• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

There's always that tinge of disappointment when you start a stage and then see the rocket barrel sitting there, "hey were you looking forward to some platforming? well tough shit, now get your ape arse in here".

Yeah, that's always the worst, that "oh...ok I guess :/" feeling when you you do a little platforming and then "lol jk rocket barrel time"

Neiteio

Yeah, that's always the worst, that "oh...ok I guess :/" feeling when you you do a little platforming and then "lol jk rocket barrel time"
Ha, this is especially true of Twilight Terror, which lures you in with a beautiful Bramble Blast remix and ambient tiki torches at night... only to drop a rocket barrel.

To be fair, though, the spectacle in that rocket barrel level is excellent.
Sea monsters
!!

jwhit28

CREDITS SPOILER

Does anyone have a link to the version of Stickerbrush Symphony that plays in the 2nd half of the credits?

Ha, this is especially true of Twilight Terror, which lures you in with a beautiful Bramble Blast remix and ambient tiki torches at night... only to drop a rocket barrel.

The fact that they put that great Bramble Blast remix in a single stage you will mostly never hear is true cruelty.

Linkyn

I really don't mind the rocket barrel levels that much. It's true that they're more about reflexes than anything else, but I really enjoy the game trying to throw as much as possible in my face to distract me from actual obstacles.

Speaking of music and rocket barrels i'm a bit gutted that among the many remixes of Returns main rocket barrel theme there wasn't one remix for the alternative one used in Mole Patrol and Lift off Launch, I always preferred that one.

leng jai

I thought I was bad at Mario but this... lost count of how many times I rolled to my death accidentally in the first world. Funnily enough the boss was the easiest thing I've come across so far.

Speaking of music and rocket barrels i'm a bit gutted that among the many remixes of Returns main rocket barrel theme there wasn't one remix for the alternative one used in Mole Patrol and Lift off Launch, I always preferred that one.

I actually preferred that one too. The descending minor tetra scale melody in the main one is one of the most overused melodies in the history of music. Personally I always think of Hit the Road Jack when I hear it.

andymcc

Banned
seriously guys, less than 1 GB in over an hour. is there any conceivable way to fix Wii U settings to not suck ass on the eshop.

Stoze

I sure am glad some of you don't work at Retro. There are things to criticize this game over but controls simply are not one of them. It's fine if you don't like them, but gamers need to own up to their own deficiencies of completing certain tasks instead of blaming it on developers.

You're silly. Controls are always something that can be criticized, because we are the ones controlling the games and we are allowed to criticize them.

Also Retro is infamous for having iffy control schemes with annoyingly not enough options to change them how you want. It's easy to find examples of it because they've done it with every game in the past.

Just finished World 1. Already better than DCKR, no joke. Wow... Just wow. I was so surprised and excited when I learned that
the music for Busted Bayou was a remix of Hot-Head Bop.
Cannot wait to head into World 2 tomorrow!

Yuterald

I take back anything negative/off I said about this game earlier about not having an atmosphere, etc. Up to 3-3 now...WOW. The soundtrack went from "this is okay..." to "get out of here". I thought the game peaked at Autumn Heights, but now I'm in the Savannah and I can't deal with the burning forest stage music, the dancing bananas on the fire coal, etc. Music is in full force real deal mode right now. Probably my early GOTY, at the moment.

Lunar15

People were saying the water levels were tough, but honestly I think they were a few of my favorite levels in the whole game so far!

jwhit28

People were saying the water levels were tough, but honestly I think they were a few of my favorite levels in the whole game so far!

I liked Sea Breeze Cove the most besides Bright Savannah. The music might have had the most to do with that though.

You're silly. Controls are always something that can be criticized, because we are the ones controlling the games and we are allowed to criticize them.

Also Retro is infamous for having iffy control schemes with annoyingly not enough options to change them how you want. It's easy to find examples of it because they've done it with every game in the past.

I see it differently. Since we are the one's controlling the game, maybe we should be critiquing ourselves as much as the developer. In the case of Retro's DK games, the controls work. It's fine if you don't like them, but calling them "bad" when the vast majority of the time it is the gamer's inability to adapt to the control scheme is really annoying. And in general, Retro's controls, while different than most games, are far from iffy, with the exception of some of the non pointer motion controls in Corruption.

seriously guys, less than 1 GB in over an hour. is there any conceivable way to fix Wii U settings to not suck ass on the eshop.

I downloaded the whole thing in less than 90 minutes Friday night (Verizon Fios 50 mbit).

I think Nintendo's servers just don't connect properly to some ISPs (FiOS has a similar issue going on with netflix right now, everything else is super fast but netflix has been slow on most FiOS customers for months now).

You could try messing with your DNS settings in the Wii U Connection Settings, and setting OpenDNS or Google DNS in place of your ISP DNS server, it might affect how your traffic is routed. Other than that I don't think there's much that can be done, unless it's a wifi connection issue -- you could try getting the Wii/Wii U Ethernet adapter and using it instead.

atbigelow

I got awful eshop times prior to moving my console closer to my hotspot. TF took about 2 hours to download back on Friday, which I felt pretty good about.

Stoze

I see it differently. Since we are the one's controlling the game, maybe we should be critiquing ourselves as much as the developer.

That's obvious and goes without saying. People come here to talk about games and critique them, to just shrug off opinions or complaints about gaming controls on an online gaming forum is asinine. Sure, it's possible someone might get upset and they're mistaking their own failures as problems with the controls, but that doesn't mean you should completely invalidate their opinion or all opinions similar to it.

In the case of Retro's DK games, the controls work. It's fine if you don't like them, but calling them "bad" when the vast majority of the time it is the gamer's inability to adapt to the control scheme is really annoying.

DCKR 1's controls did not work fine, because using waggle as a means of maintaining Donkey's momentum through rolls was a pretty poor choice in my opinion, as well as many others. I still think the game controlled well overall though. I also don't think there is a large amount of people calling the controls flat out bad and ignoring their own platforming abilities.

And in general, Retro's controls, while different than most games, are far from iffy, with the exception of some of the non pointer motion controls in Corruption.

I like the controls for the prime games, and I agree they are different, but there's many times I found actions pretty unintuitive because of the control layout. This is why it falls on Retro for not giving more flexible control options to players. This has been a constant criticism for all their previous games.

Neiteio

Can someone give me detailed steps for how to take a 720p screenshot in Miiverse? Do I need an account at an image-hosting website or something?

andymcc

Banned
I downloaded the whole thing in less than 90 minutes Friday night (Verizon Fios 50 mbit).

I think Nintendo's servers just don't connect properly to some ISPs (FiOS has a similar issue going on with netflix right now, everything else is super fast but netflix has been slow on most FiOS customers for months now).

You could try messing with your DNS settings in the Wii U Connection Settings, and setting OpenDNS or Google DNS in place of your ISP DNS server, it might affect how your traffic is routed. Other than that I don't think there's much that can be done, unless it's a wifi connection issue -- you could try getting the Wii/Wii U Ethernet adapter and using it instead.

yep, i just set the DMZ settings on my router and fixed the IP settings in the Wii-U... still shitty. don't have any issues like this at all on PSN/360...

popyea

Bought it this morning, loving it so far. How does one unlock the extra levels in world 1? I'm talking about the ones you can see, but are greyed out. Is it collecting KONG letters or is it these secret exits I've read about?

Isotope

Can someone give me detailed steps for how to take a 720p screenshot in Miiverse? Do I need an account at an image-hosting website or something?

I don't think the Miverse screens are 720p (Not too sure), but I just upload my images through the internet browser This is what I do:

1) Push the Home button while you are in a game that you would like to take a screenshot of.

2) Use the internet browser and go to a website to upload the pic(s). I use abload.

3) Upload the screenshot from the TV (You will have the option to upload from either the Gamepad or the TV itself)

Hope this helped.

Neiteio

I don't think the Miverse screens are 720p (Not too sure), but I just upload my images through the internet browser This is what I do:

1) Push the Home button while you are in a game that you would like to take a screenshot of.

2) Use the internet browser and go to a website to upload the pic(s). I use abload.

3) Upload the screenshot from the TV (You will have the option to upload from either the Gamepad or the TV itself)

Hope this helped.
Ah, this is what I'm talking about. But if I upload from my TV to abload and want to post it on GAF, does this mean I have to post on GAF through my WiiU's internet browser, as well? I don't have an abload account (if such things even exist) -- I've always just used them on an as-needed basis, so I'm not sure how I'd access what I upload on my WiiU from my PC,

weepy

Just got the game, but I promised myself I wouldn't play it until I beat DKCR and right now Gears Getaway is kicking my ass. Any tips?

atr0cious

Ah, this is what I'm talking about. But if I upload from my TV to abload and want to post it on GAF, does this mean I have to post on GAF through my WiiU's internet browser, as well? I don't have an abload account (if such things even exist) -- I've always just used them on an as-needed basis, so I'm not sure how I'd access what I upload on my WiiU from my PC,
You can always email the BBCode link it generates to yourself through the browser. And abload doesn't need an account, so you can post a screen and then even hop back in game for another screen if you want. Just keep abload bookmarked.

Isotope

Nah, you don't need an account to upload to abload. Best to keep it bookmarked because, IIRC, it doesn't compress images when you upload them. And yes, you would have to post on GAF through the Internet Browser if you upload an image from the Wii U via abload, or any image hosting website.

And like atr0cious, you could email yourself the BBCode.

maxcriden

Just got the game, but I promised myself I wouldn't play it until I beat DKCR and right now Gears Getaway is kicking my ass. Any tips?

Are you playing DKCR or DKCR 3D? I guess with the rocket barrel levels it probably doesn't matter though. Gear Getaway is actually one of my favorite levels in that game. I would be very patient, especially after the checkpoint (I think there is a checkpoint...) and just try to watch the patterns. Medium speed, steady button presses are your friend. Also, I should warn you (mild spoilers):
this is not the last, or necessarily hardest, rocket barrel level in the game.
Good luck amigo, you can do it!

Top Bottom