• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Yes, you can switch to d-pad controls, though you need to enter the menu to do so and then the analog stick becomes unused completely. Odd, but I'll take it. Just feels easier to play for me this way.

Thanks I'll try that tomorrow. Totally makes sense to only allow one or the other :end sarcasm:

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Have fun, whippersnappers! See you guys on Monday

sinnergy

My early analysis on the game... HD Nintendo was worth the wait... Game is F N gorgeous. Gameplay is on point and I love not having time limits. I can take my time and enjoy the beauty of each level. OK Retro studios I like this as your first WiiU title but you got to bring it that much more on the next one. I am ready.

Yes A DKC game with the wow visuals of RARE, more mature, showcasing what the WiiU can do with graphics.

Because that's also what DKC stood for.

It could have looked even more gorgeous with more mature textures like prime one, space station etc..

Or let Retro go wild with their own IP and create something original.

Kurtofan

Cranky is for pros, the game rocks.

Do getting all the Kong letters still unlock a secret level per world? I found some secret levels but I don't see a temple like in DKCR.

Cranky is for pros, the game rocks.

Do getting all the Kong letters still unlock a secret level per world? I found some secret levels but I don't see a temple like in DKCR.

Collecting all KONG letters in a world, including letters found in the A and B levels will unlock a K Temple level.

Helloween

This game is SO fun! I've unlocked all the stages in world 1 but having trouble getting the 'N' on the minecart stage. Any tips on when to jump for it?

Played 2 levels, going to stop there for tonight. Wow, is this game ever gorgeous. So much attention to detail, and the music... lord have mercy. Quite a contrast to Mario 3D World where I was slightly underwhelmed in the early going. I took so much time exploring 1-1 and 1-2 and I still missed a puzzle piece on each.

Robin64

So far (I'm only up to 3-2, but got tired so went bed to not ruin this glorious game), every level has made me sit back and go "Oh wow.." in some way. Amazing game.

Holy Dongs! I just checked my Newegg shipping status and my game is in the next town over. I'll probably have it by Saturday but it's possible that I'll have it tomorrow! Cheapness redeemed... maybe!
I'm getting it Monday :/

So how fucking perfect is it that my city has the worst snowstorm of the winter (Minnesota too, so it's not a 1-2 inch Atlantageddon) and completely ices my car in place on the exact day that Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze comes out?

God damn it. Hopefully I can get it unstuck this afternoon and go pick up my game at Best Buy.

EDIT: At least I have time to beat DKCR now...AW YEAH

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I managed to overcome the desire to download at midnight, because of the price difference between eshop and download code from Game. So I bought the code this morning and let it download as I left for work. I can't wait to go back home and play this.

kcxiv

feels like the 3 guys you switch from make the game from easy/normal/hard modes. Using Cranky can be a pain in the ass sometimes.lol

-Setsuna-

DKTF is pretty much perfect thus far. The only complaint that I had (the lack of difficulty) vanished with the second boss. After NSMBU, Rayman, SM3DW and Sonic LW, it feels good to finally have real, intricate boss fights.

I managed to overcome the desire to download at midnight, because of the price difference between eshop and download code from Game. So I bought the code this morning and let it download as I left for work. I can't wait to go back home and play this.

Same here, can't wait.

Risgroo

Just finished the game, GOTY candidate for sure!
According to the activity log it took me 9 hours(including some idling), without going for KONG or puzzle pieces.

DKTF is pretty much perfect thus far. The only complaint that I had (the lack of difficulty) vanished with the second boss. After NSMBU, Rayman, SM3DW and Sonic LW, it feels good to finally have real, intricate boss fights.

Hmm..To be honest, I think that this is the toughest battle in the whole game..:)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
www-gettyimages-com-detail-84869046.jpg

CaVaYeRo

I'd really like to see reviewers adopting the same approach with this one as with Dark Souls "frustrating" aspects.

Not that DSII won't get it's fair rate, but it's just funny how people react to difficult, demanding games nowadays. So many wanting DK to even control and feel like Mario, which would break this very personal gameplay style :(

EDIT: Now game's out, I'm eager to check / use those online features!

QUmhwTL.jpg

It came! The mirror never lies.

EDIT: Delivery stats - Pre-ordered through amazon.co.uk. Arrived at my flat sometime early in the morning. I reside in Manchester.

Robin64

Assassin's Creed - 16 games in 6 years
Call of Duty - 20 games in 10 years
Donkey Kong Country - 6 games in 20 years

And yet I keep seeing the dumb complaint that there are too many DKC games. Seriously? Even reviewers have deducted several points for this stupid reason. It's baffling, I don't get it.

TriGen

I'm planning on grabbing this later today. The only thing that has me worried is that northern MI is rearing its ugly head again with this brutal weather. Hopefully I don't get boned by mother nature.

daydream

Banned
And yet I keep seeing the dumb complaint that there are too many DKC games. Seriously? Even reviewers have deducted several points for this stupid reason. It's baffling, I don't get it.

Eh, who cares about the reviewers. The "too many X games" in the context of Nintendo is such an old, tired argument. I'm more annoyed by players who aren't willing to give this chance just because it's not some hypothetical Metroid game. Completely baffling to me.

I'm on the document now, btw (NNID: windjamming). I'll add you all later, feel free to add me back!

Robin64

I'm more annoyed by players who aren't willing to give this chance just because it's not some hypothetical Metroid game. Completely baffling to me.

That one's anoying too. I love Metroid, I mean really love it, but I'm not going to miss out on an amazing platformer just because I didn't get a new Metroid right away.

I won't be getting this until March 7th since my GF is planning on getting this for my birthday – never have I been so emotionally conflicted over a birthday present. I could just get it now. Must. Resist.

On the other hand, I don't know when the next big Wii U title will drop, so I guess I can wait? *sob*
Have fun guys, see you in a couple of weeks!

Deku Tree

I won't be getting this until March 7th since my GF is planning on getting this for my birthday – never have I been so emotionally conflicted over a birthday present. I could just get it now. Must. Resist.

On the other hand, I don't know when the next big Wii U title will drop, so I guess I can wait? *sob*
Have fun guys, see you in a couple of weeks!

If she really loves you, she'll give you an early birthday present.

Top Bottom