• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Neiteio

Got home from the party last night and set the WiiU back up so I could start this game. It's absolutely marvelous! I was concerned DK might be "heavier" but as soon as I started moving it was clear he's never been more fluid and responsive. I've 100% World 1 and half of World 2, and then some people were watching so I plowed through the rest of World 2 and half of World 3 to showcase the game. I still need to go back and 100% Worlds 2 and 3.

Question about Mountain Mania:
Where is the secret exit?
And while I'm on this topic:
I found the secret exit at the end of Twilight Terror, but it looked like there was another one halfway through, during the rocket barrel section?

EDIT: Actually, regarding Mountain Mania, that path leading off of it is probably the K-level, isn't it?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Got home from the party last night and set the WiiU back up so I could start this game. It's absolutely marvelous! I was concerned DK might be "heavier" but as soon as I started moving it was clear he's never been more fluid and responsive. I've 100% World 1 and half of World 2, and then some people were watching so I plowed through the rest of World 2 and half of World 3 to showcase the game. I still need to go back and 100% Worlds 2 and 3.

Question about Mountain Mania:
Where is the secret exit?
And while I'm on this topic:
I found the secret exit at the end of Twilight Terror, but it looked like there was another one halfway through, during the rocket barrel section?

There is no MM Secret Exit, that path's towards the Temple.

In Twilight, you need to bring Dixie or Cranky, and when you see that portal, move upwards and travel in to it. Then you need to use Dixie or Cranky to jump up on a platform, and you'll find the second secret exist.

Neiteio

There is no MM Secret Exit, that path's towards the Temple.

In Twilight, you need to bring Dixie or Cranky, and when you see that portal, move upwards and travel in to it. Then you need to use Dixie or Cranky to jump up on a platform, and you'll find the second secret exist.
Oh, excellent! Thanks. :)

Linkyn

I have a question - does collecting the KONG letters in hardmode make any difference (eg does the emblem in the top left corner / circle on the map have a different color) or should I just not go out of my way to risk killing myself?

Edit: As an aside, what character(s) are you using for the hardmode? Oh, and nevermind, I just found out myself.
(It does make a difference)

Salih

Big Top Bop (World 1: Boss)

nWZjwtY.gif

One of the concept art pieces I unlocked detailed a bonus room set up like a snowball fight against the Snowmads, makes me wonder if at one stage they did consider the unique bonus rooms approach.

Hard mode is the greatest little unlock, I mean it's nothing against Donkey himself and his purer challenge but across Returns and this game i've seen all the little nuances in how he moves and such so these other three being usable is fun just for how they move alone. The way Cranky smashes the end of stage barrel with a two handed cane thrust, the way Dixie's hair quickly twirls when you start moving again after a ground pound, I probably shouldn't be marking out for stuff like this but I just can't help it, they don't have to same sense of heavy weight as Donkey either landing much more softly due to their size and feeling a touch springier even though I'm sure they all control the same.

The first run through the game always had that certain something sitting on the back of my mind, that being coming from Returns and having seen its various set pieces a lot of my first trip across Tropical Freeze's islands had me waiting on those big moments which may have had me understate the quality of certain stages that weren't so immediately explosive, now heading back through them again I think i'm enjoying it even more.

Neiteio

I'm only a couple worlds in, going slowly (been busy this weekend -- I anticipate only being able to chip away at this game each night), but I wanted to comment on the subject of animal buddies:

I'd really like to see more of them in the next game -- something the game's producer mentioned in an interview. This game is perfectly fine without them, but I'm sure they could craft many clever stages around a series of mechanically reworked animal buddies.

Enguarde stages could function like an underwater version of Rambi stages -- full-speed ahead, faster than Diddy or Dixie could make you move, and plowing through more obstacles than Cranky ever could.

Squawks could be playable in some stages, flapping up and down, like a slower rocket barrel you steer in all directions (rather than moving relentlessly forward). He could also spit eggs again (or were they coconuts).

Squitter could now have a wall-climbing feature, and they could design the stages accordingly, allowing you to run up walls. He could also produce web platforms -- similar in spirit to the original, but they would of course redesign it to make sense with the momentum-minded focus of Retro's take on the series.

And that's the key thing -- when picturing animal buddies in Retro's games, DON'T picture Rare's animal buddies. They can be the same characters, but they can be reworked mechanically to fit with the feel and flow of Retro's series. The animal buddies can absolutely work, and they can diversify the gameplay while maintaining the series' sense of forward momentum. They would just be redesigned a bit, much like how Retro reworked Diddy and Dixie.

A third Retro DKC, with unique bonus rooms, animal buddies, and the return of the Kremlings, would be a great follow-up to this. :)

I need a wall climbing Squitter in my life, and I wouldn't say no to Retro making their own buddies, they've certainly earned the right to add to the collection.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'd really like to see more of them in the next game -- something the game's producer mentioned in an interview. This game is perfectly fine without them, but I'm sure they could craft many clever stages around a series of mechanically reworked animal buddies.

I'm more in the school of thought that the series in many ways does need them as they help gift the formula unique qualities not present in Nintendo's other platformers. They're not perfect, but "animal buddies" is a staple of the Donkey Kong Country series, and as much as I loved Returns and am loving Tropical Freeze, I do think it's a bit regressive that Retro limited them to just Rambi and following a fairly strict design.

I think the more Donkey Kong Country tries to differentiate itself from other Nintendo platforms just with physics, weight, and aesthetics the less it actually does so in the long run. It needs to do as much as possible, as not only is it healthy for diversity, but possible as it's been there since the beginning.

Additionally, again even though I'm loving the game, I'm not really fond of the buddy system here either. At the moment playing solo Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky operate as basic Mario-like power-ups for Donkey Kong. Returning to the buddy swap mechanic I think would benefit Retro's series in the long run.

In the grand scheme of things it's a triviality: as long as the game feels like a DKC overall, and the design quality is high, it's not a big deal. But it is something I've noted since Returns, and not a decision from Retro I've agreed with.

Yuterald

Aw man, 2-3 was the first truly impressive level for me. That sound/stage integration. Inside the "house" part, the music there with the stage/prop assets, etc. Probably my favorite track in the game so far. This is getting closer to what I was looking for.

Er...so this game is a bit good.

Only disappointment is the fact I can't use the gamepad for audio whilst playing off my tv.

Just read my mind. I got a new pair of cool headphones for gaming too and I can't use 'em for this game while I play on my TV. Oh well.

Neiteio

Aw man, 2-3 was the first truly impressive level for me. That sound/stage integration. Inside the "house" part, the music there with the stage/prop assets, etc. Probably my favorite track in the game so far. This is getting closer to what I was looking for.
Is 2-3 the stage Horn Top Hop? With the giant saxophone at the end? Gorgeous level, and wonderful music, but this is one case where the dynamic sound design interferes with the melody since it changes too much from one stretch to the next. Now you hear the melody... Now you don't! Now you hear the melody... Now you don't! It keeps fluctuating back and forth, adding and subtracting elements from the music. The one possible "blemish" on the otherwise immaculate sound design.

On another note, Cranky is definitely my favorite Kong buddy. I didn't think they could make bouncing off baddies more satisfying than DK's KERPLUNK, but Cranky's pogo stick feels so powerful. :)

Yuterald

Is 2-3 the stage Horn Top Hop? With the giant saxophone at the end? Gorgeous level, and wonderful music, but this is one case where the dynamic sound design interferes with the melody since it changes too much from one stretch to the next. Now you hear the melody... Now you don't! Now you hear the melody... Now you don't! It keeps fluctuating back and forth, adding and subtracting elements from the music. The one possible "blemish" on the otherwise immaculate sound design.

On another note, Cranky is definitely my favorite Kong buddy. I didn't think they could make bouncing off baddies more satisfying than DK's KERPLUNK, but Cranky's pogo stick feels so powerful. :)

Yeah, I don't know, I was digging it! The part at the end inside the saxophone was really foreboding. Now, I just got done Sawmill Thrill for the first time and the music got mega serious, which was exactly what I was looking for, hah!

aett

Gotta love the Best Buy 20% off points cards. The game has been downloading for a while now and I'm anxious to start playing.

atbigelow

Just finished world 6 a couple hours ago. Only have an 86% completion rate right now. Autumn Heights was my favorite world, with world 4 being my least.

All the music is good. All of it. Probably one of the best soundtracks I've heard. Lord Wise didn't let me down. I ended up turning the sound effects to 50% and cranking up the speakers so I could get even more musical wonder.

I hope Wise works with Retro again. Don't care what it is. Could be fucking Donkey Kong again. Doesn't matter.

Kureransu

Ok, you guys have convinced me to turn this game back on now (in the middle of an episode of House Cards). Going to try and get the KONG letters in world one. Question, and I apologize if it's been answered before, but what is the DK logo for next to the symbols for KONG and puzzle pieces collected?

DSmalls84

This game is fantastic. Just got to world 4 and the music is an awesome throwback to DKC! I may be in the minority but I'm happy retro got tasked with another DKC over Metroid. Loved this series since I played it on SNES.

Also decided to grab a Pro Controller and order the extended battery. Definitely preferring the Pro Controller over the gamepad for this so far.

DirtyLarry

Ok, you guys have convinced me to turn this game back on now (in the middle of an episode of House Cards). Going to try and get the KONG letters in world one. Question, and I apologize if it's been answered before, but what is the DK logo for next to the symbols for KONG and puzzle pieces collected?
I can answer this as I asked it yesterday and someone answered me.
It is for the time trials, and will be the color of the medal you get (Gold, Silver, Bronze).

Maybe it's because I've only played co-op with a 9 year old but boy do we suck balls at this game. We're struggling through world 2 at the moment and don't seem to have any sense of teamwork. I find it frustrating the way that if one of you goes a little ahead, the other gets warped to them. I think Nintendo really missed a trick with the gamepad for local co-op. If they had made the U powerful enough to do it, it would be great to be able to play co-op where you don't get warped if one of you is a little behind - same goes for 3D World also.

Having said that, the game is great and I think I'll enjoy it even more when I get some time to put some solid single player sessions in.

Am I the only one here playing with the wii remote and nunchuck? I loved that setup in Returns and I love it here. I'm not a big fan of motion controls but Retro's DKC games feel so good to me with them, the ground pounding in particular!

Okay, underwater sections are okay when they're, well, a section of a level. But a whole level? That's overkill, especially because the controls are sloppy.

Oh god world 4 is all water levels isn't it? :(

100% obtained, Hard mode Dixie and Cranky Kong mode unlocked!
The lack of checkpoints will do my nut but never mind that, I can now witness all of the unique animations for partner Kongs that are criminally unavailable outside of multiplayer otherwise, Dixie Kong is the best (though Cranky is probably the most fun).

Cranky was necessary for me in the water levels and world 5 and 6 bosses. He really earns his spot in the final boss though. Give it a try and be as reckless as possible with your hit attempts ;)

Neiteio

Okay, underwater sections are okay when they're, well, a section of a level. But a whole level? That's overkill, especially because the controls are sloppy.

Oh god world 4 is all water levels isn't it? :(
I'm not there yet, but I know from looking ahead that it's a mix -- some land sections, a lot of underwater sections, some levels that are (nearly) all underwater, a mine cart stage, a level that's nearly all land, etc.

Note that with Cranky Kong, you can swat aside underwater obstacles, while Diddy and Dixie can give you sustained forward thrust.

I like the underwater controls. They're silky smooth. Maybe they'll grow on you. :)

Mlatador

Banned
Am I the only one here playing with the wii remote and nunchuck? I loved that setup in Returns and I love it here. I'm not a big fan of motion controls but Retro's DKC games feel so good to me with them, the ground pounding in particular!

You not alone. I prefer that, too. It's super responsive and just plain fun. I also like the nunchucks octagonal analog stick better than the one on the Wii U Gamepad or Wii U Pro Controller.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants

I've been playing Wii Remote + Nunchuk. Works better than the Gamepad for me. It has not hindered my play either. Slowly getting Shiny Golds.

jnWake

A few minutes ago I was 3rd in 1-3. That level is a pain to speedrun, I still can't get the timing right to not lose Cranky, but I got a bit lucky in my run haha.

Mlatador

Banned
This is my second shiny gold, in 1-2 Shipwreck Shore. At the moment, I'm the 6th in the world ranking!

1-2 Shipwreck Shore

Fucking amazing. You're also 5th in 1 - 1, right? (I'm just 125th, lol). Getting good times is so hard. 5 seconds difference is literally 100+ places difference worldwide.

I think I'm gonna finish the game first an then try to get good times in every level. I've spend way too much time in 1 - 1 doing time trials.

Top Bottom