• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Could just be excitement over a new DKC but besides a couple 'meh' tracks this is easily shaping up to at least be on the same level as DKC2-musically speaking.

Well it started okay with the splash screen things DK jingle and then....yeah, I get the whole straight into the action angle but I need something more.
Come on Retro, where the hell is something like THIS in your DK games?
Even something simple like the Retro Studios and Nintendo logos popping up in a tropical scene only to suddenly get frozen over by a sudden influx of icy wind.

Neiteio

At 2:20 it transitions to the version that plays when you're sliding on the vines. SOOOOO GOOOOOD!!!

Edit: Oh god I swear my heart skipped a beat when it got to 3:02. It's so beautiful!
Wing Ding has that sort of transcendent charm. You feel like you're soaring across the universe.

Well it started okay with the splash screen things DK jingle and then....yeah, I get the whole straight into the action angle but I need something more.
Even something simple like the Retro Studios and Nintendo logos popping up in a tropical scene only to suddenly get frozen over by a sudden influx of icy wind.

Does Nintendo still use splash screens? Don't think I've seen one in their games in forever.

The question was about the cave music. I probably should have clarified that in my post, sorry.

Ah. 2-A, I think.

Neiteio

Going through Piplup's uploads so far, I'm constantly relistening to Busted Bayou, Horn Top Hop, and Wing Ding. Freaking amazing stuff.

Does Nintendo still use splash screens? Don't think I've seen one in their games in forever.

Nintendo really like to just jump straight to the title screen these days, an angle I understand as they want to get you to the game faster and that by faaar tops the logo parade of most modern games but I do dig having a little skipable something to lead in to that even if its just as simple yet classic as A Link to the Pasts Triforce assembling.

Nintendo Land was the weirdest, not even a title screen? I can't deal with that, it throws me for a loop every time I play it, though with the slow loading upon starting up the game pre patch on the Wii U I guess that was a blessing.

Random Aside: I'll be chuffed as chips if a stage on Frozen DK Island got a Phendrana Drifts style theme from Yamamoto with that lovely little icy sound he employs, though after Returns I'm not expecting much from his side aside from his beloved chorus sample turning up every now and then like in the snowmad theme.

Kinsei

Banned
Going through Piplup's uploads so far, I'm constantly relistening to Busted Bayou, Horn Top Hop, and Wing Ding. Freaking amazing stuff.

I can't get enough of Alpine Incline (both versions). David truly is the Wisest video game composer.

Some stuff to look out for: Grassland Grove (obviously), Frantic Fields (Rambi version), Cannon Canyon (dat flute!), Irate Eight beginning version (so smooth it's like anti-aliased silk), every world 6 song, final boss theme (prepare your anus for this one if you haven't heard it already).

Could this soundtrack surpass DKC2? I think it could. To reference a familiar thread - "Does DKCTF have the most voluminous and varied soundtrack in a platformer ever? I said WOW!"

Neiteio you better make that goddamn thread after the game launches :3

meh, just send me right into 1-1 as I press start for the first time

jnWake

I have 100% cleared DKCR (Mirror Mode and Gold Medals, not all shiny) up to 8-4 in preparation for this game. Just a few levels to clear everything!

I hope speed running in TF is as fun as it is in Returns.

MrBadger

If we're talking openings, I've always been very fond of the opening to DKC3GBA. But I'm fine with the game just starting up straight away. Even a short sequence like this gets tedious when you just want to start playing the game.

Man I just can't get enough of "Emmentaler Stollen" (Cave music). Creepy as hell. The hints of
DKC's Cave Dweller Concert
make it all the more chilling.

GWX

That JonTron episode is amazing! I wish he'd played more of that Vietnamese Pokemon Crystal though, I couldn't stop laughing at that translation.

Indeed, that vietnamese pokemon is so random :lol. Also, I loled waaay too hard at: "beedrill, porygon, monkey, mario dinosaur, eeeeeh, abomination"!

On topic, well... Is it the 21st yet? =(

Preordered from Amazon UK, looking forward to playing it this weekend. My poor Wii U is sitting there unloved and I absolutely loved the Rare DK's and the first Retro one too so had to buy this game.

In fact i've moved my Wii U from downstairs to in the study alongside my PS4. Looking good together, I must say :)

Any estimates on the length of the game?

42 levels if you want to blow through the game, 63 total.
One reviewer said the game was "really short" and another said it took them nearly 25 hours. IGN said 13 hours. I'd say it highly depends on how you play the game, your skill level, how much you want to collect and explore, etc.

My friends and I get together every Friday to have a gaming session at a mates place and we have been starved of any couch co-op stuff lately.

Even though we never finished DKCR on Wii i'm looking forward to grabbing this. Not sure why the Australian release date is 22/2/14 though.

Any update on these horrible load times? How bad are they? Do they exist in DD?

What horrible load times???

Besides loading the first level for the first time, they are on par with Returns.

Then again, knowing people, many would call those "horrible".

I thought they were fine.

One review mentioned around 13 hours, but to 100%, play hard mode, doing time trials, that you can easily triple that.

Triple that? If time trials are as hard as they were in Donkey Kong Country Returns, you can multiplicate that number by ten or more, seriously. I spent more than 100 hours in order to get all those delicious shiny golds back in DKCR.

Top Bottom