down the line. The game really is one of the best 2D platformers, let alone game experiences I've ever played.

Andrew, you can totally beat him. Which partner are you using?

braves01

Banned

What's tripping you up on the final boss? Any particular part of it?

jim2011

If you've been waiting for a price drop like me, Best Buy will have it on sale next week for 39.99 (minus $8 if you have gamers club unlocked as well!)

5F4NcoV.jpg

Andrew.

Banned
Im going with Dixie. She's been my #1 throughout the whole thing. Using a heart and two juices.

Granted, I've died less four times, but I'm real, real hard on myself with stuff like this so it's definitely all me.

It's one of those situations where I'm like "Dude, you beat W101. You can beat this." (Even though Im well aware they're two totally different games, though both require precision and timing)

But it just hasn't rolled that way. Yet, anyways =/

EhoaVash

after like a hour ..i finally beat K-2 ..that moment when I beat it my gawd q.q using dixie really helps pass the fucking piece of shit walrus at the end.
this level seriously had me questioning input lag of the gamepad =_=

K-3 is like the complete opposite of k-2

AniHawk

There's no guessing involved with the superbounce.

it's clearly better that when a button is held down that the superbounce happens, versus having to time it at a specific moment before contact with the enemy. with one, controls are secondary. with the other, i have to worry about the controls before i worry about the level.

Except that there are times where you may not want to grab a vine, or other cling-able surfaces...

This is really the oddest complaint; particularly from one who played the original and should be used to it.

original as in dkc or original as in dkcr? dkcr also added shake to roll, shake+down to blow, and one was sidelined as merely an option while the other was removed completely. just because something was in the previous game doesn't mean i should be happy with it, or that it works.

in instances when i don't want to grab a vine or other clingable surfaces, i tend not to jump towards them. i am having a difficult time remembering anything of the sort from dkctf's basic level design.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Im going with Dixie. She's been my #1 throughout the whole thing. Using a heart and two juices.

Granted, I've died less four times, but I'm real, real hard on myself with stuff like this so it's definitely all me.

It's one of those situations where I'm like "Dude, you beat W101. You can beat this." (Even though Im well aware they're two totally different games, though both require precision and timing)

yeah final boss is a real ballbuster, I rage quitted a couple of times because that goddamned hitbox during his charge is so small, plus his jumps appear to be random, and that screwed me over a couple more times. But you can do it, man, and try using Diddy, as maxcriden told me, and that really worked during the floating phase

as for Dax, she probably swallowed the Gamepad while playing off tv and now she cant switch it back

AniHawk

Are you enjoying the game though, Ani?

it's one of the two retro games i think i can say i enjoyed (the other being corruption, which i actually really like). it's a consistently all right thing. i just noticed two of the biggest things that stuck out to me last time had returned and i'm still not happy about them.

Your avatar always makes me think you're pissed all the time and hate the world.

ah, then it's working.

original as in dkc or original as in dkcr? dkcr also added shake to roll, shake+down to blow, and one was sidelined as merely an option while the other was removed completely. just because something was in the previous game doesn't mean i should be happy with it, or that it works.

As in DKCR. Shake to roll wasn't removed; the game plays identically to DKCR if you use the Wii Remote and Nun-chuck. Changing game mechanics isn't the same as changing controls, and they didn't change the controls--merely added more options to it.

in instances when i don't want to grab a vine or other clingable surfaces, i tend not to jump towards them. i am having a difficult time remembering anything of the sort from dkctf's basic level design.

There are plenty of times when one may not want to grab a vine, such as in the zip-line level in World 2.

it's clearly better that when a button is held down that the superbounce happens, versus having to time it at a specific moment before contact with the enemy. with one, controls are secondary. with the other, i have to worry about the controls before i worry about the level.

It's a pretty wide window. I'd say almost a second and a half. It's certainly not a concern and definitely not random.

AniHawk

As in DKCR. Shake to roll wasn't removed; the game plays identically to DKCR if you use the Wii Remote and Nun-chuck. Changing game mechanics isn't the same as changing controls, and they didn't change the controls--merely added more options to it.

blowing is still a thing that was removed from one game to the next. functionally it does the same thing as slapping the ground, but it was deemed useless and taken out. why not other pointless elements?

There are plenty of times when one may not want to grab a vine, such as in the zip-line level in World 2.

actually that's a level that highlights how much more frustrating it is to keep in mind what buttons to press. it would have been so much simpler to just push down on the controller to have dk drop to lower vines.

It's a pretty wide window. I'd say almost a second and a half. It's certainly not a concern and definitely not random.

the window doesn't make sense. it's a useless thing to have in the game.

jnWake

Superbounces are only tricky if you're using Diddy and/or Dixie, since their mid-air abilites cancel your momentum so you have to time it right to nail a super jump and not lose any speed. It isn't a very strict timing window though so I can't agree with that complaint tbh.

Regarding the buttons, most people aren't aware that there are some speed tricks that are possible because of grab and roll being in different buttons. For example, if you roll and then grab and jump next to a barrel you can grab the barrel without losing any momentum. In a similar fashion, if you land next to a barrel after a jump and quickly press grab and then roll you'll break the barrel immediately and start rolling with your buddy. Both tricks would be impossible if the buttons were different.

For other uses of the buttons being different you can watch speed runs of Forest Folly, there's a lot of rolling in clingable surfaces there. In any case, you only need two fingers to push the three buttons so itsn't something hard to get used to.

why not other pointless elements?

Because it isn't pointless.

actually that's a level that highlights how much more frustrating it is to keep in mind what buttons to press. it would have been so much simpler to just push down on the controller to have dk drop to lower vines.

the window doesn't make sense. it's a useless thing to have in the game.

That's fine you feel that way, but you are quite literally the only person I've seen complain about this. It's not a wide-spread issue at all, in either of the new DKC games

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Hadn't played for a bit since I was out of town last week, but finished up world 5 on hard mode. Hardest parts for me were the damn G in 5-4 and the boss because of my own stupidity.
Kept getting caught in between the ice pillars closest to the boss and in the middle. Just had to tell myself to move the fuck over -_-
I guess it would've been easier with Dixie or Cranky but I'm dedicated to finishing it with just DK. Not much left to go now, but I'm kind of glad I've been stretching it out, even though I have other stuff I need to play, since I'm having a lot of fun still.

The trick I used was to have Kung Pow full with Dixie and activate it with the first three penguins. Bam, 3 extra hearts on top of your other items.

Granted, using it once resets it for awhile but it could help.

Roo

Can't believe 6-1 is kicking my fucking ass.
Seriously, all those falling platforms are a nightmare.
I had to quit the game. I just.. I can't deal with this right now.
iXPTBTZMZh0AG.gif

Top Bottom