• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

rawktapus

Ugh, my Target had it in stock, but the computer wouldnt let the cashier sell it, so he put away all the copies. I was so cloooose...I had it in my hand...

Hiccup

Banned
Yeah and If the cashier sold it to you they might have gotten fired and the store could have been fined.

No way Nintendo would do this in this day and age when they're barely able to sell anything.

Speaking of..what all do we expect DKCTF to sale? I'm honestly not even expecting 50k this month.

JoeM86

So, spent 3 hours with it so far. Half way through world 2. Enjoying it, but worried I'm going through too quickly.

Typical issue with Nintendo games. It keeps calling me back.

I think 50k is a reasonable number. I would love for it to do 100-200k though.

So, spent 3 hours with it so far. Half way through world 2. Enjoying it, but worried I'm going through too quickly.

Yes... they call to me too haha. You are only 1/4 done though!

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I kind of want to get this, but to be honest, I gave up on the wii one fairly quickly (didn't really jive with the controls or flow of the game). Tried the 3ds version and gave up instantly.

I want to believe though, game looks like it has been getting positive press and I enjoyed the original Donkey Kong Country.

I'm halfway through World 3 and I'm stuck in the same situation, need to find ways to distract myself from its allure of platforming and Dave Wise goodness.

JoeM86

I'm halfway through World 3 and I'm stuck in the same situation, need to find ways to distract myself from its allure of platforming and Dave Wise goodness.

Thankfully, puzzle pieces etc. will have me coming back to 100%.

Some of the hidden exits are really hard to find.

Thankfully, puzzle pieces etc. will have me coming back to 100%.

All too often I finish a stage missing just one puzzle piece, it's like the small sting that takes a little bit of joy out of stage completion but hey there's more replayability from that I guess. It's a shame the bonus rooms are still pretty naff though I think the rotation of repeated rooms is at least higher in number this time around, puzzle pieces within the stages themselves are coming across as being placed better than in Returns perhaps because I don't need to blow on every thing this time around.

JoeM86

All too often I finish a stage missing just one puzzle piece, it's like the small sting that takes a little bit of joy out of stage completion but hey there's more replayability from that I guess. It's a shame the bonus rooms are still pretty naff though I think the rotation of repeated rooms is at least higher in number this time around, puzzle pieces within the stages themselves are coming across as being placed better than in Returns perhaps because I don't need to blow on every thing this time around.

Yeah.

I'm definitely enjoying this game. Had a few rage inducing moments, thankfully I'm playing with the Pro Controller since it's easier to replace if rage takes over :p

daydream

Banned
Didn't know this had secret exits. More platformers need them. imo (SMW showed us how to do it ages ago!).

World 2 gives me some serious Klonoa vibes. Quite unusual world design for a DKC game and it's beautifully realised. Really awesome so far. (I'm also finishing DKCR 3D on the side, so yeah, good times.)

Already I'm faced with mighty choices, Cranky is the most fun partner character for me with the cane pogo, Dixie is my favourite of the side characters though, poor Diddy will mostly be left in the barrel.

I'll always go Diddie for the bosses (unless pogo is really useful). It's the classic duo, man! His hover jump is also more intuitive to me than Dixie's helicopter.

Robin64

Those cockteases.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_016bc2a.jpg

sinnergy

Just got it, looks amazing. Found first easter egg lol.
old dkc music in plane that you crash in.

Looks like this game has some form of AA, looks very clean. Best AA I have seen on WiiU.

n64coder

I need to keep better track of my preorders. I just ordered it from Amazon a few days ago and then I got an email stating that NewEgg just shipped something which happens to be the same game. I forgot that I pre-ordered it from NewEgg a while ago for $42. That sucks. I guess I'll ship Amazon's copy back once it arrives.

I need to find the cheapest/reliable way to ship it back to them.

Delstius

Just finished the first boss, this game is awesome.
The levels are long enough, there's secrets everywhere and so far while being fairly easy, it isn't a walk in the park either if you're a completionist.
The loading is annoying though and I miss the old Funky Kong song, but that's just nit-picking.

Kouriozan

Same for me, that's why I stopped at World 3-2.
I want to enjoy it as a long time as possible, I also plan to 100% this.

Branching paths through worlds are more of a thing than I expected here with at least two stages often being behind an alternative route per world, maybe that's to make it easier for some people to reach the ending without having to go through as many stages, I'd sooner be forced to deal with them all classic DKC style.
World 3's boss is like if a certain lame boss battle in Returns was handled in a much more entertaining fashion,
the crab trio that is

World 2 gives me some serious Klonoa vibes. Quite unusual world design for a DKC game and it's beautifully realised. Really awesome so far. (I'm also finishing DKCR 3D on the side, so yeah, good times.)
I was playing Klonoa just the other day and yeah now you mention it, the whole theme with the hills and windmills do bring about a comparison to its opening stage along with overly jaunty music.

I'll always go Diddie for the bosses (unless pogo is really useful). It's the classic duo, man! His hover jump is also more intuitive to me than Dixie's helicopter.
Roll jump into jet pack still feels right, roll jump into helicopter hair or pogo not quite.
Really it's all about bringing your favourite partner Kong into the bosses for their unique cutscene animations.

Those cockteases.

http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_016bc2a.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Something about DK and Diddy's smug heads in the top corner just made this post even better, they know whose sequel spot they swiped.

Peff

The underwater levels in world
feel pretty Rayman-ish more so than SNES DKC.

Branching paths through worlds are more of a thing than I expected here with at least two stages often being behind an alternative route per world, maybe that's to make it easier for some people to reach the ending without having to go through as many stages,

Yeah, there seems to be quite a bit of this. The barrel rocket stages I've done so far have a pretty empty main path but puzzle pieces/KONG letters in locations that are tougher to get. Not so much the minecart levels, though, but there's not that much they can do there.

Went to Target today, had game out. Tried to buy it. Went up front. Register blocked it :(

I kind of knew it would but...what the hell. I tried. I can wait one day. I just got a Vita. Hot Shots Golf is kinda fun. I wish I could play as Cranky Kong in it.

Dammit. This is gonna be a hard wait.

maxcriden

Broadcasting from home since I am not going back to work this week! Yay! SO. PUMPED. for DK tomorrow. I'm going to try to get some Epic Yarn in tonight though.

AdanVC

Blehh I have to wait until saturday wich is pay day to get the game :'(! So great that everyone who already has the game is enjoying it!

kunonabi

amazon still hasn't shipped my copy despite having tomorrow as the delivery date. My decision not to renew prime gets easier and easier.

Top Bottom