• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

stuminus3

I'm not usually one to have much to say on the subject of review, but... Gamespot calls the level design 'mostly bland', my mind is completely boggled that someone could not only write those words but actually get paid to do so. o_O

Isotope

It's been said numerous times, but 3-1 is just sublime.

The level itself, the atmosphere, the music. Everything just blends so well together.

Ulysses 31

Should I get this boxed or download?

I want it.

781.png

I like the box/smooth Wii U discs.

I like the faster load times of the digital.

If money is no object.

Kacho

Maaaaan these levels are so much fun. Reviewers weren't kidding about the difficulty. It gets challenging real fast. My wife was struggling in the first world and eventually rage quit. lol

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh man, that one Puzzle Piece in Busted Bayou...you know the one. ;)

Making a star using the blank space between the foilage was brilliant

braves01

Banned
So, for those who have put some time in into TF and played DKCR, how is the difficulty relative to the first game? Reviewers obviously have been complaining about the difficulty, but I doubt many of them put much time into DKCR if they played it at all.

So, for those who have put some time in into TF and played DKCR, how is the difficulty relative to the first game? Reviewers obviously have been complaining about the difficulty, but I doubt many of them put much time into DKCR if they played it at all.

If you beat DKCR your skills are going to transfer over so well that it will likely feel easier than it actually is, but it's never at a point of being too easy either.

Obviously it comes down to personal skill and I can't assess yours so it's hard for me to be much more specific than that, but personally I found it to be a very well balanced game with a more gradual curve than the first one. Also, as with any good platformer, the mistakes are always 100% your fault. I never found myself wasting as many lives on a single level as I did in Returns though.

Granted, I've yet to do any of the Kong levels.

Kacho

Pfft, I wish Nintendo has better servers. 33%. I would have been playing for over half an hour if this was a Steam game.

Yeah, downloading games on the Wii U sucks. I got this digitally last night because my boxed copy won't come until Monday. Took roughly 3 hours to DL and install.

jnWake

Bought this yesterday. Cleared World 1.

Game is awesome so far. Can't understand complaints against the graphics... Loading times aren't that bad but it's annoying that the loading screen freezes and stuff like that. Level 1-K was quite though... I can't imagine how speedrunning it will be!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
At this point I can say the complaints about the graphics in this game fell in to the age-old gaming trap: staring at screenshots and saying stuff without considering what's going to happen when the game is in motion. The visuals are really impressive, there is a stupid amount of detail, animation, and reactive, explody stages. Plus the framerate being as rock solid as something like 3D World.

At the end of world 3 here and I think the difficulty ramp-up is a lot smoother than DKCR. But this is partly due to the level design being more consistently higher quality. The stages are just smart.

There is a slightly higher learning curve though, as levels are meant to be taken advantage of with the different partner abilities. So there are some jumps and sequences that are tricky early on until you get used to how a particular partner works.

braves01

Banned
If you beat DKCR your skills are going to transfer over so well that it will likely feel easier than it actually is, but it's never at a point of being too easy either.

Obviously it comes down to personal skill and I can't assess yours so it's hard for me to be much more specific than that, but personally I found it to be a very well balanced game with a more gradual curve than the first one. Also, as with any good platformer, the mistakes are always 100% your fault. I never found myself wasting as many lives on a single level as I did in Returns though.

Granted, I've yet to do any of the Kong levels.

Yeah, I've played through DKCR a few times, got all the puzzle pieces and played through about 80% of mirror mode. I thought the difficulty there was nearly perfect. It's just hard to tell whether these complaints about difficulty are coming from people who thought DKCR was fine, or from people who would have complained about that one being too hard as well.

Burnburn

I'm only in world 3, so it might not be the entire picture, but I find the overall levels to be easier than DKCR. The temple levels are MUCH easier. The bosses, however, are way harder than DKCR.

Deku Tree

Is there any web site or wiki that explains well how to use all of DKs moves including the crazy ones that you see on some of the leaderboards?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
The choppiness in the loading screens is just retarded. How this went through the infamous Nintendo cert is beyond me.

Yeah, because yknow, that totally ruins the entire experience. The fact that the loading screens stutter for about 10 seconds.

GAF complains about anything, I swear to God.

2 worlds complete, this game is awesome. Feels like just a flat out better version of the best platformer of the previous generation. Sawmill Thrill was amazing.

The Lamp

Boxed. Game is nearly half the hard drive of a Wii U (assuming you don't own a Basic set, which means you couldn't download this without an external anyway).

In addition to this, why would you want to risk buying a digital download retail Nintendo game at full price given their crappy account system?

Cleared World 3. Lol at the boss. Made me want another Jungle Beat. Loving this so far. The levels just ooze personality, with the dynamic changes, the music mixing with level affairs, the enemies that inhabit it....you can tell a lot of love and effort went into this. Music is top-notch, David Wise pulls off another winner of a soundtrack. Cranky is probably getting the most usage from me. That's a powerful stick he has.

Admittedly, with it being a long while since I've played Returns, the controls and heavy weight of DK himself took a bit to get used to initially. Of course, they work well after getting back into the swing of things. Load times, while a bit annoying, aren't an issue. I like the little riff that plays while loading anyway.

Overall, great so far, on to
Deep Keep!

Haines

Banned
The difficulty is maybe just a tad easier in this game but it just feels better this way. I'm only in world 3 tho and finishing returns prob just made me better. Also I play strictly coop.

Nobody should fear its difficulty BC the store now sells do many diff items and coins are plentiful.

I like that I can use my coins on figurines cuz I'll never use items.

atbigelow

Sawmill Thrill is one of the best levels I've played in a game. I also personally love log flume rides at parks, so it was pretty amazing.

Loving this game so much.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The difficulty is maybe just a tad easier in this game but it just feels better this way. I'm only in world 3 tho and finishing returns prob just made me better. Also I play strictly coop.

Nobody should fear its difficulty BC the store now sells do many diff items and coins are plentiful.

I like that I can use my coins on figurines cuz I'll never use items.

Funny enough this brings to mind my one complaint: the game doesn't use the stamp system. Having a unique stamp unlocked every time you win a figurine would have been flawless.

MrBadger

I've not found the regular levels especially hard or unfair so far, and I'm halfway through the final world. The bosses on the other hand all took me a while to get used to. First one was the only one I beat first try.

Also, I love the cameo of the
giant bat
from DKCR in the final world.

Seriously can't find this anywhere in charlotte, i would have bought it digital but i'm sum 1 mb/s right now and that won't change anytime soon.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

it seems slightly easier than DKCR to me, but maybe because that game hardened my skills a whole lot (that, and 3DW's last worlds). Granted, I havent played much (five levels) but they seem more forgiving than the first ones in DKCR

Bog

Junior Ace
I'm 3 worlds in and the game essentially keeps telling me "oops, you died. Next time you'll know to jump there." Does that ever let up? Because basically having infinite lives doesn't make up for poor level design.

javac

I'm 3 worlds in and the game essentially keeps telling me "oops, you died. Next time you'll know to jump there." Does that ever let up? Because basically having infinite lives doesn't make up for poor level design.

No different to a rhythm game I guess. When it all comes together it's amazing.

Yeah, I've played through DKCR a few times, got all the puzzle pieces and played through about 80% of mirror mode. I thought the difficulty there was nearly perfect. It's just hard to tell whether these complaints about difficulty are coming from people who thought DKCR was fine, or from people who would have complained about that one being too hard as well.

The complaints must be coming from people who are either terrible at platformers or have no interest in Nintendo products because the difficulty in these games is a perfect example of fair challenge done right.

This is an easier game than Returns and by no means is it ridiculous. I have no doubt that these same reviewers would have gone on tirades about the Bat-Rocket barrel level if they'd reviewed it. In terms of your enjoyment, if you did all of that in Returns than you're going to love this game.

Just played up to Sawmill Thrill. Good god, this game is amazing.

I was enjoying analog control but switched back to digital when my finger 'automatically holding Y at all times' caused me to keep dismounting from Rambi. Digital control is great too, I just like analog for swimming. Really hope we get a patch to switch on the fly.

Top Bottom