• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Bought the game yesterday and its freaking amazing. When I played Rayman Legends and Super Mario 3D World I thought I just wasn't enjoying platformers anymore. The games were great but it felt lacking, I decided to give DKCTF a try and wow I cant put it down. The whole world feels so alive and vibrant and the music is phenomenal.

Bought the game yesterday and its freaking amazing. When I played Rayman Legends and Super Mario 3D World I thought I just wasn't enjoying platformers anymore. The games were great but it felt lacking, I decided to give DKCTF a try and wow I cant put it down. The whole world feels so alive and vibrant and the music is phenomenal.

It only gets better and better the further you get!

I love how the music is a beautiful mix of both Donkey Kong Country and Metroid Prime type stuff I never knew I needed in my life.

Homecoming Hijinx. <3

Just finished my last K-level (6-K) without extras and finally made to the
7th world
!
What were your favorite and least favorite K-levels?

Favorite: 5-K: The pace was fair, pretty much manageable with DK only and it was simply fun! Great jumping passages that weren't such a pain in the arse like in 2-K.

Least favorite: 6-K: Absolutely annoying! It was really slowly paced but had
icy grounds and freaking spikes
everywhere! All this stuff made my hands all sweaty even in front of the least dangerous enemies...Glad they placed a barrel right at the beginning of the stage.

Just finished my last K-level (6-K) without extras and finally made to the
7th world
!
What were your favorite and least favorite K-levels?

Favorite: 5-K: The pace was fair, pretty much manageable with DK only and it was simply fun! Great jumping passages that weren't such a pain in the arse like in 2-K.

Least favorite: 6-K: Absolutely annoying! It was really slowly paced but had
icy grounds and freaking spikes
everywhere! All this stuff made my hands all sweaty even in front of the least dangerous enemies...Glad they placed a barrel right at the beginning of the stage.

I also loved 5-K, but my favorite was probably 3-K. The clockhand concept was just really cool and was another example of Retro's ability to expertly build on a core concept throughout a level, gradually increasing difficutly and spectacle as you go on. Least favorite was 6-K as well. For me, it was the hardest K level, as I refused to use a buddy to help me out the first time through. It isn't bad at all with Diddy or Dixie, but going at it alone with DK is a nightmare.

2-K and 5-K were easily my favourite K stages to play through.
2-K is the one that's easier to digest, a stage I can just easily go and play with no worries and feel like a champ, it's effectively Tropical Freeze's equivalent to Return's Platform Panic.
5-K is the one that feels like I'm growing ape hairs all over my chest when playing through, it always feels a bit tense, it's got some marvellous platforming that flows so well with a great mix of stopping to see the path you have to follow as well as moments where you're just going on the fly like in 2-K, you have to quickly see the approaching problem and platform you're way past it as the stage name suggests.
Returns had tougher K stages but I prefer the more manageable bunch of Tropical Freeze.

6-K is the worst because I just don't find it that fun to actually play, it uses the central shifting platform idea well but it's just too slow for my liking .

Taking a break from this game is much harder than I thought it would be!
I try not to overplay it but it's tricky.

I just made it to the third world.

I thought the praise was going to be a little over the top, but so far this is the greatest 2D platformer I have ever played. Not counting Super Metroid as it's more of an explorative platformer.

Taking a break from this game is much harder than I thought it would be!

Yeah, I've gone through it four times now, and I still have a desire to play more. I've played through about seven new games this year and TF is the only one that has truly delivered and left nothing to be desired (except another Retro game SOON haha).

I also loved 5-K, but my favorite was probably 3-K. The clockhand concept was just really cool and was another example of Retro's ability to expertly build on a core concept throughout a level, gradually increasing difficutly and spectacle as you go on. Least favorite was 6-K as well. For me, it was the hardest K level, as I refused to use a buddy to help me out the first time through. It isn't bad at all with Diddy or Dixie, but going at it alone with DK is a nightmare.
You did it solo with DK? I tried it a few times but stopped at some point. Couldn't take it anymore.
One thing that I didn't like about the game was the fact that Dixie felt so overpowered compared to the other Kongs and that they didn't have enough stages tailored to each of them. But that's only a minor complain.

2-K and 5-K were easily my favourite K stages to play through.
2-K is the one that's easier to digest, a stage I can just easily go and play with no worries and feel like a champ, it's effectively Tropical Freeze's equivalent to Return's Platform Panic.
5-K is the one that feels like I'm growing ape hairs all over my chest when playing through, it always feels a bit tense, it's got some marvellous platforming that flows so well with a great mix of stopping to see the path you have to follow as well as moments where you're just going on the fly like in 2-K, you have to quickly see the approaching problem and platform you're way past it as the stage name suggests.
Returns had tougher K stages but I prefer the more manageable bunch of Tropical Freeze.

6-K is the worst because I just don't find it that fun to actually play, it uses the central shifting platform idea well but it's just too slow for my liking .
2-K easier to digest? Haha I think I lost more than 100 lives on that one (maybe I just suck at playing this game?)...but I certainly felt like a champ afterwards! Also, you summed up 5-K perfectly!
I definetily need to check out DKCR someday. Since the Wii U is my first Nintendo homeconsole a huge backlog is awaiting me. I'm just afraid that Nintendo is going to release HD remakes of some Wii-Classics.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I finally started this game yesterday, and have only played the first world, but I am actually not really feeling it so far. The game looks and sounds spectacular as was to be expected, and I also think the level design is pretty decent for being so early in the game, and I know it will just become better.

However think they have gone way overboard with the collectathon-stuff. Since I usually like some collectables that are done in interesting ways, I end up playing incredibly slow since in this game every freaking thing is a collectable. I also really dislike the collectables where you basically have to die to try on it again, that is a terrible design decision imo. Why not just let give me an opportunity to restart from checkpoint? I completed all previous DKC-games 100% (not that terrible shit that was DK64 though), but I fear this might be the first where I just beat it - which is a bit sad really.

I also have some complaints about the controls. It was stupid to suddenly have roll and run on different buttons, it was way more elegant how it used to be in the Snes-games imo when both were on the same button. The pull things up from the ground-mechanic is also terrible and just slows things down, and should have been removed completely. And I think my biggest gripe is why they brought back the press jump at exactly the right moment when jumping on enemy to get higher. This was always perfetct in Mario-games and the Snes DKC-series - just hold the button down after jumping, and it will work. The fact that they made this timing based in the Wii-game irritated me to no end (and made the Temple-levels way harder than they would have been without this), and the fact that they have expanded it to Cranky is mind-blowing. What could have been an awesome character to use Ducktales-style, now gets more annoying than fun to use - which is a dam shame as he is after all the coolest character in the universe. And having Dixie do the Yoshis Island upturn after holdning down the button for a few seconds, is way less cool than just having her good old cape-like power from DKC2 and DKC3 - but I guess that would have made her to similar to Diddy.

Lastly, there is this strange glitch that happens when the levels loads that causes the animation to freeze. This doesnt matter at all for the gameplay experience, but I find it very sloppy of Nintendo to somehow not have fixed it (or is it my disc-drive that is the problem?).

I have found two secret exits so far, and they were both pretty clever, so that was fun, and even though I wasnt happy with his controls, I still really like to have Cranky in the game, but so far, as you can tell, I am a bit disappointed by this.

Morfeo

If it helps, the only collectables that matter are kong letters, and those are always in plain sight. Puzzle pieces only unlock concept art.

Yeah, I think this was the same in DKCR. I like to have the puzzle-pieces though, its just that 9 is a bit overkill (reminds me of Yoshis Island). 3-5 would have been ideal, and I would have loved to find them all.

Oidisco

I finally started this game yesterday, and have only played the first world, but I am actually not really feeling it so far. The game looks and sounds spectacular as was to be expected, and I also think the level design is pretty decent for being so early in the game, and I know it will just become better.

However think they have gone way overboard with the collectathon-stuff. Since I usually like some collectables that are done in interesting ways, I end up playing incredibly slow since in this game every freaking thing is a collectable. I also really dislike the collectables where you basically have to die to try on it again, that is a terrible design decision imo. Why not just let give me an opportunity to restart from checkpoint? I completed all previous DKC-games 100% (not that terrible shit that was DK64 though), but I fear this might be the first where I just beat it - which is a bit sad really.

I also have some complaints about the controls. It was stupid to suddenly have roll and run on different buttons, it was way more elegant how it used to be in the Snes-games imo when both were on the same button. The pull things up from the ground-mechanic is also terrible and just slows things down, and should have been removed completely. And I think my biggest gripe is why they brought back the press jump at exactly the right moment when jumping on enemy to get higher. This was always perfetct in Mario-games and the Snes DKC-series - just hold the button down after jumping, and it will work. The fact that they made this timing based in the Wii-game irritated me to no end (and made the Temple-levels way harder than they would have been without this), and the fact that they have expanded it to Cranky is mind-blowing. What could have been an awesome character to use Ducktales-style, now gets more annoying than fun to use - which is a dam shame as he is after all the coolest character in the universe. And having Dixie do the Yoshis Island upturn after holdning down the button for a few seconds, is way less cool than just having her good old cape-like power from DKC2 and DKC3 - but I guess that would have made her to similar to Diddy.

Lastly, there is this strange glitch that happens when the levels loads that causes the animation to freeze. This doesnt matter at all for the gameplay experience, but I find it very sloppy of Nintendo to somehow not have fixed it (or is it my disc-drive that is the problem?).

I have found two secret exits so far, and they were both pretty clever, so that was fun, and even though I wasnt happy with his controls, I still really like to have Cranky in the game, but so far, as you can tell, I am a bit disappointed by this.

I had the exact same problems as you did during the 1st world. I hated the controls, jump mechanics and a bunch of other small things.
But all it took to turn everything around was simply to change the controls. For some reason everything just clicked as soon as I did that. I didn't feel like I was wrestling the controls anymore and it allowed to actually appreciate the level design.

And you'll get used to the whole run-button/roll thing and the jumping off enemies thing. I'd recommend using cranky to get used to jumping higher from enemies, since you can have a larger timing window thanks to his cane.

Oh and not every level has 9 Puzzle Pieces. Most have about 5 or 7.

jnWake

I also have some complaints about the controls. It was stupid to suddenly have roll and run on different buttons, it was way more elegant how it used to be in the Snes-games imo when both were on the same button. The pull things up from the ground-mechanic is also terrible and just slows things down, and should have been removed completely. And I think my biggest gripe is why they brought back the press jump at exactly the right moment when jumping on enemy to get higher.

This has been discussed endlessly on this thread.

About the roll/run thing, just use the analog stick. It works a lot better than the D-Pad.

And the timing for the high jump is pretty obvious since they can't make it like Mario games because of the buddy mechanics, you can't simply press the jump button in the air without anything happening. In any case, the timing isn't that strict and, with Cranky, the cane always gives you a high jump so I can't understand your problem there.

Just play more and you'll get used to it.

Sounds like this game just isn't for you... A lot of things seem to bother you, and none of them will change throughout the game unfortunately.

legend166

There's a run button in this game? I just got 100% the other day and never used a run button.

Also, the timing window for the enemy jump is ridiculously wide. Like, what I would do is hit the first enemy, release jump immediately and then press it again immediately and I would always get the extra height.

Did I play a different game to everyone else?

Lunar15

First world's the weakest in the game. Wasn't a big fan of it myself. There's some cool stuff there, but overall it's underwhelming.

Game picks up significantly with the second world. So much variety there.

In general, I don't go for collectables on my first run. I get what I can or what I feel like, but I never go out of my way for it. Then later I go back and clean up. It extends the game in a good way and I don't get frustrated while I'm going through the levels.

There's a run button in this game? I just got 100% the other day and never used a run button.

Also, the timing window for the enemy jump is ridiculously wide. Like, what I would do is hit the first enemy, release jump immediately and then press it again immediately and I would always get the extra height.

Did I play a different game to everyone else?

If you use the analogue stick then no, there is no run. It's only for the D-pad control scheme. And yes, getting the high jump is very simple (the same principal can be applied to Cranky's cane bounce), and you even have a window AFTER you make contact with an enemy to get it, unlike Returns.

First world's the weakest in the game. Wasn't a big fan of it myself. There's some cool stuff there, but overall it's underwhelming.

I'm sure many would agree with you... However, I found the opening island to be excellent. Perhaps even the best opening world to a platformer I've ever played. Personally I found the third island, Bright Savannah, to be the weakest, though still excellent.

braves01

Banned
Yeah, I think this was the same in DKCR. I like to have the puzzle-pieces though, its just that 9 is a bit overkill (reminds me of Yoshis Island). 3-5 would have been ideal, and I would have loved to find them all.

I partially agree with you about there being too many collectables. By my count, there's six different types--bananas, banana bunches, banana coins, kong letters, red balloons, and puzzle pieces.

I would NOT get rid of puzzle pieces or Kong letters. They serve different purposes in each that are sufficiently different to justify keeping both of them. Kong letters are often obviously located, but the challenge is to get them without dying. Puzzle pieces on the other hand tend to require a bit of exploration or greater interaction with the environment. I think the rewards of each are appropriate as well. Kong letters require more execution and unlock hard levels that require precise execution. Puzzle pieces are more detail oriented, and you're rewarded with art that gives you he chance to see some of the finer art detail that went into the design.

I WOULD get rid of banana coins and red balloons, making bananas the sole form of currency in the game. Personally, after about world two I've never been lower than about 85 lives and 800 coins. Those two items are basically worthless to me now, same for bananas. I think if you could only buy items using bananas, they'd be much more meaningful. Also, I'd either get rid of the free life for 100 bananas, or make it more like 500-1000 bananas before you get a free life. Otherwise, the only way to get more lives should be to buy them from Funky using bananas (and that's if you think te lives mechanic should be kept at all).

---
Also I'm at about 175% slowly moving into the final stretch. It's not as bad as I thought it'd be.

Morfeo

I am now in world 3 and while I havent really changed my view on the issues I posted here, and even have one more (the overly long bosses), but I now really like the game despite all these problems. Goes to show how amazing Retro/Nintendo are with art, music and level design which all excels here. Thanks for all the responses to my rant last time btw!

Morfeo

Completed this game today, and it was surprisingly short, but I guess there are also temple levels and hopefully a hidden world or something to unlock? Overall I liked it decently, but think its worse than the Wii-game, and quite a bit behind the Snes-trilogy. Still one of the best plattformers in recent years, and much better than junk like Rayman that only gets praise for its presentation.

Oidisco

Completed this game today, and it was surprisingly short, but I guess there are also temple levels and hopefully a hidden world or something to unlock? Overall I liked it decently, but think its worse than the Wii-game, and quite a bit behind the Snes-trilogy. Still one of the best plattformers in recent years, and much better than junk like Rayman that only gets praise for its presentation.

Glad you liked it. There are some extra things to unlock (I assume you found all the non-temple levels), but there's not a lot.

Morfeo

I really liked the secret exits in this game, and it was fun how Twilight Terror actually had two (cant remember seeing that in a Mario-game for instance). For the next one, they should go the whole way and make an interconnected world-map like in Super Mario World with tons of secrets - that would be awesome!

Morfeo

Just have to say that holy shit some of the temple levels are insanely hard - and I like it!

Just need to get a the last few puzzle pieces in one world now, and I think I am done with it. While I still agree with my earlier criticism of the game, the important parts, that is level-design, controls, charm and presentation, are (mostly) amazing, and the game also does have some interesting ideas once in a while, so I am all in all quite happy with it!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Picked this up again after a hiatus and I'm at the final boss. He's actually pretty easy, except for one thing: the jump timing on his final phase... I can't get him when he's speeding by, the timeframe is incredibly small compared to the earlier stages. Any hints for this specific problem?

Picked this up again after a hiatus and I'm at the final boss. He's actually pretty easy, except for one thing: the jump timing on his final phase... I can't get him when he's speeding by, the timeframe is incredibly small compared to the earlier stages. Any hints for this specific problem?

If you can get a Kong partner to survive all the way until the end I think Diddy is the best to help the timing for the final hitbox with his jetpack allowing you to still descend while shifting across to help hit the weak point.
Cranky might also widen the hit point ever so slightly if you use the pogo cane but I'm just guessing there, Diddy is probably the better choice.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Did it, finished the game. Incredible experience, like it even more than Returns. Don't know if I'm hardcore enough for the temple stages though, some of the w6 levels were already tough enough for me.

If you beat every K level, there are even more levels right?

Loco4Coco

I started playing this game over the weekend, why did noone mention the LockJaw Saga remix? When I got to the level I was like "this fucking game!".

gotoadgo

Did it, finished the game. Incredible experience, like it even more than Returns. Don't know if I'm hardcore enough for the temple stages though, some of the w6 levels were already tough enough for me.

If you beat every K level, there are even more levels right?
Yes, there's another island with 3 more K style levels. I'd recommend doing the K levels as they're some of the best in the game and aren't THAT tough.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yes, there's another island with 3 more K style levels. I'd recommend doing the K levels as they're some of the best in the game and aren't THAT tough.

Yep couldn't resist and started them. Beat 1 & 3, Bopopolis is proving to be the hardest so far.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Either I'm getting old and terrible or this game is really hard. I just spent a good hour on the second boss and I only just beat it. It definitely went a step past fun hard and moved into frustrating hard. The game is really beautiful though and the art is great. I've really enjoyed the cart levels.

Either I'm getting old and terrible or this game is really hard. I just spent a good hour on the second boss and I only just beat it. It definitely went a step past fun hard and moved into frustrating hard. The game is really beautiful though and the art is great. I've really enjoyed the cart levels.

It's actually easier than Returns was. Are you using Dixie as your partner character? She makes things significantly more manageable.

I started playing this game over the weekend, why did noone mention the LockJaw Saga remix? When I got to the level I was like "this fucking game!".

Pretty sure it's been mentioned thousands of times :p.

maxcriden

Yep couldn't resist and started them. Beat 1 & 3, Bopopolis is proving to be the hardest so far.

Bopopolis probably took me over 100 tries. SO satisfying to play and to beat, though. You can do it!

Nah, it's a hard boss. My wife is a platforming master and it took her a bunch of tries to beat it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Bopopolis probably took me over 100 tries. SO satisfying to play and to beat, though. You can do it!

Yep, think I can, because I already beat every K stage and now there's only 7-3 left. Final section is a bitch, but I'll get it eventually. So glad I'll be able to beat every stage.

So far this is easily goty 14 for me. Something I didn't expect, with the release of Dark Souls 2. Just an incredible platformer where the art, design and soundtrack have been polished to perfection. I was thinking about replaying Returns to see which one I like better, but I may prefer the diversity and design in this one. I like world 4 a little less compared to the others, but even there you get underwater levels that are fun to play. The only real problem I have with the game is that the bosses take too long to beat.

I'm just constantly amazed by the quality of Retro's output... These guys don't mess around. After the Prime trilogy and these games, how can you not love what they're doing. One of the best teams around.

Loco4Coco

I've come to a conclusion that Cranky Kong sucks in this game. Both Diddy and Dixie have a move to help you swim but Cranky just swing his cane? ugh

Cranky Kong is genuinely the best Kong Partner assuming you're capable enough with standard jumping.
Granted I wouldn't take him into underwater sections, he ain't no fun down in the depths though his cane can take out spiky urchin enemies.

maxcriden

Yep, think I can, because I already beat every K stage and now there's only 7-3 left. Final section is a bitch, but I'll get it eventually. So glad I'll be able to beat every stage.

So far this is easily goty 14 for me. Something I didn't expect, with the release of Dark Souls 2. Just an incredible platformer where the art, design and soundtrack have been polished to perfection. I was thinking about replaying Returns to see which one I like better, but I may prefer the diversity and design in this one. I like world 4 a little less compared to the others, but even there you get underwater levels that are fun to play. The only real problem I have with the game is that the bosses take too long to beat.

I'm just constantly amazed by the quality of Retro's output... These guys don't mess around. After the Prime trilogy and these games, how can you not love what they're doing. One of the best teams around.

Hey, you beat Bopopolis! Kudos! And yeah, 7-3 we still haven't gotten back around to (that one is my wife's turn to beat). It really is an amazing game. Have you played the 3DS port of DKCR? I really liked the additional world Monster Games added.

I finally got back to finish and 100% this game, I hadn't done the K levels and oh my lord 2K too me a while, I'm cheating and using the Parrot in every level to find all the puzzle pieces.

I just completed everything from worlds 1-5, only the final world left to finish(and I know there's 3 levels after the final boss).

The game is fantastic and I think it's better than Returns. The K levels have been my favorite, but I die a lot in them(around 10-20 times).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yesss finally beat 7-3, dat final stretch is murder. I'm happy with 100% and all levels beat. Won't bother with puzzle pieces.

Replaying Returns on 3DS seems like a neat idea... So it's a good port?

braves01

Banned
Yesss finally beat 7-3, dat final stretch is murder. I'm happy with 100% and all levels beat. Won't bother with puzzle pieces.

Replaying Returns on 3DS seems like a neat idea... So it's a good port?

I'd go for puzzle pieces in TF before replaying Returns on 3DS...

That said, personally I think the 3DS remake is a great port. The 30 fps is significant and noticeable, especially coming off the 60 fps fluidity of TF, but after a few levels I quickly became accustomed to it, and I never felt the frame rate seriously impacted my ability to enjoy the game. It's a pretty amazing translation otherwise, preserving most of the little graphical details from the Wii version. I played with 3D on the whole time and thought it was well implemented for the most part.

I expected DSII and TF to fight over my (meaningless) GOTY vote, but nearly halfway through the year now TF is significantly ahead of anything else. And yep, the end of 7-3 was an absolute nightmare! Haha.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I bought Returns on 3DS, feels great to play through the game again. Too bad about the slowdown in some levels.

Listening to the Freeze OST now, it's so good. The Busted Bayou theme is godlike.

I was never that into the Rare DKC games, but the Retro games just click with me. TF is my favorite platformer since the original Galaxy. And to think some people were actually disappointed they made a sequel to Returns instead of moving on to something else.

I wouldn't even mind a third game at this point, which is unlikely to happen. I thank Retro for making me love the DK franchise.

Esiquio

Okay just bought this game today and I'm on the second world. I love hard games, but damnit I feel like I'm fighting the controls sometimes. How the hell do you get past the parts with Rhambi (sp?) and the falling platforms and stuff on I think it's 2-2? I keep falling short. I see that there is a dash button that you press once to dash while on the rhino, but it wears out. I was expecting to just HOLD dash down like in previous Kong games. Please explain, I died so many times already.

You just need to continue pressing the button to keep dashing instead of holding it.
Also note that when you have a Kong partner you can do the same to continuously roll.

Top Bottom