• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

jdforge

Banned
So tempted to just drop £40 on this at GAME today so that I can play it. I would download it but my HDD is full.

Speaking of which what's a good external HDD for Wii U?

Calamari41

41 > 38
I also think that these bad guys, especially the bosses, have way more character than the Kremlings ever did and are much better. The only difference is that we aren't 8 years old anymore.

Robin64

Uh oh. There's already a great divide here between those who think analog is the best (wrong) and those who think d-pad is best (correct).

maxcriden

Uh oh. There's already a great divide here between those who think analog is the best (wrong) and those who think d-pad is best (correct).

Haha yes. I'm sorry Lathentar, I just think you get much smoother and more precise control with a game like this with the d-pad. It helps too that the placement of the d-pad on the GamePad is just perfect.

Darker atmosphere is also better in games. What do you prefer:

maxresdefault.jpg
this

and this

large.jpg

or this

NSMBU-2.jpeg
I prefer a dark atmosphere, but aesthetics is such a trivial thing when it comes to gaming that I wouldn't use it as a reason of why a game is better than another one.
In other words, is a book better because it has a "dark cover"? Because that's the kind of reasoning I'm seeing here...

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Haha yes. I'm sorry Lathentar, I just think you get much smoother and more precise control with a game like this with the d-pad. It helps too that the placement of the d-pad on the GamePad is just perfect.
I guess. Seems like analog controls is what they designed the game around though. They always showed it and returns off using the nunchuk scheme for a reason. Feels better to me.

maxcriden

what backwards ass hillbillies use the d-pad

do you hold the left side of the N64 controller too

y'all crazy JC--of course I hold the left side!

I guess. Seems like analog controls is what they designed the game around though. They always showed it and returns off using the nunchuk scheme for a reason. Feels better to me.

I'll submit the analog stick on the Nunchuk is far superior to that of the GamePad, especially if you're okay with motion controls--and a big part of that IMO is the octagonal gate.

matthwq

Banned
Oh my gawd. 2-A is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L.

3D games are better with analog.

2D games are better with the d-pad.

I usually always feel this way. The platformer is my favorite genre. But, this game, I don't know man. Analog just feels better to me. (The lack of a run button doesn't bother me -- hello, Yoshi's Island.)

Personally, I don't mind playing 2D games with analog at all. Never have.

I just beat the game. It'd be an easy GOTY contender for me if Smash Bros. wasn't dated for this year.

I´m craving for a platformer on my Wii U all of the sudden. Should I pick this up or spend € 10 more for Super Mario 3D World?

They're both great choices. I can't really advocate one over the other at this point, though.

javac

Played a bit last night. Got to World 3. Loving it. Found the bosses really hard thus far however lol. Music is perfection and the graphics look stunning. Amazing game. Best game on the Wii U so far imo.

Danielsan

Personally, I don't mind playing 2D games with analog at all. Never have.

I just beat the game. It'd be an easy GOTY contender if Smash Bros. wasn't dated for this year.

They're both great choices. I can't really advocate one over the other at this point, though.

Both are great games. You should buy both.
My wallet doesn't allow it, especially given that Nintendo's games are ridiculously priced on their eshop and tend to not drop much in price at retail either.

My wallet doesn't allow it, especially given that Nintendo's games are ridiculously priced on their eshop and tend to not drop much in price at retail either.

Then you have to choose between 2D or 3D plattforming you really can´t go wrong with any of them anyways, both are really great games.

daripad

If you want challange, you will easily find it in Donkey Kong. Mario 3D World gets hard in the last 2 worlds

atr0cious

If you're in NA, you can join me at Best Buy tomorrow and buy a $50 eshop card for $40 and grab DK that way.

baconcow

Not sure if I understand reviews for this game. Eurogamer states it is superior than the first (which they gave a 90% to) and then give this one a 70%. GameSpot too, state it is better and give it a 60% (giving the first game a 70%). Very inconsistent review scores. Is this a result of next-gen bias against Nintendo?

Davey Cakes

Not sure if I understand reviews for this game. Eurogamer states it is superior than the first (which they gave a 90% to) and then give this one a 70%. GameSpot too, state it is better and give it a 60% (giving the first game a 70%). Very inconsistent review scores. Is this a result of next-gen bias against Nintendo?
I don't know. Maybe DKCR was more impressive for it's time? (Even though people in this thread seem pretty darn impressed with TF)

But are we even talking about the same reviewers handing out the scores between the two games?

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Well Tropical Freeze has bland and uninspired levels... >.>

In Gamespot's incorrect professional opinion.
Do they actually say that it has bland and uninspired levels? Because if so.... I could never trust that reviewer.

matthwq

Banned
Comparing Mario 3D World and DKC:TF is pointless, as you're basically comparing one of the best 3D platformers ever with one of the best 2D platformers ever. Either way, you win.

Clockwork5

Just came to say that has to be the best OT title ever. I seriously LOL every time I read it. Given the financial state of Nintendo, its just... Gold

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
what backwards ass hillbillies use the d-pad

do you hold the left side of the N64 controller too

notsureifserious.gif

Do you play all 2D platformers like that? I know some REALLY good spelunky players that swear by the analogue stick, and I can't for the life of me understand it

jts

...hate me...
Finished the World 4 boss, didn't realize my GamePad's battery was low.

Now the GamePad's battery is dead. Guess I'm done for a bit :(
Plug it in directly with the cord and you're good to go.

But damn dat Wii U Pro Controller for this game tho.

Played a couple of levels, and whilst I am not really feeling the level design at the moment, I love the visuals and music. There's a lot of attention to detail and love gone into it to bring back memories of the originals. The dynamic music is impressive too - it's different listening to it morphing as you're playing, as opposed to listening to the individual tracks on youtube.

And even though I am a seasoned Returns player, I found the controls hard to adjust to and got whacked a couple of times! Although I don't think I've played it in well over a year.

Top Bottom