• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

I just tried playing more DK and I'm just not feelin it right now. I definitely need a break.

But I can that Tropical Freeze is easily the best 2D platformer I've ever played. Freakin masterpiece!

I just finished my fourth playthrough. I've put about 75 hours into the game overall. Time for a break, but it will be hard pressed to be knocked out of my top spot for GOTY.

Magnus

Ok yeah, when I play on the game pad I hear all the centre sound effects coming through it. Donkey's grunts, the sound of him hitting the ground when he pounds it, etc. Nothing through my centre surround speaker though, wtf?

Oidisco

I just finished my fourth playthrough. I've put about 75 hours into the game overall. Time for a break, but it will be hard pressed to be knocked out of my top spot for GOTY.

Between 2 playthroughs I put in about 100 hours. Most of that was spent doing Time Attack on Busted Bayou and Windmill Hills...
The game is definitely my favourite 2D platformer evah though. And to think I was so close to completely writing it off!

Ok yeah, when I play on the game pad I hear all the centre sound effects coming through it. Donkey's grunts, the sound of him hitting the ground when he pounds it, etc. Nothing through my centre surround speaker though, wtf?

Hmm, maybe you should go into your System settings and switch it over to Stereo sound, atleast until you can figure what the problem is and fix it!

Between 2 playthroughs I put in about 100 hours. Most of that was spent doing Time Attack on Busted Bayou and Windmill Hills...
The game is definitely my favourite 2D platformer evah though. And to think I was so close to completely writing it off!

Just curious... Why were you going to write it off? Too similar to Returns? Upset that Retro wasn't making something else?

Oidisco

Just curious... Why were you going to write it off? Too similar to Returns? Upset that Retro wasn't making something else?

I hadn't played Returns (still haven't actually), but the trailers just didn't look that good to me. Plus while I liked DKC2 and 3, they were far from my favourite games on the SNES.

And yea I'll admit, I was disappointed that Retro were making another DK game. Don't I look stupid now!

I hadn't played Returns (still haven't actually), but the trailers just didn't look that good to me. Plus while I liked DKC2 and 3, they were far from my favourite games on the SNES.

And yea I'll admit, I was disappointed that Retro were making another DK game. Don't I look stupid now!

Interesting. I hope you'll give Returns a shot too! Most will disagree with me, but I slightly prefer it to TF. The music and graphics obviously aren't as good, nor are the bosses/enemies, nor does it have the variety of TF, but I felt the level design was stronger. It's definitely a bit more challenging, and the extra difficulty allowed for even crazier (in my opinion) level design. It has more levels than TF, and the world seemed more lively and interactive to me as well. There are double the amount of minecart levels, and a couple more rocketbarrel and Rambi levels than TF had as well, which were positives in my opinion. There was more stuff to groundpound and blow compared to TF, and background elements were even more active. I'd actually be really interested to what people say about Returns who played TF first. I know some people have problems going back playing older games in a series for the first time, but it's something I never had any issue with. I haven't tried the 3DS version though... I couldn't handle 30FPS for a game like that. I heard the extra levels that Monster added are pretty good though.

maxcriden

And I'm posting this here even though it had it's own thread, but listen to this guys! Now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSqYgIHgqFI
Best version of Stickerbrush Symphony evah!

I loooove this version. Thanks for the link!

Also, I'll second TSB in recommending you play DKCR. It's truly amazing. BTW, FWIW I didn't mind 30 fps at all on the 3DS, although it definitely feels a bit different. Also, the extra levels in that version are awesome.

Oidisco

I loooove this version. Thanks for the link!

Also, I'll second TSB in recommending you play DKCR. It's truly amazing. BTW, FWIW I didn't mind 30 fps at all on the 3DS, although it definitely feels a bit different. Also, the extra levels in that version are awesome.

Interesting. I hope you'll give Returns a shot too! Most will disagree with me, but I slightly prefer it to TF. The music and graphics obviously aren't as good, nor are the bosses/enemies, nor does it have the variety of TF, but I felt the level design was stronger. It's definitely a bit more challenging, and the extra difficulty allowed for even crazier (in my opinion) level design. It has more levels than TF, and the world seemed more lively and interactive to me as well. There are double the amount of minecart levels, and a couple more rocketbarrel and Rambi levels than TF had as well, which were positives in my opinion. There was more stuff to groundpound and blow compared to TF, and background elements were even more active. I'd actually be really interested to what people say about Returns who played TF first. I know some people have problems going back playing older games in a series for the first time, but it's something I never had any issue with. I haven't tried the 3DS version though... I couldn't handle 30FPS for a game like that. I heard the extra levels that Monster added are pretty good though.

Thanks for the recommendation! I do want to get Returns, though as I said I'm a little burnt out on Retro's style of DK right now. Plus it's €40 for both 3DS/Wii, and I can't afford that (especially with MK8 coming out soon!)
I might go back and play DKC2 though. It's been years, and I don't think I ever finished it when I was younger.

This game is excellent. Almost everything from the presentation to level design is beautiful, and varied. I managed to get up to world 4 in single player, and went all the way to the Bashmaster boss fight in world 5 with my friend. I really need to pick it up again, but I often find myself busy with work(Usually art/animation). All I can say is, if Retro chose to make another DK game I'd be there day one.

Lunar15

I think Wise avoided using a lot of Stickerbrush Symphony, along with straight remixes of older songs, in order to give more attention to his new stuff. The nostalgia would make people cling to those songs the most and not champion all the other great stuff in there.

And let me tell you, there's some great stuff in Tropical Freeze.

Oidisco

This. This is just... wow.

They know what made that track great. Interesting how Wise himself refuses to revisit the sound of the original, but will only give us completely different takes on it.

Refusing sounds a bit too strong. It wouldn't have made sense to just remake the track as it was in the original, since it wouldn't have worked. The level before it (Scorch n Torch) is a really dramatic and a somewhat sad level, so following it up with a version of Stickerbrush Symphony that was similar to the original would've been weird, since it's a beautiful and pleasant song. This games version is those things too, but it sounds like more of a lament to me.

Not only that, but the flute(I'm not actually sure what instrument it is, just assuming it's a flute) is the lead instrument for World 3 and since this song is used in W3, it had to have the flute. Every other level did.

Having Wise himself remix/remake Stickerbrush Symphony in a way that apes the original much more closely would come across as a missed opportunity to me especially after seeing the direction he took other old tracks in.
I thought Aquatic Ambiance suffered from such an approach in this very game, while tracks like Lockjaw's Saga, In a Snow Bound Land and Stickerbrush Symphony itself got remixes that experimented further to various degrees and stood out in their own right Aquatic Ambiance was just a pretty straight redo of the SNES original and managed to sound a bit worse with the shrill harmonica, I preferred his DKC3 GBA take on the theme.

Oidisco

Having Wise himself remix/remake Stickerbrush Symphony in a way that apes the original much more closely would come across as a missed opportunity to me especially after seeing the direction he took other old tracks in.
I thought Aquatic Ambiance suffered from such an approach in this very game, while tracks like Lockjaw's Saga, In a Snow Bound Land and Stickerbrush Symphony itself got remixes that experimented further to various degrees and stood out in their own right Aquatic Ambiance was just a pretty straight redo of the SNES original and managed to sound a bit worse with the shrill harmonica, I preferred his DKC3 GBA take on the theme.

Now that I think about it, I think in that Super Marcato Bros interview David Wise did a few months back he mentioned that some of the older tunes were actually done by Kenji Yamamoto and his sound team. I'm wondering how many of those old songs he did, and how many were done by Yamamoto.
Though they were probably mostly collaborations.

Now that I think about it, I think in that Super Marcato Bros interview David Wise did a few months back he mentioned that some of the older tunes were actually done by Kenji Yamamoto and his sound team. I'm wondering how many of those old songs he did, and how many were done by Yamamoto.

I'm fairly sure he was referring to DKCR's soundtrack there, in that he enjoyed hearing Yamamoto's sound team's interpretations of his old tracks.

The straight remix of Aquatic Ambiance seemed appropriate to me since we were robbed of it in DKCR. The harmonica is overly harsh but it doesn't bother me as much ingame. Maybe it's serving as a counterpoint to the very muffled harmonica instrument in the original?

Edit - not that TF's AA would have been appropriate in Returns, anyway, but for the return of water levels in fucking DKC after 15 years, it had to be done.

Taichu

How many gaffers achieved the 200% completion mark? I'm at 194%... Still have the level 3, 4 and final bosses to beat in hard mode, and the Irate Eight level. All puzzle pieces collected.

How many gaffers achieved the 200% completion mark? I'm at 194%... Still have the level 3, 4 and final bosses to beat in hard mode, and the Irate Eight level. All puzzle pieces collected.

I got 200% the second day the game was out.

Yes, I am a crazy person. Never binged so hard on a game.

Oidisco

Yea I just got 200% there a couple days ago, though I haven't actually found all the puzzle pieces yet. And the Final Boss was much easier than I thought he would be in Hard Mode, which is nice!

I'm fairly sure he was referring to DKCR's soundtrack there, in that he enjoyed hearing Yamamoto's sound team's interpretations of his old tracks.

The straight remix of Aquatic Ambiance seemed appropriate to me since we were robbed of it in DKCR. The harmonica is overly harsh but it doesn't bother me as much ingame. Maybe it's serving as a counterpoint to the very muffled harmonica instrument in the original?

Edit - not that TF's AA would have been appropriate in Returns, anyway, but for the return of water levels in fucking DKC after 15 years, it had to be done.

Really? I was sure he was talking about TF. It has been a while since I listened to the interview so I'm probably mis-remembering.

As Xtortionist pointed out I think this was referring to Return's soundtrack.
I think the themes in TF are mostly Wise's work but Yamamoto has some input and influence on some of them, notably a bunch of World 6 themes that have those Metroid Prime like fingerprints all over them.

Part of the glory that is Team 200%
I wish you luck with the final boss, he was an absolute ball ache for me.

I was dreading Irate Eight but got past it on my second attempt If I remember correctly, actually all the water stages went rather well for me except for Current Capers of course, I'm not immune to its brutality. As for bosses I don't think Fugu is that bad, remembering to prepare for his inhaling and exhaling was the key point for me.

Listening to that intro theme for Irate Eight reminds me that Deep Keep is only heard briefly on like one small stretch of land in the entire game which is criminal, more so than Twilight Terror's limited use of Stickerbrush Symphony.

jnWake

Not yet... I've been too obsessed with Time Trials. I do Hard Mode and Time Trial for each stage in order but I tend to get stuck attempting good times so my Hard Mode progress is slow.

I'm now on 5-5 though, so there isn't much left!

Oidisco

Listening to that intro theme for Irate Eight reminds me that Deep Keep is only heard briefly on like one small stretch of land in the entire game which is criminal, more so than Twilight Terror's limited use of Stickerbrush Symphony.
Yea dude, Deep Keep song is great. Been listening to it a tonne on my ipod.

I actually love how much effort was put into the music that we only hear for like 20 seconds!

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

200% checking in.

I was dreading Irate Eight but got past it on my second attempt If I remember correctly, actually all the water stages went rather well for me except for Current Capers of course, I'm not immune to its brutality. As for bosses I don't think Fugu is that bad, remembering to prepare for his inhaling and exhaling was the key point for me.

Whoops, lol. I thought you were talking about Irate Eight in the post I quoted, not the final boss. Frederick was very tough, took me upward of 20 tries. I was using Cranky to give myself a more lenient hitbox, but Diddy may have been a better choice. idk

also I died twice at the very end of Current Capers, to the pufferfish surrounding the goal barrel. One of those times was my first or second attempt >_<

Deep Keep's theme is so good. When :59 hits, I'm all like

i0EYCnzXRM0zm.gif

that gif can be applied to pretty much the whole TF soundtrack

Taichu

200% for me now! I nailed Irate Eight on the third attempt, and Fugu just took me once. I guess I underestimated how much better I got at the game, since I needed Dixie's additional golden hearts to get by those same levels on normal mode.

I did... The normal levels I didn't find very difficult actually... The minecart, rocketbarrel, and bosses destroyed me though haha. Overall though, Mirror Mode from DKCR I found more difficult, as was the game in general.

I actually love how much effort was put into the music that we only hear for like 20 seconds!

Same with the SS remix... Whenever I play the level I listen to it a couple times through before I hop in the rocketbarrel. I doubt it was planned that way... We know they changed some of the tracks that would go with certain levels... The first level was originally had the Jungle Japes remix.

I thought Aquatic Ambiance suffered from such an approach in this very game, while tracks like Lockjaw's Saga, In a Snow Bound Land and Stickerbrush Symphony itself got remixes that experimented further to various degrees and stood out in their own right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pz2npT05jQ

This was definitely my favorite. I spent about a half hour in Rockin' Relics just swimming around listening to this (it only plays in Irate Eight for a moment).

legend166

That's an odd glitch, hopefully you can fix it somehow. I really wish you could display the game on the TV and Gamepad at the same, so I'd be able to use my headphones while playing on the TV!

And I'm posting this here even though it had it's own thread, but listen to this guys! Now!

That dude has a super long thumbnail and it's creeping me out.

bndadm

After 74 lives and a 2 day break between binges, level 6-Boss is done and 200% is in the books! This ranks up there next to the "I wanna be the guy" achievement from Super Meat Boy in personal gaming accomplishments for me.

The sad part is I knew the pattern to the boss but could never quite get the timing right to land on the boss without hitting the horns.

Great game and finally ready to take it out of the Wii U after these last few months.

I was enjoying this game a lot until world 6 happened. Every level in world 6 is just ridiculous. Think I lost 25 lives in just one level, 15 of those within the first 10 seconds of restarting from a checkpoint. On level 6-7 now and I'm done with fun, it's just all about finishing the game because I'm so close to the end.

Dantis

Am I right in assuming there's still no word on an OST release?

That's an odd glitch, hopefully you can fix it somehow. I really wish you could display the game on the TV and Gamepad at the same, so I'd be able to use my headphones while playing on the TV!

I think the Burning Idol version is a lot better, personally, though that one you linked is still really cool.

maxcriden

I was enjoying this game a lot until world 6 happened. Every level in world 6 is just ridiculous. Think I lost 25 lives in just one level, 15 of those within the first 10 seconds of restarting from a checkpoint. On level 6-7 now and I'm done with fun, it's just all about finishing the game because I'm so close to the end.

I'm sorry to hear it. Just out of curiosity, have you been collecting all of the letters or puzzle pieces as you go? Regardless, you might want to take a break and come back when the game is feeling more fun to you. No sense grinding through it. I've experienced similar frustration with DKCR and Rayman Origins and I enjoyed them much more when I went back to them (to the 3DS version, though, in DKCR's case).

I'm sorry to hear it. Just out of curiosity, have you been collecting all of the letters or puzzle pieces as you go? Regardless, you might want to take a break and come back when the game is feeling more fun to you. No sense grinding through it. I've experienced similar frustration with DKCR and Rayman Origins and I enjoyed them much more when I went back to them (to the 3DS version, though, in DKCR's case).

I was in the beginning, but now I'm just trying to get through the levels. Will take your advice and hang it up for a bit. The game keeps calling me back, even though it keeps kicking my ass.

Oidisco

Am I right in assuming there's still no word on an OST release?

I think the Burning Idol version is a lot better, personally, though that one you linked is still really cool.

That version isn't bad, but it's not really my thing. With remixes I prefer it to be either extremely faithful to the original (which the video I linked does absolutely perfectly!) or tries something very unique and different with the original tune, like the Tropical Freeze version of the song.
I kinda feel that Burning Idols video sits somewhere in the middle and as I said, it's not my thing. Still well performed and all that jazz though.

Gambit

Beat the final boss yesterday.

Still missing 6-A, B and, therefore, K.

All in all, I loved, loved, loved the game.

However there are some things I liked less than in DKCR. For starters, there were not enough mine cart levels! In Returns World 5 (if I remember correctly) was my favourite, as it consisted almost exclusively of those. Instead, Tropical Freeze offers many water levels, and I dislike most of them. They simply drag on too long and my favourite part of a platformer, the platforming!, is absent.

Also, the boss fights drag on too long as well. Having said that, the Vikings are probably my favourite DK enemies.

Last but not least, the soundtrack is incredible. As I hoped it would be.

Tonight I'll try to finish the remaining levels (and potential bonus).

Sagitario

However there are some things I liked less than in DKCR. For starters, there were not enough mine cart levels! In Returns World 5 (if I remember correctly) was my favourite, as it consisted almost exclusively of those. Instead, Tropical Freeze offers many water levels, and I dislike most of them. They simply drag on too long and my favourite part of a platformer, the platforming!, is absent.

I feel the same. I missed the cart levels while I didn't enjoy water ones much.

Gambit

I feel the same. I missed the cart levels while I didn't enjoy water ones much.

I am even more disappointed, because they added some new mechanis to the few minecart levels they had. I wish these would have been explored further. (Like diving in the sawmill or the third-person view).

Instead we get these awfully long, slow swimming levels. I much prefer the frenetic DK action.

Anyway, yesterday I finished the K-levels and everything else. Now I wonder if I should do Hard-mode or not. I think I'll take a break first.

Apart from the water-levels I love it all.

Eiolon

Finally in world 4 (playing with a 6 year old will hold you up a bit). I am really enjoying this game so far, but I'll tell you, the music and atmosphere in world 4 really takes the cake. It's so immersive. Sure the swimming controls are a little iffy but wow. I had been listening to the soundtrack on Youtube but until you pair it with the actual gaming experience and a nice sound system it does no justice.

Finished it last night finally, really enjoyable, beautiful to look at and amazing to listen to.

A bit challenging at times (maybe I'm getting old lol), but manageable. Best of all, man, the music.... seriously, so good.

Nintendo should be throwing whatever they can at David Wise and whoever was teamed with him to keep working on some of their stuff.

Unless X does actually come out this year I'm not sure what else can threaten for serious OST of the year contender!

GobFather

Finished it last night finally, really enjoyable, beautiful to look at and amazing to listen to.

A bit challenging at times (maybe I'm getting old lol), but manageable. Best of all, man, the music.... seriously, so good.

Nintendo should be throwing whatever they can at David Wise and whoever was teamed with him to keep working on some of their stuff.

Unless X does actually come out this year I'm not sure what else can threaten for serious OST of the year contender!

since I don't have a wiiU, I went over to Fry today and tried the demo for donkey kong..... it was great.. it looked and felt amazing. very close to buying it lol

Top Bottom