• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Now we(or most of us) wait...

tumblr_mf711vHUIx1s0qwlko1_500.gif

hwy_61

Banned
Amazon locker is great. Love it since it is hard to wait at home for deliveries. You can also try to get deliveries at work I guess.

With the scumbags I work with? Nah. I have no problems getting it at home, I just have a ritual whenever I buy a game from a B&M. I open it in the car haha

ohlawd

The game I'm mostly looking forward to in February.

5/10 and 7/10 tho. No way Retro dropped the ball in level design based on the vids I've seen. If the game's getting slammed for game breaking glitches or other technical shit, sure, but if the controls are solid (hell, they should be better than Returns Wii and on par with the 3DS port since it's all buttons) and you die then that's on you, buddy. If the level design did drop in quality, then fuck :(

Dl07

Neo Member
If anyone missed it, here's a good video of someone from Kotaku playing the game.

It covers 2-2 through about the end of world 5, so it shows off a good chunk of the game. The game looks fantastic, imo, and certainly seems up to DKCR's bar.

The video is also notable because the guy playing is very bad at the game, which is no problem, except for the fact he takes no accountability for his lack of skill and blames the game design in an amusing way. Start watching at about 4:17:00 if you like seeing people rage at games.

He got so frustrated, it was hilarious. Thanks for sharing that.

5/10 and 7/10 tho. No way Retro dropped the ball in level design based on the vids I've seen. If the game's getting slammed for game breaking glitches or other technical shit, sure, but if the controls are solid (hell, they should be better than Returns Wii and on par with the 3DS port since it's all buttons) and you die then that's on you, buddy. If the level design did drop in quality, then fuck :(

I'm guessing the level design will be on par with Returns, some seem to think it's better but it could be because it's a new fresh game.

However, I think the variety seems better from what I have seen people say.

Returns was near perfect but it seemed an iteration like the first Donkey Kong Country.

It had easily better level design I thought but the worlds weren't too crazy.

This one looks crazy in the themes.

My Wii U has been broken for a few months and I waited (procrastinated, more like) on sending it in until this week, so it looks like I won't be playing it until next week, unfortunately.

I love the music, it's phenomenal, although I have 2 gripes:

1. Sometimes it's overpowering to the action
2. The "old favorite" on the first page isn't nearly as good as the original.

The rest, just amazing.

David Wise should be doing music for more Nintendo games.

ohlawd

I'm guessing the level design will be on par with Returns, some seem to think it's better but it could be because it's a new fresh game.

However, I think the variety seems better from what I have seen people say.

Returns was near perfect but it seemed an iteration like the first Donkey Kong Country.

It had easily better level design I thought but the worlds weren't too crazy.

This one looks crazy in the themes.

mhmm yep. Can't wait for Friday and just see for myself.

Edge gave the original a 7. If the quality of the level design has plummeted, then there's no way they'd give its sequel a 7 too.

My guess is it's just as good as the first, with nicer visuals and a better soundtrack. Perhaps that's just not enough for some.

Mlatador

Banned

5/10 and 7/10 tho.

EDGE gave DKC:R a 7/10 as well back in the day, just for reference. And that 5/10 from Gamespot is a fucking joke, lol! :) The guy reviewing it was downright hating it because it was "too hard". I won't give a single fuck about his opinion because he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Kinsei

Banned
Edit: I decided that this post is better served for the review topic when it goes up on Monday.

On topic: I'm getting the urge to replay DKCR even though I beat it for the 15th time 2 weeks ago. Heres hoping Tropical Freeze is just as addictive.

Shinta

Banned
Oh, ok, I think I got those 2 confused.

WOOW, that first sentence in the gamespot preview... *facepalm*

Jesus, the entire first paragraph is disastrous.

"To say that I was disappointed when Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was announced would diminish just how deflating that reveal was. Retro Studios--the creative mastermind behind the extraordinary Metroid Prime--should not churn out something so disposable. The shackles inherent to sequel development seemed to have stifled any potential for brilliance, and it was a waste to have such prodigious talent used in that manner"

So ... let's get Metroid Prime 4, because a 2nd DK game is too many sequels ....

/why

"I want the innovators to take charge, the people who won't play by the rules, who would rather die with ambition than thrive playing it safe"

I think he just said he wants Retro to go out of business.

Didn't DKCR get some oddball low reviews because of 'difficulty' and such?

7/10 sounds like the low end of the spectrum for this game. I expect 8's and 9's across the board, for the majority anyway.

Super excited for Friday. In case anyone is wanting a decent deal, Toys R Us is doing a $10 Gift Card on release day with the purchase of DKC:TR. Have to go in-store though.

Yeah an 86% from ONM sounds low.

Round up:

+ Wonderfully touchy-feely
+ Beautiful to look at, better to listen to
- Old ideas feel like a safety blanket

Score: 86%

More here:

The review appears to praise developer Retro Studios for it’s work on the game’s visuals, soundtrack and interactive, dynamic environments. However they aren’t too fond of the fact that one of the game’s six islands consists so heavily on swimming stages nor the familiarity in some of its ideas.

Saw this at some board about their review^^^

Deku Tree

Round up:

More here:

The review appears to praise developer Retro Studios for it’s work on the game’s visuals, soundtrack and interactive, dynamic environments. However they aren’t too fond of the fact that one of the game’s six islands consists so heavily on swimming stages nor the familiarity in some of its ideas.

Love it. The rest probably implies lack of taste.

EDGE gave DKC:R a 7/10 as well back in the day, just for reference. And that 5/10 from Gamespot is a fucking joke, lol! :) The guy reviewing it was downright hating it because it was "too hard". I won't give a single fuck about his opinion because he doesn't know what he is talking about.
You have neither read the full review nor played the actual game. Take your blind, seething, baseless rage elsewhere.

Round up:

More here:

Wondering what they mean when they say 'old ideas'. But sounds like a great review, anyway.

Initially, I was really hoping this would bring some really creative levels and ideas to the table. Now though, I am more open to playing something that just offers some really challenging levels but without doing anything a whole lot differently to Returns.

Waiting for more reviews before I make a decision.

Wondering what they mean when they say 'old ideas'. But sounds like a great review, anyway.

Initially, I was really hoping this would bring some really creative levels and ideas to the table. Now though, I am more open to playing something that just offers some really challenging levels but without doing anything a whole lot differently to Returns.

Waiting for more reviews before I make a decision.

You know, there is tons of footage out there. Better to see if the levels are as creative through your own eyes rather than base your purchase off the opinions of a reviewer.

Great title! I'm so excited for this game Friday can't come fast enough! I've been listening to the music from the trailer they showed at the Nintendo Direct the other day for a few days now. This is gonna be awesome!

Top Bottom