• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Sendou

I find it weird that Nintendo already has Reviews Trailer up for the game when the majority of reviews are still under embargo. With GameSpot quote included no less.

People shouldn't be too concerned about reviews. Maybe someone wants to make a statement with their score but it doesn't change anything. Largely it is known what to expect from this title.

By god, listening to some of the pieces of the soundtrack... I can't believe that in 2014 we still get a high profile game with such a soundtrack, so devoid of the usual trappings of either "massive epic orchestra hollywood wannabe pomp" or "8 bit retro"

This is properly amazing. It's how I wanted videogame music to evolve back when the switch to CD sound was made, to have gameplay driven compositions that actually build upon the stuff and styles that have been created for video game machines and their technical limitations.

Hey I will freely admit to be amongst those that hated the reveal. I would've preferred Retro to do anything other, but man, the recent gameplay videos and the music... there is so much love in this, that I can't help but throw my cynicism over board and jump in.

Thank you Retro and thank you David Wise. I might not have known how much I wanted this game half a year ago, but I'm glad that there are still people in this industry that actually make games and soundtracks like this.

Honestly I'd much prefer that over another prime.

Really? That would be such a waste of Wii Us power. I want to see a deep atmospheric Metroid title which brings the console to its limit, that is simply not possible in simple 2D and 2.5D art style. That would be such a huge, huge waste....

Sendou

If Retro is indeed working on another Wii U game. I think this is very much questionable at this point. Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see them start working on Metroid Prime 4 or whatever for Wii U's successor and helping EAD a bit with some odd project there and there. Metroid Prime 3 -> Donkey Kong Country Returns took them 3 and half years. Where would Wii U be in 2017?

Or maybe they could realize that 2D Metroid on 3DS or the next handheld by Nintendo? That would actually be pretty neat.

Drago

I don't think I'm gonna be able to get to this until a week or two after launch... the wait will be painful. :(

So excited though. DKCR is one of my all time favorite 2d plats.

If Retro is indeed working on another Wii U game. I think this is very much questionable at this point. Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see them start working on Metroid Prime 4 or whatever for Wii U's successor and helping EAD a bit with some odd project there and there. Metroid Prime 3 -> Donkey Kong Country Returns took them 3 and half years. Where would Wii U be in 2017?

Or maybe they could realize that 2D Metroid on 3DS or the next handheld by Nintendo? That would actually be pretty neat.

That's because they were working on other things before the mass exodus at Retro. They had to regroup from that and decide what direction to go in. And then of course this time around they were busy with Mario Kart 7 and helping out Monster with DKCR3D. I really wish everyone would just leave them alone so we could get a game from them every 2 to 2.5 years instead of 3+.

Sendou

That's because they were working on other things before the mass exodus at Retro. They had to regroup from that and decide what direction to go in. And then of course this time around they were busy with Mario Kart 7 and helping out Monster with DKCR3D. I really wish everyone would just leave them alone so we could get a game from them every 2 to 2.5 years instead of 3+.

Even if they were super fast and could have a game for Wii U in early 2016 (which I really doubt) I have to wonder if this is the best approach.

Also don't overestimate how much effort Mario Kart 7 and DKCR3D took from them.

Even if they were super fast and could have a game for Wii U in early 2016 (which I really doubt) I have to wonder if this is the best approach.

Also don't overestimate how much effort Mario Kart 7 and DKCR3D took from them.

Mario Kart 7 was a collaboration in every sense of the word according to the Iwata Asks.

kunonabi

Really? That would be such a waste of Wii Us power. I want to see a deep atmospheric Metroid title which brings the console to its limit, that is simply not possible in simple 2D and 2.5D art style. That would be such a huge, huge waste....

I didn't like Prime 2 or 3 so I couldn't care less about the crazy visuals a prime 4 would have. I'd personally prefer an a behind the back third person game myself.

emb

Honestly I'd much prefer that over another prime.
I second this.

I love Prime, but honestly love Super and Zero Mission a lot more. 2D visuals can be impressive and exciting, they don't have to be simple. I don't know how well Retro would handle it, but I feel like we've seen them play their hand at Prime. It's very nice, but I'd rather see their take on a different style of Metroid.

Does anyone know what Monster Games developed? I had no idea they were involved

1998 – Viper Racing (PC)
2000 – NASCAR Heat (PC)
2001 – NASCAR Heat 2002 (PlayStation 2, Xbox)
2002 – NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (GameCube, PlayStation 2)
2004 – Test Drive: Eve of Destruction (PlayStation 2, Xbox)
2006 – Excite Truck (Wii)
2009 – Excitebots: Trick Racing (Wii)
2009 – Excitebike: World Rally (WiiWare)
2011 – Pilotwings Resort (Nintendo 3DS)[1]
2013 – Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (Nintendo 3DS)[2]
2014 – Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)[3]

ameleco

1998 – Viper Racing (PC)
2000 – NASCAR Heat (PC)
2001 – NASCAR Heat 2002 (PlayStation 2, Xbox)
2002 – NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (GameCube, PlayStation 2)
2004 – Test Drive: Eve of Destruction (PlayStation 2, Xbox)
2006 – Excite Truck (Wii)
2009 – Excitebots: Trick Racing (Wii)
2009 – Excitebike: World Rally (WiiWare)
2011 – Pilotwings Resort (Nintendo 3DS)[1]
2013 – Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (Nintendo 3DS)[2]
2014 – Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)[3]

Er, my bad haha. I guess I misworded the question. I meant what parts of TF did they work on? Anyone have an idea? I only know they developed the excite series.

Of course now you that posted this list, it's also weird that hey worked on the port for 3DS. Maybe they're good at the cart levels or something?

Er, my bad haha. I guess I misworded the question. I meant what parts of TF did they work on? Anyone have an idea? I only know they developed the excite series.

Of course now you that posted this list, it's also weird that hey worked on the port for 3DS. Maybe they're good at the cart levels or something?

Well, the 3DS version of Returns had an extra world with a whole set of levels and I assume Monster Games did them and most people thought they were good.

Dad

I think it's possible that they're being groomed to work on the next DKC title while Retro moves on to other projects. The special world they added in DKCR3D was pretty cool, so that might not be a terrible thing.

ameleco

Well, the 3DS version of Returns had an extra world with a whole set of levels and I assume Monster Games did them and most people thought they were good.

I think it's possible that they're being groomed to work on the next DKC title while Retro moves on to other projects. The special world they added in DKCR3D was pretty cool, so that might not be a terrible thing.

Ah, yeah. That actually makes a lot of sense. I could get behind that. Especially if it means freeing up retro for other projects :)

Weird question I know, but if I hated 3DWorld, do you think by default Id hate this one? Haven't played a DK game since snes

No, I don't think hating that game would make you hate a game like this.

Do you like expertly crafted 2D platformers???

If you do, you should check this one out.

I thought 3D World was almost flawless for what it is but I expect to like this game better easily.

Id like to see Retro try there hand at a 2D Metroid game. Maybe as a small downloadable title that would serve as a prequel to the next mainline Metroid game. But I also want more Donkey Kong games out of them so I think the solution is for Retro to expand and form 2 teams.

BY2K

Membero Americo
TLTnESi.jpg

Brought to you by Nintendo.

Gsnap

I think the Snowmads are great. They have a lot of character and are way better than the tikis.

Are they better than the kremlings? I think so. Not significantly, but they have more detail and more variety.

MrBadger

How does everyone feel about the Snowmads? I think they're better than the Kremlings, except Kutlass, nothing can top Kutlass.

Other than a select few in DKC2 and the big man King K Rool himself, I never really found the Kremlings that interesting as bad guys. For me, the Snowmads top them. I love the penguin ones especially

577px-Viking_Art2_-_Donkey_Kong_Country_Tropical_Freeze.png

Deku Tree

would you even want the rare of today to make this? how many rare staff who worked on the originals still work at the company?

I think that retro is a great successor.

No way. Let Rare stick to kinect whatever. I'll take a Retro masterpiece.

rawktapus

How does everyone feel about the Snowmads? I think they're better than the Kremlings, except Kutlass, nothing can top Kutlass.

Yeah, the only time I felt the Kremlings were interesting as baddies were DKC2. Crocodilian pirates gave them a cool uniting theme, and K. Rool was at his most interesting. Otherwise, the snowmads have that same uniting element, and the cold theme is a great contrast to DK and his buddies' tropical association.

Top Bottom