• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Anyone know how to get a certain puzzle piece early on in 6-4? It seems to involve two spinning circles of bananas. It's the last stage I need for 100% puzzle pieces... :l

edit - also is there a way to spoiler tag an image on here? There's a particular image I unlocked for getting 200% that I would like to share.

psychotron

This game delivers.

ZFHhhOx.jpg

DoxB0aV.jpg

Lunar15

I really wish there was just a SNES controller configuration.

Everything on Y except Jumping.

Nunchuck and Wii Remote is the only way to go. For some reason, it's the most comfortable layout. It's a shame people never got into the waggle-to-roll, but I completely understand it. I was lucky enough to not get bothered by it.

phanphare

Banned
man, I just beat the 3rd world boss and am two levels into the 4th. this game is shaping up to be something pretty special imo

on a scale from delivery to digiorno this game delivers!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sawmill Thrill was the first gaming experience that made me smile with joy since Mario Galaxy 2. Just amazing.

And David Wise is a genius. The music is phenomenal.

Frolow

Banned
Can't wait until I get back from vacation so I can seriously play through the game, only was able to get through world 1 before I left.

rabhw

Does anyone have tips for getting the super bounce on enemies consistent, 100% of the time? I know you can press and hold jump very early, which works 99.9% of the time, but seemingly randomly, I won't get a super bounce, for no reason at all.

This is regarding 2-K. Infuriating nailing the first 50 jumps using the exact method I described above and having the game not give me a super bounce for no reason.

Is there something I'm missing? I know it's not my inputs, I'm pressing jump the exact same way every time, its very frustrating not getting a consistent output.

No checkpoints in the K levels is also fairly stupid. I don't care how amazing the level design is, playing the first 90% of a level repeatedly is idiotic.

The game is amazing, I am just raging due to the above reasons. Please understand.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
the ending sequence and music shift in 2-3 is one of the best moments of any game I've played

oh yes, that change of atmosphere is phenomenal. David the Wise still got it, damn, and better than ever. It's also one very long level, took me about fifteen minutes (I'm no rusher though). Absolutely delicious gaming

Does anyone have tips for getting the super bounce on enemies consistent, 100% of the time? I know you can press and hold jump very early, which works 99.9% of the time, but seemingly randomly, I won't get a super bounce, for no reason at all.

This is regarding 2-K. Infuriating nailing the first 50 jumps using the exact method I described above and having the game not give me a super bounce for no reason.

Is there something I'm missing? I know it's not my inputs, I'm pressing jump the exact same way every time, its very frustrating not getting a consistent output.

No checkpoints in the K levels is also fairly stupid. I don't care how amazing the level design is, playing the first 90% of a level repeatedly is idiotic.

The game is amazing, I am just raging due to the above reasons. Please understand.

All you's gotta do is tap the jump button right as you're about to land on an enemy. It's really that easy.

RomanceDawn

Yea just make sure you press jump just before you hit the enemy. Despite 100%ing Returns it took 2k to remind me exactly how to do it again. It's that easy. The jump is, not 2k, 2k is the devil in Nintendo form.

Busaiku

Seriously, I was enjoying the game so much until World 4, but those stupid water levels. 4-K was also really annoying with its color scheme.

World 4 Boss Spoiler

Who the fuck thought an underwater boss would be a good idea?

DKC3 had one! (It was worse than the one here, believe it or not).

I'd like to just state my everlasting love for World 6, particularly 6-6. I took some screenshots but didn't upload them properly so I'll have to go back. But holy shit. So far, 6-6 is my favorite level in this game. Everything about that level just clicked together. Absolutely stunning.

Also, I think it's very cool that each numbered level in World 6 is based off that respective world in DKCR. That's an EXCELLENT touch.

I really wish there was just a SNES controller configuration.

Everything on Y except Jumping.

I'd like that, too. Ground pound and pull should be on a separate button, as should partner engage/disengage. But I'm halfway into world three and still having problems with the controls. It's partially because I'm also playing Rayman Legends on PS4 but partially because it's just not as intuitive as the SNES games (or Mario or Rayman).

Super pretty game, though. I'm just feeling bitchy because it's SO close to being what it should be (a broadly appealing classic) and does so many things right. But man, the things it's gets wrong are SUPER frustrating.

atbigelow

Finally checked out the time trial stuff. Never got into it in DKCR but boy is it quite fun. Watched the record for 1-1 and was impressed by the precision. Can only get silver for right now, but soon...

My impressions have softened and I'm enjoying the game, thanks to the Dpad control method.

I'm midway through World 3 now, the game has brilliant moments and highly infuriating moments (3-1 = brilliant, World 2 boss = highly infuriating).

The music is God-tier and I'm hoping Nintendo gives away the soundtrack as a Platinum CN reward. It'd be such a waste to not do something more, with such stellar music...

...it is Nintendo, so I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Incredible game, but for fuck's sake having roll and ground pound mapped to the same button made for some infuriating experiences.

Now onto hard mode...

Muzy72

Banned
At the World 6 boss. Am I crazy or (World 6 spoilers)
is every level in World 6 based off of the worlds in DKC Returns?

Linkyn

At the World 6 boss. Am I crazy or (World 6 spoilers)
is every level in World 6 based off of the worlds in DKC Returns?

World 6 is DK Island (the overworld for DKCR and home to the Kong family). Every level in World 6 is located where a world was in DKCR, and the theme comes naturally with it.

Could you even do it with a stick? I'm in the middle of World 3 and its taking all of my Willpower not to go buy a pro controller. I'd love to actually hold one before spending $50 though.

I'm playing with a Pro controller but I've been using the stick. I think SMB may have broken me when it comes to analog vs d-pad for platformers. I keep wanting to try out d-pad but the stick really works well and feels comfortable for me.

You can in Hard Mode.

Whaaat?! I didn't know. That's awesome.

Ansatz

So i guess everyone is playing it the superior way?

D-Pad

I started out with the gamepad but I quickly changed to the Wiimote sideways setup, it just feels more natural. Shake to roll works flawlessly and the physical feedback is satisfying in the same way shake to spin in Galaxy feels so good compared to a button press.

Het_Nkik

How do you unlock Dioramas? I unlocked them for the first three worlds, seemingly by completing all levels (including secret) in those worlds, but I did that for the other worlds as well yet didn't get any dioramas.

Whaddup with that?

Man, I really wish they would (world 3 spoilers)
have set Bramble Scramble at night and used the Stickerbush Symphony remix :l
How do you unlock Dioramas? I unlocked them for the first three worlds, seemingly by completing all levels (including secret) in those worlds, but I did that for the other worlds as well yet didn't get any dioramas.

Whaddup with that?

I think you need to get all puzzle pieces in the K level.

Blues1990

I've just starting playing the game today, as I got my copy as a gift from a friend. And....

Perhaps I've been burned out from platforming games, but after finishing the first two islands, nothing seems to be clicking with me. Which I feel bad for saying, as everything about the game feels well-put together & the soundtrack is brilliant.

Maybe I just need to let it sink in, but I'm hoping the game will pick-up soon.

Glass Joe

I've just starting playing the game today, as I got my copy as a gift from a friend. And....

Perhaps I've been burned out from platforming games, but after finishing the first two islands, nothing seems to be clicking with me. Which I feel bad for saying, as everything about the game feels well-put together & the soundtrack is brilliant.

Maybe I just need to let it sink in, but I'm hoping the game will pick-up soon.

I felt similarly, but I do feel it has picked up. I'm toward the end and am really liking the challenge.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I really would honestly like to see Retro release a DLC pack or something that just consisted of Mine Cart levels, because they're pretty nifty.

Or, honestly, I'd love to see someone make a game that's all high-concept Mine Cart courses. Can't really think of a game that's like that, would make a great Indie title.

Part of me feels bad that I played through most of the game today. It's so good that there was just no stopping it. I'm done for the night, having just finished 6-3. The music in 6-1 and 6-2 just felt like an amazing encore after a day filled with the brilliant soundtrack. I have the sound effects set to 40. Really excited to finish it up tomorrow and go after the K stages, though I wish it would never end. I hope there's another silhouette and mine cart stage in World 6 as I'd be sad to see the game end without another of each.

So far this feels like the best 2D platformer Nintendo has put out in a long, long time. The theming and level design are absolutely top notch and the soundtrack is probably my favorite in years.

Are the leaderboards are set up pretty well? Looking forward to some competitive time trial action.

I beat all of world 1 and the first few stages of world 2. This game is pretty great. Retro's ability to mix presentation, art, and dynamic level design is unmatched. Even the early levels aren't so piss easy that you could sleepwalk through them. Unlike recent Mario games, the first world was still engaging.

The art and backgrounds are so alive, and I understand there are fans of the music here. I really like the enemies so far, particularly the penguins and that seal boss in the half pipe. Dixie and Cranky seem fun and balanced with Diddy.

The only thing I wish they didn't add were secret exits. I always liked that the KONG letters were bonus platforming challenges in plain view and the puzzle pieces were for those who want to explore. That was enough. Secret exits in general disrupt the flow of how I want to playthrough levels.

Other than that, this is a great game. I wonder how EAD proper and EAD Tokyo feel having their platformer dev skills completely upstaged.

Wii Tank

This might just be my favorite platformer of all time. I can't remember the last time I was this happy with a game. The soundtrack, the levels, the difficulty, everything is just perfect.

atr0cious

Who do I ask on twitter to get the OST on disc? Vinyl would be preferred. Fear Factory! Just the general church bell theme, so good.

gotoadgo

3-1 is possibly my favourite level in any platformer. Ever. The music and actual platforming is near perfect and it was a visual treat. So good. 2-K was also an amazing level with precise jumping all the way through, I loved it!

Also, to those saying world 2 boss was hard, I one shot that dude :p

Finished the game earlier today and I cannot agree that any of the bosses need checkpoints, in fact... the entire game IMO is spaced perfectly with checkpoints. Retro knows how to space chunks of a game out, they always have. The Phazon Mines were fine.

Top Bottom