• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

I'm 3 worlds in and the game essentially keeps telling me "oops, you died. Next time you'll know to jump there." Does that ever let up? Because basically having infinite lives doesn't make up for poor level design.

Forcing you to be aware of your surroundings and have decent reaction time isn't poor level design, it's some of the fundamentals of platforming games.

I'm 3 worlds in and the game essentially keeps telling me "oops, you died. Next time you'll know to jump there." Does that ever let up? Because basically having infinite lives doesn't make up for poor level design.
It's not poor level design at all. It's challenging level design.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's not poor level design at all. It's challenging level design.

In point of fact, there's a few places where a one-time use barrel is positioned to save you at the end of a new kind of jumping sequence. It resets you to the beginning for free if you fall, without losing a life. These barrels are sometimes hidden off the bottom of the screen and rise up to catch you when you fall.

atr0cious

A game being able to tell you exactly where you messed up through gameplay isn't well designed?

"100% Complete! Hard Mode Unlocked! You have one heart, no buddies, and buddy barrels produce nothing. Oh, and no checkpoints. Good luck!"

id8BmdRnYZicF.gif

Yeah, books are totally a visual medium like video games, that's a totally apt fuckin' comparison, freezamite
No, no, a videogame is not a "medium", it's a GAME displayed through a video signal. PERIOD.
And like any game, what makes it good or bad is it's design and rules, and this is why when someone plays a lot of videogames he is considered a hardcore "gamer".

To say that a videogame is good or bad based on its aesthetics is the same as to judge a game played on the street (like football, catch or anything) based on the ones who play, a total nonsense.

noobasuar

Banned
The reason why the Wii U should have achievements. Ain't nobody got time for that.

So you could have a notification pop up that gives you two seconds of satisfaction because you're such a damn drug addict instead of doing something just for the fun of it? Yeah no. Achievements suck.

Lijik

The difficulty is maybe just a tad easier in this game but it just feels better this way. I'm only in world 3 tho and finishing returns prob just made me better. Also I play strictly coop.

Nobody should fear its difficulty BC the store now sells do many diff items and coins are plentiful.

I like that I can use my coins on figurines cuz I'll never use items.

Even ignoring the store, I racked up 70 lives pretty easy during the first two worlds and only lost a large chunk of them attempting the K stages. Even excluding that, by the time you hit world 3 you'll probably have enough coins buy a full stock of 99 lives twice over if you havent been spending them. Stark contrast to DKCR where it felt like I had to scrimp and save throughout a world just to get enough change for like 20-30 lives.

No, no, a videogame is not a "medium", it's a GAME displayed through a video signal. PERIOD.
Yeah!! And paintings arent a "medium", theyre just a PAINT on a CANVAS!

To say that a videogame is good or bad based on its aesthetics is the same as to judge a game played on the street by persons (like football) based on the ones who play, a total nonsense.

I think pretending that aesthetics of video games don't really matter is actually quite a bit dumber than the people who put WAY too much focus on them.

Aesthetics are the first part of making any video game. You can't have a video game without them. Even in the most skill-based and hardest of hardcore games. Even in text-based games. You think the DKC trilogy just came out of thin air from "design and rules", and they just kinda slapped together some random jungle themes and animals at the last minute? The very best games have aesthetics and mechanics that fit together perfectly, gorgeous and complex.

Coda

So you could have a notification pop up that gives you two seconds of satisfaction because you're such a damn drug addict instead of doing something just for the fun of it? Yeah no. Achievements suck.

As much as I agree with this, there's really nothing fun about trying to beat a game with no checkpoints and one life with no assist characters. The fact that you get that as a reward is pretty typical and lazy. Even if the Wii U had unique achievements like a prize through the game like Funky Kong playable or something like that would be boss. Instead you just get a stupid hard mode that 1% of the gamers who beat the game will play. And yes games are a social thing now, I see no point in beating a ridiculous hard mode in a game when I get nothing to show for it after.

Coda

I'm just saying older games would give you rewards for beating a certain mode. Like a special costume with special abilities, or a special weapon, etc. All you get for beating that mode is probably a "Thanks for playing!" screen, that's bullshit.

ohlawd

lol

Yeeeah I don't buy that social media shit. I really don't care about showing off how I managed to clear some super hard game mode. I'm out to make myself feel good, not anyone else.

Oh you're saying you want a reward. I can dig that, kinda. I just want that gratification, man.

Uiki

I'm just saying older games would give you rewards for beating a certain mode. Like a special costume with special abilities, or a special weapon, etc. All you get for beating that mode is probably a "Thanks for playing!" screen, that's bullshit.

Or, you know, you play it because it's fun.

DTU

Banned
No different to a rhythm game I guess. When it all comes together it's amazing.

That's way different than a rhythm game. I've completed numerous FreQuency/Amplitude/Rock Band songs on the very first try. From the sounds of it, such a feat is basically impossible in TF. A rhythm game gives you the rules, the controls, and the world, and allows you to react naturally. Sounds like there's no avoiding artificial deaths in TF, something no good rhythm game will do to you.

atr0cious

You could always post and gloat on MiiVerse? I mean, it's not a half second jingle and a popup, but at least this way, you can rub people's face in it, and read their tears aloud to your future children as lullabies.

bumpkin

100% ACHIEVED

Game is a pile of shit, more detailed impressions later
Did I miss some sort of meme established earlier in the thread?

I've played through world 1 so far -- all of the subpaths too -- and I'm loving every minute! It looks good, plays good, sounds amazing, and is just lots of old school fun. Apparently we aren't playing the same game.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

This is a better justification than pinning things on social media. And actually, Nintendo games have traditionally been very weak in this regard. They don't seem to like having "elite" content that only a relative few can access, as if this will make most people feel bad. So most Nintendo rewards are a "thanks for playing" screen or a star on the save file.

Compare with say, Platinum who makes games in the vein of oldschool Capcom titles like Resident Evil. In Bayonetta or MGR, you just keep on getting stuff for beating the game, like entire weapons and yet more new game modes and challenge sequences.

JoeM86

As much as I agree with this, there's really nothing fun about trying to beat a game with no checkpoints and one life with no assist characters. The fact that you get that as a reward is pretty typical and lazy. Even if the Wii U had unique achievements like a prize through the game like Funky Kong playable or something like that would be boss. Instead you just get a stupid hard mode that 1% of the gamers who beat the game will play. And yes games are a social thing now, I see no point in beating a ridiculous hard mode in a game when I get nothing to show for it after.

You can make a post showing it on Miiverse, have people you don't even know see it, like it, comment about it etc.

I just started it this morning with my gf. We're about 4 levels in so far. Really cool so far. The animations look a lot better in this one. The Kongs react to a lot of things you don't normally see in platformers.

The music kicks ass. It's a huge jump over DKCR already. Can't wait to play more tonight.

That's way different than a rhythm game. I've completed numerous FreQuency/Amplitude/Rock Band songs on the very first try. From the sounds of it, such a feat is basically impossible in TF. A rhythm game gives you the rules, the controls, and the world, and allows you to react naturally. Sounds like there's no avoiding artificial deaths in TF, something no good rhythm game will do to you.

I've only reached World 4 but my deaths have been my fault so far.

Yeah!! And paintings arent a "medium", theyre just a PAINT on a CANVAS!
Paintings are a medium like the video signal which also is another medium.

Now when you make a video game you're using the medium (the video signal) to create A GAME, which is good or bad (as a game) for the same reasons any games are good or bad. PERIOD.

ViewtifulJC said:
I think pretending that aesthetics of video games don't really matter is actually quite a bit dumber than the people who put WAY too much focus on them.

Aesthetics are the first part of making any video game. You can't have a video game without them. Even in the most skill-based and hardest of hardcore games. Even in text-based games. You think the DKC trilogy just came out of thin air from "design and rules", and they just kinda slapped together some random jungle themes and animals at the last minute? The very best games have aesthetics and mechanics that fit together perfectly, gorgeous and complex.
Okay, let's use your way of reasoning to demonstrate that the claim "football is a better game than volleyball because the most popular people play it" is a valid one.
"I think pretending that popular players don't really matter is actually quite a bit dumber than the people who put WAY too much focus on them.
Players are the first part of playing a sport. You can't have a sport without them. Even in the most unknown sports. You think that football just came out of thin air from "rules", and they just kinda slapped together some random balls and stadiums at the last minute? The very best sports have popular players and rules that fit together perfectly, gorgeous and complex".

And I am the one being dumb, you say?

Lijik

Freezamite you're either willfully disregarding the definition of the word medium when it suits you, or you're being extremely obtuse just for the sake of it. Video games count as a medium

First time I played DKC Returns I thought it was really hard and didn't like that I had to play the levels so many times to learn the layout and beat the stage. Second playthough, I breezed through the game and that's when DKCR became really good for me.

I beat Tropical Freeze with my nephew last night and had a blast. Their were deaths, but nothing a second try couldn't tackle. I feel Donkey Kong Country Returns made me really prepared for this game. TF felt a whole lot easier compared to DKCR, but still very satisfying.

After all the overhyped games on I played on this system, I needed this. A challenging platformer with great music, nice graphics without blinding bloom, fair and challenging gameplay for experienced players like me, a decent world to explore, a silly but appropriate story to give the adventure meaning, and an okay overworld. I also loved all four of these Kong characters from the SNES days. The attitude from the SNES Kong characters isn't quite present in this game, but my memories pretty much covered any shortcomings there.

The loading times do make me wish there was an install option though.

Anyway, great game. The best on Wii U. :D

Paintings are a medium like the video signal which also is another medium.

Now when you make a video game you're using the medium (the video signal) to create A GAME, which is good or bad (as a game) for the same reasons any games are good or bad. PERIOD.

Mechanics don't exist in a vacuum. They all start from a central idea, even the vaguest idea, and all the little elements that make up a game. The font color, the font itself, the character design, the music, the animations, the sound effects...these are all aesthetics. If you can't convey your mechanics to the senses, you don't have a game. You don't have anything.

Like...I can't even imagine Tropical Freeze being as good or bad as it is without the aesthetics. Take away David Wise music, the sound, the character designs(or the characters period), the font, the text, the platforms, the colors, the animations...take away all the aesthetics you just take away the entire game.

Like, I get it Freezamite, you really want to be Mr. Hardcore Gamer, but your weird war on aesthetics is very puzzling. Its why you keep getting banned. Its why they took your thread privileges away.

Hard Mode Unlocked! You have one heart, no buddies, and buddy barrels produce nothing.

So all those people that said in hard mode you don't get buddies on your back, but instead get to swap control between donkey kong,diddy,dixie and cranky were lying?

if so i'm really pissed...

Robin64

Just about to enter the final boss stage.

But first! Dinner and a movie. This can wait. I'm in no rush to get slaughtered.

This was my problem with the original.

matthwq

Banned
Seriously can't stop playing. Trying to pace myself, and I can't. I'll turn off the console for 30 minutes and immediately sit back on the couch. IT'S MY DAY OFF, DAMNIT.

Seriously can't stop playing. Trying to pace myself, and I can't. I'll turn off the console for 30 minutes and immediately sit back on the couch. IT'S MY DAY OFF, DANIT.

Yeah, I didn't want to beat it last night, but I was hooked. Now I'm bringing the Wii U and this game to my friends house for some more playtime. :D

Mlatador

Banned
This is the best 2D platformer I've played since the SNES glory days. Seriously.

I liked DKCR a lot, but it still disappointed me after not igniting anywhere near the level of love I have for the original trilogy. Tropical Freeze though executes on Retro's original vision that they laid out in Returns and ups the ante in just about every conceivable way (sans bonus rooms), for a project that makes me stand back and marvel at how brilliant the human mind can be sometimes.

From the beautiful music intertwining with the dynamism in the levels, to the obscene levels of detail and polish in every stage, down to the perfect balance of player agency vs. difficult (but always fair) design. This game is the real friggin' deal.

I 100%'d the first world, and am about halfway through world 2. Playtime is about four hours so far, and I'm now letting my younger sisters (ages 6 and 7) take a crack at their own file. After about their tenth death on level one, I asked if they wanted me to help.

"No!," the littlest one said. "If you beat it for us, how are we going to get any better?"

Never have I been more proud :D

awwww, you've got awesome sisters! ^_^

Freezamite you're either willfully disregarding the definition of the word medium when it suits you, or you're being extremely obtuse just for the sake of it. Video games count as a medium
No, videogames weren't created as a medium of anything, and they've become a medium by transforming themselves and copying what the real mediums (like cinema or paintings) had.

Were Pacman or Space invaders or Shinobi a medium? A medium of what exactly? That's what defined what a videogame is.

Videogames are games displayed through a video signal, and they're good as Video-games for what has always defined a video-game: its design and its rules.

That being said, can you use a video game as a medium? Only in the same way I was "playing movies" when I was a kid with my friends and a video-camera.
The "playing movies" thing was funny because we invented our own recording rules, and the movies themselves were a total mess but it was a good game for us, funny and all.

Does that mean that "playing movies" is the same as making movies? No. If someone had obligated us to treat the game like a medium and instead of recording following our own rules we had been forced to record properly to achieve a good product as a medium, then we would've hated that without any doubt and it would've become a bad game by any means. In fact, it would've stopped to be a game.

Now you can say: "but I enjoy more watching a game with good graphics than playing an excellently designed game with bad aesthetics".
And this is something totally legit, you can feel like that. But then you don't like videogames, you like the immersion or the good images that a videogame can bring as a result of the media it's displayed through, in the same way that if we had been little geniuses our fan-made kid-movies could've been great as proper movies as well.
But playing movies was good as a game independently of the quality of them as movies and only because of the "recording" rules we set and how we recorded them.

ViewtifulJC said:
Mechanics don't exist in a vacuum. They all start from a central idea, even the vaguest idea, and all the little elements that make up a game. The font color, the font itself, the character design, the music, the animations, the sound effects...these are all aesthetics. If you can't convey your mechanics to the senses, you don't have a game. You don't have anything.

Like...I can't even imagine Tropical Freeze being as good or bad as it is without the aesthetics. Take away David Wise music, the sound, the character designs(or the characters period), the font, the text, the platforms, the colors, the animations...take away all the aesthetics you just take away the entire game.
It's a bit funny how you dodged my analogy to your flawed logic and didn't answer to it, so I'll try it again:
"Like...I can't even imagine Football being as good or bad as it is without the popularity. Take away Lionel Messi, the huge stadiums, the player's sex appeal (or the players period), the ball, the lines on the ground, the ground where you play, the equipment colours, the player physical capacities...take away all the popularity you just take away the entire game."

See where the fallacy is? Football can't be played without players, nor balls, nor a plain field. But that doesn't mean that those things are something that influence the quality of football as a good or bad game. You may like football more if Messi is the one playing than if it's a 5 year old kid, but the game is as good if it's played by Messi as if it's played by a 5 year old kid.
That's what has always defined a game, and video-games are games displayed through a video signal. PERIOD.

ViewtifulJC said:
Like, I get it Freezamite, you really want to be Mr. Hardcore Gamer, but your weird war on aesthetics is very puzzling. Its why you keep getting banned. Its why they took your thread privileges away.
No, that's not about being a hardcore gamer, that's about being a gamer period. I don't have anything against aesthetics, in fact I've participated on graphical discussions and such.
What I'm against is at putting aesthetics over what defines a game when judging video-games, in the same way I would be against someone judging how good a sport is based on "how popular the players are" even when I have nothing against discussing about if Leonel Messi is a good player or if it's better as a player than Cristiano Ronaldo.

ohlawd

wtf is happening

why is there some pseudo philosphical nonsense discussion up in here

am I being punk'd. Where's Ashton?

Top Bottom