• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Glass Joe

ibrne4qlQOfMQF.jpg

Xtortion and Thorax confirmed cheaters :p

very impressive runs guys!

Things are already heating up nicely in 1-K. And 2-1 was a beauty for the eye

Hmm that big ol' blank space on the bottom left of the screen shot sure would be a decent place for the game to display which level the leaderboard is referring to.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm that big ol' blank space on the bottom left of the screen shot sure would be a decent place for the game to display which level the leaderboard is referring to.

yeah, didn't notice until now. It's 1-1

So awesome that you can watch other people's run. Well played, Retro.

Glass Joe

The last boss fight is horrible.
It's long
It's slow
There's no way to gain any hearts during the fight (correct me if I'm wrong)
Meh.

Robin's right. If you throw the minor enemies into each other, that may happen too. I suppose discussing strategy could be spoilery so I'll tag more:
Also, you can visit Funky's shop to get a 3rd heart (it won't go away when you die unless you exit the stage). If you happen to have a full buddy meter with Dixie, you can get some gold hearts when he shoots the enemies you have to throw too.

I didn't know that about Cranky, that would be very helpful too! I did notice you can throw and hit him with two enemies if you have it lined up right and the 2nd enemy already knocked over.

Zing

Banned
My copy is out for delivery now, thanks to Amazon waiting until release day to ship and Nintendo releasing games on friday. Initially, I didn't care about the delay because I was still deep into Bravely Default, but I am ready for some action now.

Glass Joe

Third part of the fight is pure frustration. Come on, retro. These bossfights are way too long.

I sorta thought that when frustrated, but in hindsight I'm glad they didn't add checkpoints ot the boss battles. The tension brings a sense of accomplishment. Heck it could be worse, just think about almost any NES game that would have you re-do a hard stage (or a game over!) only to get to the boss with a sliver of health and be doomed. The boss is very possible, you're probably dying when he has one or two hits left like I did about 20 times!

Kinsei

Banned
The person who was supposed to train me for my new job called in sick today so it has been postponed until Thursday. That sucks, but on the bright side it means more time for DK today!

I got 100% last night so it is time for me to tackle hard mode. I plan on beating every level with every Kong. Wish me luck.

The person who was supposed to train me for my new job called in sick today so it has been postponed until Thursday. That sucks, but on the bright side it means more time for DK today!

I got 100% last night so it is time for me to tackle hard mode. I plan on beating every level with every Kong. Wish me luck.

It'll be smooth sailing until world 4. Good luck!

phanphare

Banned
I think that DKC from Retro deserves a Trilogy, as it was for Metroid.

yeah Tropical Freeze has really resonated with me. Returns was awesome but it didn't get to me like this one. at this point all I want from Retro is another Donkey Kong game. for their third game they could leave Donkey Kong out and have Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky all be playable. then they could add a few more animal buddies and keep up the amazing level design and that's a game right there.

I sorta thought that when frustrated, but in hindsight I'm glad they didn't add checkpoints ot the boss battles. The tension brings a sense of accomplishment. Heck it could be worse, just think about almost any NES game that would have you re-do a hard stage (or a game over!) only to get to the boss with a sliver of health and be doomed. The boss is very possible, you're probably dying when he has one or two hits left like I did about 20 times!

Yep, one or two hits left.
he's just too fast. Sometimes I get hit by his "crown"(?) and I don't know why because I did a perfect jump. Hmm...and those ice birds.
Argh, will try again later.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
YES, please. I guess we just need a trilogy at this point.

yeah Tropical Freeze has really resonated with me. Returns was awesome but it didn't get to me like this one. at this point all I want from Retro is another Donkey Kong game. for their third game they could leave Donkey Kong out and have Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky all be playable. then they could add a few more animal buddies and keep up the amazing level design and that's a game right there.

good to not be the only one on this!
I'd like: more animal companions, more hybrid camera segments (2d-3d) even keeping DKC a 2d sidescroller for the most part.

matthwq

Banned
Is it possible to play TF with the wiiU pro controller?

Yup. It's great, the only way I play.

I'm finding the puzzle pieces in one try in world 3 -- maybe I'm just learning the developer's tricks/thought process behind the puzzle pieces or something, but it took me a few run throughs pretty much every level pre-world 3 to find all the puzzle pieces. :/

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Beat your 1-1 time, BroBuzz ;)

btw does anyone know how to do the quick barrel throw for time trials? In replays I see guys basically roll through DK barrels and still manage to break them without losing speed.
The best way is jump into the barrel, grab it before you hit the ground and then start rolling. The second you hit the ground, DK will smash the barrel into the ground and the buddy hours right to your back allowing you to infinitely roll right away. An alternative is the pick the barrel up just after till jumping and release right away.

phanphare

Banned
Is it possible to play TF with the wiiU pro controller?

not only is it possible I would highly recommend it. I love the gamepad but something about this game makes it not so comfortable to use. maybe because I'm white-knuckling the damn thing so hard. but yeah the pro controller is the way to go

Morts

It's a huge bummer for me that you can't change your character in single player, and even more so that in 2-player someone always has to be Donkey Kong. Also, in some difficult sections my girlfriend won't tag back in until I'm through, but if I die the game still subtracts two lives from the pool. Seems cheap.

Those quibbles aside I'm quite pleased with the game. Not having shake to roll is a godsend, and the level variety is awesome. Such a departure from ever Mario game having desert/snow/fire worlds. Actually, the first few levels of World 2 gave me a Banjo-Kazooie vibe.

Pila

good to not be the only one on this!
I'd like: more animal companions, more hybrid camera segments (2d-3d) even keeping DKC a 2d sidescroller for the most part.
I'd love old school barrels. Do you remember the way they worked in the SNES games? That was good. Pretty good.

jnWake

Beat your 1-1 time, BroBuzz ;)

btw does anyone know how to do the quick barrel throw for time trials? In replays I see guys basically roll through DK barrels and still manage to break them without losing speed.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but if you roll and then press the grab and jump button simultaneously you'll jump and grab the barrel at the same time. I think you can also grab and drop the barrel just before landing a jump by quickly pressing the grab button in the air, so you can get your buddy between drops.

I've been trying to speed run Busted Bayou with Dixie. I reached rank 10 yesterday, everyone uses Cranky there but I have a pretty good strat with Dixie, probably not going to reach WR but it's nice to use a different strat than everybody else.

We should make a TT community or something!

EDIT: I sent a few friend requests. Hope you guys don't mind :p

Glass Joe

Yep, one or two hits left.
he's just too fast. Sometimes I get hit by his "crown"(?) and I don't know why because I did a perfect jump. Hmm...and those ice birds.
Argh, will try again later.

Those birds are more stressful than challenging.
The Ice Dragons he shoots horizontally, right? It's because it happens so late and you don't know what to expect. But just stay far away and there's only two things to do. Either duck or jump over them. But yeah, when he's moving fast at the end, he can be a pain to hit.

And crap, I didn't realize there was a NeoGAF spreadsheet for the time attack. I just put my info there (JJAwiiu), so any active player can feel free to add me!

Those birds are more stressful than challenging.
The Ice Dragons he shoots horizontally, right? It's because it happens so late and you don't know what to expect. But just stay far away and there's only two things to do. Either duck or jump over them. But yeah, when he's moving fast at the end, he can be a pain to hit.

And crap, I didn't realize there was a NeoGAF spreadsheet for the time attack. I just put my info there (JJAwiiu), so any active player can feel free to add me!

Yeah that's definitely the worst part of the fight. I'll add you ;)

traveler

Not Wario
Most annoying KONG letter: 5-4's G. Could never figure out how to get it without hitting the spikes right next to it.

How DO you do this? I've been stuck on this for a while and can't figure out. Doing a run with only DK, btw; I do see how you could get it with Dixie, but I assume there's a way with just DK given that there wouldn't be a way to clear it hard mode without.

69wpm

I friend of mine just posted on Miiverse, that there are coming different sounds out of the GamePad than the tv. Can anyone confirm? I just got the game and will play it later today but with the CCP instead of the GamePad.

Playing through it right now. Really beautiful game. My one complaint is that DK's controls feel really slow and heavy. I beat DKCR returns all the way through and I don't remember it being like that. So far it seems like this game relies a lot more on the second Kong to help DK out constantly throughout the levels. A bit annoying, honestly.

Robin64

I friend of mine just posted on Miiverse, that there are coming different sounds out of the GamePad than the tv. Can anyone confirm? I just got the game and will play it later today but with the CCP instead of the GamePad.

A couple of minor sounds, like a bop when you bounce on an enemy and a noise when you collect things.

Playing through it right now. Really beautiful game. My one complaint is that DK's controls feel really slow and heavy. I beat DKCR returns all the way through and I don't remember it being like that. So far it seems like this game relies a lot more on the second Kong to help DK out constantly throughout the levels. A bit annoying, honestly.

I haven't played DKCR in a while but I remember DK feeling almost identical to how he does now. When I have a run where I'm doing well and keep a companion with me through a few levels straight it can feel a little jarring to go back to just DK, like I need a couple minutes to really acclimate to how to play with just him again.

Anyone else?

Linkyn

How DO you do this? I've been stuck on this for a while and can't figure out. Doing a run with only DK, btw; I do see how you could get it with Dixie, but I assume there's a way with just DK given that there wouldn't be a way to clear it hard mode without.

You need to rolljump off the second rotating platform and try to pass through in between the spiky ball above and the spikes below.

Jethro

You need to rolljump off the second rotating platform and try to pass through in between the spiky ball above and the spikes below.

I just jumped on the third platform and did a rolljump from there. If the timing is right you roll over the G Letter and then jump to the right.

Top Bottom