• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Came home from work!

iGvKlFARRoMmD.png

Bonus picture of my [modest] collection. Keep in mind 95% of my gaming has been done on Playstation consoles the past 6 years, so there's hardly any multiplatform titles. Also, I do have SM3DW, but I had to VERY reluctantly buy it digitally when I couldn't find it ANYWHERE about a month and a half ago.

iv9uJO1MH3gdT.png

Edit: Oh yeah, I also have Wario Land Shake It and Metroid Prime 3 for Wii, but they don't have boxes. :(

Where dat Wonderful 101 at, fella?

The intro video was amazing. Felt like i was watching a high quality DK movie. It really sets the mood that youre on a big adventure.

The game feels more of the same, but pretty much everythings better. The more i play, the better it gets.

The load times are acceptable, with some being long, like when you boot up the game. Pro controller is a nice addition, no more waggle!

Flying through a level, with crankys hop, is the best. Everything controls great, and it doesnt feel cheap, if you die. You just have to think on your toes.

The graphics are nice. The fur looks awesome, haha. The clouds on the second boss look CG. Best ive seen in a game.

Anyone who liked the previous, its a definite buy.

Another Nintendo HD gem.

holy fuck that windmill stage

Anyone else just swim around in the first level when
the first notes of Aquatic Ambience came up
? Felt soooooooo good.

MrBadger

I'm not going to lie, I really feel like Scrooge's cane hop on Ducktales Remastered is a lot more fun to use than Cranky's. I really want to just hold the button down.

Finished World 2, love everything. The music is amazing as expected but every song blows me away. Loved the music in 1-b(
silhouette level
). Sawmill Thrill was amazing to see unfold and is indeed extremely thrilling. They really captured the feel of the minecart levels of DKC but made them nicer to look at(they had a boring look in DKC).
Also, I didn't feel like the second boss was all that hard, I died twice but his patterns weren't that difficult. I wish he sped it up a little to make it more challenging and so I could attack sooner.

Minor complaints:
- The bonus levels are bad. Not challenging at all and extremely repetitive, I never feel like playing them. Hope they get better but I don't think they will.
- For now I feel like the coins aren't worth the effort. There's nothing I want to buy at Funky's shop, maybe Squawks in the future, everything else feels like easy mode items. I'm wasting all my coins buying "trophies".
- I hate having Cranky as a secondary, I'm not feeling the bounce. Dixie is so much better than either Diddy or Cranky, and I like her best anyway.

Can't wait to play more tomorrow, World 3 looks awesome.

Only played the first five stages so far but OMG is this an amazing game!

DKC Returns is my favorite game of all time. I absolutely adore it but I could easily see this taking the crown away from it.

Dixie and Cranky are so fun to play with, god I can't wait to play more in a bit.

Tehalemi

So to my surprise, my little bro got this today. Played two player and had a blast as expected.

Then came time to get some Gamepad only play in with headphones...I should have known better, because not 30 seconds in I'm swimming for 5+ minutes listening to some ambiance by David frakkin' Wise!

Guys, it's not normal to have feels before you even progress in the first level. ;__;

lol

This is the best 2D platformer I've played since the SNES glory days. Seriously.

I liked DKCR a lot, but it still disappointed me after not igniting anywhere near the level of love I have for the original trilogy. Tropical Freeze though executes on Retro's original vision that they laid out in Returns and ups the ante in just about every conceivable way (sans bonus rooms), for a project that makes me stand back and marvel at how brilliant the human mind can be sometimes.

From the beautiful music intertwining with the dynamism in the levels, to the obscene levels of detail and polish in every stage, down to the perfect balance of player agency vs. difficult (but always fair) design. This game is the real friggin' deal.

I 100%'d the first world, and am about halfway through world 2. Playtime is about four hours so far, and I'm now letting my younger sisters (ages 6 and 7) take a crack at their own file. After about their tenth death on level one, I asked if they wanted me to help.

"No!," the littlest one said. "If you beat it for us, how are we going to get any better?"

Never have I been more proud :D

Wait, US Wii U spines are really white? I had thought someone had made custom cases when I first saw them. Weird!

My little (UK) collection:

AdnZ32V.jpg
Yeah, they're white spines. Those box colors look so much nicer.
Came home from work!

iGvKlFARRoMmD.png

Bonus picture of my [modest] collection. Keep in mind 95% of my gaming has been done on Playstation consoles the past 6 years, so there's hardly any multiplatform titles. Also, I do have SM3DW, but I had to VERY reluctantly buy it digitally when I couldn't find it ANYWHERE about a month and a half ago.

iv9uJO1MH3gdT.png

Edit: Oh yeah, I also have Wario Land Shake It and Metroid Prime 3 for Wii, but they don't have boxes. :(
That's a lot of Wii U games!

Oh. Some of them are Wii games! Nevemind!

:p

(Looks like my collection! But I have a lot more Wii games!)

Pyrokai

I fully expect to be the only one having this problem...but I thought I'd ask...because I can't play like this if I can't figure out what's going on:

When I first started the game and watched the opening cinema, I couldn't hear any of the characters' voices. I thought that was a little strange, but I didn't think much of it. Then after playing a couple levels, I knew something was wrong. I could never hear any sounds coming from the characters. No DK "hrrmph" when he jumps, no Diddy jet pack sound....no sound from pounding the ground....nothing. It was like playing with mute characters (a very VERY faint noise comes from them but you can barely hear it). I turned the music volume down and kept the sound effects high....still didn't make a difference other than quiet music.

But...OCCASIONALLY I can hear their voices/sounds...and I noticed it was when they're on the far left or the far right of the screen, which only happens like 5% of the time. I thought maybe it was the sound bar to my TV, so I turned it off and played the sound through my TV--same problem. Mute characters. So it's not the sound bar.

Then I tried playing the game on the GamePad exclusively. That worked. I could hear them! It sounded just the way it was supposed to sound.

What in the world is going on here? I don't know what to do! I can't play the game like this. I checked the HDMI cords...everything is fine. Is anyone else experiencing this????

Also, I have not had this problem with any other game on my Wii U or any game system I have.

I just want to gush about level 1-B. Holy shit. That music was amazing. That whole level. So much fun. Great details. Great everything.

Gods I can't contain it. This is so much fun.

Just finished up the second island 100%. Some absolutely great levels. You guys weren't joking about
Sawmill Thrill
... That is a step above God tier right there. And there were a few other levels that weren't far behind, like in
Horn Top Hop when the air is floating you up the inside of the giant horn
, or in
Crumble Cavern when the barrels are spiraling around the stalactites
. And that's just to name a few! Of course the
temple
level was brutal in the best way. I know everyone is praising the music, which is absolutely deserved, but I want to give a shout out to the once again sublime sound effects... Scott Petersen an company did a fantastic job once again.

One thing though, for those of you who don't want to waste an hour for nothing like I did:
There is no secret exit in 2-2. That's where the temple is.

Phloxy

I fully expect to be the only one having this problem...but I thought I'd ask...because I can't play like this if I can't figure out what's going on:

When I first started the game and watched the opening cinema, I couldn't hear any of the characters' voices. I thought that was a little strange, but I didn't think much of it. Then after playing a couple levels, I knew something was wrong. I could never hear any sounds coming from the characters. No DK "hrrmph" when he jumps, no Diddy jet pack sound....no sound from pounding the ground....nothing. It was like playing with mute characters (a very VERY faint noise comes from them but you can barely hear it). I turned the music volume down and kept the sound effects high....still didn't make a difference other than quiet music.

But...OCCASIONALLY I can hear their voices/sounds...and I noticed it was when they're on the far left or the far right of the screen, which only happens like 5% of the time. I thought maybe it was the sound bar to my TV, so I turned it off and played the sound through my TV--same problem. Mute characters. So it's not the sound bar.

Then I tried playing the game on the GamePad exclusively. That worked. I could hear them! It sounded just the way it was supposed to sound.

What in the world is going on here? I don't know what to do! I can't play the game like this. I checked the HDMI cords...everything is fine. Is anyone else experiencing this????

Also, I have not had this problem with any other game on my Wii U or any game system I have.

Are you playing with an external usb?

mf luder

Have you tried changing it from surround to stereo?

gunstarhero

Never was a fan of this series - but decided to give it another shot with Tropical Freeze and glad I did.

I think I just hate the Kongs as characters - but that minor complaint aside, this game is pretty awesome.

WiiU really should be selling like crazy with the games they have been putting out lately - such a shame.

Pyrokai

Have you tried changing it from surround to stereo?

Nope, and I just did that! Gonna see if it worked. There were some sound channels I couldn't hear when it did the sound test. I bet this is it. I can't believe I've been playing games with missing sound and not realizing it if this is truly the case....reporting back in a minute!!

Edit: IT WORKED! Thanks for putting up with my obnoxious post. Now back to the glory!!! :D

Oidisco

One thing though, for those of you who don't want to waste an hour for nothing like I did:
There is no secret exit in 2-2. That's where the temple is.

Oh man, thank god I read this before going completely insane!

Also, I think I've finally gotten over my problem with this games physics/controls. I think the lack of a run button was really throwing me off, so switching to D-Pad controls really helped a lot.

I'll switch back to Analog for water levels though

Nope, and I just did that! Gonna see if it worked. There were some sound channels I couldn't hear when it did the sound test. I bet this is it. I can't believe I've been playing games with missing sound and not realizing it if this is truly the case....reporting back in a minute!!
It almost certainly will be the case.

FAKE EDIT: Yeah.

You know how the mountains start crumbling? I actually tricked the game to initiate the first mountain to start crumbling, waited long enough and then jumped on top of it, thinking there might be a hidden exit.

I tried that too along with a million other things haha. It's such a great level but now because of this I'll probably hate it forever :p.

Neiteio

I 100%'d the first world, and am about halfway through world 2. Playtime is about four hours so far, and I'm now letting my younger sisters (ages 6 and 7) take a crack at their own file. After about their tenth death on level one, I asked if they wanted me to help.

"No!," the littlest one said. "If you beat it for us, how are we going to get any better?"

BuCZZ1i.gif

This is the best 2D platformer I've played since the SNES glory days. Seriously.

I liked DKCR a lot, but it still disappointed me after not igniting anywhere near the level of love I have for the original trilogy. Tropical Freeze though executes on Retro's original vision that they laid out in Returns and ups the ante in just about every conceivable way (sans bonus rooms), for a project that makes me stand back and marvel at how brilliant the human mind can be sometimes.

From the beautiful music intertwining with the dynamism in the levels, to the obscene levels of detail and polish in every stage, down to the perfect balance of player agency vs. difficult (but always fair) design. This game is the real friggin' deal.

This is amazing.

ohlawd

MG, your sisters are wise beyond their age. Good mindset to have. I'd be proud, too.

--

4-2, man. This 3D level stuff is really great.

Yonafunu

Just for the people that don't know; you can change the button layout in the options menu (this is for Gamepad and Pro controller, I believe). You can switch movement control between analogue stick and d-pad, and you can switch the buttons for rolling/groundpound and grab between X/Y and ZR/ZL.

Busaiku

Really wish there was a replay level option. Hate getting a checkpoint, only to realize I missed something.
This wouldn't be as big a deal if the loading wasn't so terrible.

I had same problem and thought something was off! Played almost entire first world like that. Changing from surround to stereo fixed it for me too. I originally had my Wii U plugged directly into my receiver with HDMI but once I got my PS4 I had to connect it to my tv directly since I had no hdmi ports left.

psychotron

On the second island now and I'm blown away. This game oozes charm. The music is some of the best I've heard in years. The music during the first boss fight was awesome! Felt like Mega Man meets Metal Gear Rising. Games like this are what we need more of!

Yonafunu

So I just finished world 2 (not 100%). That owl beat my ass a couple of times, but it worked out in the end.
That said, this game could be only Wing Ding for 30 hours and I'd still buy it. Such a great level, it flows so smoothly. And that music.

Soul Beat

There's still hope for the new generation.
TVkXJYv.jpg

This is what it's all about. Man, I can't wait to get my own copy. But sadly it'll have to wait.

Our love is just not meant to be just yet, you amazing game.

That said, this game could be only Wing Ding for 30 hours and I'd still buy it. Such a great level, it flows so smoothly. And that music.

That was an awesome level for sure. There were a lot of them on island 2. I'm saving island 3 for tomorrow... I'll finally get to see what all the fuss about 3-1 is!

emb

Finally got it and played through the first world. Enjoying it so far.

+Pro controller is great, and this game feels great with it. I love not needing to shake anything, and I love that this game uses it well. Grab/run being separate from roll was a little off putting, but ultimately makes sense.
+Nice music
+Even the first few basic levels are fun
+Dixie and Cranky have enjoyable abilities
-Controls in water feel awful. I hear there's a world with several swimming stages, and I really dread it.
-Two hearts (each) in mine cart sections. The pressure in those (and rocket) stages made for some of my favorite parts of DKCR. Now it's kinda just whatever. Get hit three times, probably find a heart along the way. Meh. I might be thankful by the end though, we'll see.
-First boss was pretty boring, and went on too long for his patten to keep being interesting.
-Moving between stages on the map feel really sluggish, and the extra menu + confirmation check after choosing play seem a little excessive.

So is it better than Rayman Legends?

No, Legends felt much fresher despite the same engine and did way more to differentiate itself from Origins. The whole game structure in this title is identical to Returns and level designs (while remaining the quality of the predecessor) offer little to no new gameplay (The water stages are kinda lame, there's really no shakeup on par with let's say the espionage world from Legends, not to mention gamepad usage obviously - although I still gotta play the final world here).

So in Time Attack can anyone tell me if there is anything better than gold?

There was shiny gold in DKCR. So I suspect it's the same here.

naib

I was too lazy to stop on the way home. Almost done downloading.

Quick question about co-op.
Is the second player's role less demanding? When they die do they eat up balloons?
I ask because I have a 9 year old girl eager to play with me.

3D World was pretty forgiving for the first third of the game, but we didn't get too far cooperatively with Rayman..

Anyone playing this with kiddos in tow?

VanWinkle

No, Legends felt much fresher despite the same engine and did way more to differentiate itself from Origins. The whole game structure in this title is identical to Returns and level designs (while remaining the quality of the predecessor) offer little to no new gameplay (The water stages are kinda lame, there's really no shakeup on par with let's say the espionage world from Legends, not to mention gamepad usage obviously - although I still gotta play the final world here).

There was shiny gold in DKCR. So I suspect it's the same here.

Interesting. I liked Origins quite a bit than Returns (though I still LOVED Returns), and I'm not expecting to like this as much as Legends, but I'm going and assuming this will still be great!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
MetalGuardian's sisters are the future, we must capture and reprogram an EA marketing executive to guard and defend them until they are ready to lead the resistance.

I like the game pretty much so far. The music lives up to the hype (I avoided previews) and I'm very glad to see Time Attack mode is done correctly this time.

I'm not sold on Cranky tbh. His pogo doesn't feel sharp and springy enough, it feels as if I'm not going to make rebound jumps with it. But Dixie is a great movement schema, enough I am torn between using her and Diddy.

The amount of detail and animation in the stages is right off the charts to boot.

Top Bottom