• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Up to the world 3 boss, and taking a break.

This is an absolutely amazing game. Retro have proven that they're more than worthy of carrying Rare's torch. Battles with DKC2 for best in the series, and easily one of the best in the genre.

robot

Do you think anyone who worked/works at Rare plays this game and says "remember when we used to make awesome shit like this?"

npa189

2-4 minecarts just gave me an ulcer. I don't know if I should drink for this game or not. Who do we need to annoy the shit of to get Wii classic controller support? the gamepad has useless battery life, and I refuse to buy a pro controller.

chronosic

2-4 minecarts just gave me an ulcer. I don't know if I should drink for this game or not. Who do we need to annoy the shit of to get Wii classic controller support? the gamepad has useless battery life, and I refuse to buy a pro controller.
The pro controller is life!

Any reason to why you don't want the pro controller? I absolutely love it.

I do agree that it should have Wii classic controller support.

I was the first in line this morning the get the game.

I WAS THE FIRST.

I then suffered a hand injury. I don't want to read through the thread too much as I want the game to feel fresh to me when I heal enough to play it next week, but how pissed off should I be and how's Classic Controller Pro support?
Hiya HUELEN! I remember you from our good ol' days back at the NSider forums, and it's always a bummer to have an old comrade injure a game-playing body part on the day of such an exquisite release. Actually, I'm just ASSUMING it's always a bummer, because this is the first case I've heard of it happening... but it is indeed a bummer this time, so it probably is in all other cases as well. THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T PLAY WITH BULL PEEN HAMMERS ON DONKEY KONG DAYS HUELEN!

Are you any better now? Can you, I don't know... forsake your bodily wellbeing and suffer through the pain in order to play?

The last thing you should be though is pissed off. You'll have the whole incredible experience ahead of you while many of us will have already blazed through most of it!

AdanVC

I just got the game earlier than expected! Played the first three levels and what can I say... I'm in love with this game already. It just feels so right to control DK, the physics on him are very well crafted. The levels are insanely detailed and full of secrets, collectibles and tons of bananas haha, overall is just so beautiful to look at and more while everything moves at silky 60fps. It is hard, I've already started losing lifes while trying to reach certain puzzle pieces and KONG letters. That makes me excited knowing this would take me a while to trying to 100% the game.

The music, pfff, even on the actual title screen theme I've founded myself moving my head with the beat of those tropical rythms, so damn good what I've been hearing so far. I can't freaking wait to hear more David Wise goodness. Nintendo and Retro Studios does it again.

I think I like Cranky the most, actually. You get some great height off his bounce, can get those little banana groups that you pull up much faster than with other characters, I like bein able to jump on any spiky enemies, and you can do a roll jump into a series of bounces and really move. Diddy and Dixie are nice cause they allow you to be less precise with your jumps, but Cranky is definitely the most "powerful" character, both offensively and in terms of speedy traversal.

LOVE Cranky's mechanics.

He's my favorite character by far.

npa189

Any reason to why you don't want the pro controller? I absolutely love it.

I do agree that it should have Wii classic controller support.

Honestly, I'm cheap. I can't justify it as my Wii U isn't used all that much. I'm sure it would be great, but I have too many unused nintendo peripherals as it is.

Honestly, I'm cheap. I can't justify it as my Wii U isn't used all that much. I'm sure it would be great, but I have too many unused nintendo peripherals as it is.

totally understandable, I was just curious. I've gotten a lot of play time from games like MH3U and I absolutely wanted it for DK and Smash so it was an easy buy for me.

npa189

totally understandable, I was just curious. I've gotten a lot of play time from games like MH3U and I absolutely wanted it for DK and Smash so it was an easy buy for me.

I'd love one for smash, but it's just another $50, and being in between jobs I just can't do it (I'm convincing myself not to run out and buy one) I just have this mountain of Wii garbage and I hate that I can't use my pro classic controller.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Time Trial Mode - The Dark Souls Of Platforming

Mother of Wise, these gold medal times are ridiculous. I spent a good 90 minutes running Mangrove Cove over and over and over again, while watching a few of the top runs to figure out what to do...

I finally got gold, and now my thumb is screaming in agony. But maaan it felt so good when I finally made it.

This game keeps delivering. I've 100%'d the first world, and all of the second world except for the K level (which I haven't even tried yet, for I am afraid)

I have work tomorrow morning, but the rest of the weekend will be spent in various stages of dong expansion. Glad most of you seem to be loving the game as much as I am! The Wii U is truly becoming a must own console for anyone who doesn't want to miss out on future gaming classics.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I'm up to world 5. I have max lives and coins because of 2-K and they're still not going down. Has anyone else had this "problem?" lol... the lowest i've been is 94 lives and then they go right back up on a good level. It's crazy. >_<

Love the game. Absolutely killer

Been co-oping my way up to Savannah Plains and absolutely loving it so far. Dixie feels like a more suitable kong for beginners or people who just don't play games that much than Diddy was in the original, but the few times I've played by myself I've taken to Cranky. Could just be since I've had more chances to replay DKCR, but so far Tropical Freeze feels more difficult as well. Snowmads are also making way more of an impression than the Tiki's did.

Only nitpicks is the lack of variation in the music when you change islands or level-specific victory/death jingles (the latter's really just due to it being a neat detail in DKC2/3), player 1 being forced to play as DK and again the lack of animal buddies besides Rambi and Squawks. There's nothing remotely as annoying or jarring as (locking you) to shake to roll or the quirks in time trials this time around.

SirYoshi

What an amazing game. I'm playing with my GF coop and we are on world 3. This will either break us apart or make us stronger. Most likely the first one.

The bosses are really quite something in this game! Awesome and challenging!

This game is definitely not dull. It's beautiful. Island two is beautiful!

I don't know what Gmespot is talking about!

gogojira

Game is fucking great. Retro continue to be kings and the David Wise OST is so damn good. If they don't release a soundtrack to purchase I'm going to be so angry.

Second world is fantastic and then you go into the third and the trees are all jammin' to that Wise music and it's pure fucking joy.

SenkiDala

Hello all.

I don't feel like reading 43 pages, can you tell me how long is the game? I heard there are 6 "chapters", it's as long as the 3DS version of DKCR?

I also avoid to read too many reviews because I don't want to know too many things about the game...

Anyway, whatever the answer is I'll take it today, or in a few days, but I'm curious. :D

Hello all.

I don't feel like reading 43 pages, can you tell me how long is the game? I heard there are 6 "chapters", it's as long as the 3DS version of DKCR?

I also avoid to read too many reviews because I don't want to know too many things about the game...

Anyway, whatever the answer is I'll take it today, or in a few days, but I'm curious. :D
I read 13hrs and that doesn't include collecting everything. Maybe collecting most of everything.

Any platformer that can clock in at 10hrs is a good length.

OK GAF I bought a Wii U. Thanks for the hype. Will SM3DW and Pikmin 3 out in addition to DKC:TF it probably has the most games I want anyway so I think its a good decision for my first next-gen console. Hope Nintendo has a strong E3. I also hope this game ends up selling the system to many more so we get more Retro Studios sooner.

NateDrake

Hello all.

Depends how you play. If you play and just aim to beat the levels without collecting the Kong letters or puzzle pieces it could take about 10-12hrs. Do the Time Attack for Gold status, get all the letters and puzzle pieces will run you a lot longer.

bigmac996

I could never really get into Donkey Kong Country: Returns, but somehow I'm completely absorbed in this one. It's incredible.

I don't know why this one clicks where the other didn't. Maybe it's the music? Lack of waggle? Not sure. I love it, though. My old Mario 3D World habit of collecting everything in a level seems to be carrying over too.

OK GAF I bought a Wii U. Thanks for the hype. Will SM3DW and Pikmin 3 out in addition to DKC:TF it probably has the most games I want anyway so I think its a good decision for my first next-gen console. Hope Nintendo has a strong E3. I also hope this game ends up selling the system to many more so we get more Retro Studios sooner.
Good choice! Hope you enjoy it.

Regardless of what anyone says, I love the Wii U. I'm having the most fun with their games more than any console.

That's what it's all about. None of that other BS found in modern games. Nintendo games are all about gameplay and having a blast!

Semajer

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Time Trial Mode - The Dark Souls Of Platforming

Mother of Wise, these gold medal times are ridiculous. I spent a good 90 minutes running Mangrove Cove over and over and over again, while watching a few of the top runs to figure out what to do...

I finally got gold, and now my thumb is screaming in agony. But maaan it felt so good when I finally made it.

This game keeps delivering. I've 100%'d the first world, and all of the second world except for the K level (which I haven't even tried yet, for I am afraid)

I have work tomorrow morning, but the rest of the weekend will be spent in various stages of dong expansion. Glad most of you seem to be loving the game as much as I am! The Wii U is truly becoming a must own console for anyone who doesn't want to miss out on future gaming classics.

Gold is pretty good.

Now get Shiny Gold.

DigiMish

Cranky definitely feels OP. His cane jump allows him to get stuff that you would need to otherwise bounce off of enemies to get. He can regularly attack underwater as well, so enemies are no trouble there. Spikes are laughable when you can just bunny hop across them on a cane... but I suspect spikes will be replaced by botomless pits in later levels.

Het_Nkik

Just beat 3-1 and it's time for bed.

Loving the game.

The K levels are just as hard as ever which is <3. The second boss was a nice step up in difficulty compared to the first boss. The fur looks damn gorgeous.

But am I crazy or does this game dole out lives liked nobody's business? I already had 80 something lives by the end of the first world and 99 a couple levels into the second world.

Anyway, 3-1 was a goddamn masterpiece of a level and I can't wait to play more tomorrow. Also that minecart level in World 2 was beautiful.

Gah, I love this game!

Glass Joe

I just played through the first two worlds and it's a fun, nice looking game. Glad I got it and that it's only $50 instead of the expected $60.

I do have some nitpicks though. I kind of feel that Retro was given a deadline and Nintendo said "No more delays." I say that because a few things, mainly presentation-wise, don't seem completely polished or make a lot of sense.

LOADING - The actual load times I'm fine with, that was way overblown. I'm referring to the studdering during the load screen. It seems quite unprofessional for a Nintendo product, but thankfully gameplay has been 60fps with no hints of slowdown. It seems the Wii U isn't very effective at performing while loading/streaming data in the background, I wonder if that's what causes problems with 3rd party games like Batman.

GAMEPAD SCREEN - I'm not of the opinion that each game has to use the second screen in an innovative way. But blank? If they had no fresh ideas, it seems like they could have gone the NSMBU route and just mirrored the TV by default. In fact, I'm confused why they don't. Maybe it does cost a little bit of processing and slowed the performance down? But blank (black) seems silly - couldn't they simply incorporate an option to actually turn the screen off and save some battery juice? Edit: Out of curiosity I googled what they did for the 3DS Returns game. Even a listing of collectibles like they did there would be SOMETHING.

ANALOG STICK VS DIGITAL - Having to choose before the game starts is just baffling. Why not have both inputs work, like every other 2D platformer on U?

Again, it's still a solid game and I really like it. Mainly those 3 elements I listed during my first impression just seem sloppy and unnecessary like there were some final touches they didn't get to do. I wonder if they'll do any patching. I guess the loading studdering, as superficial as it is, is the one that bugs me most. The stages all seem well designed and leaderboards are a nice touch too (they should send their secret to Zen Studios because their Pinball leaderboards are a mess).

Hiya HUELEN! I remember you from our good ol' days back at the NSider forums, and it's always a bummer to have an old comrade injure a game-playing body part on the day of such an exquisite release. Actually, I'm just ASSUMING it's always a bummer, because this is the first case I've heard of it happening... but it is indeed a bummer this time, so it probably is in all other cases as well. THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T PLAY WITH BULL PEEN HAMMERS ON DONKEY KONG DAYS HUELEN!

Are you any better now? Can you, I don't know... forsake your bodily wellbeing and suffer through the pain in order to play?

The last thing you should be though is pissed off. You'll have the whole incredible experience ahead of you while many of us will have already blazed through most of it!

Hey, I was on NSider as well! Had a high enough rank there to obtain a signature. I had a very different screen name back then than I do now.
Quote to read what it was

dwuuuu

Banned
I just played through the first two worlds and it's a fun, nice looking game. Glad I got it and that it's only $50 instead of the expected $60.

I do have some nitpicks though. I kind of feel that Retro was given a deadline and Nintendo said "No more delays." I say that because a few things, mainly presentation-wise, don't seem completely polished or make a lot of sense.

LOADING - The actual load times I'm fine with, that was way overblown. I'm referring to the studdering during the load screen. It seems quite unprofessional for a Nintendo product, but thankfully gameplay has been 60fps with no hints of slowdown. It seems the Wii U isn't very effective at performing while loading/streaming data in the background, I wonder if that's what causes problems with 3rd party games like Batman.

GAMEPAD SCREEN - I'm not of the opinion that each game has to use the second screen in an innovative way. But blank? If they had no fresh ideas, it seems like they could have gone the NSMBU route and just mirrored the TV by default. In fact, I'm confused why they don't. Maybe it does cost a little bit of processing and slowed the performance down? But blank (black) seems silly - couldn't they simply incorporate an option to actually turn the screen off and save some battery juice? Edit: Out of curiosity I googled what they did for the 3DS Returns game. Even a listing of collectibles like they did there would be SOMETHING.

ANALOG STICK VS DIGITAL - Having to choose before the game starts is just baffling. Why not have both inputs work, like every other 2D platformer on U?

Again, it's still a solid game and I really like it. Mainly those 3 elements I listed during my first impression just seem sloppy and unnecessary like there were some final touches they didn't get to do. I wonder if they'll do any patching. I guess the loading studdering, as superficial as it is, is the one that bugs me most. The stages all seem well designed and leaderboards are a nice touch too (they should send their secret to Zen Studios because their Pinball leaderboards are a mess).

Just nitpicking criticisms if you ask me

- The game delivers off-tv, so it does make use of the gamepad fully

- The loading screens are the same style as on Wii and no one complained about them then

- The analog vs digital stick - Just go analog when playing on tv and go digital when playing on gamepad !

Thoraxes

I'd love one for smash, but it's just another $50, and being in between jobs I just can't do it (I'm convincing myself not to run out and buy one) I just have this mountain of Wii garbage and I hate that I can't use my pro classic controller.

Too bad you didn't get in on the Best Buy white Pro Controller clearance. I got mine for $25, and a second one for $13. Maybe check your local store and see if one is miraculously still there.

Glass Joe

Just nitpicking criticisms if you ask me

- The game delivers off-tv, so it does make use of the gamepad fully

- The loading screens are the same style as on Wii and no one complained about them then

- The analog vs digital stick - Just go analog when playing on tv and go digital when playing on gamepad !

Yeah, I called them nitpicking criticisms in the original post, so chill. They still irritate me though, and your post just comes off as defending out of bias instead of actually considering my points.

- I think a big 1st party Nintendo product should present more than a blank screen, period. It just detracts from their Wii U branding when they don't bother doing *anything* with the screen at all. It's like Retro is saying "Yeah we don't get the Wii U either."

- I'm not complaining about the loading screens existing. I'm complaining about the stuttering -- the several brief animation pauses while the game is loading. That didn't happen in the Wii version and it made me concerned that maybe my Wii U was going bad. However, I saw other people on the web make similar comments so I don't think its my unit.

- Analog vs digital. Whatever, what a captivating point you made. "Deal with it, bro," basically. *Rolls eyes.*

I dig the game. I'm not bashing it. But what I've nitpicked is worth nitpicking about.

- I think a big 1st party Nintendo product should present more than a blank screen, period. It just detracts from their Wii U branding when they don't bother doing *anything* with the screen at all. It's like Retro is saying "Yeah we don't get the Wii U either."

The way I see it, if they weren't going to utilize the Gamepad screen for anything then they might as well do nothing with it and save battery life. It's not that big of a deal imo. It's better than having some useless display that serves no real purpose.

Top Bottom