• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Feindflug

Just got it, looks amazing. Found first easter egg lol.
old dkc music in plane that you crash in.

Looks like this game has some form of AA, looks very clean. Best AA I have seen on WiiU.

I hope DF will do an article on Tropical Freeze as they did with 3D World.

quiet you

also, just cleaned my fridge for DKCTF tomorrow

Are you also getting the fridge magnets pre-order bonus? I'll have mine tomorrow.

MOCO725.jpg

rawktapus

So, it's basically the same as SP, but each person controls a Kong? The Wii U really is a fantastic couch co-op gaming machine!
Yep, the other kongs can also jump and off DK's back to let him handle the trickier parts while they ride safely. Great if you have younger siblings or kids.

For those that want to know how long the game is, it took me (an average player) a bit more than ten hours to (mostly) rush through the game and beat the final boss. That is without collecting many puzzle pieces or KONG letters, finding secret exits or playing any of the hidden/bonus levels. It includes listening a bit to the music and (I assume) idle time.

A short impression maybe: The first four worlds are incredible, but I found world 5 a bit disappointing (both soundtrack and design). The last world has some really great tunes and level design, but unfortunately recycles Homecoming Hijinx twice (i.e. it's used in three levels). It's definitely easier than the first game, but still challenging (and getting everything will take a lot of time and many, many deaths). I think some of the levels in DKCR however had more interesting platform design and especially its last few worlds impressed me more (and the Canyon world from DKCR had a great feeling).

Is it better? For now I'd say they're about even, although DKC:TF definitely has the much better soundtrack and some really, really amazingly entertaining/atmospheric levels. I'd probably give DKC:TF the advantage, as it's more fair and every level had a very clear, new identity.

I also loved that Returns stuck to the classic level areas and the order that they appeared in the original - it was vintage, but with a modern twist in level design. The canyon area was a surprising thematic deviation, though, and easier to accept because it was just the one new theme. It was my favourite alongside factory. The game was perfect.

Tropical Freeze has new themes and I don't think the level design will surprise me as much as its predecessor because it's not entirely new anymore. So your impressions seem to correlate with my expectations going into Tropical Freeze.

Looking forward to trying it myself.

I don't really play 3D World alone, mainly play it co-op with my girlfriend when sHe comes round, and sometimes with friends. I wonder if this'll fall into the same category.. either way, good to see another great Wii U game with full local co-op.

Haters going to hate, but the Wii U bringing back local multiplayer is one of the best things about this gen - and yes, I have a PS4.

The underwater levels in world
feel pretty Rayman-ish more so than SNES DKC.
They are very close in play style though Rayman has a bit more finesses to his swimming movements, DK is still a lumbering ape after all.
The air meter is getting more use than I expected, sometimes when on the hunt for a puzzle piece I nearly perish forgetting that its there.

Hooooly shit. 2-4 is the best minecart level ever. EVER!
The stage name was correct, there were indeed thrills in that mill.
The last minecart stage I played that bigs up all that 3D view gimmickry managed to feel plain by comparison.

Nocturnowl still got this game earlier than me

I smolder with generic rage
Well you'll always have that one time you got 3D World first right? just ignore everything else that came out last year and we're even.
It's all fun and games until Bayonetta 2, then I expect you'll be burning with genuine rage.

K' Dash

I never go to the next stage until I have all the puzzle pieces and Kong letters, this should take me 30 to 35 hours, like Returns.

daydream

Banned
So glad Wise decided to rearrange Mine Menace from DKCR for the Rocket Barrel levels (at least for the one I played). I was just listening to the original track earlier while playing through World 4 of Returns and deemed it one of the best tunes in that game.

On to world 3! World 2 was amazing, loved the aesthetics a lot. The boss was superb, too!

Haven't played the secret levels yet, but I'm not afraid to call it one of the best worlds I've experienced in a platformer. Absolutely fantastic. 100% d'accord on the boss.

World 3 is just as amazing, imo. Just beat the boss there and think I'm gonna call it for today. Getting a bit sleepy which is not the state you want to be in to appreciate all the craft that went into this gem.

maxcriden

Hmm I can't afford another game. I would have to trade 3D World (completed) and Raymen legends ( didn't like it).
I don't know. Is it really THAT good?

You're never going to play 3DW again? You might not want to trade it in if you might. Trade-in values aren't great IMO and I have really regretted some past trade-ins that were a bit hasty of me.

Hmm I can't afford another game. I would have to trade 3D World (completed) and Raymen legends ( didn't like it).
I don't know. Is it really THAT good?

You're never going to play 3DW again? You might not want to trade it in if you might. Trade-in values aren't great IMO and I have really regretted some past trade-ins that were a bit hasty of me.
The Perfect Dark can always try to sell the game on the B/S/T thread here.

Xun

Xun, have you contacted Amazon CS? In the US they're usually really good about this. They may still be able to fix it for you with one day shipping going out to you tomorrow.
Luckily it's been despatched, and apparently it should be with me by Saturday.

Fingers crossed I do get it then instead of Monday as it originally said!

My first game with ShopTo was Returns. Got it the day before release date and decided to use them from thereon out. Always got them either on release day or the day before, so no problems yet.
Sounds good!

I've been meaning to use them for a while.

R0ckman

I'm gonna be broadcasting this most of Sunday with my friend who is a BIG Rare DK Country fan. He'll probably go ape shit though if this game is as difficult as DKCR was for him. Platforming was a gift of mine but it'll be fun seeing how he screws with my flow. Hopefully he doesn't go full AVGN on a live broadcast. It was like a demon possessed him when we were playing Ninja Gaiden over Xbox Live chat.

maxcriden

The Perfect Dark can always try to sell the game on the B/S/T thread here.

Ah yes, good idea! You'll definitely make more money this way. That reminds me, I need to re-list LBW (physical version). Anyone here can feel free to PM me first if you want it before I post it.

Yeah that's the problem^^ I think I'll have to wait :/

As DJL said you might want to sell Rayman on B/S/T instead of trading it in.

Luckily it's been despatched, and apparently it should be with me by Saturday.

Fingers crossed I do get it then instead of Monday as it originally said!

Fingers crossed!

I love very hard games like Super Meat Boy but I think that Tropical Freeze, wich is actually an hard game, is less frustrating than Returns wich was tougher but also more annoying (maybe for the controls). I prefer TF's difficulty level.

Ah yes, good idea! You'll definitely make more money this way. That reminds me, I need to re-list LBW (physical version). Anyone here can feel free to PM me first if you want it before I post it.

As DJL said you might want to sell Rayman on B/S/T instead of trading it in.

Fingers crossed!

Dat shipping costs (Germany-US) :D
Heh, I'll decide tomorrow

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but you can play multi-player in offscreen mode. The gamepad acts as a screen for two players using other controllers, e.g. wiimote + wii u pro controller. Quite handy if you want to free up the TV, but still play multiplayer.

NEO0MJ

Just finished the first world! I was surprised by how complex the boss is compared to the one in DKCR, and how many hits it took to beat him. Having a lot of fun, but Im leaving the game on the side for now until I complete Bioshock Infinite.

This game has secret exits?

Yeah, but they don't seem to do anything.

popyea

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but you can play multi-player in offscreen mode. The gamepad acts as a screen for two players using other controllers, e.g. wiimote + wii u pro controller. Quite handy if you want to free up the TV, but still play multiplayer.

You can do that with any game that supports off-tv play btw. If two players can play on the screen, two players can play on the pad. You can even have one player controlling the pad (though it's less comfortable for the second player to see the screen).

Top Bottom