• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Vinc

I don't know if that's entirely true. The graphics and music, especially, are much improved, but otherwise I'd say DKCR and TF are neck and neck.

More varied and longer levels, better difficulty balance (imo), better level design (imo), refined mechanics (no waggle or blowing), more Kongs (which adds variety and replayability), secret exits, underwater levels, better secrets, more interesting enemies... etc

I honestly think it's a much better game.

Use the Analog stick.
I used the dpad for a few levels and nothing felt right at all. having to manage run as the same button as grab was ridiculous. Controlling with the left stick removes having to hold down a button to run. The controls will click I promise :p
You have to hold down a button? why would anyone ever use that control scheme?

I don't know if that's entirely true. The graphics and music, especially, are much improved, but otherwise I'd say DKCR and TF are neck and neck.

I keep saying this. I think people really are forgetting how great DKCR is. I know the motion controls were off putting for many, but the level design and mechanics are easily on par with TF.

Lijik

jbaFlrkwo9UIUK.jpg

ruh-ruh

Im just now noticing DK Island in the background there, rad detail!!

More varied and longer levels, better difficulty balance (imo), better level design (imo), refined mechanics (no waggle or blowing), more Kongs (which adds variety and replayability), secret exits, underwater levels, better secrets, more interesting enemies... etc

I honestly think it's a much better game.

The level length is actually very similar overall. TF definitely has some longer ones, like the swimming levels, but it also has a lot of levels that were shorter than the average level in Returns. So in terms of overall content DKCR slightly exceeds TF I think. Level design and difficulty, as you acknowledged, is debatable, but I give the nod to Returns in these regards as well. I thought the higher difficulty allowed them to be even crazier with the level designs. Secret exits were a negative for me. They weren't difficult to find and it added nothing to my enjoyment, forcing you to replay a level. Secrets were hidden in the exact same manner as DKCR, so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make there. I never thought I would miss the blowing, but it's replacement, the pulling mechanic, was severely underutilized and as a consequence, the game felt less interactive Returns. There were way less mine cart levels than Returns, less Rambi levels, and less rocketbarrel levels, all negatives for me.

The rest I can agree with you. I absolutely loved the water levels, the Different Kongs, and the overall variety. The enemies and bosses were MUCH stronger, and I don't even need to mention the audiovisuals. The game was amazing, and an early contender for my GOTY, but I'd rank it just every so slightly below Returns.

You have to hold down a button? why would anyone ever use that control scheme?

I'm probably weird, but I've been using the control pad method. I'm so used to having to hold down a button to run from earlier gaming that I end up holding it even if there is no run button in the game. Guess my brain is just programmed now to hold down a button whenever I'm playing a platformer from years of Mario and other similar games.

man, getting that G in Panicky Paddles...I knew exactly what I had to do but by the time you get to the last checkpoint there aren't any Kong Barrels so I had to restart every time I lost Dixie

it wasn't really that bad, just slightly annoying

but I unlocked 5-K and will try to beat that sometime today

You already got it, but you can get that one somewhat easily with just straight DK. Just roll as far as you can and jump and you'll get the G and land safely in the water pool after the pit.

braves01

Banned
The level length is actually very similar overall. TF definitely has some longer ones, like the swimming levels, but it also has a lot of levels that were shorter than the average level in Returns. So in terms of overall content DKCR slightly exceeds TF I think. Level design and difficulty, as you acknowledged, is debatable, but I give the nod to Returns in these regards as well. I thought the higher difficulty allowed them to be even crazier with the level designs. Secret exits were a negative for me. They weren't difficult to find and it added nothing to my enjoyment, forcing you to replay a level. Secrets were hidden in the exact same manner as DKCR, so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make there. I never thought I would miss the blowing, but it's replacement, the pulling mechanic, was severely underutilized and as a consequence, the game felt less interactive Returns. There were way less mine cart levels than Returns, less Rambi levels, and less rocketbarrel levels, all negatives for me.

The rest I can agree with you. I absolutely loved the water levels, the Different Kongs, and the overall variety. The enemies and bosses were MUCH stronger, and I don't even need to mention the audiovisuals. The game was amazing, and an early contender for my GOTY, but I'd rank it just every so slightly below Returns.

I agree with pretty much everything in your post.

The secret exits didn't feel any different than the hidden puzzle piece barrels, and locked away levels without good reason, imo. I think they could have been implemented better if they weren't secret at all, but were part of branching levels instead. If you take the easier path you get the normal exit with all the K pieces and so on, and if you take the more challenging path you run a gauntlet to get the other exit. Just an idea.

The pulling mechanic is pretty much a non-factor in the game, for better or worse depending on how one feels. I agree it makes the world feel less interactive. Blowing was even effective against some enemies, whereas pulling is not afaik.

However, I wouldn't mind less mine cart, rocket barrel, or Rambi levels per se, except that there aren't any other "on rails" levels or otherwise to pick up the slack so we're just left with less overall.

jnWake

Pulling also involves grabbing as a new mechanic I believe. Maybe I'm misremembering but you couldn't grab anything but barrels in DKCR could you?

There are a few levels (3 I think) built around the grabbing stuff mechanic and also a couple that use the pulling mechanic in interesting ways. Blowing was only used like two or three times to actually progress through levels in DKCR.

Regarding level design, I think both games are very close, but DKCR has better minecart levels and worse rocket barrel levels imo.

Pulling also involves grabbing as a new mechanic I believe. Maybe I'm misremembering but you couldn't grab anything but barrels in DKCR could you?

There are a few levels (3 I think) built around the grabbing stuff mechanic and also a couple that use the pulling mechanic in interesting ways. Blowing was only used like two or three times to actually progress through levels in DKCR.

Regarding level design, I think both games are very close, but DKCR has better minecart levels and worse rocket barrel levels imo.

Yes, but in terms of making the world more interactive, there was a lot more. For example, in the Forest world, you could blow on pinwheels to make plants bloom which would net you goodies, or you could blow out lights in caves to reveal secrets. There were tons of instances like these that made the world feel more lively and charming. If you wanted to skip all that, you could. People make a big deal about how lame the blowing was, but as you said, it is only used a few times to actually progress in a level. The same is true for the pulling mechanic, but in terms of how it is used to make the game more "colourful" it gets blown out of the water :p.

Lijik

I honestly cant remember the times i was forced to use the blowing mechanic in DKCR. In the second half (which is more fresh in my memory) its completely optional.

jnWake

I honestly cant remember the times i was forced to use the blowing mechanic in DKCR. In the second half (which is more fresh in my memory) its completely optional.

I very recently replayed it to get shiny golds so I remember two stages where you had to use blowing. One was the stage with the moving totems in world 5 and the other was the stage with the rolling boulders in world 6. I believe there's also a stage in world 2 with a forced blowing puzzle but nothing more than that IIRC.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
198% All puzzle pieces and blue KONG letters! Now the hardest part of the game... beating motherfucking FUGU on hard mode! Why is Fugu so hard?

Oidisco

I've been slowly going through Hard Mode for a couple weeks now. Besides the bosses, Minecart and Rocket Barrel stages its been pretty easy so far. Just beat the 3rd Boss which was giving me a bit of trouble.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I started playing this game last weekend. Visually I think this is one of the most impressive games I've seen in years. The areas, the effects... The art direction and attention to detail in this game is amazing.

Currently on the world 4 boss. Difficulty is ramping up fast, will have to see if I go for 100% in this.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Got any tips for World 5 Boss?

What part is troubling you? Only general tip is
when he starts making the ice cube stacks, try to stay in between the two shadows furthest away from him so you can jump on the two cube stack and jump over him. Oh, and near the end when he's smacking cubes at you, he'll do a couple fast ones and then a slow one, so don't be fooled by that.

Collected all the puzzle pieces in the normal levels and I think I am now done with the game. Really don't feel like going through the frustration of the K levels.

phanphare

Banned
Collected all the puzzle pieces in the normal levels and I think I am now done with the game. Really don't feel like going through the frustration of the K levels.

oh man, the _-A, _-B, and _-K levels are some of the best in the game. I can vouch for the frustrating bit, it took me probably 50 tries to get 2-K, but it was oh so worth it

Yonafunu

They're really not that hard. I just did 5-K and it was the first one to actually give me a hard time. They're a lot of fun though.

Pila

Give them a try, they're not that hard. Well, don't start with 2-K maybe.

Second island on hard mode is done. The boss was a pain... I really like this game, bravo Retro.

New update for this game..... are they add any new things?

Dunno, but I'm about to start another playthrough in the next day or two, so I guess I will find out. My guess would be that game breaking bug in 3-3. I HOPE they fixed the load screen stuttering and gamepad imput lag, but I am doubting that.

mf luder

I would say the stuttering is worse, it seems to happen when your going through the clouds as you load up the game as well.

AdanVC

Patch for this game available right now, guys! Here are the notes about what this patch fix:

...the patch will solve an issue some players have faced when completing level 3-3, Frantic Fields and finding no path has opened to the next level, Scorch 'n' Torch.

To initiate download of the update, simply start the game in your Wii U while connected to the Internet. According to the notes, players who have already experienced this problem should be able to continue their game unabated.

Source: Nintendo Life

How much harder is this game compared to DK Returns? Because I found that game to be really tough towards the end, any harder and I don't think I could beat it

Ok so I beat the first boss then went back to world 1 to finish up some puzzle pieces and now I cant figure out how to get back to world 2...I feel stupid. Is there a world select? I allready beat the first boss another time just to make sure it wasn't a save issue. HELP!

Ok so I beat the first boss then went back to world 1 to finish up some puzzle pieces and now I cant figure out how to get back to world 2...I feel stupid. Is there a world select? I allready beat the first boss another time just to make sure it wasn't a save issue. HELP!

B button with Wiimote/nunchuck setup allows you to select islands. Not sure about with the gamepad... maybe one of the triggers?

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
I got 200% the other day after finally defeating Fugu in hard mode. I'm working my way through the time trials now, aiming for at least gold medals (almost completed the 5th world).

Once I'm done with all that, I think I'll try and beat every level in hard mode only using Donkey Kong for the ultimate challenge.

VanWinkle

My Pro Controller died while nearing the end of a level. What do I do? I plugged it in, but it's just flashing the blue lights and not doing anything.

Edit: Well I had to just eventually turn the game off, so I have to replay the level from the beginning now. Was really hating that level, too.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Played through world 5 today and the jell-o level is incredible. Tied with world 2's Alpine Incline as my favorite level. Tried the world boss a few times, but I'll leave that for tomorrow.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Is this games difficulty ok in coop? I want to play it with a younger sibling.

Playing co-op requires both players to be of equal ability. If one player is lacking in skill then even the easier levels can become quite difficult to complete. If this is the case you can expect your 1up's to disappear VERY quickly.

I just got this game today, and I'm noticing something. Can you no longer tag between Kongs like you could in the original DKC trilogy?

I didn't play Returns, so sorry if I'm not up to speed.

Top Bottom