• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Mookow

Was sort of platformed out on my WiiU but got this anyways to support the platform. I'm glad I did, I'm loving it. Very soothing music deceptively relaxes you before you botch the jump and die.

What a great game. Having a blast so far.

Can someone spoil me what you get for getting all the puzzle pieces? I plan on doing all the KONG letters, but if I remember for DKCR, there wasn't anything super special for the puzzle pieces.

Lijik

Gaf I've acquired the Donk and Ive cleared the first world (including the K level). Impressions:
eG6Hw5a.png

(Pictured: Tropical Freeze and some Fucking Donkey Kong game)

PROS:
CvTJvcW.jpg

nouYb8G.jpg

CONS:
xRsXfaA.png

If you've never played the original DKC games you might not know that Kremlins are fortified Russian complexes. The mere presence of these structures improved the mood and atmosphere by ten fold as Im sure the following screenshots demonstrate clearly:
14PWh7u.png

Great Game

What a great game. Having a blast so far.

Can someone spoil me what you get for getting all the puzzle pieces? I plan on doing all the KONG letters, but if I remember for DKCR, there wasn't anything super special for the puzzle pieces.

They count towards your overall completion percentage and unlocks artwork for your viewing pleasure.

CONS:
xRsXfaA.png

If you've never played the original DKC games you might not know that Kremlins are fortified Russian complexes. The mere presence of these structures improved the mood and atmosphere by ten fold as Im sure the following screenshots demonstrate clearly:
14PWh7u.png

Great Game

Amazing, I'm now Deader than JC on 5-K (which i've yet to play so this will come back to bite me)

Can't stop listening to Amiss Abyss, the mid point of the track gets me every time, EVERY TIME!

ohlawd

really sucks I haven't played a DKC game (1-3 on SNES) so I don't know which tracks are remixes or original.

DKR on N64 probably doesn't count.

brinstar

man the music in this is blowing my mind. I wasn't one of the people who disliked DKCR's ost but this is making it unlistenable to me now!

This game is something else. I can understand the criticism from those who have played Returns, but the charm and polished of the overall package is outstanding. Also the return of David Wyse is such a wonderful thing. Great game.

saska

ChaosXVI

Hmm...I've replayed 2-2 Mountain Mania like 10 times and still cannot find the secret exit to get to what I presume will be 2-A...Help?

matthwq

Banned
I swear to goard, this is the only (incredibly well made) platformer that I feel more comfortable using an analog stick. My platformer purist brain is malfunctioning.

If I haven't played Returns, should I go straight to this to be more impressed since the major criticism of TR seems to be that it retreads a lot of ideas from the previous game?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I swear to goard, this is the only (incredibly well made) platformer that I feel more comfortable using an analog stick. My platformer purist brain is malfunctioning.

Yup same. I don't get it. Maybe it's cause when you move an analog stick there's "effort" to it, you have to travel distance. And it mirrors the physical sensation of wrangling this heavy thumping ape. "GET over there!" as you smash the stick to the side, and he lurches into a powerful lumber.

Coda

I haven't played it yet but I'd assume this is because it's really smooth 3D animation so using analog control makes sense, like just pushing the stick to walk slower. I still like having the option for D-pad use which I hear you can switch between the two control methods.

Me too. Only thing I don't like is that using the stick means there's no run button, and my muscle memory demands a run button in my DKC games to the point that I am holding Y for no reason.

If you switch it to the D-pad, you get a dedicated run button, but at the expense of superior water controls with the stick. Wish you could switch on the fly like in Rayman.

Call me crazy but that first boss was better than any boss in DKCR for me.

Oidisco

I tried to use the analogue stick, but it just didn't mesh well with my brain and lead some incredibly frustrating moments. It made everything feel sluggish and un-responsive even though I knew the game wasn't like that. Now I'm going back through some levels using the D-Pad and it's so so much better!

I'll use the analog stick for Water stages though.

The analog stick was the only way I could play DKCR, and its the same thing here. DK kinda accelerates like 3D Mario, and it just seems natural.

And good luck using the d-pad on those water levels.

JoeFenix

Sorry if this has been answered before but does anyone know how to unlock hard mode?

I just beat the last boss and it still hasn't unlocked, do you need to beat every level and get all the relics?

robot

I can't believe I shrugged this game off at E3. All I remember seeing was waggle booths and it made me angry. God dammit I hate waggle. And this game has no waggle!

This game is legit. Exactly what I wanted after playing the original DKR.

Anyone know where the hidden exit is in the first minecart level? That bayou level is sweeeeeeet.

ohlawd

I just got an email saying I'm not getting my copy till Wednesday... oh well, time to finish Bravely Default.
I'm sorry to hear that.

I think you!ll be pleased to know TF blows BD out of the water. yadda yadda platformer and RPG, apples and oranges.

Retro's track record is like 5-0 now. Amazing dev. Don't even care their releases are years apart. Sooooo buying their next game whatever it is.

uberluigi

Banned
Omg the first k level was kicking my ass but finally beat it with just DK. Loving this game, amazing graphics, amazing music and the silky smooth frame rate!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
played the first three levels, and oh my god the graphics. The music. The platforming. Everything is phenomenally well crafted. The absence of time limit, as in every DKC game, is always a godsend because I love just standing there and admiring the scenery, listening to THE WISE GOD or just staring at the screen in awe. I'd damn buy a WiiU for this game if I hadn't already

I already want a DKCR3
alongside Metroid prime 4 pls

I'm sorry to hear that.

I think you!ll be pleased to know TF blows BD out of the water. yadda yadda platformer and RPG, apples and oranges.

Retro's track record is like 5-0 now. Amazing dev. Don't even care their releases are years apart. Sooooo buying their next game whatever it is.

I easily believe it as BD pretty much becomes shitty in Chapter 5 and 6, I also love good plataformers. I consider Returns to be the best 2D plataformer I have ever played and this one looks even better.

Oidisco

Anyone know where the hidden exit is in the first minecart level? That bayou level is sweeeeeeet.

There's no secret exit in that stage. To unlock the level above it on the map, you have to find every KONG letter in the 1st world.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe I shrugged this game off at E3. All I remember seeing was waggle booths and it made me angry. God dammit I hate waggle. And this game has no waggle!

This game is legit. Exactly what I wanted after playing the original DKR.

I'm pretty sure there isn't one at that level. The other hidden exit is at Shipwreck Shore. You have to swim downward past the current at the area with the three grasshoppers hopping on boxes staying afloat.

Seeing this and knowing Iwata himself ordered the development of the tech behind it, makes me believe we will see Link in some kind of new Winter Outfit this year. ^^

ibxQXmp0HsnKsy.jpg

Top Bottom