• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

After finishing up World 2 today I was afraid I'd be let down after absolutely loving the owls and the overall theme there....then we played 3-1....fucking awesome haha

This game is gorgeous and engaging.

gotoadgo

I really would honestly like to see Retro release a DLC pack or something that just consisted of Mine Cart levels, because they're pretty nifty.

Or, honestly, I'd love to see someone make a game that's all high-concept Mine Cart courses. Can't really think of a game that's like that, would make a great Indie title.
I wish they'd do a DLC full of K level style stages.

Conezays

For those who've played both, how do you feel DK compares to Mario 3D world? Personally, I prefer DK (especially as it's more challenging, to me at least).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I think 2D and 3D platformers are sort of hard to compare. 3D World was an amazing game, and this seems to be one as well (only started a little bit yesterday).

This game defintely feels a bit more straight to the action. 3D World was kind of slow starter tbh.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I wish they'd do a DLC full of K level style stages.

I'd also like to see character-specific DLC, like levels that restrict you to Diddy, Dixie, or Cranky on their own and it's all about using their abilities extremely precisely.

gotoadgo

For those who've played both, how do you feel DK compares to Mario 3D world? Personally, I prefer DK (especially as it's more challenging, to me at least).
Hard choice as they're very different games, but I think DK takes it. VERY close though, both are god tier in their respective genres.

Ansatz

In terms of score I can see DKC TF beating out 3D World (10 vs 9.5) but in the end I prefer Japanese charm and crazyness when it comes to presentation; character grunts (meow meow!!), cats, cakes, goomba suit (lol!!), huge water monster dinosaur thing and so on.

I think TF proves Retro can take on any genre and that they still got it, I'm no longer concerned due to key personnel loss.

Neiteio

OK, I've 100% the first two worlds. Still have 3-A, 3-B and 3-K before that world's done.

SPECIAL REQUEST: Can someone record the #1 global speed runs for Windmill Hills (2-1), Horn Top Hop (2-3) and Bopopolis (2-K), and upload them to YouTube? They're simply incredible. :-O

dock

I can't believe you have all managed to sell me on a Donkey Kong Country game. I had zero interest in this pre-launch.

I skipped the Wii game and have done my fair share of DKC bashing because of the characters, and the simplicity of the first game.

My copy should arrive this week.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just had the game lock up completely after beating a level :/ had to get up and hold the power button down on the console

Marjar

Banned

3D World for me. I just like 3D platformers more, and actually being able to play as different characters adds a lot to 3D World. I like its soundtrack more as well.

TF is still pretty damn great though.

leroidys

I can't believe you have all managed to sell me on a Donkey Kong Country game. I had zero interest in this pre-launch.

I skipped the Wii game and have done my fair share of DKC bashing because of the characters, and the simplicity of the first game.

My copy should arrive this week.

I don't like the original trilogy and thought returns was OK, but I'm loving this game so far.

World 4 (where I'm at) is not as great as the previous 3 though.

Beat your 1-1 time, BroBuzz ;)

btw does anyone know how to do the quick barrel throw for time trials? In replays I see guys basically roll through DK barrels and still manage to break them without losing speed.

Kadin

Does it play any better if you have the digital download on the internal memory versus an ext usb drive? That's where it's stored right now and there's a good bit of stuttering with regards to loading into new levels and the main menu. Not game breaking but pretty annoying.

Coolwhip

Banned
I really would honestly like to see Retro release a DLC pack or something that just consisted of Mine Cart levels, because they're pretty nifty.

Or, honestly, I'd love to see someone make a game that's all high-concept Mine Cart courses. Can't really think of a game that's like that, would make a great Indie title.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I would love DLC minecart levels. I doubt they will do it though.

MLH

Well, I found the Windmill Hills speed run online -- just WOW!

Beautiful.

I find it hilarious that the GameSpot reviewer said, and I quote:
"It's all a bit stop and start. Platforms and enemies are laid out in odd ways, making it difficult to establish the sort of smooth, free-flowing rhythm that makes the best 2D platformers such a blast." - Mark Walton

This game is designed perfectly for quick, free flowing speed runs. He should be embarrassed.

Coolwhip

Banned
Beautiful.

I find it hilarious that the GameSpot reviewer said, and I quote:
"It's all a bit stop and start. Platforms and enemies are laid out in odd ways, making it difficult to establish the sort of smooth, free-flowing rhythm that makes the best 2D platformers such a blast." - Mark Walton

This game is designed perfectly for quick, free flowing speed runs. He should be embarrassed.

He should be yes. But hey, they needed to clickbait or everyone just goes to IGN.

Well, I found the Windmill Hills speed run online -- just WOW!

It's astonishing how the levels are seemingly designed for slow-paced play at first glance, with a near-constant stream of small interactions, but are rather built specifically to facilitate face melting speed runs - a type of play that 99% of players will never engage in. Especially in levels with so many moving parts (basically all of them lol), I can't imagine how difficult it must be to sync up that many moving parts. The windmills in that video are a great example. Despite being so dynamic and chaotic, everything somehow lines up perfectly. Speed running a DKCR/TF level is like parting the Red Sea.

Retro are gods.

Think this may have been done, but here's a comparison between some of the E3 press shots and the final game, using the browser screenshot feature. Overall, the lighting, effects, and colours are better. There are some other things like missing or changed geometry and slightly different textures, too.

pDjoLjfK2IdE

XdC18AoyzjQr

upUGfy7vbm2T

o004nmXQlRSM

niYX3CiAdPKZ

V1tm2HJ3SIId

zepXrqSmD0Pw

M7tJ7RQeb0Vu

RfStYIO7bF2H

F1qBxNfH2zxj

Yy3JKcO2kpPO

xBlvTl6kIspP

ew6FzANM9hI0

qzEHZyw60jQc

Mohonky

Really not sure on this game. Something isnt clicking with me. The lack of an air attack despite having a ground one confuses me a lot and has caused me to take a lot of hits.

The main thing is, is there no run button? Or can I hold down roll?

Also the roll is a bit off putting as I have gone off many a ledge now trying to simply use the ground pound but ended up rolling instead.

Might be worth pointing out this is the first ever DKC game I haver ever played.

Glass Joe

Really not sure on this game. Something isnt clicking with me. The lack of an air attack despite having a ground one confuses me a lot and has caused me to take a lot of hits.

Also the roll is a bit off putting as I have gone off many a ledge now trying to simply use the ground pound but ended up rolling instead.

Might be worth pointing out this is the first ever DKC game I haver ever played.

If you're using d-pad controls, hold down Y for run. If you're using analog, I think the stick does it all (not sure though, 'cause I only used digital).

6-5 is fucking brutal
I don't get this part of the level:

Everything's on springs. Trigger them to bounce off. Zl/Zr. Remember to grab when necessary.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, they've completely outdone themselves. Every complaint I had with DKCR has been addressed and then some. Great music is integral to a game like this and waggle is a killer. I'm having so much fun here.

MLH

I had similar frustrations with DKCR on 3DS, the controls do feel weird at first, they will click, you just need to learn the mechanics of DK.

The ground pound is pretty useless, it's only for discovering secrets and flipping tiles, just make sure you're not holding a direction when you want to ground pound.

Jumping on enemies is the usual way to kill them, you can also roll into enemies (yeah going against gaming instincts).

You can gain more air when bouncing off enemies by tapping the jump button when you land on the enemy, timing is key.

You can also roll off ledges and then jump mid air to get distance.

Tapping the roll button when you have a partner (Diddy, Dixie of Cranky) you can do an infinite roll (It also allows you to skip across the water), useful for speed runs, but not much else.

The digital manual is really useful with how to play tips.

Honestly, Tropical Freeze doesn't do the best job at introducing new players to the mechanics IMO, DKCR did a better job with the early level design in showing players how to roll jump with the KONG letter placements.

Glass Joe

I beat it earlier tonight, feeling accomplished! Still plenty to do though. Part of me wishes there was a longer main quest, while the other part appreciates how truly unique each stage is.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
this game is great. it seems to improve over DKCR on many fields, from the OST to the graphics, from the richness of the levels to their variety, from offtv to better less waggy controls...it suffers from the deja-vu effect being a direct sequel, as Prime2 did imho, but still...it's gorgeous and entertaining as few other games are, imho.

I think that DKC from Retro deserves a Trilogy, as it was for Metroid.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
ibrne4qlQOfMQF.jpg

Xtortion and Thorax confirmed cheaters :p

very impressive runs guys!

Things are already heating up nicely in 1-K. And 2-1 was a beauty for the eye

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, the music is just perfect. It's helped further realize how boring and tepid the soundtrack in DKCR really was. It actually detracted from the game. Same problem with the NSMB series. TP is just so good on that front.

Glass Joe

Why is there no demo? Wow, Nintendo.

"Wow?" I'm not sure I can even think of a Wii U demo for a 1st party Nintendo game, so that's hardly a shocker. Wish they would of course, but no surprise. Oh, I guess Wonderful 101 if that counts, but that sure didn't help sell the game.

Top Bottom