• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Neiteio

Miiverse? Pft. That's so low res! It's all about using the internet browser to upload gorgeous shots to abload.de

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01daugp.jpg

Yay, got in the first level before work lol

wiiu_screenshot_tv_017kd18.jpg
Gorgeous screenshots.

rawktapus

Ahhhh sounds good!

I just don't want the game to be too punishing. Especially since it is supposed to be hard. I want to play it with kids too and their gaming skills aren't too strong.

One nice thing about the co-op is that the sidekick characters can ride on DK's back at any time, so if something gets to hard for your kiddos' they can just hop up and let you take care of the tougher challenges.

Neiteio

It feels different than returns, which I beat on both Wii and 3ds.

I am at end of world two. Onward I go
Interesting. I beat Returns on both Wii and 3DS, as well. I'll be interested to see if they made DK heavier in Tropical Freeze.

ViewtifulJC or Xtortionist, are you guys reading this? My go-to guys for game impressions. Have they made DK "heavier?"

flattie

Loving the swimming areas. They got the controls and animation absolutely perfect; I spent a good amount of time just messing around in the first pool and it felt very similar to when you first get to control Ecco the Dolphin in the Megadrive games (and the DC one, come to think of it).

On a related note, these wonderful screenshots that have started to arrive only tell a little bit of the story. This game shines in motion; Retro have really impressed with the animation work. Astounding stuff.

For my money, this is far and away the best looking Wii U game yet.

Neiteio

flattie said:
On a related note, these wonderful screenshots that have started to arrive only tell a little bit of the story. This game shines in motion; Retro have really impressed with the animation work. Astounding stuff.

I can believe it. Even in stills, the game looks gorgeous. Every structure is intricately detailed and mechanically coherent in its construction. You can really see the "nuts and bolts" of how the whole world fits together. In the screens I quoted a few posts up, I love the strung-up chairs of the crashed airplane, and the stylized shingles of the windmill.

Interesting. I beat Returns on both Wii and 3DS, as well. I'll be interested to see if they made DK heavier in Tropical Freeze.

ViewtifulJC or Xtortionist, are you guys reading this? My go-to guys for game impressions. Have they made DK "heavier?"

Honestly, maybe its a placebo effect, but I do feel he's a bit "heavier' than I remember. Maybe I haven't played DKCR in awhile and I'm comparing him to DKC2 which I played recently, but perhaps his dong has extended to feature length proportions. You get used to it, though.

Neiteio

Honestly, maybe its a placebo effect, but I do feel he's a bit "heavier' than I remember. Maybe I haven't played DKCR in awhile and I'm comparing him to DKC2 which I played recently, but perhaps his dong has extended to feature length proportions. You get used to it, though.
Huh, this honestly has me intrigued. Maybe I should just say "screw it" to the hassle of unpacking and packing the WiiU for tomorrow and just start playing now so I can see what they've done to DK's handling. He was perfect in Returns... Hope they didn't screw around with the formula too much...

MBR

Banned
Okay, almost through World 2, and I can't say much more than "Sorry for doubting you, Retro", I guess. One issue:

Minor complaint: The controls are more sluggish than they need to. Especially rolling feels like going back to Castlevania 1 with the "Oh, you jumped but want to turn mid air? Too fucking bad", and DK takes a bit too long to come to a stop and turn around, even when simply walking.

I'll get used to it, but it is annoying.

Oh and holy damn at the Rambi level, does that part pretty much require frame perfect input or what?

Neiteio

Okay, almost through World 2, and I can't say much more than "Sorry for doubting you, Retro", I guess. One issue:

Minor complaint: The controls are more sluggish than they need to. Especially rolling feels like going back to Castlevania 1 with the "Oh, you jumped but want to turn mid air? Too fucking bad", and DK takes a bit too long to come to a stop and turn around, even when simply walking.

I'll get used to it, but it is annoying.
These sound like my initial impressions of Returns, which went on to have perfect controls in my eyes. The fact that people who played Returns are also perceiving a control difference makes me a bit concerned. I think I may start this game tonight, even though it's a pain to plug in the WiiU (need to clear out space behind the entertainment center)...

Loving the swimming areas. They got the controls and animation absolutely perfect; I spent a good amount of time just messing around in the first pool and it felt very similar to when you first get to control Ecco the Dolphin in the Megadrive games (and the DC one, come to think of it).

It's not only the best looking Wii U game, it's the best WiiU game yet.
I'm at the third bossfight (not today, 36 hours without sleep...ouch), World 3 is outstanding, the music is just great...the level design omg!
And: It's not as frustrating as Returns. I love this game, I would buy a WiiU for this game but I already own it.

Kinsei

Banned
I played through the first two levels and had a huge stupid grin on the whole time. The under water controls are so smooth and fluid that I can't wait to reach the fourth island.

My initial impressions so far is that this game has a very high chance of surpassing Returns.

Keyouta

Damn, I want to play this game with a Wii U Pro controller but I don't have one. Not really feeling a need to buy one either, not until Smash at least. Does the screen really serve no function?

Jagsrock

Banned
Sooo goood. Just finished world 2. Everything is so smooth and and the level design is top notch.I'm also kinda surprised by how much I like the new enemies so much better then the tiki's. This game deserves all the praise it gets, platforming gold.

Busaiku

Same. It just felt wrong having to press a button to pound. Never thought I'd say it, but I much prefer the waggle.

I seriously wish we could've waggled in Super Mario 3D World.
Would've made it so much better.

Definitely my favorite little thing from the Wii games.

Marjar

Banned
I gotta say, I think I understand why that one review was complaining about lack of checkpoints during bosses. Each sequence takes a really absurd amount of time for a platformer boss, and they just end up being really boring and repetitive because of that. To be fair, I thought the first game had the same problem.

Game is great so far despite that.

Jagsrock

Banned
I gotta say, I think I understand why that one review was complaining about lack of checkpoints during bosses. Each sequence takes a really absurd amount of time for a platformer boss, and they just end up being really boring and repetitive because of that. To be fair, I thought the first game had the same problem.

Game is great so far despite that.

I feel like no check point makes it more rewarding and also raises the stakes a bit.

VanWinkle

Came home from work!

iGvKlFARRoMmD.png

Bonus picture of my [modest] collection. Keep in mind 95% of my gaming has been done on Playstation consoles the past 6 years, so there's hardly any multiplatform titles. Also, I do have SM3DW, but I had to VERY reluctantly buy it digitally when I couldn't find it ANYWHERE about a month and a half ago.

iv9uJO1MH3gdT.png

Edit: Oh yeah, I also have Wario Land Shake It and Metroid Prime 3 for Wii, but they don't have boxes. :(

Mlatador

Banned
Woohoow, I got it!! ^__^ v

It's so awsome!! I fuckin' looove it! Hnnnnnggg!!

Just finished the First Island, got all Kong Letters and did the
Secret Temple
. Jesus, that shit was INTENSE, haha! Really had to give my best, but boy, does it feel good! :D Didn't find all the puzzle pieces, though (which I will focus on tomorrow), and in the
Secret Temple
I didn't even bother, because just getting through was definitely enough for today. Anyway, thanks based Retro for making such an awesome game!!

Here are some further impressions (btw, I still prefer the Nunchuck/Wiimote settup :p)

Beautiful graphics: everything is so crisp, smooth (dat 60 fps) and there seems no allaising at all. Youtube videos and internet footage in general don't show how damn good this game looks in person and how fuckign smooth it is!
The backgrounds are amazing (especially what I've seen from world 2-1, windmill hills, where I stopped). There is so much detail everywhere, everything is so colorful and lively - just beautiful! The ship texture/viking ship background in 1-2... was the first that impressed me in that regard :) Same with the 3D backgrounds. No wonder the game's disc size is so huge.

Gameplay/Controls/Difficulty/Leveldesign:

Yes, the gameplay is still as challenging & interesting and super fun as in Returns, with the same "weight" to it that made it so awesome and satisfying.

And LOL at any reviewer calling the controls "unresponsive". What a load of bull! :) Safely can I say - as a Wiimote & Nunchuck player at least - it initially felt almost too responsive! I took me a while to get used to the increased shake/stomp/shake to roll sensitivity. Retro increased that quite a bit, so even very light waggle movements will make your character perform a ground pound or roll. To be honest, in the beginning I prefered the lesser sensitvity from Returns, but after getting used to it I actually like it a lot now.

The difficulty is still there! So far, I'd say it's on par with Returns'. But come on, did people really doubt that? The game features CRANKY - no wonder the super guide had to go! :p A game starring the boss-ape himself has to be beaten by nobody but the players alone! Having some sort of super guide in it would have been a downright insult to the old ape.

The Leveldesign is as awesome as I remember it from Returns. No cheap ways to blindlessly jump through the levels like t's sometimes the case in the NSMB series. If you think you can do that, the game will fuck you up, but If you choose to absorb every levels certain "rythm", pay attention to the details, small hints here and there, and actually think before you act/jump, you'll be rewarded with amazingly smart enemy placement, lots of variety, surprising changes of pace - or simply: fresh, challenging & very creative, intelligent leveldesign.

And the Music?: It's GAAATLIKE!! Just amazing! It's the icing on the cake, really. In fact, probably the best icing on a cake you can have! Tropical Freeze really deserves such awesome music, and likewise, such awesome music deserves Tropical Freeze. I mean, David Wise and Donkey Kong Country back togehter - IT'S BEAUTFUL!! ;_;

Cranky Kong & Dixi Kong: I've always liked Dixi as soon as I've played her in DKC2. It's just cool to have her (and her awesome blond hair) back. I love how she even ground-pounds with her hair, lol.
And Cranky? He's teh fucking ape! He kicks ass underwater and on land with his pogo-stick, which is suuper fun to use! Reminds me a lot of Ducktales. Nice way by Retro to pay homage to another legendary platformer :3
I also like how you need both of them and their special abilities for certain secrets.

Some random thoughts:

• Swimming/diving is lots of fun and feels good. Jumping through the surface particularily. I like how the music changes when you're underwater.
  • Like I've said: the controls (at least in the case of Wiimote & Nunchuck) are even more responsive that in Returns.
  • Dat "Dooonkey Koooong" when I first put the disc in just brought a huge smile to my face (did they hire those lovely female voices extra for that?)
  • The levels seem longer!
  • I love the vikings! I think they are "cool" enemies! :p

All in all, I'm super happy how it turned out! Retro's artistry/gameplay/amazing level design and David Wise' music...

tumblr_mw3s8oH6cF1s4d5myo1_500.gif

Yes, a combination made in heaven! THANKS SO MUCH BASED RETRO, you did it again!

ChuckNyce

Came home from work!

iGvKlFARRoMmD.png

Bonus picture of my [modest] collection. Keep in mind 95% of my gaming has been done on Playstation consoles the past 6 years, so there's hardly any multiplatform titles. Also, I do have SM3DW, but I had to VERY reluctantly buy it digitally when I couldn't find it ANYWHERE about a month and a half ago.

iv9uJO1MH3gdT.png

thumbs-up.gif

Rocky

Banned
Anyone else pick up their copy at Nintendo World in NYC today? I was surprised to find they were giving away big red DK ties with purchase of the game lol.

Marjar

Banned
if I don't nail the world 2 boss in two lives, I'm gonna take a break >_>

Yeah that's who I'm having trouble with, and my primary example for why I'm beginning to think the bosses should have had checkpoints.

Each sequence just takes way too long and he ends up being a really tedious boss fight.

Top Bottom