• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

e5uJTzv.jpg

Just incase anyone is wondering (like I was), the infamous black screen during Tropical Freeze is just that. I'd thought it would be a blank screen with a logo or something but it is literally nothing. Just a heads up.

matthwq

Banned
Ugh, it's all rainy and crappy in Pittsburgh. Hoping to go into the game store and get a copy without a pre-order (although, honestly, I've kind of stopped pre-ordering this past year and have been fine with every release I've wanted, so whatever).

I'M VERY EXCITED. DKC 4 EVER.

DirtyLarry

Went out and picked up a WiiU last night (my second, sold my first initially) just for this game, only to find that even though I know 100% I deleted the user and NNID association with my last WiiU, when I try and enter it on this WiiU, I am told I cannot as the Network ID can only be one on console. I just missed being able to call support, so I am waiting another hour to call.

I was actually going to pay the extra $10 last night to get the digital version as well, but no way now, going to get a physical copy (also in an hour).

They really make it difficult, and I really do hope they let me use it on this new WiiU as no way I am going to change that NNID, I have $46 on it through the 3DS. I could have been playing right now if I started the download last night which I would have.

javac

I'm at uni. Hopefully my game is at home when I get back. Wagging it's tail as I enter the house. Jumping all over me as it slobbers all over and licks my face. That's what games do right?

Aww yeah!! Amazon came through and it looks like I may have my copy today after all. Regular shipping too! But I will not get my hopes up to much...

DSmalls84

Can you use the Wii U Pro Controller for single player? I was thinking of picking one up because I'm getting tired of the gamepads awful battery life.

canonj

I actually didn't mind the waggle in DKCR when using the Nunchuk + Remote, so I'm not sure if I'll stick with that for Tropical Freeze or use the Pro controller.

Can you use the Wii U Pro Controller for single player? I was thinking of picking one up because I'm getting tired of the gamepads awful battery life.

Yep, that's probably the best controller to use for this game, in my opinion at least. Wii remote + Nunchuck is probably an alright controller to use as well, although not as good as the Pro.

Tevious

Really sucks that the Classic Controller Pro doesn't work with this game. I hated the motion controls in DKCR, so I'm not using the Wiimote, and the gamepad feels awkward because of how big it is. I don't want to have to buy a Wii U Pro Controller.

Jeez this game looks absolutely beautiful, I knew it would look good but I had no idea.

IIt's sad that a lot of people will let their reservation due to perceived similarity to the Wii game stop them from experiencing this, in motion it's clearly a generation past DKCR.

I've been on a media blackout for quite some time and have yet to see the game in motion. Reading all of these posts lets me know that I am in for quite the treat!

It will be waiting for me in my mailbox when I get home from work next Tuesday. I can't wait.

I hope everyone has a great weekend with the game. Cheers!

Deku Tree

Really sucks that the Classic Controller Pro doesn't work with this game. I hated the motion controls in DKCR, so I'm not using the Wiimote, and the gamepad feels awkward because of how big it is. I don't want to have to buy a Wii U Pro Controller.

The game pad is not that Bad IMO. I never had a problem with it myself.

Robin64

Seeing the game running at 60fps after having only seen YouTube videos was pretty amazing. I'd hate to play this at the same framerate as YouTube, especially those minecart levels. Retro did good on this front.

Zing

Banned
Amazon showing my copy set to arrive next friday. That's ridiculous. I hate to give them my money, but saving $10 is worth the effort to buy at a local store, and do a return when the Amazon copy arrives.

busted bayou music is flawless, haven't heard video game music that good since i was small. absolutely stunning, that sax!
On world 3 now but it's easily my favourite on wiiU so far. Gaf might have been tearing the graphics apart but it looks great to me.

Jeez this game looks absolutely beautiful, I knew it would look good but I had no idea.

IIt's sad that a lot of people will let their reservation due to perceived similarity to the Wii game stop them from experiencing this, in motion it's clearly a generation past DKCR.

Agreed. Those visuals with the fluent transitions at 60fps... Amazing.
Together with 3D World it's easily the best looking game on the platform.

The videos never did it justice.

daydream

Banned
Somehow beat World 4 boss on my first try. That was intense. *phew*

That world had some amazing levels. 4-2 is a ridiculously good mine cart stage.

LoveCake

My copy should be at home waiting for to get in from work.

Hope this has been worth the wait.

I did see a video review where the reviewer said that Dixie Kong was the best partner to use throughout the game, what is everyone's experience so far ?

Litri

Don't know if I should pick this one up. I haven't finished 3D World and never played DKCR.

Those who played it already... are the levels as creative as the ones in 3D World?

My copy should be at home waiting for to get in from work.

Hope this has been worth the wait.

I did see a video review where the reviewer said that Dixie Kong was the best partner to use throughout the game, what is everyone's experience so far ?

I've heard that each Kong is like an added difficulty.

Dixie Kong's flying ability is easy since she goes up.
Diddy Kong's rocket booster ability is medium since you float for a while.
Cranky Kong's pogo ability is hard since you fall, you fall. Don't be cranky.

NotLiquid

I just beat the first level, and I am simply enamored.

The game is just pleasant. I don't know how else to describe it; the rich environments, the colors, the music, it's beautiful. It's everything I could have hoped for and more.

I can tell this has all the chance in the world to become the definitive Wii U platformer, and one of the finest in this generation.

javac

Ok so I haven't played DKCR in a while but I want to ask anyone who has Tropical Freeze, if I play multiplayer and die a bunch of times does it penalise you? Should I create a separate save data (if its possible) for multiplayer shenanigans or am I okay with having one all encompassing save file?

Mario with its stars it gives you on the save data has conditioned me to try and keep as clean a record as possible.

Gartooth

Going to have to wait until Saturday before I can go buy a copy, but my anticipation is building. This looks to be the game where Retro will truly realize their revival of DKC.
Still needs more Kong's, Animal Buddies, and Kremlings. ;)

Top Bottom