• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Burnburn

Finally in the top 30 for 1-1. Also a reminder that we have a GAF NNID spreadsheet for time trials.

Quote to reveal

Added myself :)

World 1 is solid, but I thought it was a bit too familiar. Almost completed world 2 and it's way better than the first one. I just love some of the backgrounds and it felt like the "thoughts they still had left" are starting to come in play here. I also think the game is beautifull.

Robin64

Wait, US Wii U spines are really white? I had thought someone had made custom cases when I first saw them. Weird!

My little (UK) collection:

AdnZ32V.jpg

Neiteio

Just beat 2-K after like 30 tries. This is probably the greatest 2D platformer of all time.
Oh man.

*stares at WiiU conveniently packed up in tub for friend's b-day tomorrow... then stares at shrink-wrapped DKC... then stares at crowded entertainment center... then stares back at the tub*

ohlawd

Yeah that's who I'm having trouble with, and my primary example for why I'm beginning to think the bosses should have had checkpoints.

Each sequence just takes way too long and he ends up being a really tedious boss fight.

Don't give up. It's a long fight but after 10-12 tries I figured it out and beat him without losing one heart. It's easy when you know his attack patterns
I just beat him, didn't lose any hearts :)

yeah sometimes I wish for checkpoints too but I'm kinda glad they're not there. this fuck had me on the edge of my seat. don't want that feeling to go away.

Marjar

Banned
Welp beat the owl.

He's not that hard, but my god I just hate bosses where you constantly have to wait for a chance to attack.

Time for World 3!

VanWinkle

Wait, US Wii U spines are really white? I had thought someone had made custom cases when I first saw them. Weird!

My little (UK) collection:

AdnZ32V.jpg

Yeah, but I love the look of the Wii and Wii U spines in the US. Got the nice real logo for the game on a minimalist white background. Makes a collection look so uniform and yet varied. Of course, it's not really that different on the UK ones, but you know.

Nice [not little!] collection! I assume Wii U is your primary console?

Apdiddy

It pleases me endlessly to hear that pound is mapped a button and there is very little waggling. Which is why I liked DKC:Returns on 3DS (but hated the loading times for it and the graphics mostly).

Speaking of which....how are the loading times for DKC: TF?

noomi

So how hard is the difficulty in this one compared to DKCR for the wii?

I found that DKCR was very hard, but also very fun. I got through all of it, except the last boss fight where I said fuck it and gave up after youtubing the ending lol.

Haunted

Roll is still fixed distance, so I'm already miffed.

I also can't believe they haven't put a demo for this on the eshop. This is your one big WiiU game for the first quarter Nintendo, fucking show it off properly. ;_;

So frustrating.

I just beat him, didn't lose any hearts :)

yeah sometimes I wish for checkpoints too but I'm kinda glad they're not there. this fuck had me on the edge of my seat. don't want that feeling to go away.

Hehe bravo :D

Edit: Yeah I also think this game is much easier than Returns. Still challenging though

Omg please watch the the replay video from the leader board champion of the first level. Insane...woah.
So far it looks like he's the leader board champion of every level I've been to haha

On another note, I had no problem with Returns shake to roll but playing on the Pro controller without it is absolutely awesome. I personally don't feel that DK moves with noticeably more heft than before and I have no problem controlling him, I'm a quick study physically in general.

I'm really really liking these replays! I usually don't do time trial stuff, but with the inclusion of racing people on your friends list I've already started going through the levels again trying to do it better than the last time.

Haunted

Does Smash Bros. even have fur shaders? I assumed it didn't and that was probably one reason it's able to be 1080p as opposed to this game.
I mean, I just say "fur shaders", I don't even actually know what kind of tech they're using. But the fur here looks much better than what Smash Bros does. :p

VanWinkle

Disappointed to hear some complaints about the load times. I am used to Nintendo's games for the most part always having really short load times.

I mean, I just say "fur shaders", I don't even actually know what kind of tech they're using. But the fur here looks much better than what Smash Bros does. :p

Yeah, for sure.

dwuuuu

Banned
So far it looks like he's the leader board champion of every level I've been to haha

On another note, I had no problem with Returns shake to roll but playing on the Pro controller without it is absolutely awesome. I personally don't feel that DK moves with noticeably more heft than before and I have no problem controlling him, I'm a quick study physically in general.

I'm really really liking these replays! I usually don't do time trial stuff, but with the inclusion of racing people on your friends list I've already started going through the levels again trying to do it better than the last time.

That sounds really cool !

Is there a Rayman Legends type of country ghosting ???

Nester

Finally done with work! My car has been stuck in snow all day, so I had to work from home. The game has been sitting there on my hard drive taunting me all day, so finally we can play. Out of the Urban Freeze and into the Tropical Freeze!

I'll be streaming Co-op for the rest of the night if anyone would like to check it out and is still on the fence!

http://www.twitch.tv/n_squared

psychotron

Played two levels so far and have been smiling the whole time. Love the graphics and music. Donkey Kong isn't as twitch responsive as Mario so that's taking some getting used to.

dwuuuu

Banned
Finally done with work! My car has been stuck in snow all day, so I had to work from home. The game has been sitting there on my hard drive taunting me all day, so finally we can play. Out of the Urban Freeze and into the Tropical Freeze!

I'll be streaming Co-op for the rest of the night if anyone would like to check it out and is still on the fence!

http://www.twitch.tv/n_squared

Sounds amazing -the music is soaring !

It's only fixed distance if you are playing as a single Kong. Once you have either of the other Kongs on your back, you're able to roll continuously (just like in DKC:Returns).

This doesn't seem to be the case for me actually. Dunno if I am doing something wrong though.

Haunted

It's only fixed distance if you are playing as a single Kong. Once you have either of the other Kongs on your back, you're able to roll continuously (just like in DKC:Returns).
I actually meant it the other way around, I miss being able to roll on the spot or very short distances like in the original DKCs.

maxcriden

Honestly, maybe its a placebo effect, but I do feel he's a bit "heavier' than I remember. Maybe I haven't played DKCR in awhile and I'm comparing him to DKC2 which I played recently, but perhaps his dong has extended to feature length proportions. You get used to it, though.

Huh, this honestly has me intrigued. Maybe I should just say "screw it" to the hassle of unpacking and packing the WiiU for tomorrow and just start playing now so I can see what they've done to DK's handling. He was perfect in Returns... Hope they didn't screw around with the formula too much...

My impression is that there is a very slight difference to his heft...but it's very slight, to the point where it might just be my imagination (I've been playing DKCR 3D a lot more, and a lot more recently than DKCR Wii). His heft is definitely present, but it doesn't feel like a hindrance in any way.

Oidisco

I can't seem to get the hang of the way DK moves in this game, it's pretty frustrating. I know it's not the games fault ofcourse, but some levels are really starting annoy me. Seems Busted Bayou is the only one that didn't cause any problems for me for some reason.

Also the load times aren't a huge deal, but the way they stutter looks really weird, especially for a Nintendo game.

Only gotten through the start menu and opening cutscenes but...

DAT MUSIC!

Hope Nintendo makes the OST an option on Club Nintendo.

Oh who am I kidding. We will get stickers instead.

VanWinkle

I haven't seen about 90% of this game. I'm so excited. I haven't really watched any trailers and have probably seen parts of 3 or 4 levels, so it will all be new to me. Haven't really listened to any of the music, either.

You have to keep tapping the roll button. Kind of annoying but it works.

Thanks...odd though. The only other thing I don't love is that if you are running, you won't automatically pick up a barrel or flipped enemy. Can't remember how it was in Returns.

But this game....this music. Can't say enough good things.

MrBadger

Two worlds in now (gave up after the second boss killed me twice) and having just as much fun as I thought I would. Don't think I've played another 2D platformer where every individual level has so much personality, except maybe the classic half of Sonic Generations. The great soundtrack is even more enjoyable while playing, too. I was a little disoriented when I started playing and didn't have to hold a button to run, though. I often find myself holding down Y out of impulse.

dkeane

Halfway through downloading it. Going pretty fast. Friday releases are awesome!
Got some good beer and ready to play. WOOOOOO!

Hindl

Oh my god, Busted Bayou is just the proving ground for both Wise and Retro. Wise's soundtrack for that level is godly, and goddamn was that level gorgeous. I loved the whole
silhouette jungle look, and there were so many awesome details, the the ships sailing in the background

Unsure if I should spoiler that but better safe then sorry. But yeah, 1 world in and purchase justified

Oh my god, Busted Bayou is just the proving ground for both Wise and Retro. Wise's soundtrack for that level is godly, and goddamn was that level gorgeous. I loved the whole
silhouette jungle look, and there were so many awesome details, the the ships sailing in the background

Unsure if I should spoiler that but better safe then sorry. But yeah, 1 world in and purchase justified

Don't forget
the crashed Samus ship
in the background

Top Bottom