• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Marjar

Banned
Okay, underwater sections are okay when they're, well, a section of a level. But a whole level? That's overkill, especially because the controls are sloppy.

Oh god world 4 is all water levels isn't it? :(

Yeah world 4 is pretty awful. I'm not a fan of the underwater levels at all, especially due to the controls. It really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Zing

Banned
Fucking amazing. You're also 5th in 1 - 1, right? (I'm just 125th, lol). Getting good times is so hard. 5 seconds difference is literally 100+ places difference worldwide.
It reminds me of:
12732126714_5a9ee807a8_z.jpg

I hate the underwater levels.

hate hate hate

-Press jump for a short, more controllable burst of speed via a breast stroke

-Briefly letting off the stick and jamming in a direction will reorient DK in that direction

-Momentum can be cancelled by pressing the opposite direction. This includes corkscrews and breast strokes

Hope that helps

-Press jump for a short, more controllable burst of speed via a breast stroke

-Briefly letting off the stick and jamming in a direction will reorient DK in that direction

-Momentum can be cancelled by pressing the opposite direction. This includes corkscrews and breast strokes

Hope that helps
I think my main problem with the controls is that I can't be as versatile as I am on land. I feel really constricted, especially by the stuff they throw at the player.

retro what were you thinking

Up to World 6 now. I love (love) how varied the stages are thematically and gameplay wise. Incredibly diverse. I love how diverse the levels within a world feel yet at the same time they feel thematically linked. As always, Retro is at their absolute best when it comes to environment art.

Kureransu

I can answer this as I asked it yesterday and someone answered me.
It is for the time trials, and will be the color of the medal you get (Gold, Silver, Bronze).

Thanks!

Well I managed to unlock 1-K. I've not played a donkey kong since the original diddy kong's quest. So 1-K put it on me. Hadn't charged the game pad since friday, so my session had to come to an end a bit earlier than I anticipated. I'll tell you what though, I was ok with the music before, but hearing it in game makes it that much stronger. I really am enjoying this soundtrack!

Marjar

Banned
Maybe it's not so much the swimming but just the levels themselves.

That's one thing I've noticed, there seems to be a lot more trial and error in this game. Whenever I died in DKCR, I felt like it was fair. In this game, there have been a handful of times where I'd die and feel like there was no way for me to see a certain hazard coming.

I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Are you guys kidding? These are probably the best swimming controls in any game ever. Sloppy my ass.
I loved every water section in this game and had no problems with the controls, only complain is fucking DK bouncing back when hitting a wall. Rayman Legends controlled a little better but overall this game is the freaking best platform I've played in years right after Galaxy 2.
I didn't feel ANY trial & error at all, Returns instead was full of it.

Rehynn

I loved every water section in this game and had no problems with the controls, only complain is fucking DK bouncing back when hitting a wall. Rayman Legends controlled a little better but overall this game is the freaking best platform I've played in years right after Galaxy 2.

I'm currently at 4-boss and have yet to witness a trial & error / memorization sequence.

Haines

Banned

So agreed. I'm using analog on tablet and controls are perfect.

Kinsei

Banned
I have found exactly 1 instance of trial and error in the entire game.
At the beginning of 7-3 there is a barrel that you jump in but have to wait for a platform to show up from off screen before shooting. There are no hints that you're supposed to wait.

Coolwhip

Banned
I love the minecart levels. The one in world 4 is mental and awesome. Id buy a game with just minecart level. Id might break a few controllers and tvs then though.

botty

Banned
I have found exactly 1 instance of trial and error in the entire game.
At the beginning of 7-3 there is a barrel that you jump in but have to wait for a platform to show up from off screen before shooting. There are no hints that you're supposed to wait.

The same could be said for parts of
meltdown mayhem.

- Regarding Swimming
The way DK moves underwater has similar nuances to himself on the ground in a sense, you have still have strong control over how he moves yet you still have that Ape factor in the equation where you have a sense of weight to the character and you have to get into gear with this. DK doesn't turn on a dime like Rayman who by comparison almost flutters through the water, DK animates his bigger turns and makes movement and attacks in a burst fashion as opposed to a full flowing one. On top of this much like if DK jumps into a wall he'll bounce off it, the same rules apply underwater so spiralling into a wall has DK react accordingly, this is possibly the biggest quirk to get used to as pretty much all other platforming characters can freely grind against walls with no consequence so to speak.
I think the water levels are okay but they really love those currents, almost too much.

- Trial and Error
I felt like some rocket and cart stages took advantage of that extra hit to throw more sudden hazards at the player, still evadable but with a smaller window of time to notice.
Outside of this I don't recall much that goes up against some of Returns more noticeable low blows like the cannon platforms of tippy shippy, learning how the giant bat attacks and that one fire dragon in Hot Rocket.
Still Tropical Freeze seems to really run with the quick action sections Returns employs where you're given brief warnings and small windows in which to move yourself before the environment comes crashing down *late game spoilers*
Meltdown Mayhem being possibly the most twitch reaction heavy of them all in the main game but that's what I loved about it
. Observation really is key, banana trails can clue you in on advance hazards as they have done since the SNES games and the scenery itself is often the biggest hint of all.
Not sure if there's anything truly trial and error where you could never see death coming until it strikes (I like to use Mega Man 2's Heat Man blocks as my measurement for this sort of thing) but as I said some of these "heads up" moments are incredibly brief and even sometimes try to trick you into rushing head first into danger, dare I say the game has moments where it likely expects you to die, I guess that can be trial and error depending on how you define it.

Rehynn

- Regarding Swimming
The way DK moves underwater has similar nuances to himself on the ground in a sense, you have still have strong control over how he moves yet you still have that Ape factor in the equation where you have a sense of weight to the character and you have to get into gear with this. DK doesn't turn on a dime like Rayman who by comparison almost flutters through the water, DK animates his bigger turns and makes movement and attacks in a burst fashion as opposed to a full flowing one. On top of this much like if DK jumps into a wall he'll bounce off it, the same rules apply underwater so spiralling into a wall has DK react accordingly, this is possibly the biggest quirk to get used to as pretty much all other platforming characters can freely grind against walls with no consequence so to speak.
I think the water levels are okay but they really love those currents, almost too much.

Ha, I was gonna write the same thing. Rayman pretty much has zero weight to him, whereas the DKCR games are all about weight and momentum.

ohlawd

yeah, the swimming controls you'll have to get used to. Again with that weight. You think DK weighs like 10 pounds? Dude is buff.

no instant turn bullshit here. This is not bad design btw.

Deku Tree

Water levels are some of my favorite. Love the controls.

Want to complain about the controls? The controls in the rocket barrel levels are atrocious.

Neiteio

I'm loving the figurines. Best non-gameplay-related bonus you can unlock in a videogame. Really makes me appreciate the Snowmads, too. The penguins in particular have a neat texture (shader?) for their plumage that you don't notice during gameplay; you can see it by rotating their figurines and watching the sheen of light. :)

andymcc

Banned
i downloaded this because i had like $40 worth the eshop credit left over from cards I got from XMAS.

holy shit is this the slowest stuff ever.

I'm loving the figurines. Best non-gameplay-related bonus you can unlock in a videogame. Really makes me appreciate the Snowmads, too. The penguins in particular have a neat texture (shader?) for their plumage that you don't notice during gameplay; you can see it by rotating their figurines and watching the sheen of light. :)

Have you checked out the fur on the Arctic Hares yet? they look pretty spiffy.
I've got most of the figures now, more importantly I have all the bosses which means I have Skowl the Startling in all his glory.

Sorry, but no they are not. The rocket barrels especially control flawlessly. You hold A to ascend, and you let go to descend, you tap A to keep level. They could not be more simple or precise.

Why are you apologizing? I'd rather have two different buttons for ascending and descending. Would give me more control.

psychotron

On world 5 now. This game has moments that really test your patience, especially when checkpoints are so spread out on a few levels. Then a level like Jelly Jamboree comes along and has me smiling like I'm a kid again. The soundtrack is pure audio bliss.

ASIS

Why are you apologizing? I'd rather have two different buttons for ascending and descending. Would give me more control.

Just to chime in and say I'd rather not have Rocket Barrel levels at all. Now to leave this thread because this is getting dangerous :p

Kinsei

Banned

My favorite part abut the figurines is learning the names of all the different Snowmads. I think Chum Chucker Charlie may be the best name for an enemy ever. I also love the fact that the old hare that throws bombs is called Harold.

Deku Tree

Sorry, but no they are not. The rocket barrels especially control flawlessly. You hold A to ascend, and you let go to descend, you tap A to keep level. They could not be more simple or precise.

We gotta agree to disagree.

Just to chime in and say I'd rather not have Rocket Barrel levels at all. Now to leave this thread because this is getting dangerous :p

My soul-mate!

Yup.

Neiteio

Have you checked out the fur on the Arctic Hares yet? they look pretty spiffy.
I've got most of the figures now, more importantly I have all the bosses which means I have Skowl the Startling in all his glory.
Of the arctic hares, I only have Fluff, the most basic bunny. I do have Skowl, though. Oh man, Skowl looks awesome. A shiny gold star to whoever designed that character!

I sure am glad some of you don't work at Retro. There are things to criticize this game over but controls simply are not one of them. It's fine if you don't like them, but gamers need to own up to their own deficiencies of completing certain tasks instead of blaming it on developers.

the rocket levels are generally well-executed, but they're still the worst levels in both respective games. They could all disappear in a giant black hole of weird gaming distractions in otherwise great cohesive games and most people wouldn't miss them, I imagine

There's always that tinge of disappointment when you start a stage and then see the rocket barrel sitting there, "hey were you looking forward to some platforming? well tough shit, now get your ape arse in here".

the rocket levels are generally well-executed, but they're still the worst levels in both respective games. They could all disappear in a giant black hole of weird gaming distractions in otherwise great cohesive games and most people wouldn't miss them, I imagine

Most people wouldn't. I would... I just finished
5-2
and it might be my favorite level in the entire series, barring anything from that point until the end of the game overtaking it.

ohlawd

two separate buttons, good luck. I'd take triggers on opposite sides like L and R instead.

I only have one right thumb. Those rocket levels aren't so forgiving that switching between A or B for example is plenty of time, it really isn't.

Neiteio

the rocket levels are generally well-executed, but they're still the worst levels in both respective games
Yeah, the rocket barrel levels have the least player agency in that they're the levels where you're most expected to follow a very specific route. There are branching paths, of course -- go straight to take the easy route, or dip low to snag a puzzle piece, at your own peril! -- but each path is so narrow that there's not much room for error. Of course, this is a big part of what makes them so thrilling, because you always feel like you're narrowly avoiding a crash... I suppose they're a good a way to mix things up every few levels, not unlike the mine cart levels.

I sure am glad some of you don't work at Retro. There are things to criticize this game over but controls simply are not one of them. It's fine if you don't like them, but gamers need to own up to their own deficiencies of completing certain tasks instead of blaming it on developers.

I'm very grateful to know where you think I should and shouldn't work. Yeah, sure, I'm terrible at the game, but that doesn't mean the controls for the rocket barrel and water levels couldn't be tighter. It's an opinion, man.

I agree with ViewtifulJC on this--for what they are, the Rocket levels are pretty good, but I really don't I'd miss them at all. When you consider that the games already have an on-rails obstacle course gameplay style in the far superior Minecart stages the Rocket Barrel levels feel even more unnecessary.

Top Bottom