• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Hm. When I started it up I immediately found something I didn't like: the little-to-no audio effects surrounding DK. I don't hear that awesome noise from jumping on enemies in DKCR; I can't hear Donkey ground-pound.

What in the world happened? It's making DK less satisfying to play as.

You have to play with the Wiimote to get that sound. But then you gotta put up with waggle to roll. Sophie's choice, as it were.

Thanks, guys. I had my audio send to surround. I have it on stereo now, and it's much better. DK has more heft.

I'm going through Tropical Freeze the same way I went through DKCR: Get all the puzzle pieces/KONG letters that I can find, then go back for the rest.

Robin64

You have to play with the Wiimote to get that sound. But then you gotta put up with waggle to roll. Sophie's choice, as it were.

What? I hear all the sounds from my set perfectly. The nice THUD as you land on an enemy, the noise of pounding, it's all there. Nothing missing.

Edit: There we go, he had it on Surround instead of Stereo. I wager you are the same. :p

dwuuuu

Banned
Just wanted to give some first impressions. I got this game this morning (US) and played through the first island. First off, the game is an absolute audiovisual feast. The art direction, the music, the animations, 60fps... It simply is something to behold. Some really neat level design so far, and I know it's only going to pick up. Levels are long, beautiful, and fun to explore. I beat the boss without dying, but I probably died 20 times on the K level.

I was one of the crazy ones who loved the motion controls for the Wii version, but I wanted to give the gamepad a try. I played for three levels and had to switch back to the Wiimote and nunchuck. To me it felt like there was a slight imput lag when using the gamepad, and I could just not get comfortable... DK felt a bit sluggish. I immediately felt right at home when I made the switch. I still think DK has a bit more weight to him in this game, but the "rhythm" of the controls is basically the same using the Wiimote and nunchuck as it was in DKCR. I actually never noticed that the "bop" sound I loved so much in DKCR was actually coming out of the Wiimote. When I was playing TF with the Gamepad, I was crushed that they removed the sound, but when I heard it come out of the Wiimote speaker I was absolutely delighted! I really like the feel of Dixie and especially Cranky, and I am going to try to use them all throughout the course of the game.

Load times/screens are a minor annoyance but overall I think they have been exaggerated. Other than the K level and 100%ing the mine cart level, the game hasn't posed much challenge yet, but I'm sure that will change, even if it never reaches DKCR's difficulty level (I have no doubt hard mode will DESTROY us all haha). I spent a lot of time simply taking in the audio and visuals. For example, I would swim for minutes in the water to hear those lovely themes, or jump back and fourth from vines to watch how gracefully DK moves. I also enjoyed looking at the unlockable goodies. All in all my playtime is at 2.5 hours after only the first world! I will surely beat the game in two or three days, but I love taking my time when I am playing to soak everything in. Well, that's it for now, I'll be back with more impressions after clearing the next island. Happy platforming everyone!

Yeah, I find remote + nunchuck the way to go

Rootbeer

Banned
Oohhh wait I forgot this worked with the pro controller since it doesn't use the gamepad screen...

You mean I finally have a good reason to use the one I bought at launch? WOW!

I might go pick this game up today

Ah, you actually have to turn on the volume of your Gamepad to hear the noise. Don't let the black screen of uselessness fool you, that little "bop" sound effect is crucial.

Am I the only one who likes the motion controls in this game (when you play with the Wiimote)?

I liked them in the original DKR on Wii as well. They make me feel (there's no way to say this without in sounding stupid) like a heavy kong actually banging the ground.

I've never found sensitivity to be a problem either, although that may be because I don't use the roll that much. Jumping on enemies is better IMO.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
New pile (also included a few Wii games)

8FBZI0Ql.jpg
Hmm, that's almost my exact collection right there.

Swap Ninja Gaiden 3 with Sonic Lost World while adding ZombiU and CoD-Blops (only purchase mistake I've made on the system thus far).

It's a good system.

Kureransu

Thanks, guys. I had my audio send to surround. I have it on stereo now, and it's much better. DK has more heft.

I'm going through Tropical Freeze the same way I went through DKCR: Get all the puzzle pieces/KONG letters that I can find, then go back for the rest.

I was actually going to tell you if your surround sound doesn't support LPCM, then your front channel speakers won't work. If you have it set to surround in a lot of games. I found that out in arkham city, where voices were all but muffled when talking to bruce/batman from being in front of him.

I've since upgraded and it's interesting the way nintendo places the sounds in their games. 3d world for example.

ChuckNyce

I'll be streaming this for the next hour or so if anyone wants to come laugh as I die repeatedly :)

http://www.twitch.tv/chucknyce

Yeck, thanks to all who came in to watch the stream, know it was rough going with all the deaths especially. Somehow or another I got into my head that the roll button also served as the run button and that had me screwing all kinds of things up. Once I wrapped my head around the buttons a bit more it was a little smoother. Oh, and I'll just be another to heap mounds of praise on this game's soundtrack - it's absolutely beautiful. Level 3-1 just made my day.

kunonabi

Am I the only one who likes the motion controls in this game (when you play with the Wiimote)?

I liked them in the original DKR on Wii as well. They make me feel (there's no way to say this without in sounding stupid) like a heavy kong actually banging the ground.

I've never found sensitivity to be a problem either, although that may be because I don't use the roll that much. Jumping on enemies is better IMO.

yeah, i enjoy them as I tend to prefer wiimote/nunchuk for most games and good supplemental motion controls are always welcome.

Kureransu

Swap Ninja Gaiden 3 with Sonic Lost World while adding ZombiU and CoD-Blops (only purchase mistake I've made on the system thus far).

It's a good system.

i agree. as for me:

Swap Ninja Gaiden for AC3 then add ZombiU, Rayman, Sonic, Arkham City, and take away Luigi U

Robin64

Not bad young grass hopper. So how are the leaderbords working online? Can you also have ghost on time trial?

The leaderboards are slick. The download to view others are pretty swift which is pretty cool as it means we can watch other GAFfers play.

Sadly there are no ghosts in the level as you play.

Dorygrant

Yeck, thanks to all who came in to watch the stream, know it was rough going with all the deaths especially. Somehow or another I got into my head that the roll button also served as the run button and that had me screwing all kinds of things up. Once I wrapped my head around the buttons a bit more it was a little smoother. Oh, and I'll just be another to heap mounds of praise on this game's soundtrack - it's absolutely beautiful. Level 3-1 just made my day.

Awesome stream, man!

Deku Tree

It's a good system.

Yup, great system. I have been meaning to pick up ZombiU and Sonic LW too. Not enough time...

Zing

Banned

I prefer the motion controls over just using a button. I also preferred this in NSMB. It is frustrating that they moved it to the run button in Super Mario 3D World.

Conezays

So guys, how would you say it compares to DKCR so far? Is it miles beyond that or would you say it's just a decent bump up from there? I was really hyped for DKCR and I have to say, I was pretty let down. Don't want that to happen once again.

...does not compute. But honestly, if you weren't a fan of DKCR I don't see this game magically meeting your expectations.

m0t0k1

The leaderboards are slick. The download to view others are pretty swift which is pretty cool as it means we can watch other GAFfers play.

Sadly there are no ghosts in the level as you play.

Yeah leaderbords with replay sounds really cool. Too bad there arent any ghosts. Will get this game next month then. Still need to complete mario 3d world before starting this.

No, you're not.

The motion controls worked very well.

In fact, when I play this new game(probably later today), it's going to be weird not using them(going to play on the Gamepad my first time around, love Off Tv play).

I'll probably use them in other playthroughs though.

I liked the blowing mechanic and nothing is more satisfying than groundpounding with the Remote and nunchuk.

(rolling worked just fine for me, had basically no problems)

Ok, so where is that doc so I can add some peeps with time trials to attempt to beat?

Loving this leaderboard and replay thing, very cool to see where I went horribly horribly wrong :)

New pile (also included a few Wii games)

8FBZI0Ql.jpg

For the Wii U side replacing MH3U with Sonic: Lost World and that's basically my collection.

Like the Wii/GCN I basically buy Nintendo consoles for the exclusives. They tend to pay for the system over its lifespan. That and I've never had a Nintendo console break like my X360/PS3 did.

EDIT: Also, does this game do anything special Miiverse-wise like SMW3D or am I alright playing with the Pro controller?

traveler

Not Wario
Just finished a job interview; time to kick back and enjoy DK. This is, no joke, my most anticipated title of the year. (Pending any crazy announcements later in the year) I've held off watching footage and listening to the soundtrack (aside from Grassland Groove and Amiss Abyss) so I'm ready to be surprised. Let's see if Retro can top their previous work, aka the best 2d platformer of all time.

Hey guys, no spoilers of what they are but are there post game content like:

New islands, maybe 7 or 8? Kind of like SMB3DWorld or Land?

Six islands seem short since the first had eight. So just wondering.

maxcriden

Sup animal buddies!

I had a terrible morning, especially considering I took the day off to enjoy DK to its fullest. BUT! The clouds are parting and we got to play some Tropical Freeze. 2-2 kicked my butt big time, I am terrible at Rambi levels. The game is awesomely fun so far and I can tell it's just going to get more amazing. Hope y'all are digging it as well.

Just finished a job interview; time to kick back and enjoy DK. This is, no joke, my most anticipated title of the year. (Pending any crazy announcements later in the year) I've held off watching footage and listening to the soundtrack (aside from Grassland Groove and Amiss Abyss) so I'm ready to be surprised. Let's see if Retro can top their previous work, aka the best 2d platformer of all time.

Hope you got the job and that it requires just the right amount of travel for a traveler such as yourself!

Hey guys, no spoilers of what they are but are there post game content like:

New islands, maybe 7 or 8? Kind of like SMB3DWorld or Land?

Six islands seem short since the first had eight. So just wondering.

From what I understand:

there is one final world with three levels. I know it's not a ton, but, the levels themselves in this game are very long so far. So there's that.

Yeah they did it.

Co-op is incredibly useful and fun, especially on most of the bonus levels when it becomes a time saver.

I agree with everyone here about the music. On the windmill levels now.

To those who are far into the game, although this game has less worlds, do the longer levels make it similar in content and length to the first one?
Sup animal buddies!

I had a terrible morning, especially considering I took the day off to enjoy DK to its fullest. BUT! The clouds are parting and we got to play some Tropical Freeze. 2-2 kicked my butt big time, I am terrible at Rambi levels. The game is awesomely fun so far and I can tell it's just going to get more amazing. Hope y'all are digging it as well.

Hope you got the job and that it requires just the right amount of travel for a traveler such as yourself!

From what I understand:

there is one final world with three levels. I know it's not a ton, but, the levels themselves in this game are very long so far. So there's that.
Okay, thanks.

maxcriden

To those who are far into the game, although this game has less worlds, do the longer levels make it similar in content and length to the first one?

Okay, thanks.

NP! FWIW, have you completed DKCR 200%? These games are just completely packed with content, even if there are slightly fewer levels in this one. (Plus the game is $10 cheaper than 3DW...my impression is that part of the reasoning behind the lower price is the slightly lower level count.)

Neiteio

NP! FWIW, have you completed DKCR 200%? These games are just completely packed with content, even if there are slightly fewer levels in this one. (Plus the game is $10 cheaper than 3DW...my impression is that part of the reasoning behind the lower price is the slightly lower level count.)
3D World didn't sell very well, so perhaps that's the reason why DKC is cheaper.

Top Bottom