• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

ohlawd

ok I'm not really that far in but BUSTED BAYOU HOLY CRAP THIS MUSIC IS AMAZING

This sounds like something out of TWEWY.

Robin64

For those of us without I hope you guys start posting some high-res screenshots from Miiverse onto the next-gen screenshot thread ;)

Miiverse? Pft. That's so low res! It's all about using the internet browser to upload gorgeous shots to abload.de

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01daugp.jpg

maxcriden

Also, how do I get to the level at the top of the map in world 1?

If it's a K level, you need to collect all of the KONG letters in W1 to unlock it.

No, I don't recall seeing that. That's very interesting. Perhaps Nintendo figures 2D platformers don't command a "full" price anymore, sort of like Sony figured with Puppeteer (although that game sold for $40 -- even cheaper).

They specifically shouted you out in one of their answers! (well, your hopes for the third DKCR game.) ;)

Regarding the price issue---I think it's part of the flexible pricing they've mentioned and started doing recently. I would hope to see some 3DS games go for lower prices as well.

I'll give both a try. I've only played through the first level but I was pretty disoriented while using the GamePad and I play a ton of platformers.

I had the same experience and it turns out it was all about the analog control. I switched to digital and am totally cool with using the GamePad now. :)

Busaiku

Oh man, the K levels sure are something...
Took me like 30 minutes to just finish 1-K, and I'm missing 2 puzzle pieces.

I only managed to find all the puzzle pieces in a single stage, that being the cart stage.
Dunno why I can't find at least the last one in every other so far.

Never played DK before but this game is amazing. I'm a bit jaded by Mario these days so 3d world did not have the impact it should have but this game is amazing apart from the load screen juddering.

Its even a joy to watch time attack replays the levels are that gorgeous.

Really looking forward to MK8 even more now. Those online Time attack replays will hopefully be as beautiful to watch as DKC:TF replays.

Balb

I had the same experience and it turns out it was all about the analog control. I switched to digital and am totally cool with using the GamePad now. :)

HOLY CRAP. The controls are much better. Not only does it feel better with the d-pad, the mapped button layout improved too. I was wondering why I had to press a shoulder button to pick up items and stuff.

Robin64

HOLY CRAP. The controls are much better. Not only does it feel better with the d-pad, the mapped button layout improved too. I was wondering why I had to press a shoulder button to pick up items and stuff.

Yeah, absolutely. I cannot stress enough how much better the d-pad controls are.

Reknoc

Beat the first world, so good. Level 1-3 spoiler:
dat secret omg just there soaking in the music

Looking at the control schemes when given the choice between stick or d-pad (which is itself a terrible idea) it looked like the d-pad option is also a full setup? That was dumb as hell in 3D why has a separate developer, if I'm right, decided to make the same bad decision.

Balb

The load times are very un-Nintendo like. Even the load screens are choppy (at least on disc). I know it's a minor complaint but it's very strange, especially for a game like this.

The loading times feel ever-so-slightly longer than they should (kind of similar to Portal 2), but the length doesn't really bother me.

Seriously though, what's with the choppiness/stuttering? I know it shouldn't matter but it really bothers me. How hard would it have been to pre-render the loading animation?

What happens when you run out of lives in this game?

Where does it let you continue from?

If you die a lot, is it easily to get more lives?

Oidisco

I've grown too used to Mario Platformers, to the point where every other platformer just seems strange but after playing Busted Bayou everything just started to click!

That stage is mah jam!

Neiteio

I think if you use Kong-Pow with Diddy, it turns all of the enemies into 1-Up balloons.

Alternatively, you can buy balloons in Funky's shop. Do Kong-Pow with Cranky to get lots of Banana Coins.

I'd imagine running out of lives simply sets you back at the start of the level, so that you only lose your checkpoint within that level.

I haven't played Tropical Freeze yet but if it's anything like Returns, you'll be handed extra lives like a kid receives candy on Halloween. In that game, banana coins were everywhere, which you could spend on dozens of lives at the shop. I never came even remotely close to seeing a Game Over screen during that game.

maxcriden

Thanks, that got it!

Edit: WHAT THE HELL. 1-K is so damn hard!

NP! Now you see why I'm saving the bonus levels for the post-game. :)

Did you play DKCR's K levels? 1-K was a pretty darn hard level!

Glad I could help. I love the GamePad d-pad controls. The placement of the d-pad is just excellent.

Beating up all those owls in the second world, I couldn't help think of a certain user, and it warmed my heart

Ha! I was just thinking the same thing (at 2-Boss now). He should really change his avatar to one of those owls, maybe one of the stone ones in the background.

That first rhino level of World 2 was brutal to me. I died a lot. –_____–

Me too, Dax...me too! That one was ridiculously hard for me.

Neiteio

Not enjoying mechanic/controls at all. Distracts from everything else which is masterful
The mechanics/controls are like the best part! :-O But they do take some acclimation. I'd practice in the first level. Remember, if you roll off a ledge and jump mid-air, you can go even farther, and if you have a buddy with you, you can roll indefinitely, steamrolling most enemies. :-O Also note that if you press and hold the jump button before landing on an enemy, you'll bounce twice as high off of them.

I think if you use Kong-Pow with Diddy, it turns all of the enemies into 1-Up balloons.

Alternatively, you can buy balloons in Funky's shop. Do Kong-Pow with Cranky to get lots of Banana Coins.

I'd imagine running out of lives simply sets you back at the start of the level, so that you only lose your checkpoint within that level.

Ahhhh sounds good!

I just don't want the game to be too punishing. Especially since it is supposed to be hard. I want to play it with kids too and their gaming skills aren't too strong.

Neiteio

No I know all that, thanks. Everything feels slow, heavier than past games and the button layout is absurd.
Heavier than the past games? You must be referring to the Rare trilogy, right? Because otherwise it should be the same as Returns. (I have my copy of Tropical Freeze, arrived today from Amazon, but haven't started playing it... Not sure I want to go through the hassle of setting up my WiiU when I might be bringing it to a friend's b-day party tomorrow night)

Top Bottom