• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Busaiku

Anyone else with a physical copy having major issues with the loading with stuttering and freezing. Like the end level music is mixing with the loading world music and cuts off halfway through loading when it shouldn't be playing at all.

The game is freaking amazing but this loading issue is a real quirk with me. I know I can look past it, but I just cringe every time it happens. I'm blasting through the game a bit to quick so I'm trying to take everything slow and find everything. I'm not sure how to make this game last compared to 3d World.

I've complained several times about loading, but I also have slowdowns during the loading screens.
However, I've had no trouble in the actual levels themselves.

RomanceDawn

Are people watching these replays from other people?

MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spent last hour just watching replays for world 1

Some of these guys are insane! They make it look more fun then it possibly should!

I gave up on the golds in the last game but being able to watch other players and compare my scores to everyone else right there on the system it's self is so much more convenient.

I've gotten two golds so far and I'm ranked like 195 and 155. Some people are just too good!

Blasting along feels so good when you pull it off right, keeping all that momentum going. I am extremely satisfied with everything so far aside from Funky's voice.

I've complained several times about loading, but I also have slowdowns during the loading screens.
However, I've had no trouble in the actual levels themselves.

The initial load after booting up (after picking your file/players/etc.)....that bugged me. Seemed WAAAY longer than it should've been.

...But it was pretty gravy once it finished that. Load times seem a little longer than DKCR but nothing crazy. It does feel like it takes a little more time from death -> reload though.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
A good friend came over earlier today and we sank over 2 hours into Tropical Freeze and had a complete blast. Besides the controls being a little awkward to get accustomed to (why do we have to choose between stick or dpad, and why does it change the other controls?), we have nothing but praise for it. We died during the tough but fair platforming sections, we died many times during the first boss, and in general we died plenty of times just admiring little details in the background.

I've seen PS4 graphics, I know what high end PCs are capable of yet I just couldn't stop marveling at how gorgeous this game looks. And that music... David Wise is no mere human.

What is up with the leaves in that forest level early on though? They're animated really badly and stick out like a sore thumb compared to the smooth animations everything else has.

Either way, can't wait to start a single player file after work tomorrow and really take my time to explore and enjoy what will easily be my favorite game of 2014 for quite a while.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The initial load after booting up (after picking your file/players/etc.)....that bugged me. Seemed WAAAY longer than it should've been.

...But it was pretty gravy once it finished that. Load times seem a little longer than DKCR but nothing crazy. It does feel like it takes a little more time from death -> reload though.

What really bothered me is the load times when going to the shop. Why does it take so long to load such a simplistic UI?

phanphare

Banned
I've only played 2 player so far but even just World 1 was difficult to 100%. 1-K we just had to piggyback. The secret exits are well hidden too.

The music is that much better in context. Is there a reason Busted Bayou doesn't show up in the music list?

I think only 4 tracks from each world are in that

off-topic: Hornets 2014!

Busaiku

I really think this is far more difficult than Returns.
I'm even dying several times trying to get puzzle pieces in regular levels, and the K levels have been much harder too.

VanWinkle

My main gripes so far:

-The graphics. Like I said, pretty unimpressive with low-res assets all over the place, and the upscaling on my 42" 1080p (viewing from about 4 feet away) makes for an unfortunate blurry image.

-Swimming. I don't like the swimming mechanics. They feel unresponsive, possibly in the name of weightiness, but it doesn't feel or control well to me. To me, Rayman Origins/Legends have BY FAR the best swimming controls.

-Controls. This is a LITTLE bit more minor, and it's not a problem with the controls as a whole. It's just ridiculous to me that you have to choose between dpad and analog stick in controls, and EACH HAS A DIFFERENT CONTROL SCHEME. I want to use the dpad for main movement and analog stick for swimming, but I like the control scheme for the analog mode better. It's just a clusterbutt, and I don't like it.

Load times: Just taking too long. It's not out of this world bad by any means, but it feels un-Nintendo if that makes any sense. It feels uncharacteristic and a bit annoying.

My happy thoughts:

Art style: I do miss the dreariness of DKC and DKC 2, but it's colorful, cute, and has honestly much better enemy models than those games. I like it. It makes the game look QUITE nice at times even with the inherent limitations in the tech department.

Music: The music is SO GREAT. My goodness. I haven't gotten very far in at all and it just blows me away.

Level length: I am really surprised and impressed by the length of the levels. Much longer than I would have expected and none of it feels like filler.

Physics: It takes a bit to get acclimated to the controls, and I'm still not 100% there, but the physics are great. DK has a real sense of weight but is not unresponsive at all. He feels heavy, but, to me, it's in a good way.

jwhit28

off-topic: Hornets 2014!

Soon... but back on-topic

Well now we really need an OST release. As for the loading, only the initial load seems overly long to me. The loading screens have jerky animation but I haven't felt it in the gameplay at all. The levels being longer takes some impact off of the load times as well.

I'm excited for this game's speed run potential. DKCR requiring motion seemed like a big turnoff to most but TF having a built in online replay for sharing strategies and the dynamic of itemcoin management and partner switching during realtime runs should make for good competition.

Lijik

QaYta2S.gif

from the giantbomb ql page

kunonabi

Finishef the first two worlds with all the kong letters and puzzle pieces so I'm calling it for the night. Damn good game so far. I like how the stages are designed so that it's in your best interest to use the different Kongs. I was worried that Dixie would just make Diddy and Cranky obsolete but she really doesn't.

There must be something wrong with me.

I just can't get over the controls at this point. I'm playing and the only thing running through my mind is why is there a fucking separate button for grab? This is a platformer, not a fighter. I should not need three different buttons to run, jump AND grab. Just map it to pound/roll.

I had to shut the game off. It just feels so unintuitive. Was there a separate button for grab in returns?

Additionally, going back to a point I made on previous point, Kong feels heavier to ser up for a run. I think with this game, Retro is appeasing speedrunners more than anything because I think the idea is you chug along slowly at launch, build momentum, and keep going without missing a beat to maintain momentum. I think that's fine but for someone who wanted to approach this as a casual platformer, it pisses me off. :( I find ny brain is ahead of DK's speed.

I mean, first Legends disappointed me, this, Mario 3D....

Think I am jaded at this point.

You also didn’t like the movie Frozen. So yeah, you’re definitely dead inside.

This game is PHENOMENAL. Anybody who dares to complain about the very modest load times is clinically insane. I wouldn't have even noticed them if it weren't for sensationalists like WiiFolderJosh.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
There must be something wrong with me.

I just can't get over the controls at this point. I'm playing and the only thing running through my mind is why is there a fucking separate button for grab? This is a platformer, not a fighter. I should not need three different buttons to run, jump AND grab. Just map it to pound/roll.

I had to shut the game off. It just feels so unintuitive. Was there a separate button for grab in returns?

Yup, same as Returns.

Can't relate to this complaint at all, honestly. It feels great to me to grab on to things with a separate button. With Z on the nunchuck specifically. It might honestly be my favorite mechanic, particularly when used to grab on to the grass/moss on certain surfaces. I like the feeling that I'm "holding" something, with that index finger, distinct from my jumping thumb.

That said, "three buttons" is gibberish to me. Are you playing with the d-pad? Is there a run button in that scheme or something? I've never played without the analog stick, for me there's just jump and grab. I guess walk/run are both on the stick. And as noted in an earlier post, while I'm usually all about d-pad and run button in 2D platformers, DKCR/TF feel amazing to me with the stick.

chronosic

Played the first world and I'm super impressed!The music when you're fighting that slippery seal is amazing. I was able to get DKCR 3d for 10 bucks because I preordered, so I think I'm going to play through that before I go any further.

Busaiku

Puzzle Pieces only count if I complete the level while getting them right?
I know they always count in the middle of the stage, but completing 2-K again will be so hard...

Lunar15

The first world is like a heartbeat check. Got your donkey kong, your jungle, your snappy tunes, and some pleasant gameplay with a dash of challenge.

Then you get to the second world and Retro is like "Alright, time to get serious" and just starts doing some incredible things.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
The game does a poor job of explaining it. It will always tell you to use the "grab button" in tutorials, but if you want to pick up a barrel or a stunned enemy you can also use the run button.
Grab and run are always mapped to the same buttons. You misread something

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
At the Boss of World 1...

Swimming's really cool, especially jumping out of the water.
I like Dixie more than Diddy in terms of moves...except now when I play as Diddy, I forget he doesn't gain vertical momentum. :0
Cranky's pretty weird to control, don't like him much yet.
Love how the first World is (apparently) like the Bermuda Triangle.

Coda

As much as I'd love to get down with this game right now I can't afford to drop $50 for it. I get it NIntendo you make unique games no one else has so it has a premium price tag. I know people are gonna jump down my throat for saying this but a game like Strider just came out and it's $15 bucks and gives off that classic feel. I know the games are different, just making a comparison for comparisons sake in terms of Nintendo's pricing. I think many more people would be purchasing this game if it was $30-40. I think what's worse is it will like never drop from $50 until like a year they'll make it $40 for like 3 days. Nintendo needs to learn a dynamic pricing model for their customers, especially for their full fledged games, not just indies.

Went off on a tangent, don't get me wrong this game looks hype, just not the type of hype I'd drop $50 on right now. I need a new job haha.

So far, as I enter island 3, this is shaping up to be the best platformer ever.

But, wow. That loading screen. It's not the length, it's the choppiness. Wish they would have used a looping video or something.

As much as I'd love to get down with this game right now I can't afford to drop $50 for it. I get it NIntendo you make unique games no one else has so it has a premium price tag. I know people are gonna jump down my throat for saying this but a game like Strider just came out and it's $15 bucks and gives off that classic feel. I know the games are different, just making a comparison for comparisons sake in terms of Nintendo's pricing. I think many more people would be purchasing this game if it was $30-40. I think what's worse is it will like never drop from $50 until like a year they'll make it $40 for like 3 days. Nintendo needs to learn a dynamic pricing model for their customers, especially for their full fledged games, not just indies.

Went off on a tangent, don't get me wrong this game looks hype, just not the type of hype I'd drop $50 on right now. I need a new job haha.
Unfair comparison. DKCTF likely had well over 150+ hands in it over 2+ years. These games aren't cheap to make.

HUELEN10

It is effectively 40 USD at TRU right now though. 50, plus you get a 10 USD gift card.

npa189

World 2-2 nearly killed me. The Rambi run was basically frame perfect or die. This game is a masterpiece so far, Retro has made a better Donkey Kong than Rare ever did, or even could have. This studio is the best nintendo has to offer, they are better than EAD Tokyo and deserve the crown as best nintendo studio. David Wise is a fucking genius.

ohlawd

hahah what, 50 bucks is not premium pricing. Do you have glasses on that filter out 60 dollar games?

30-40 is too cheap for a game this good. This isn't Puppeteer or Sly 4 levels of garbage platforming we're talking here.

The loading screens don't bother me, as long as I enjoy the levels that come after it. And dong, have I ever!

Also, I like using Diddy more than the other Kongs, but I guess I got to keep trying them all. I LIKE THEIR FUR.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I think I like Cranky the most, actually. You get some great height off his bounce, can get those little banana groups that you pull up much faster than with other characters, I like bein able to jump on any spiky enemies, and you can do a roll jump into a series of bounces and really move. Diddy and Dixie are nice cause they allow you to be less precise with your jumps, but Cranky is definitely the most "powerful" character, both offensively and in terms of speedy traversal.

This game is another level than Strider, Retro takes their time to make the games amazing, I'm happy it's 50 and made it even easier for me to buy it day 1. (Even if I'm still waiting for my copy I had a chance to play it and it's amazing)

Coda

Unfair comparison. DKCTF likely had well over 150+ hands in it over 2+ years. These games aren't cheap to make.

True, I guess platformers just aren't my thing these days, in terms of spending $50 dollars on one. If money wasn't an issue right now I'd be downloading it right now as I could totally use some cheery/beautiful platforming in my life. Plus I loved DKC when it came out for the SNES, I just don't see real gameplay innovation honestly. Just a more beautiful (in some eyes) HD DKC with some nice panning camera effects. Maybe I just need to play it to understand. Like I said my main gripe before is that Nintendo never drops the prices of their games, even some 3rd party launch games like Batman: Arkham City (a crappy port) is still listed for $60, that's just unacceptable. After like 3-4 months they should drop the price to $40 for DKC: Tropical Freeze to attract the people on the edge of buying it already, seems like a no brainer to me.

I will happily be dropping $60 on Bayonetta 2 when it comes out because I know the depth will be there in terms of the gameplay and I just gravitate towards action games.

drbond

Neo Member
I heal enough to play it next week, but how pissed off should I be and how's Classic Controller Pro support?

Sucks that this title does not support the Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro (with the extended wings at the bottom for those who don't know).

I have no idea why. Maybe a future title update if people complain enough? Haven't checked the DKTC miiverse page to see how many people have posted about it yet. A major oversight since it even supports play via a sole-WiiMote.

As far as the current version (and printed in the surprisingly full color manual), it only supports the (1) wireless Pro U, (2) a solo-sideways WiiMote (NES style), (3) WiiMote & nunchuck combo, or your basic (4) WiiU Gamepad. You can mix and match what you like for two player couch coop.

Coda

hahah what, 50 bucks is not premium pricing. Do you have glasses on that filter out 60 dollar games?

30-40 is too cheap for a game this good. This isn't Puppeteer or Sly 4 levels of garbage platforming we're talking here.

Totally, I hear ya. That's all I really needed to hear to eventually get this when I've got the cash. I can tell it's a fantastic game.

Top Bottom