• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Skyzard

Banned
Got the game here in Spain. It is just as amazing as a Donkey Kong Country Returns sequel is expected to be. Sure the impact is low compared to its prequel, but the level design is brilliant and all in the game is crafted with passion to detail and love. I think it looks way better than in the shown videos and I find it myself pretty more impressive than Super Mario 3D World. Cranky's animations are hilarious.

I spent nearly two and a half hours on the first level time trial, but now I can proudly say that I have earned my first Shiny Gold medal of the game. I've uploaded the video of the run, so if anyone is interested:

1-1 Mangrove Cove - Shiny Gold (01:39,89)

Looks like a lot of fun, thanks for sharing the video.

Sickbean

So is this likely to be a better platformer than NSMBU? Because I just finished that and it was pretty incredible. Best 2D Mario since SMW.

So is this likely to be a better platformer than NSMBU? Because I just finished that and it was pretty incredible. Best 2D Mario since SMW.
It's not comparable. NSMBU is the superior platformer because it has such a depth gameplay that allows for multiple approaches to every single level.
On the other hand, Donkey Kong Country Returns and that one will be like modern Rayman games done right, or in other words, a much more limited approach to each level (there's only one way of doing it right).

It probably depends on your preference, but Retro's DKC games are WAY more detailed and lively, and have a sense of place and a certain degree of realism, where Mario is much more abstract.

-Setsuna-

NSMBU is actually better than SMW, but let's keep it between ourselves.

DKTF is different. More brutal and visceral, I'd say.

It probably depends on your preference, but Retro's DKC games are WAY more detailed and lively, and have a sense of place and a certain degree of realism, where Mario is much more abstract.
No offence, but if that's your approach when comparing different videogames I think that reading books or watching movies may be a better hobby when it comes to satisfy your entertainment needs.

Sickbean

NSMBU is actually better than SMW, but let's keep it between ourselves.

DKTF is different. More brutal and visceral, I'd say.

Hehe, yep in a lot of ways it is. But the two are separated by too much time for me to be objective.

Anyway back on topic, I missed out on Donkey Kong on the Wii completely (after loving the original Rare trilogy), so I might be in for even more of a treat than most.

No offence, but if that's your approach when comparing different videogames I think that reading books or watching movies may be a better hobby when it comes to satisfy your entertainment needs.

This is baffling as a response to this:

...Which is not a critical comparison, simply a fact.

This is baffling.
I don't think so. Games are a much more limited media when it comes to push for realistic or vivid scenes (real time rendering on limited hardware vs real life + high quality CGI rendered on rendering farms).

Sickbean said:
What on earth are you trying to get at?
I'm just recommending him better options to satisfy his needs. Unless you think that a console can compete against real life + rendering farms, the best and most realistic graphics, as well as the better "realism" will be there and not here.

I'm just recommending him better options to satisfy his needs. Unless you think that a console can compete against real life + rendering farms, the best and most realistic graphics, as well as the better "realism" will be there and not here.

But it was just an aesthetic observation, I thought. Not like "this is worse/better", just noting the difference.

But it was just an aesthetic observation, I thought. Not like "this is worse/better", just noting the difference.
Someone asked to compare both games, and he obviously compared them for what he thought was most important.
It's not that he is wrong (preferences are personal), it's just that I think that other medias will satisfy him more than this one.
Imagine someone asking "which is the better book, IT or the shining?" and someone answering "IT has a more dark and abstract cover, but the one in the shining is better drawn and has an interesting use of colours". I would without any doubt tell this person: you're not wrong in your preferences, but you may be happier if you stop reading books and start to go into museum galleries.

What are your thoughts on the game in if itself?

I am hesitant, yet open minded, as I thought the last game was one of the least interesting and memorable games in the genre, personally.

My concern about this is that it just reeks of cash grab as we just had a DK game, what, three years ago that was later ported to 3DS and here we are again. Meanwhile, other IPs long missing remain so. Did they make this because they felt there were ideas that couldn't be implemented due to time constraints the first go around ? Does it feel fresh or samey? Does it evolve the ideas that were introduced in the first game?

If they were going for a simple cash grab I really doubt they would spend 3 years working on it with multiple teams collaborating on it at certain points of development.

Go319

Nintendo fanboy / Wii U owner here.

ive bought all of the 1st party and 2nd party exclusives since launch, finished most, kinda became disinterested in mario3d world as i worked my way through world 7 and now my interest in this game (DK) is at an all time meh.

Am i beyond salvation?

Is it just platformer fatigue?

:(

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Xun, have you contacted Amazon CS? In the US they're usually really good about this. They may still be able to fix it for you with one day shipping going out to you tomorrow.

Your new avatar is amazing :D.

Wondering if Redbox will be stocking this. Come to think of it, does Redbox even stock Wii U games? Also does anyone know how much time it usually takes for the average game to come to Redbox from its release date? I'd buy this but I'm poor, and can't wait to play it!

Nintendo fanboy / Wii U owner here.

ive bought all of the 1st party and 2nd party exclusives since launch, finished most, kinda became disinterested in mario3d world as i worked my way through world 7 and now my interest in this game (DK) is at an all time meh.

Am i beyond salvation?

Is it just platformer fatigue?

:(

It could be platformer fatigue... It's one of my favorite genre's though so even after playing NSMBU, NSLU, Rayman Legends, Sonic Lost World, and SM3DW, I am still beyond hyped for Tropical Freeze. Though Retro's DKC games play much differently than any of those other games, especially in terms of level design and physics. I've seen a lot of people describe it as DKCR on steriods, so ff you've played DKCR you probably have a good idea of what to expect.

Yoshi

Maybe. Who knows? He surely must've changed his mind. No way am I buying that dog story. I mean come on! **sigh**

Tell him you like piss-GamePads. If it's really pissed on, you can at least play the game with a Wiimote and a Nunchuk ;).

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Copy just got delivered from Shopto :D. Played the first level so far and it looks fantastic but can't find the last puzzle piece >.<

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
NOOOOOOOOO! Unbelievable!

As some of you know I tracked down and bought a Wii U Basic Console second-hand off eBay for $210. I payed for it two days ago and just now this is the message I received from the seller: “Hello sir! Unfortunately I have some bad news...I have received your payment for your Wii U, bud sadly this morning my dog urinated all over the Wii U gamepad, slightly damaging it and causing it to smell. I’m terribly sorry about the inconvenience. I have put a refund through. Sorry again.” Are you for real!? I feel like I’m being trolled here. I was so happy to have found it at that price, and now it’s gone and I can't afford to pay anything more. I can’t believe it! : (

I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE!

iGq5UQWNxa7nz.gif

LOL sorry for laughing
yeah mate all the hints sound like you have been trolled. Surely the refund has been swiftly taken care of? You paid with Paypal?

great video Kamek, dammit dammit DAMMIT

Have you had a look on gumtree.com.au? You might be able to find a decent second hand Wii U on there.

I just had a look but had no luck. The prices seem pretty shitty and some of the consoles are in awful condition.

Tell him you like piss-GamePads. If it's really pissed on, you can at least play the game with a Wiimote and a Nunchuk ;).

LOL, I'm actually tempted to say that I don't care, but if it really is pissed on then I don't think I'll be too happy about it. **sigh**

LOL sorry for laughing
yeah mate all the hints sound like you have been trolled. Surely the refund has been swiftly taken care of? You paid with Paypal?

I payed with PayPal...he said something like tomorrow he'll be able to refund it because that's when the money goes into his account.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I payed with PayPal...he said something like tomorrow he'll be able to refund it because that's when the money goes into his account.

sounds good, sad thing is that you will have to wait for your WiiU since money won't reach your account until tuesday, at best :/

sounds good, sad thing is that you will have to wait for your WiiU since money won't reach your account until tuesday, at best :/

I don't think I'll be getting a Wii U for a while now. $210 was a good price, but I honestly can't afford anything over $250 at the moment.

It stings that I won't be able to play Tropical Freeze when I was so close. I even cleared some shelf room for the Wii U the other day. :(

I don't think I'll be getting a Wii U for a while now. $210 was a good price, but I honestly can't afford anything over $250 at the moment.

It stings that I won't be able to play Tropical Freeze when I was so close. I even cleared some shelf room for the Wii U the other day. :(

You shouldn't give up the search.

Up to World 3, that savannah level is even better when compared to the one in 3D World (it was the weakest in the game), but then you play 3-2 and 3-3 and you can't help but feel that this game is a fucking gem.

Dong Expansion has truly begun, now to try and withhold myself from powering through the game too fast which I say about every platformer I buy and then proceed to finish the main game within two days.
Already I'm faced with mighty choices, Cranky is the most fun partner character for me with the cane pogo, Dixie is my favourite of the side characters though, poor Diddy will mostly be left in the barrel.
World 1 seems on par with that of Return's Jungle of what I played, really i'm just itching to break into the next set of worlds though where the settings are more interesting and the Wise one is unleashed.

It's fucking Cranky Kong.

08ueZs5.png
Such hidden images truly embody the DK spirit.

Yoshi

210$ seems to be a price you should be able to score again, considering in Germany the premium version with WWHD was sold for 200€ a few days ago...

Semajer

My copy arrived this morning. I've 100%'d world 1, and just finished 2-1. So far it's fantastic. It controls well with the gamepad, it's gorgeous to look at, and the music is fantastic.

I spent a week or two before christmas watching ebay like a hawk for a Cheap Wii U, expecting so many parents to be selling the one they bought last year for a PS4/X1, and especially watching for the ones that priced it like it was a regular Wii.

Now I have a Wii U Deluxe and I paid $120 shipped for it.

Someone asked to compare both games, and he obviously compared them for what he thought was most important.
It's not that he is wrong (preferences are personal), it's just that I think that other medias will satisfy him more than this one.
Imagine someone asking "which is the better book, IT or the shining?" and someone answering "IT has a more dark and abstract cover, but the one in the shining is better drawn and has an interesting use of colours". I would without any doubt tell this person: you're not wrong in your preferences, but you may be happier if you stop reading books and start to go into museum galleries.

Sorry, but I'm still baffled. I really think what the chap said was a relevant and acceptable comparison. Videogames also have aesthetics.

Top Bottom