• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Hindl

WiiU Pro controller and copy of the game in backseat of the car.

Hitting up wawa then I'm set for the afternoon

edit:right on^

YES. God I miss it so much being in college.

OT the second I get out of work I'm going straight to Best Buy by the train and grabbing this. I checked yesterday to see if maybe they stocked it early but no luck...

I am ready to add DKTF to this pile.

ZT1wOiGl.jpg

My pile is significantly smaller, ha ha. But I can now add TF to it nonetheless.

The difficulty spike comes in on World 5, i've had a few nasty checkpoints with some kong letter placement that invites death as well as a suspicious lack of Kong barrels at times (5-4 was kind of dickish). Upon hearing of the world settings for this game I was pretty disappointed that 4 and 5 sounded as if they were retreading old visual ground and while the cove is kinda boring at points the juicy jungle looks really vibrant and makes good use of working its visual fruit and factory setting into the actual stages as parts of its design in a way that comes across as organic and not say abstract like jelly in the air because reasons like in Jungle Beat's sweet paradise.

Snapped this last night. Feel like it's a candidate to go along frysquint.gif

http://i.imgur.com/okCl32Sl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I might need to avatar this guy at some point, truly the greatest of DK series bosses.
Speaking of which five bosses down and they've all been enjoyable, what sort of witchcraft is this? they absolutely smoke Returns rather weak efforts on this front.

[quote="Kurtofan, post: 101718497"]Anyone can help with boss world 4? [SPOILER]In the third phase what am I supposed to do?[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]

I can't remember all the phases off the top of my head, I can only really recall the same ways to strike the boss still applying throughout the entire battle, [spoiler] knocking the fish enemies into him or spin attacking the weak spine free point on its back[/spoiler]. Perhaps I'm just forgetting something here.

daydream

Banned
Upon hearing of the world settings for this game I was pretty disappointed that 4 and 5 sounded as if they were retreading old visual ground and while the cove is kinda boring at points the juicy jungle looks really vibrant and makes good use of working its visual fruit and factory setting into the actual stages as parts of its design in a way that comes across as organic and not say abstract like jelly in the air because reasons like in Jungle Beat's sweet paradise.

I didn't know what worlds to expect, but I too was a bit disappointed when world 5 opened up for me. But man, leave it to Retro to make a jungle world interesting again. Fantastic visual theme (and very healthy to boot!).

Dantis

Halfway through world 2 so far, and completely loving it. Finally feels like a Donkey Kong Country. It's weird how wrong they got the first game, compared to this. Completely wonderful.

By far the best Wii U game there is, in my opinion.

MBR

Banned
I thought "what the hell, why not" and bought a download code from game.co.uk 15 mins ago, still no code, only a confirmation email.

Has anyone else ordered this as a download from Game? Did it take long for the code to arrive?

Lunar15

Halfway through world 2 so far, and completely loving it. Finally feels like a Donkey Kong Country. It's weird how wrong they got the first game, compared to this. Completely wonderful.

By far the best Wii U game there is, in my opinion.

I'm really confused by this. Do you just mean the music?

Really sucks that the Classic Controller Pro doesn't work with this game. I hated the motion controls in DKCR, so I'm not using the Wiimote, and the gamepad feels awkward because of how big it is. I don't want to have to buy a Wii U Pro Controller.
I thought the motion controls were removed for Tropical Freeze?

I thought "what the hell, why not" and bought a download code from game.co.uk 15 mins ago, still no code, only a confirmation email.

Has anyone else ordered this as a download from Game? Did it take long for the code to arrive?

I've ordered download codes from Game in the past and they normally redirect straight to the code on the website after purchasing.
Least that's how I remember then doing it with 3DS games

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Really sucks that the Classic Controller Pro doesn't work with this game. I hated the motion controls in DKCR, so I'm not using the Wiimote, and the gamepad feels awkward because of how big it is. I don't want to have to buy a Wii U Pro Controller.

Edit: Nevermind, I got confused with Wii U Pro controller. Phew! All is well!

Morts

I failed my goal of finishing Metro: Last Light before this comes out (and I haven't even touched Remember Me, stupid valuable PlayStation Plus). Nevertheless, I think I'm picking this up after work.

I was tempted to go digital, but 11 GB seems crazy and I'm in no hurry to buy an external drive.

VanWinkle

Guys, I'm going to buy this game the second I get off work. I haven't walked back to the electronics section to make sure it's here, but I'm sure it is. If not I'll just stop at GameStop.

You have multiple control schemes to choose from, e.g. you can use the Gamepad or Wiimote+Nunchuk. It also supports the Wii U Pro Controller.
Er, right, but that doesn't answer my question of whether the Wiimote+nunchuk has motion controls. Is it still shake to roll and stuff like that?

MBR

Banned
I've ordered download codes from Game in the past and they normally redirect straight to the code on the website after purchasing.
Least that's how I remember then doing it with 3DS games
That's what I thought I remembered too, but eh, maybe I used an account instead of checking out as "guest " last time.

Half an hour now, please don't ruin my sick afternoon/evening, GAME.

Got the game today and played for an hour. it looks great but it sounds FANTASTIC!! The music is really outstanding.
and the levels are so long and full of secrets! cant wait to play more this evening and over the weekend. :)

but one thins is bothering me..does anybody else got the problem with the very quiet "voices" and sound effects from the enemies? when I start an level I cant hear donkey kong but the music is just fine and in cutscenes the sound effects work just fine. :/

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Got the game today and played for an hour. it looks great but it sounds FANTASTIC!! The music is really outstanding.
and the levels are so long and full of secrets! cant wait to play more this evening and over the weekend. :)

but one thins is bothering me..does anybody else got the problem with the very quiet "voices" and sound effects from the enemies? when I start an level I cant hear donkey kong but the music is just fine and in cutscenes the sound effects work just fine. :/

Isn't it better like this? You can better hear the wonderful soundtrack and not be bothered by annoying monkey sounds every time DK and friends jump.

Isn't it better like this? You can better hear the wonderful soundtrack and not be bothered by annoying monkey sounds every time DK and friends jump.

As much as i love the music but when you dont have any really sound effects than it feels more like watching an video.

scitek

So, the negative reviews are basically, "It's a great game, but is that really enough?"

I'll be picking this up later tonight. It's the first game in a while I'll be buying at full price.

Deku Tree

My phone conversation with Gamestop just now.

Me: Do you have my pre-ordered copy of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze?

GS: No that comes out Tuesday of next week.
Me: No it comes out today.
GS: No it comes out Tuesday...

Xav

Once again game journalists have made a fool out of themselves by making Tropical Freeze sound like just another 2D platformer.

I've put just over 3 hours so far and I'm on World 4. It's pretty much the Mario Galaxy/3D World of 2D platformers and makes other 2D platformers like Rayman Legends (which I loved) look average by comparison.

If you have any sort of interest in platform games and have an eye for quality level design then you'll love Tropical Freeze.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

This is why if possible, I avoid EB/GameStop at all costs.

grrrrr why am i so cheap, currently gonna plan on buying this from amazon warehouse for $10-$20 cheaper but i want to play it now

why do so many games come out next month :p

my L for the day

emb

I ran into that a lot with the Sunday releases Nintendo used to do. I think GS employees just assume everything comes out on Tuesday because most things do. Tell him to check the system, usually their computer has correct info in it, but they just think they know what they're talking about.

mindsale

Show him the text from your pre-order. Gamestop usually sends me one the night before.

Top Bottom