• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Neiteio

Oh man, Horn Top Hop. It will seem quiet and subdued at first, but listen to the whole thing. Very catchy.

EDIT: I'm listening to this song for like the third time and I'm quickly becoming convinced this is one of Wise's finest.

Neiteio

You say this pretty much after every new tune you hear :p.
Hahaha, it might seem that way, but I think... I think I've only said it about Amiss Abyss... and Busted Bayou... and Horn Top Hop...

Probably Mangrove Cove (Underwater), as well.

And probably Homecoming Hijinx, too.

And probably...

Lunar15

Holy shit, the savannah world. It's like fucking Lion King. The first level alone, the music, so damn good. The soundtrack is great by itself, but it's so, so, so much better when you're actually playing the level. The only sad thing is that the game seems quite a bit easier than DKCR so far, but it might just be experience.

That'd run pretty counter to some of the reviews coming out. Funny if true.

Gsnap

It's now labeled the "Ground" version. I'm guessing he'll be uploading an "Air" version of Alpine Incline, as well?

Yeah, in that old IGN video you can hear that there is some sort of music transition when they go up via the giant balloon.

Neiteio

Do my ears deceive me, or are there echoes of the ghost mine cart level from DKC2 in Sawmill Thrill. And is that Diddy Kong Racing at the end???

Kinsei

Banned
It's now labeled the "Ground" version. I'm guessing he'll be uploading an "Air" version of Alpine Incline, as well?

Seems to be that way. It looks like he's uploading the tracks in the order they appear, so I'm guessing the midair/sky version will be next.

Neiteio

Looking forward to the World 2 boss fight theme, one of my favorite boss battle themes (along with the World 4 boss).

I haven't actually posted in here yet, nice OT BroBuzz, one could say you've wasted your talents on this one eh?...*cough*

I've got to try and ignore these music links now the game is so close, i've listened to a few but now I've got leave a bunch to stumble across unknowingly in the game itself.
Yet I can't resist the allure of Alpine Incline, curse you Neiteio the herald of hype™
This one is quite far removed from the others i've heard so far and certainly has a whiff of the SNES titles about it, the electronic like backing is kind of reminiscent of that heard in Stickerbrush Symphony at points though the theme takes an angle more akin to DKC1's more atmosphere heavy themes, love the little Accordion section.

Neiteio

Yet I can't resist the allure of Alpine Incline, curse you Neiteio the herald of hype™
T1FWY01l.jpg

From my MK8 graphics thread. But replace Mario's head with my avatar's head, and Iwata's head with Dave Wise. (And yeah, I know my avatar's also one of the angels.)

I haven't actually posted in here yet, nice OT BroBuzz, one could say you've wasted your talents on this one eh?...*cough*

I've got to try and ignore these music links now the game is so close, i've listened to a few but now I've got leave a bunch to stumble across unknowingly in the game itself.
This one is quite far removed from the others i've heard so far and certainly has a whiff of the SNES titles about it, the electronic like backing is kind of reminiscent of that heard in Stickerbrush Symphony at points though the theme takes an angle more akin to DKC1's more atmosphere heavy themes, love the little Accordion section.

It's okay. I succumbed to the Alpine Incline link, too. Holy crap. I love it.
Is it Friday yet? No? ; ;. I'm getting a freaking Vita this week and I'm probably more excited for this game.

MrBadger

As a whole, how are people finding this soundtrack compared to the classic DK country soundtrack? For me, it's already surpassed 1 and 3GBA, but I think 2's is slightly better. My opinion might change after I experience the soundtrack while playing, though.

Kinsei

Banned
T1FWY01l.jpg

From my MK8 graphics thread. But replace Mario's head with my avatar's head, and Iwata's head with Dave Wise. (And yeah, I know my avatar's also one of the angels.)

That was a nice thread. You're the master of hyperbole and we love you for it

Alpine Incline is sooooo good. I think it's going to be one of my most replayed levels for the music alone.

Neiteio

3D World was No. 1 on Amazon during the holidays and is the worst-selling 3D Mario ever.

Starved WiiU owners. Creates a crush of purchases all up front and then peters off.

EDIT: Alpine Incline (Mountain), fuuuuuu -- I thought from the opening notes I could leave it off my car CD, but now I have to consider it. ;_;

As a whole, how are people finding this soundtrack compared to the classic DK country soundtrack? For me, it's already surpassed 1 and 3GBA, but I think 2's is slightly better. My opinion might change after I experience the soundtrack while playing, though.

This is pretty much EXACTLY where it is landing for me, from the very little I've heard. But, again, I love just about every single music track in DKC2.

Exile20

3D World was No. 1 on Amazon during the holidays and is the worst-selling 3D Mario ever.

Starved WiiU owners. Creates a crush of purchases all up front and then peters off.

EDIT: Alpine Incline (Mountain), fuuuuuu -- I thought from the opening notes I could leave it off my car CD, but now I have to consider it. ;_;
Such a Debby downer :(

Kinsei

Banned

I think it's the best soundtrack in the series. I didn't think any game soundtrack would surpass DKC2 in my eyes, but the unthinkable has happened.

Neiteio

Such a Debby downer :(
Not a Debbie Downer! Who knows how this game will sell. Maybe this (and other WiiU games) are simply a slow burn and will sell well in the long run.

All we know is it's here, it's amazing, it's an instant classic, and that's all I need to be thankful. :)

Frolow

Banned

Talents? Heh. That would imply I have any decent photoshop skills to begin with.

Neiteio

Yes he is, too bad I picked Turtwig.

That's in world 4 right? If so then I think you'll be waiting for a while.
Yeah, Amiss Abyss will take a bit longer yet. In the meantime, we're coming up on Wing Ding, Skowl's Theme, Grassland Grove, and Cannon Canyon, which are all great. And when we do get to World 4, we can look forward to three (or was it four?) versions of Lockjaw's Locker, in addition to Amiss Abyss, High Tide Rise and the World 4 boss.

Feeling positively spoiled as a Dave Wise super-fan right now.

Just a reminder, there's a spreadsheet to find other DKC-gaffers if you want to compete for leaderboard times. Just add your NNID, it's easy! Quote to reveal.

That JonTron episode is amazing! I wish he'd played more of that Vietnamese Pokemon Crystal though, I couldn't stop laughing at that translation.

That episode hit home with me. I bought a bootleg Silver cart in Times Square when I was like nine before the game was released in NA. Translation was totally broken most of the time but I remember one of the scientists in Goldenrod Tower saying "Fuck you" as he challenged me to a battle. Good times.

Kinsei

Banned
That JonTron episode is amazing! I wish he'd played more of that Vietnamese Pokemon Crystal though, I couldn't stop laughing at that translation.

That was just the tip of the Vietnamese Crystal iceberg. It gets much, much better (worse) than what he showed.

http://i.imgur.com/T1FWY01l.jpg[img]

[spoiler]From my MK8 graphics thread. But replace Mario's head with my avatar's head, and Iwata's head with Dave Wise. (And yeah, I know my avatar's also one of the angels.)[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

I'll just half arse things with this combo
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibagtaZwmkk2CG.png
image.php

It's okay. I succumbed to the Alpine Incline link, too. Holy crap. I love it.
Is it Friday yet? No? ; ;. I'm getting a freaking Vita this week and I'm probably more excited for this game.
Anything I'd been playing over this last month felt more like a stepping stone en route to the true event of Tropical Freeze including my latest Vita game as great as it was.

Topping DKC2 is going to be a mighty feat.
It's held my favourite VG soundtrack for years and years, I don't think there's a single dud in the package even down to something like the seemingly repetitive Bad Bird Rag from Screech's Sprint which I find to have a great gradual build or the understated fanfare jingle when you turn the game on sufficiently preparing the player for the greatness within (on this note it sucks that DKCR and probably TF as well have such lame builds to the title screen after the Prime and DKC trilogies).
DKC2's music could be succinctly summarized as memorably moody melodies and that's what makes it work for me as well as that distinct SNES sound being pushed to its limits.

From what I've heard of TF so far it's like a grab bag of DK series styles with it mostly geared towards the more jaunty stylings of DKC3 GBA (I think Lijik said something along these lines as well) except with the great advantages of not being rushed out in 5 weeks and hindered by the rather lacklustre GBA sound quality which is nice. Wise said himself in that one podcast that the music this time around was a bit more cheery to match Retro's visual aesthetics yet within the soundtrack I've still heard tracks that call back to DKC2 and even some bouncier themes that are a touch like Diddy Kong Racing.
In a sense Tropical Freeze seems to have its very own style because of this, one which is more varied in genres you could say, less theme reuse across the game itself by having more music to fit the more individual stages with a touch of dynamic changes to play into the stages own shifting setups and why not after all? Retro look to be making each of their stages stand out on their own terms and the music helps this further.

It's too soon for me to say how Tropical Freeze soundtrack fares but right now all signs point to something great and I can see it comfortably taking my SotY top spot on the strength of the tracks themselves and their implementation into the gameplay.

Talents? Heh. That would imply I have any decent photoshop skills to begin with.
Those crafty banners and such are the reason I'll always be deterred from making an OT myself so it's still better than me.

Top Bottom