• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Linkyn

Got the game today and am having a blast with it so far. Searching for all the puzzle pieces and kong letters while drooling over everything that's going on on-screen and David Wise's godlike soundtrack is pure bliss. I'm just a little perplexed about the alleged difficulty of the game. So far, I've beaten worlds 1-3 with all the collectibles (I'm saving the speedruns for after I beat everything a first time) and the challenge was completely adequate as far as I'm concerned. Sure, there were some spots that took me 10-15 tries (most of the time because of a hard-to-reach puzzle piece), but unless the difficulty curves very steeply soon, I'd say it's pretty much on par with DKCR (which, to be fair, is harder than your average platformer), with the exception of the mine cart and rocket barrel stages, which are a little more forgiving because you don't die instantly anymore.

Edit: Please do not take it upon yourselves to educate me about the rest of the game.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So what do we think? Best fur in the history of video games? In motion it's hypnotizing.

Anything else come close?

K' Dash

Watching this game look So fucking beautiful, then grab the controler and realize the gameplay is perfect, the athmosphere, the music, the colors, the graphics, My God.

It is like I'm 10 years old again.

38848-The-Feels-gif-UHzu.gif

Exile20

Are people watching these replays from other people?

MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spent last hour just watching replays for world 1

I dunno if its just me trying to get used to the analog control but this game seems to be harder then the past ones. Loving it though, sucks I can't play again till Monday.

Oidisco

So, are we getting an Iwata Asks? I'll be very upset if we don't (though not as upset as I was for the lack of Pikmin 3 IA)

noobasuar

Banned
Just went out and bought the game and played about three or four levels.

Holy fuck this game is amazing. So much damn beauty in each level.

uberluigi

Banned
Only complaint I have is the bonus stages are almost all the same ( seen only three different stages so far ) was kinda hoping they brought back the bonus animal buddy stages from dkc1.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Here we have a game that deserves to sell 30 million copies. It's inevitable rejection by the current market is severely depressing to me. Everyone needs to play this masterpiece.

I grew up playing the original trilogy (first one came out when I was 8), and I am jealous of the kids who get to grow up playing this game.

The backgrounds really are something else with so many different layers and elements.

After seeing some of the stage intros and barrel shots, I'd love to see Retro make a 3d adventure/platformer. Really gorgeous stuff.

The boss designs have been fun so far, hope that continues. The game overall does seem a bit easier than Returns, though that game didn't get me cursing out loud until the latter stages, so there is time for this one to step up to that level.

Artorias

Banned
Here we have a game that deserves to sell 30 million copies. It's inevitable rejection by the current market is severely depressing to me. Everyone needs to play this masterpiece.

I grew up playing the original trilogy (first one came out when I was 8), and I am jealous of the kids who get to grow up playing this game.

Ehh, it will do poorly because of the console its on. Returns sold very well.

robot

I'm pretty sure there isn't one at that level. The other hidden exit is at Shipwreck Shore. You have to swim downward past the current at the area with the three grasshoppers hopping on boxes staying afloat.

I found 2 hidden levels and there looks to be one more. I think that downward stream area brought me to one, and then crankys jump past the exit of another level brought me to the bayou. Awesome remix music when you find that shortcut too. What a game.

Lumyst

Just got to world 3-3. Oh, and that boss of World 2? ;-) I'm sure some other people here understand what that wink entails. My God! It's such a beautiful and enchanting game, like a visit to DisneyWorld too! Or even like a Dreamworks movie with goofy animal characters at times! And it's challenging too, so it's aesthetically appealing to all ages but it's a genuine challenge! That young girl I saw picking up her copy, along with the 8 or so others who also had their copies ready for pickup at GameStop, they better brace themselves for that boss, because I tried and tried and tried until I finally got it! To the people at Retro, well done at containg yourselves! All that nonsensical complaining about "Wii looking graphics" or "why isn't it an epic AAA Western young male focused game"? Let me say that people should think in terms of how they will be entertained and challenged by a game more than about the resolution and stupid secondary things like that. Knowing how the game is now (it's absolutely gorgeous), If I worked on this game and had to read that crap on the internet, I wouldn't be able to contain myself. I'd have that feeling in the chest when you want to say something really badly but can't. The music, of course, is fantastic, this particular world I am in (World 3), the one with the Africa motifs, I cannot wait to get farther into it.

I am so glad Iwata mentioned the next console will absorb the WiiU in some way, I'd hate for the work that went into this game and all the others on the WiiU to have been affected by the circumstances of the console.

VanWinkle

Started the game. Very cool. Fun gameplay. AMAZING music. Man, I am in for a treat.

I AM disappointed in the visuals, though. Most of the environment assets look really low-res. The game doesn't look too great upscaled to 1080p unfortunately. Very jaggy, kinda blurry, just disappointing.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
So what do we think? Best fur in the history of video games? In motion it's hypnotizing.

Anything else come close?
Only things I've seen that come close are the tech demos for rare's safari game and the wolf gif for witcher 3. I'm curious if the wolf tech will ship on consoles.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Ehh, it will do poorly because of the console its on. Returns sold very well.

I agree, I am more lamenting the fact that relatively few people will end up playing it for that very reason. Hopefully this game among other Wii U gems get re-releases on the next console.

Drago

The hype for the game in here is incredible, jeez. I was really close to picking it up today while I was out but it's probably gonna ship out from Gamefly tomorrow (and I don't exactly have money to blow), so it will have to wait a few more days.

It will be an excruciating wait. .__.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Started the game. Very cool. Fun gameplay. AMAZING music. Man, I am in for a treat.

I AM disappointed in the visuals, though. Most of the environment assets look really low-res. The game doesn't look too great upscaled to 1080p unfortunately. Very jaggy, kinda blurry, just disappointing.
Have an example screenshot with lots of jaggies?

-TK-

Retro's track record is like 5-0 now. Amazing dev. Don't even care their releases are years apart. Sooooo buying their next game whatever it is.

Yup. I think Retro studios is the best game developer right now. Their games are just pure gameplay perfection.

Lunar15

Absolutely stellar game. Looks great, plays fantastically. The music is wonderful and the graphics are beautiful.

I have to say though, I'm a nunchuk+wiimote man myself. I know people don't like the waggle-to-roll aspect, but I prefer it. I really didn't think that was going to be the case going in, even picked up the pro controller just in case. But really, I felt most comfortable rocking the chuck and mote combo.

Kinsei

Banned
This game is 2D platforming perfection. I've completed the first 2 islands so far and these are some of the most creative levels I've ever played.

It seems like I'm in the minority for thinking Skowl was easy. I would have beaten him my first try had I not tried killing the penguins in his final phase.

To anyone not collecting the Kong letters: Collect them. The K levels are amazing.

zashga

Great game so far. I actually liked the soundtrack in DKCR, but this one has undeniably better music.

Still haven't moved on the world 2 yet. Level 1-K messed me up pretty good. Diddy and Dixie mess with my timing on precision jumps; thank god for Cranky!

I got the Dong.

IT'S AMAZING. Only played through 1-1 and 1-2, but the music, the smooth movement, THE DONG!

Seriously, I haven't been this interested in a platformer for years, not even Returns kept me like this.

HUELEN10

I was the first in line this morning the get the game.

I WAS THE FIRST.

I then suffered a hand injury. I don't want to read through the thread too much as I want the game to feel fresh to me when I heal enough to play it next week, but how pissed off should I be and how's Classic Controller Pro support?

ohlawd

Yup. I think Retro studios is the best game developer right now. Their games are just pure gameplay perfection.

I'm gonna take the time and post something on their twitter page or facebook, one of those when I'm done the game. This studio deserve praise and more.

This game is 2D platforming perfection. I've completed the first 2 islands so far and these are some of the most creative levels I've ever played.

It seems like I'm in the minority for thinking Skowl was easy. I would have beaten him my first try had I not tried killing the penguins in his final phase.

To anyone not collecting the Kong letters: Collect them. The K levels are amazing.
I'm one of the non collectors. Just wanna play the game without worrying about that stuff. I do have Danganronpa waiting tho so I think I'll finish TF, then DR, finally go back to TF to collect everything while waiting for ToS to come.

atbigelow

Up to 3-2 so far, with only skipping 2-K (for now). Beat both bosses first try. But I freakin love their designs and patterns.

This is like, the game. I freakin love it.

Omzz

in the middle of world 2....and this game is just beautiful. i find myself taking my sweet time in each level for the music to sink in

Busaiku

Bah, yeah, I've given up on getting all the puzzle pieces.
Took me forever to finish 2-K and I only got 4 pieces...

My thumb is in terrible shape.

jwhit28

I've only played 2 player so far but even just World 1 was difficult to 100%. 1-K we just had to piggyback. The secret exits are well hidden too.

The music is that much better in context. Is there a reason Busted Bayou doesn't show up in the music list?

llamarawk

This game is simply beautiful. Level design/progression and color palette really stand out. Love the difficulty. Speed runs will b glorious

Anyone else with a physical copy having major issues with the loading with stuttering and freezing. Like the end level music is mixing with the loading world music and cuts off halfway through loading when it shouldn't be playing at all.

The game is freaking amazing but this loading issue is a real quirk with me. I know I can look past it, but I just cringe every time it happens. I'm blasting through the game a bit to quick so I'm trying to take everything slow and find everything. I'm not sure how to make this game last compared to 3d World.

Shinta

Banned
Just based on finishing the first level alone, this is one of the very best games I've ever played in my life.

The transitions between land and water are just silky fucking smooth. The controls, the graphics, everything.

Wow.

Lexxon

Anyone else with a physical copy having major issues with the loading with stuttering and freezing. Like the end level music is mixing with the loading world music and cuts off halfway through loading when it shouldn't be playing at all.

I'm seeing some really jerky movement/sound during loading and maybe a second or two after loading, which is really odd to see in an otherwise superbly made game. Really out of character for Retro, makes me wonder if there's something they can patch to account for a slower optical drive, or whatever they may have not accounted for from the devkits.

LTWood12

Just based on finishing the first level alone, this is one of the very best games I've ever played in my life.

The transitions between land and water are just silky fucking smooth. The controls, the graphics, everything.

Wow.

Posts like this do my heart good.

Top Bottom