• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

braves01

Banned
I just got this game today, and I'm noticing something. Can you no longer tag between Kongs like you could in the original DKC trilogy?

I didn't play Returns, so sorry if I'm not up to speed.

No tagging. DK is the default Kong, if you pick up the other Kongs, you get their abilities until you're hit twice, at which point you lose them and only have DK again.

maxcriden

I just got this game today, and I'm noticing something. Can you no longer tag between Kongs like you could in the original DKC trilogy?

I didn't play Returns, so sorry if I'm not up to speed.

you can't, sorry. you do get to essentially play as both characters together, though. (this was the setup in returns as well.)

post-game spoilers herein:

after you unlock hard mode you can play as any kong in SP.

No tagging. DK is the default Kong, if you pick up the other Kongs, you get their abilities until you're hit twice, at which point you lose them and only have DK again.

you can't, sorry. you do get to essentially play as both characters together, though. (this was the setup in returns as well.)

post-game spoilers herein:

after you unlock hard mode you can play as any kong in SP.

Oh okay! Thanks for the answers. I miss the ability, but I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

koene

Played through world 5 today and the jell-o level is incredible. Tied with world 2's Alpine Incline as my favorite level. Tried the world boss a few times, but I'll leave that for tomorrow.

Better than Alpine Incline? We'll need another gamenight then!

That first puzzle piece in Shoal Atoll is such bullshit

Keep having to exit the level so I can get another shot at the bridge

Are you using Dixie? Roll jump onto it and quickly roll jump again and use her ponytail twirl.

Better than Alpine Incline? We'll need another gamenight then!

My problem with Alpine Incline is it's too short. I am surprised to hear so many bring up Jelly Jamboree though. It's a good level, but far from being the best one in Juicy Jungle.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
World 5 is probably my second least favorite world, but it definitely has the best boss battle. That battle might be the highlight of the whole game for me.

Playing through the game again and I have to say Lost Mangroves may be the best opening world in a platformer ever.

It's one of my favorites as well. The first level's design and music track opens up the adventure spectacularly. The crashed planes and ruined machinery make for good platforming and a nice visual design too, and it all ends on a cool boss fight with a rockin' theme.

Tropical Freeze wasted no game leaving a positive impression on me.

Playing through the game again and I have to say Lost Mangroves may be the best opening world in a platformer ever.
I'd put my vote to the generically named World 1 from Super Mario Galaxy 2 myself but Lost Mangroves is no slouch.
Then again neither was Return's Jungle and that had Platform Panic.

That first puzzle piece in Shoal Atoll is such bullshit

Keep having to exit the level so I can get another shot at the bridge
Worst puzzle piece in the game just for the restarting issue, it took me a while to note that the bridge collapses at a certain point and not as soon as you step anywhere on it....I think.

My problem with Alpine Incline is it's too short. I am surprised to hear so many bring up Jelly Jamboree though. It's a good level, but far from being the best one in Juicy Jungle.
Jelly Jamboree is like one of those reprieve stages to me and I figure that's why some like it a lot, after the first four stages some people could use an easier stage to cool back down.
Or maybe people just like bouncing a lot if we're including Alpine Incline.

Any word of an OST release yet?
Not even a Japanese exclusive Club Nintendo CD or any whispers of anything at all.

Speaking of things related to this game that I sorely need there's no Iwata Asks either.

I'd put my vote to the generically named World 1 from Super Mario Galaxy 2 myself but Lost Mangroves is no slouch.
Then again neither was Return's Jungle and that had Platform Panic.

I should have specified 2D platformer. 3D platformers are a completely different beast. My 3D choice might go to Galaxy. The first time playing though Good Egg was sublime and one of my best moments of last gen.

Jelly Jamboree is like one of those reprieve stages to me and I figure that's why some like it a lot, after the first four stages some people could use an easier stage to cool back down.
Or maybe people just like bouncing a lot if we're including Alpine Incline.

Yeah, I can see that. It is well designed and a lot of fun to bounce around. The animation and sound for the jelly jiggling are awesome. Return's equivilant level, Springy Spores, was really cool too.

Speaking of things related to this game that I sorely need there's no Iwata Asks either.

This hurts my soul. We hear so little from Retro :(. There wasn't one for the recently released Yoshi's New Island either. I suspect Iwata has more pressing matters to attend to at the moment.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Purchased this morning. It's a really nice looking great. The artwork is terrific and the gameplay top notch.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
6-K was almost disappointingly easy compared to the others. I think it took me 5 tries.

Final boss was also a lot easier than I expected after people kept talking about how hard it was. Hardest thing about that fight was getting the hitbox down, because I had a tendency to either jump over him or jump too late and get hit.

I'm not planning on diving into hard mode, but I'll tackle those last few challenges.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, the last worlds of this game are just draining for me to play. I'm not good enough to sit back and enjoy. I can't hit any good momentum without dying and there's just so much trial and error. Really starting to hate playing it. :-( I'm just not good enough to have fun with this.

I just recently replayed from start to finish Megaman 1-8 and Megaman x while now working on x2. Those games offer a challenge I enjoyed. This game? I really hate it right now. :mad:

It's so damn well crafted and seems like so much fun but I'm sick of dying. Losing a buddy character kills the fun too and makes it even more annoying. The sound DK makes when dying has me wanting to throw the gamepad too.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hit 100%. Those last few levels weren't really that challenging in segments, the only thing that really makes them hard is that they are unforgiving. Little or no hearts, no checkpoints, and lots of places to fall to your death. With checkpoints I think all three of them would have been easier than some of the levels on the fifth and sixth islands.

Finishing up my third playthrough. Definitely the frontrunner for GOTY so far. I FINALLY warmed up to Aqueduct Assault's music. It did nothing for me the first two times through, but it just hit me all of the sudden.

Finished my third playthrough, and it really solidified my opinion that Juicy Jungle is the most sublime 2D platforming world I have had the pleasure of playing. As great as this game is, I hope they move onto a different franchise (I would be down for a 3D DK though).

Roo

I finally finished this game.
Really liked it. One of the best platformers in years.
Game got way too frustrating/unforgiving for me at times. I'm still missing some letters and puzzle pieces in every island so I'm not sure if I'll ever bother to get them but amazing game overall.
A solid 9 from me.

maxcriden

I finally finished this game.
Really liked it. One of the best platformers in years.
Game got way too frustrating/unforgiving for me at times. I'm still missing some letters and puzzle pieces in every island so I'm not sure if I'll ever bother to get them but amazing game overall.
A solid 9 from me.

Just think though, getting those puzzle pieces means you get to play even HARDER levels!

Shauni

I got this finally, on world 2. Don't have as much time as I want to play it unfortunately, but still quite good. Is the third symbol for the levels with DK in it for time attack? The one besides the puzzle piece and Kong letters?

maxcriden

I got this finally, on world 2. Don't have as much time as I want to play it unfortunately, but still quite good. Is the third symbol for the levels with DK in it for time attack? The one besides the puzzle piece and Kong letters?

Yes, I believe so. Enjoy the game, it just gets better and better IMO!

MegalonJJ

Banned
I have a question for those who have finished the game:
Do you unlock anything for fully beating hard mode? Any more levels in secret seclusion etc?

Oidisco

Finally managed to get into the top 8 Rankings in a level (Windmill Hills). I could've done better, but I some stupid mistakes.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just think though, getting those puzzle pieces means you get to play even HARDER levels!

Puzzle pieces don't unlock levels do they? You get the 3 "extra" levels and hard mode just by collecting the Kong letters and beating the temples. IIRC puzzle pieces only unlock art.

LocalE

This game is awesome.
Last week I got it to 200% done, now I've started on time trials. Doing one island at a time, getting gold medals on every level, up to Amiss Abyss in Sea Breeze Cove so far. I have been waiting until I score at least a Bronze on a level before I look at replays to get ideas on how to speed up. Most levels I've been able to get a Gold before viewing fast runs. Really fun stuff.

Anyways, I've just been having a great time with this game, much more into it than I expected to be, actually. It's been fun in multiplayer, and more fun for me in just getting better and better and filling in those spaces on the results screens.
And aside from a couple of times in multiplayer, or taking over for a friend to demonstrate how I do a section a few times, I've been using the Wiimote+Nunchuck, and it works just great. I kind of expected to favor the GamePad, really, but it's not even close for me, give me a Wiimote and 'chuck every time.

Kandinsky

I really dislike the boss battles, they are too damn long, now I get the complains about not having checkpoints from reviews lol. They suck!

Deku Tree

I really dislike the boss battles, they are too damn long, now I get the complains about not having checkpoints from reviews lol. They suck!

Yes the boss battles are sometimes too long, and frustrating. And the game is sometimes too hard. Especially later on. The game is hard. DKC games have always been hard. It is part of the DKC ethos. But Retro should have toned it down a little bit in 2014. A lot of modern gamers don't like games that are too hard anymore.

gotoadgo

Yes the boss battles are sometimes too long, and frustrating. And the game is sometimes too hard. Especially later on. The game is hard. DKC games have always been hard. It is part of the DKC ethos. But Retro should have toned it down a little bit in 2014. A lot of modern gamers don't like games that are too hard anymore.
They have PLENTY of other games they can play, leave the few hard games we get these days alone.

Oidisco

Honestly, besides the final boss and a couple of the K levels, the game is pretty easy. Even Hard Mode isn't really that hard. I would've loved a few extra super hard stages.
Maybe we'll get it if Monster ports it to 3DS :)

Oh, the bosses are a perfect length, and the lack of checkpoints is a good thing.

They did tone it down. DKCR was more difficult.

They have PLENTY of other games they can play, leave the few hard games we get these days alone.

Also, this.

Honestly, besides the final boss and a couple of the K levels, the game is pretty easy. Even Hard Mode isn't really that hard. I would've loved a few extra super hard stages.
Maybe we'll get it if Monster ports it to 3DS :)

Oh, the bosses are a perfect length, and the lack of checkpoints is a good thing.

Retro said a port to the 3DS is pretty much out of the question. I'm hoping Monster is using their experience porting DKCR and the short time they got to work with Retro on TF to make an original DKC for the 3DS.

Oidisco

Retro said a port to the 3DS is pretty much out of the question. I'm hoping Monster is using their experience porting DKCR and the short time they got to work with Retro on TF to make an original DKC for the 3DS.

I was kinda joking. I know they wont port it. Maybe we'll get a port on Nintendo's next handheld though.

I've been unable to use my Wii U for several weeks now.

Going to dive back into this as soon as I get the chance. Got to the end of world 3, but didn't even get to try any of the K levels. Those were my favourites in Returns, so hoping for greatness once again.

LocalE

Uhhh...nah.
'ts okay.

They could have toned it down. From what it is. Obviously.
I firmly disagree that they should have toned it down.

Indeed, I also would have enjoyed a few extra hard stages, when all is said and done.

And I've actually been enjoying replaying the Bosses in Time Trials. Figuring out the fastest way to take them out has been a blast.

I have to agree with gotoadgo, let those gamers who don't like a challenge play all those other toned down games that are already available; while those of us who enjoy challenging games can enjoy the relatively few that are even made anymore.

pupcoffee

How much harder is this game compared to DK Returns? Because I found that game to be really tough towards the end, any harder and I don't think I could beat it

I played Returns for the first time only a couple months back, and Tropical Freeze is honestly not very close in difficulty at all. It feels "medium-hard" rather than "hard."

Where DKR had 3 hard worlds at the end (for me) Tropical Freeze has one - with a few nicely challenging but perfectly manageable worlds leading up to it.

I'm not complaining, though. The game is still no slouch.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Boss battles didn't really feel too long for me honestly. There are tricks to speed them up so it isn't really that bad.

Top Bottom