• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Neiteio

Was really enjoying the game, until I got the world 2-1.

The last checkpoint with the breaking platforms on windmills. I died about 20 times trying to pass this section. If you don't do the exact right thing at the exact right time, you die. Zero room for improvisation or error. It felt extremely cheap and random, not well designed at all.

Insane difficulty spike there. The later levels are a bit tougher, but that windmill thing should have been in like world 6 or 7.
It's easy, just play like this.

Marjar

Banned
Welp I finally went back to try the fish boss again, and beat him easily. :T

Funny how simply taking a break can do that.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Was really enjoying the game, until I got the world 2-1.

The last checkpoint with the breaking platforms on windmills. I died about 20 times trying to pass this section. If you don't do the exact right thing at the exact right time, you die. Zero room for improvisation or error. It felt extremely cheap and random, not well designed at all.

Insane difficulty spike there. The later levels are a bit tougher, but that windmill thing should have been in like world 6 or 7.

I don't know about THAT. I improvised and errored myself through it just fine, got past my first try. Then again, when I came back for missed puzzle pieces later. Felt like any other part of the level. Methinks you were overthinkin it.

MLH

This run for 1-K is sick. Just breaking the game with Dixie's ponytail.

I watched this in-game when I did my speed run of this level, it's utterly amazing.
That jump at 0:22 is outstanding - the momentum carries DK across a large portion and again at 0:28 - avoiding the swinging obstacles.
I'm loving all these speed runs, I'm not nearly good enough to reproduce them, but they are jaw-dropping to watch.

Dat 1-K speedrun

hzl0TYf.gif

I'm actually really astounded at how many people dislike the water sections. They're some of the best parts of the game to me; the controls give DK momentum in a believable way, where even though the water makes him a bit more sluggish you still feel like you're in complete control of his actions. Very very well done.

Crom

Great game so far. Better than the Wii DK for sure.

It is refreshing to actually get challenged by a game.

This is a true hardcore game (even though it is cartoony....gasp!

Lunar15

I'm actually really astounded at how many people dislike the water sections. They're some of the best parts of the game to me; the controls give DK momentum in a believable way, where even though the water makes him a bit more sluggish you still feel like you're in complete control of his actions. Very very well done.

I completely agree.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The 100 friend limit is really starting to piss me off. Deleting some who haven't been online in a long time to make room for time trial requests. Hope this isn't any of you guys!

I'm with you. I played World 4 yesterday and thought it was fantastic, then came on here and saw some people complaining. DK feels very finely tuned underwater and I love the weight he has. The great animations pull it together into something that feels very right to me. I think some people just dislike swimming in games, period. I thought not having underwater sections in DKCR was letdown. I just wish we got Enguarde.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
One thing I liked was how the opening levels teased water segments, getting you acquainted to them but not forcing them on you, and then basically slowly dries up till they come back in full force in World 4. It was a nice "tutorial" for them early on so World 4 wasn't immediately overwhelming.

The last letter in 5-4 is killing me, I don't know how to get it without Dixie and the checkpoint is WAY back. And this level is so long I'd rather not come back.

jnWake

Reached 57.22 in 1-B with Dixie. Pretty close to the WR but I think I'll give up for now.

I think the route I used there can become the new WR if someone talented copies it (I had a couple mistakes that could save a second or so).

I'm at work. I want to watch more speedruns but I don't want to spoil later parts of the game for myself. Now I actually want to play more levels, not just for the enjoyment of playing them, but so I can also watch the crazy speedruns online.

kizmah

Oh my, this game. THIS GAME! Just finishing up World 2 and I can honestly already say that this is blowing NSMBU out of the water. And judging by this thread it gets better. Retro Studios are gods. Give them Zelda now!

B4Yimr8.jpg

Neiteio

Every time I hear the music for Grassland Grove my mind jumps to its descriptor in that thread of "never-ending musical ecstasy".
Yeah, that was my descriptor for it. Not entirely apt, since it does end (obviously), but man, when you're swept up in that music... It's transcendent. :)

A little over halfway through world 4. Has to be my favorite world yet. The controls for the water world work fine for me and I love all the music in the underwater section especially Amiss Abyss. Each level is a surprise as to what will happen. Definitely enjoyed the sequence in I believe 4-4.

Neiteio

The thing about Grassland Groove (both the level and its music) is that in lesser hands, it would've looked and sounded like the tired African cliché seen in so many movies, etc. But the way Retro Studios and David Wise approached it, it's fresh and vibrant, giving you some of that distinct African flavor while still feeling unique to DK's world. Hard to describe, but I guess what I'm saying is they didn't "overdo" it -- everything is "just right."

RomanceDawn

Anyone else feel Mario and Donkey Kong do speed running in their games better than Sonic?

Edit: Nevermind. I just seen some good speed runs for Sonic. So about equal I guess.

Log4Girlz

Oh my, this game. THIS GAME! Just finishing up World 2 and I can honestly already say that this is blowing NSMBU out of the water. And judging by this thread it gets better. Retro Studios are gods. Give them Zelda now!

You say that as if there is a god. Well one who grants wishes vs. spending their time creating Donkey Kong soundtracks.

kraznk1d

ive yet to see a situation where Diddy would excel over Dixie. There have been a few times with Cranky granted it takes me some time to adjust to his play style and I haven't fully mastered him. Seems to me like Diddy offers little or any advantage over Dixie.

Diddy is the best character for time trialing levels with underwater sections. He tops the leaderboards for world 4. Diddy is also the best character for Jelly Jamboree and probably a few other land levels. Cranky is the best character for running the majority of levels, surprisingly, with dixie a close second. Cranky is also required for getting shinies on a lot of the bosses.

Top Bottom