• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Oidisco

Just have 5 secret levels, 2 bosses (World 4 and 6) and some K levels and I'm done with Hard mode!
After this my plan is to back and find all the Puzzle Pieces I missed and then try out Time Attack on every stage and master em all!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Now that it's been a while since I've played through the game, and I feel like I'm able to come to a level-headed conclusion on how I feel about it... yeah, this is the best platformer I've ever played. I think I actually like it better than Yoshi's Island (my previous #1.)

There's really nothing I don't like about it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
LTTP just started this today...

Holy shit GAF!

This game THIS GAME!!!

The music the graphics the levels the secrets the gameplay

Ssshhiiiieeeeeeeeetttt

Retro TOO GOOD!

Lkr

the load times are so bad. i know all wii u games are like this, but holy shit is this game just awful in that regard. it seems like it takes 5 minutes from power on to be moving in a level

About 2.5 hrs trying to speedrun 3-K last night; still no good. Trying again today :)

the load times are so bad. i know all wii u games are like this, but holy shit is this game just awful in that regard. it seems like it takes 5 minutes from power on to be moving in a level

Have one of these while you wait.

h37CD603F

MrBlonde

Mu fiancee got me this for Easter today, only had time for a couple levels. Seems like a great game, already died a few times so that worries me a little, hope it doesn't get to hard. My plan is to just beat the levels and get what I can then ill go back and try for collectibles

Mu fiancee got me this for Easter today, only had time for a couple levels. Seems like a great game, already died a few times so that worries me a little, hope it doesn't get to hard. My plan is to just beat the levels and get what I can then ill go back and try for collectibles

Lock the liquor cabinet & hide the knives.

I've been replaying 3D World and I am surprised at how short and simple the levels are. It didn't feel like it the first time I played through, but after putting about 65-70 hrs into Tropical Freeze, it's much more noticeable. I don't think it's a bad thing, but it makes me appreciate the level of detail put into TF even more.

Astral Dog

I think this is tied with The Wonderful 101 as my favourite game on the system. Will be on my GOTY list fo sho.

Wonderful 101 is good, very original and has some amazing parts, but i just couldnt get in to it :(, the controls felt a little off to me, even frustrating and the soundtrack was not as good as other PG titles, im glad it was made and i bought it full price, but hopefully Bayonetta 2 is Platinum best game on Wii U

This is not true.

And, yeah, it takes a bit to load from the start but once you are in each level loads just as fast as DKCR did (DK runs across the screen twice).

jnWake

Yeah, initial loading is a bit of a pain but it gets better after the game is loaded. It's still not quick but not as bad as people make it seem.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

dat hyperbole

and mate, play Lego City Undercover please, I want to read your impressions. You can write them while the game is loading

Agree with what has been said about loading. The initial load is bad, but the way people complain about waiting 12 seconds to play a long and ridiculously detailed level is telling of the lack of patience people have these days.

greg400

Banned
Just beat this to 100%
(unlocked hard mode)
, what a phenomenal game. The level design, music and challenge really make this sublime and one of the best platformers I've ever played. I really can't recommend it enough.

Shauni

The initial loading is kind of long, but not really that bad for me. I also don't have that problem with other Wii U games?

maxcriden

dat hyperbole

and mate, play Lego City Undercover please, I want to read your impressions. You can write them while the game is loading

I really want to play more LCU but the initial load time actually keeps me putting it off.

BTW, my wife beat 5-K. Woo hoo! I'm working on 6-K and it's kicking my butt. Maybe technically not as hard as 2-K, but I'm finding it plenty hard regardless.

Lego City Undercover is definitely worth playing, even if you hate long loading times. It's the only real flaw I can think of, other than the game being on the easy side. Great game.

Also I agree with those who feel like TF is the best game on the system and one of the best platformers ever. It was frustrating for me at times, but so worth the effort.

I have to continue my playthrough that was stopped because, life and work.

I am at the end of World 4. Had been getting everything on each world but I am going to switch strategy and just try to finish it and then get everything else. Really enjoyed the time trials I tried. I love how that completely changes the game.

I said it before on this thread but this game is in my top list of games of all time, the feeling I got while playing just match very few games like Half Life 2, SMG and SM3DW. I also hope to include W101 on this list as I am starting a playthrough but I have to focus on less games.

It gets everything right for me, and there is no better compliment for a game than having a hard time to put it down, shutting down my Wii U when the birds start singing early in the morning.

I really want to play more LCU but the initial load time actually keeps me putting it off.

BTW, my wife beat 5-K. Woo hoo! I'm working on 6-K and it's kicking my butt. Maybe technically not as hard as 2-K, but I'm finding it plenty hard regardless.

6-K I actually found to be the hardest K level on hard. Trying to clear it with DK was an absolute nightmare.

maxcriden

6-K I actually found to be the hardest K level on hard. Trying to clear it with DK was an absolute nightmare.

I just beat it tonight and it felt. So. Good. This was on normal mode, though. We finally got into
World 7, and beat the first two levels. Pretty tough and very satisfying!

Lkr

dat hyperbole

that scares me. my friend and i both agreed the load times are awful while playing, but we are both spoiled by ssds

javac

The levels are pretty long and dat David Wise isn't going to load themselves! :p Plus I love the little fly-in you get for each level. The only issue is when you want to restart a level, you have to quit, wait for it to load, select the level again and wait again for it to load. Seeing Dixie roll DK during the load screen eases the pain.

BraXzy

Played through the first world so far, started on the second, absolutely loving the game.. I can't wait to attempt the time trial records when I'm done (even though I'm not that great at it yet).

Is it weird that I prefer using the GamePad to the Pro Controller so far? I think it is partly just because it's what I've used the most but we'll see.

jnWake

I also thought 6-K was hard. People here were saying it was the easiest one!

For me, 3-K is definitely the easier one. Order would be 3-K, 1-K, 4-K, 2-K, 6-K and 5-K for me. I had a lot of trouble timing some of the platforms in the middle of 5-K ;_;

I also thought 6-K was hard. People here were saying it was the easiest one!

For me, 3-K is definitely the easier one. Order would be 3-K, 1-K, 4-K, 2-K, 6-K and 5-K for me. I had a lot of trouble timing some of the platforms in the middle of 5-K ;_;

We're talking about hard mode :p

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
^yeah LCU is worth playing. Easily one of my top five games on the system. Loading times are bad, tho, but once you get into the city it's seamless free roaming and tons, tons of fun

Oidisco

5th place on Busted Bayou Time Attack with Cranky (gave up on Dixie).
Feels good mang!

edit- And now 3rd place in Windmill Hills!? This is a good day!

BraXzy

I'm gradually working through the game, I did the world 2 boss not long ago, I liked his attacks but god it dragged. I'd get close to killing him and then mess up and have to start right over, it's a shame each section didn't have a checkpoint.

Just now I finally got through 2-K after about 50 lives lost. (No companion) It was super satisfying when I finally completed it. I died a hell of a lot right near the end
with the flying penguins (kept falling short of the walrus guy) and quite a bit on the penguin wheels too
which bugged me -.- by the time I finished, I could 'speed run' 75% .. I wonder what actual speed run times are, I didn't check.

Onto World 3 anywho.
Or is it 'Island 3'?

-TK-

I did the world 2 boss not long ago, I liked his attacks but god it dragged. I'd get close to killing him and then mess up and have to start right over, it's a shame each section didn't have a checkpoint.

wtf...checkpoints? I'm starting to understand why every game is so easy novadays...

RomanceDawn

Video of my 5-3 run!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVoudTqwlqE&feature=youtu.be

Hope you like it, it was hard to pull-off!

As I said on youtube GADZOOKS!!! I've only done about 8 speed runs for the gold. I'll get back into it once I finish hard mode.

While I'm doing hard mode at my house I play co-op on my brothers Wii U basically going through it all again a 2nd time. Well 3rd depending on how you look at it.

This game just keeps on giving.

BraXzy

wtf...checkpoints? I'm starting to understand why every game is so easy novadays...

Haha don't hate me. To be fair after I finished I was like ehh that wasn't too hard, it's the fact I'd always slip up right near the end and frustrated the hell outta me. I admit I much preferred 2-K's lack of checkpoints because ot was way more satisfying completing it.

Oidisco

200% Achieved!

I had planned on getting Golds on all levels and maybe attempting a Speedrun, but I've already played so much that I really need a break.

I kinda want to put the game away for a few years, just so that when I play it again it'll be an awesome little nostalgia trip! Guess we'll see what happens.

maxcriden

200% Achieved!

I had planned on getting Golds on all levels and maybe attempting a Speedrun, but I've already played so much that I really need a break.

I kinda want to put the game away for a few years, just so that when I play it again it'll be an awesome little nostalgia trip! Guess we'll see what happens.

Niiiiice! Congrats! We still need to beat
7-3.

Oidisco

I just tried playing more DK and I'm just not feelin it right now. I definitely need a break.

But I can that Tropical Freeze is easily the best 2D platformer I've ever played. Freakin masterpiece!

Magnus

You guys were right. The music gets a lot better in world 2.

I seem to have a bizarre audio glitch going on. Some sound effects seem to be missing from my center channel. Like when donkey first arrives in a level and beats his chest or pounds the ground there's no sound coming from the center. I know that my center speaker is working correctly because music and everything else is coming through just fine but sound effects seem to be missing from that center channel.

Oidisco

That's an odd glitch, hopefully you can fix it somehow. I really wish you could display the game on the TV and Gamepad at the same, so I'd be able to use my headphones while playing on the TV!

And I'm posting this here even though it had it's own thread, but listen to this guys! Now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSqYgIHgqFI
Best version of Stickerbrush Symphony evah!

Top Bottom