• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, is anyone still using the classic Nunchuk Set-up + Waggle Rolling?

I still can't believe people deemed the original Returns "unplayable" and demanded a patch for the motion controls, Waggle Rolling has become second-nature to me and I can't imagine going back to the old button roll. Waggle Rolling gives me the greatest pleasure and really helps me feel like I'm Donkey Kong. I feel powerful when I do a great roll jump, such an amazing feeling.

Timeaisis

Wow, the music in this game is phenomenal. Halfway through World 3, still have most of the bonus levels to open up.

Busted Bayou music is so good.

Burnburn

I still can't believe people deemed the original Returns "unplayable" and demanded a patch for the motion controls, Waggle Rolling has become second-nature to me and I can't imagine going back to the old button roll. Waggle Rolling gives me the greatest pleasure and really helps me feel like I'm Donkey Kong. I feel powerful when I do a great roll jump, such an amazing feeling.

Yup playing non-waggle just felt wrong, I just can't get used to the button controls. But after speedrunning a level for 1-2 hours I'm thinking of biting the bullet and switch to the pro controller. It's really tiring on my arms.

traveler

Not Wario
You need to rolljump off the second rotating platform and try to pass through in between the spiky ball above and the spikes below.

Thanks. I actually got it right after I went back to trying after asking before even looking at responses after 10 failures in a row before asking. Funny how these things work out.

Liking World 5, but I do dislike how platformers, this one included, tend to escalate difficulty by slowing things down with tons of obstacles rather than forcing you to play fast and precise. (To be fair, plenty of the game provides challenge that forces you to adapt the more enjoyable playstyle- especially the K levels. It just seems like the machinery laden World 5 has asked a less enjoyable, more deliberate pace of the player) I'm sure there's a fast run in here if I actually perfect a time trial run of the level, though, instead of just playing it normally while trying to get all the KONG/puzzle stuff.

JoeM86

Managed to clear 2-K. Thankfully I have the timing right now so may come back and get the puzzle pieces if I want another aneurysm :p

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

I played Remote/Nunchuck through to the start of world 4, but then I off-screen played some of the earlier worlds while watching TV to pick up some puzzle pieces and really began to appreciate the button controls. You still kinda get the frenetic feeling of pounding things by alternating between X and Y with your thumb, and dedicated roll button is starting to feel really nice, especially when it comes to swimming, where the shake-to-dash was not as responsive as I wanted it to be. I think I'll probably use the GamePad for the rest of the game. (No point in pro controller, it doesn't have a speaker for the little remote sounds!)

ALSO, let me thank whoever mentioned earlier that you can guarantee a "high bounce" off an enemy by pressing and holding the jump button at ANY point in the air before you land on the enemy. It really made 2-K a billion times more doable and allowed me to expect a high jump reliably when I wanted one. That technique doesn't work when you have a partner kong, since pressing jump way early will just initialize their special double-jump thing, but when you're playing DK alone (which you definitely will in a K level since they don't give you barrels), it works out just great.

You didn't get the Puzzle Pieces on the first go-through? :0

Any time I missed a piece I'd just kill myself. No WAY I'm coming back to a K for pieces. You can be cheap, too, and suicide your way into collecting a piece since it stays "gotten" when you respawn, as long as you don't exit the level. Any K-level focus should be on the puzzle pieces first, then once you've grayed em all out, work for the goal.

kunonabi

yeah, still using wiimote/nunchuk. shake to roll isn't an issue and it's just really comfortable and intuitive.

emb

Managed to clear 2-K. Thankfully I have the timing right now so may come back and get the puzzle pieces if I want another aneurysm :p
Ooh boy, 2-K sounds interesting. I was going to put off most of the letters until end game, but I might just go do that next. I have this morbid curiosity now.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The K levels feels pretty similar to Returns bonus levels in difficulty? Or do I remember them wrong?

Actually, the whole game so far (first two worlds) feels pretty similar, apart from barrel/cart levels.

Watch Da Birdie

Ooh boy, 2-K sounds interesting. I was going to put off most of the letters until end game, but I might just go do that next. I have this morbid curiosity now.

It took me twice as long to beat it then beating 1-K and 3-K combined, which I found to be surprisingly easy.

Still, so far the Temples seem to be less frustrating than Returns.

Mlatador

Banned

#TeamMotionControls

You're absolutely right! I love that, too. Also, stomping on these jump-platforms that elevate you up is so much more fun with nunchuck/wiimote.

Watch Da Birdie

What's the point of a music gallery if half of the songs are missing?

I'm a bit disappointed with the Extras.

Mainly, I wish the Figurines had descriptions accompanying them like the Trophies in Smash Brothers, and that the artwork had a little blurb describing what the idea behind the art was, like from the artist's mouth. It's a bit boring.

hobart

Slowly moving through this game and enjoying it. Only thru 2 worlds -- but I am grabbing all KONG letters to complete all levels within each world. K-levels are vicious... but completing the level is extremely satisfying.

I'm rather enjoying not having a time limit on each level (sans the K-levels which require you to keep moving -- a time-limit by DEFAULT). I like taking my time the first or second run-thru.

I find the level design of these early levels to be fun, unique and engaging. I do not like that the bonus levels are a regurgitation of the previous ones -- I think they could have done something a little more inspired for these. I think the lack of bonus levels is made up in the level design tho -- the puzzle pieces are thoughtfully hidden and challenging to find (without the parrot).

2 Worlds in and I'm having fun. Much more challenging than Mario 3D World -- which I appreciate. I don't mean to compare - it's just the last two games I've spent significant time with on the Wii U.

Watch Da Birdie

There's some more Bonus Rooms that will appear as you progress, there's one in the second half of World 3 for instance with shifting platforms that's actually pretty difficult to beat under the time-limit, especially if you only have DK (and the level's difficult enough that you'll likely be on your own by the time you reach the Bonus Room as there's no Friend Barrels after a certain point).

Mlatador

Banned
Yup playing non-waggle just felt wrong, I just can't get used to the button controls. But after speedrunning a level for 1-2 hours I'm thinking of biting the bullet and switch to the pro controller. It's really tiring on my arms.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've switched to the Gamepad/Pro Controller in time trials already. 1 hour is ok with Wiimote/Chuck, but then it does get tiring.

HOWEVER, I think it's a pretty good workout for your arms and upper body, seriously :p

I'm a bit disappointed with the Extras.

Mainly, I wish the Figurines had descriptions accompanying them like the Trophies in Smash Brothers, and that the artwork had a little blurb describing what the idea behind the art was, like from the artist's mouth. It's a bit boring.

They're saving this for the hardback art book for both DKCR and Tropical Freeze...
WHY DON'T YOU DO MORE ART BOOKS NINTENDO?!

Neiteio

On the bright side... Perhaps the omission of half the soundtrack from the music test is indicative of plans to release the soundtrack on iTunes at some point?

Just beat it. Amazing game. I need to go back and beat all of the K levels; I unlocked them all the first time through each world but have been leaving them for the end.

Lunar15

I can't play it any other way. I tried out the other setups thinking they'd be the way to go this time, but they just didn't do it for me. Holding the wii remote and nuchuck is just really comfortable and the controls fit really well.

The only times where it's not so great is when I'm riding Rambi or trying to keep speed underwater without diddy or dixie.

Neiteio

It took me like 30+ tries to beat 2-K... I got all the puzzle pieces along the way... Incredible level...

So then I watch the speed run, thinking times couldn't deviate much on that level, since I thought you practically had to bounce off every enemy and totem.

NOPE. The top speed run for 2-K is insane. He skips every other owl and penguin. He roll jumps off the owls he does hit. HOW?! He even leaps over entire totems. He bypasses 50% of the things I thought you were required to use as platforms.

Someone should seriously record the #1 speed run for 2-K and upload it to YouTube. Same goes for Horn Top Hop, which has to have some of the most satisfying Cranky Kong speed-running action around.

Watch Da Birdie

Did anyone beat 2-K using the Partner Characters?

The way the level's set up, it seems it'd be actually more difficult to use them since they'd mess up DK's bouncing rhythm, especially Cranky.

Island 5 impression:

Ok, so I think this is the single greatest "world" in a 2D platformer I have ever experienced. I don't know how the fuck they did it, but I think they topped the Factory in DKCR with this shit. Absolutely amazing. I love how they were able to fuse industrial and organic elements together in such a unique and beautiful way. The art direction, the sound effects, the gameplay... Just everything. The boss design was the best in Retro's DKC series easily. And FINALLY I feel like the game challenged me. As great as the game has been all the way through, I couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed at the lack of challenge and "craziness" that I felt Returns had, but Juicy Jungle delivered it in Spades. I won't mention individual levels because every one of them was fantastic. If Frozen DK Island and the final trio of levels uphold this level of quality and challenge, I may have a hard time indeed deciding which game is better.

Island 5 impression:

Ok, so I think this is the single greatest "world" in a 2D platformer I have ever experienced. I don't know how the fuck they did it, but I think they topped the Factory in DKCR with this shit. Absolutely amazing. I love how they were able to fuse industrial and organic elements together in such a unique and beautiful way. The art direction, the sound effects, the gameplay... Just everything. The boss design was the best in Retro's DKC series easily. And FINALLY I feel like the game challenged me. As great as the game has been all the way through, I couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed at the lack of challenge and "craziness" that I felt Returns had, but Juicy Jungle delivered it in Spades. I won't mention individual levels because every one of them was fantastic. If Frozen DK Island and the final trio of levels uphold this level of quality and challenge, I may have a hard time indeed deciding which game is better.

Frozen DK Island is even better ;) I didn't like the theme of World 5 though but I love the challenge.

This!

I was so disappointed that the new version of Stickerbrush Symphony wasn't in the list of songs. :mad:

It's missing the Stickerbrush Symphomy remix, Busted Bayou, and Grassland Groove, three of the best songs in the entire game. Is this a cruel joke? What was going through their heads when they decided to omit half of the soundtrack?

Het_Nkik

So I 100%'d the game (file, still haven't collected all the puzzle pieces, done all the speed runs, or done Hard mode) last night, and I fucking LOVE this game.

I love how goddamn hard the non-requisite levels are and I love how fun time attack is and I just love this fucking game.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Was really enjoying the game, until I got the world 2-1.

The last checkpoint with the breaking platforms on windmills. I died about 20 times trying to pass this section. If you don't do the exact right thing at the exact right time, you die. Zero room for improvisation or error. It felt extremely cheap and random, not well designed at all.

Insane difficulty spike there. The later levels are a bit tougher, but that windmill thing should have been in like world 6 or 7.

Due to having to juggle many games and my need to 100% each island before moving on, I'm progressing through this game veeerrryyy slowly. Only at 3-3.

That said, it's an excellent game and I'm enjoying much more than I expected. Perhaps to early to say but so far I feel it's a better game than DKCR, which I already loved. Shame more people won't get to play this due to the Wii U's situation.

Im in world 3 right now and Im loving the game. Based on what ive played I would love for them to tackle a 3D platformer or adventure. Id love to see them do an actual 3D explorable world based around these settings. They did a great job with Metroid Prime but I feel they could do something amazing in a more abstract 3D world. Whether it is Zelda, 3D DK platformer, a different take on Metroid or something entirely new.

Edit: also a comment about difficulty. Im not a great platform player, probably just average but this game feels a bit easier. I mean this as a good thing. It seems like they placed checkpoints better and provided ways to easier obtain health. Although I will say the partner system is slightly unbalanced. With the exception of one or two levels, Dixie seems to be the best partner and ive yet to see a situation where Diddy would excel over Dixie. There have been a few times with Cranky granted it takes me some time to adjust to his play style and I haven't fully mastered him. Seems to me like Diddy offers little or any advantage over Dixie.

Het_Nkik

Was really enjoying the game, until I got the world 2-1.

The last checkpoint with the breaking platforms on windmills. I died about 20 times trying to pass this section. If you don't do the exact right thing at the exact right time, you die. Zero room for improvisation or error. It felt extremely cheap and random, not well designed at all.

Insane difficulty spike there. The later levels are a bit tougher, but that windmill thing should have been in like world 6 or 7.

Shit man, if you think that's hard, I have some bad news for you moving forward.

Top Bottom