• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Shit. I meant to queue up the download before I left for work but forgot.

Kinda torn between digital and physical though just 'cause I worry that my Wii U might die. In all cases but Nintendo I prefer digital.
But if it's as scarce as people are reporting, I may swing by Fry's on the way home and let fate decide.

Was playing some DKR3D last night. Really looking forward to a buttery frame rate.

Isn't there like 15 Gamestops in a 10 mile radius of everyone's home? Not to mention Frys, Targets, Wal-Marts, or whatever big chains are in your area?

Physical always!!

Conezays

How're you guys liking it so far? I've just played a few levels in the first world but seems great so far. Controls were a little "off" to me at first, not sure if I just need time to adapt (specifically, Crank's double jump on spikes). Still working fine though. Too early to say how it compares to DKCR, but personally I prefer these games over the past couple Mario titles (Mario U, Mario 3D World). Your mileage may vary.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Hm, thanks! If that's the case I may want to pick up a pro controller.

The Pro Controller is fantastic. Well worth it. It has also become my standard PC controller now

Strider

Gah I love the music in Busted Bayou so much...

I was planning on beating World 1 before I had to leave to go out of town but these levels are pretty long. May not get to finish it.

69wpm

Great, my gf is away for the weekend and the game didn't arrive. Guess I'll be playing Monday. I'll ignore this thread until next week :/ So jealous of you guys right now.

I find the gamepad really uncomfortable to play with. Will be Wiimote+Nunchuck for me.
Hmmm... is there an option to use the Wiimote and Nunchuck controller in this game WITHOUT waggle to roll? I love the W&N (is that an acceptable abbrev.?!), and I too am cheaping out by not buying a Pro Controller, but I'll be having precisely zero waggle in this version of Expand Dong Country.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
This game has the best "final world" in a platform of the last 15 years. Fucking lava in every Mario, gtfo.

Yea I groan everytime the fire/volcano is represented as a final world. Even DKCR suffered from this, glad to know its changed.

This game has the best "final world" in a platform of the last 15 years. Fucking lava in every Mario, gtfo.

I just finished as far as steaming straight to the final boss and not yet going back for secrets/alternative stages and was heading in here primarily to gush about World 6.
World 6 is DKCR Factory tier of quality, great music, some intense levels with fantastic set pieces, neat visual callbacks to DKCR and on the whole it expands Dong like nothing else.

I'm not surprised some reviewers docked TF for difficulty, some stages here really test your abilities like crossing large chasms requiring mastery of the timed enemy bouncing as well as following DKC logic in the most hectic of situations (which is to say banana trails are your friends and serve as advance warnings in some cases indicating where you should jump to not die). On top of this tough checkpoints will sometimes just not give you DKC barrels so no Kong based crutches for every piece of platforming here.
And to think there's still more stages in this world I've yet to play as well as the rest of the game.

Guys I really want to play this. I haven't really played a game this year, not for more than 30min. Feeling so uninterested in everything.

But I want to play this.

Problem? I don't have a Wii U and I really shouldn't spend the money on one.

It hurts.

If only it didn't have Homecoming Hinjinx as the music for three levels. Frankly I was a bit disappointed by the last world (mostly because of that and the lack of difficulty) and thought DKCR did it better, even if lava was involved.
Not a problem for me, it's the best track in the game and those remixes are fantastic, I generally disliked the last world in Returns for the music and a pair of levels.

Seik

Banned
I won't be getting it today it seems, I just checked the tracking on the shipment and it's due for February 25th.

*Sigh* At least it's coming. :)

atbigelow

Oh thanks, site where you Go for Nintendo, for spoiling parts of the game on your fucking front page. Finally taking that site out of my rotation.

Son Of D

I'm torn as to how I should buy this. Digital is £32.99 on Game's website and the cheapest I've seen a physical copy is £31.85. Can't see myself wanting to trade it in either.

Copy came in today. At work though so I won't be able to play it till later tonight.

Dunno why Amazon's been forcing me to re-confirm 2-day prime for release date shipping lately. Happened with this game and ToS:C's CE.

Greenzxy

Dong is expanding!!!

image.php

Spiderduff

Downloaded at 9pm last night. Was ready to play at about 11:45. Played a few levels for about an hour and am loving it. Cannot wait to put some time into it this weekend.

Ok GAF, digital or analog stick? Tried both and the digital swimming sucks...

Well I'm playing with the D-Pad myself. I hate playing 2D platformers with joysticks.

I didn't think swimming with the D-Pad was so bad.
At least, it was no worse than swimming in any other game, D-Pad or otherwise. Seriously, does ANYONE actually LIKE freaking water levels?

Hm. When I started it up I immediately found something I didn't like: the little-to-no audio effects surrounding DK. I don't hear that awesome noise from jumping on enemies in DKCR; I can't hear Donkey ground-pound.

What in the world happened? It's making DK less satisfying to play as.

Kadin

So guys, how would you say it compares to DKCR so far? Is it miles beyond that or would you say it's just a decent bump up from there? I was really hyped for DKCR and I have to say, I was pretty let down. Don't want that to happen once again.

Zing

Banned
Hm. When I started it up I immediately found something I didn't like: the little-to-no audio effects surrounding DK. I don't hear that awesome noise from jumping on enemies in DKCR; I can't hear Donkey ground-pound.

Is this true for everyone? It sounds to me like you have the surround sound settings enabled, which can cause a loss of center channel sound effects in some setups.

zoukka

Your settings or speakers are funky.

naib

Isn't there like 15 Gamestops in a 10 mile radius of everyone's home? Not to mention Frys, Targets, Wal-Marts, or whatever big chains are in your area?

Physical always!!

Usually Fry's has plenty on day 1 and it's conveniently located for me.
We'll see.

But I do like the convenience of digital. Steam's ruined me.

This isn't the case for me at all, all the sounds are super loud.

Also, I'm loving the no time limit, I like to just take in the graphics every now and again :)

Just wanted to give some first impressions. I got this game this morning (US) and played through the first island. First off, the game is an absolute audiovisual feast. The art direction, the music, the animations, 60fps... It simply is something to behold. Some really neat level design so far, and I know it's only going to pick up. Levels are long, beautiful, and fun to explore. I beat the boss without dying, but I probably died 20 times on the K level.

I was one of the crazy ones who loved the motion controls for the Wii version, but I wanted to give the gamepad a try. I played for three levels and had to switch back to the Wiimote and nunchuck. To me it felt like there was a slight imput lag when using the gamepad, and I could just not get comfortable... DK felt a bit sluggish. I immediately felt right at home when I made the switch. I still think DK has a bit more weight to him in this game, but the "rhythm" of the controls is basically the same using the Wiimote and nunchuck as it was in DKCR. I actually never noticed that the "bop" sound I loved so much in DKCR was actually coming out of the Wiimote. When I was playing TF with the Gamepad, I was crushed that they removed the sound, but when I heard it come out of the Wiimote speaker I was absolutely delighted! I really like the feel of Dixie and especially Cranky, and I am going to try to use them all throughout the course of the game.

Load times/screens are a minor annoyance but overall I think they have been exaggerated. Other than the K level and 100%ing the mine cart level, the game hasn't posed much challenge yet, but I'm sure that will change, even if it never reaches DKCR's difficulty level (I have no doubt hard mode will DESTROY us all haha). I spent a lot of time simply taking in the audio and visuals. For example, I would swim for minutes in the water to hear those lovely themes, or jump back and fourth from vines to watch how gracefully DK moves. I also enjoyed looking at the unlockable goodies. All in all my playtime is at 2.5 hours after only the first world! I will surely beat the game in two or three days, but I love taking my time when I am playing to soak everything in. Well, that's it for now, I'll be back with more impressions after clearing the next island. Happy platforming everyone!

Top Bottom