• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Can you please take 720p versions of those two shots (Gloomy Gulch and Krem Quay 2.0) by hitting Home, going to Internet Browser, uploading them on abload.de, and then copy/pasting the link into an email to yourself? Then you can share them here in uncompressed 720p glory. I'd really like to have copies of those, if you don't mind. It'll be a while before I unlock them myself...

Sure. Never done this before so give me a minute.

Gartooth

I want them to make metroid prime 4 next because I imagine the backlash if they don't will be insufferable.

Then make DKCR3.

The hyperbolic bullshit I watched unfold after this game's announcement was insufferable. I would have been fine if people just said they didn't care for Donkey Kong or another platformer, but some of the comments such as "any other developer could have done just as good of a job making this game" really got on my nerves.

Neiteio

Sure. Never done this before so give me a minute.
Note that you can open multiple tabs and switch between them easily. I keep Gmail open in one tab, simply emailing myself the links by replying to my own email chain. Also, when you go to Abload.de, hit the Browse button, and it'll let you select the image on your TV. Then when you click "Abload!" it'll spit out the URL; tap it and you can select to Copy it; then in your email to yourself, click Reply and tap Paste to paste the link into the email.

TEJ

The hyperbolic bullshit I watched unfold after this game's announcement was insufferable. I would have been fine if people just said they didn't care for Donkey Kong or another platformer, but some of the comments such as "any other developer could have done just as good of a job making this game" really got on my nerves.

the backlash for this game was really bad. It'll be much worse if their next game is another DK.

I kind of hope Retro never brings back the kremlings. I don't have problem with them but I am loving the new characters they've been creating and I want them to continue that.

I agree. The snomads are charming. I see no reason why Retro should be forced to use Rare's old designs.

Neiteio

the backlash for this game was really bad. It'll be much worse if their next game is another DK.
Maybe, maybe not. Tropical Freeze seems to have that "instant classic" magic for a lot of people, who may now be more receptive to a possible third outing from Retro (especially if it's a DKC2 reimagining with Animal Buddies, pirate Kremlings and more Wise goodness!).

DKC2 Returns? From the images unlocked for achieving 200%.

Possible Gloomy Gulch 2.0

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01fle8s.jpg

Possible Krem Quay 2.0

Note that you can open multiple tabs and switch between them easily. I keep Gmail open in one tab, simply emailing myself the links by replying to my own email chain. Also, when you go to Abload.de, hit the Browse button, and it'll let you select the image on your TV. Then when you click "Abload!" it'll spit out the URL; tap it and you can select to Copy it; then in your email to yourself, click Reply and tap Paste to paste the link into the email.

It was a bit easier than I thought. The Wii U's browser is surprisingly competent.

Honestly even with the analog stick, I don't think its as tight and responsive as the controls in Rayman Origins/Legends (which the game is mimicking in terms controls/water level design). Before any one jumps on me for making that comparison, I think the point of inspiration is so clear (in Current Capers especially) that its definitely fair to do so. The constantly tapping A if you dont have a buddy contributes to it feeling less satisfying imo, and even with say Dixie I didnt feel like I wasnt able to make the turns as tightly or quickly in the more frantic sections as I could in a Rayman.

Theyre not bad but theyre definitely weaker than what theyre aping. I love doing the dolphin jump out of the water however, thats super solid.

This is obviously on purpose to make the game more challenging, and to add a sense of weight to DK.

I prefer the sense of weight to the character in a platformer, opposed to Raymans weightless feel. It adds more depth to the gameplay experience and challenge. It also makes you feel more connected to the character you're playing as, and its world.

Though, I can understand how someone prefers the way Rayman controls. If I had to chose one, id pick the gameplay in DK, and ive played them both.

TEJ

Maybe, maybe not. Tropical Freeze seems to have that "instant classic" magic for a lot of people, who may now be more receptive to a possible third outing from Retro (especially if it's a DKC2 reimagining with Animal Buddies, pirate Kremlings and more Wise goodness!).

Most of the backlash came from people who were not interested in this game in the first place.

I would love another DKC game by them next but the complaining would drive me nutty.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Would be happy for this to get an expansion pack not unlike NSLU.

I think at this point the only glaring disappointment I have is the lack of minecart stages.

Neiteio

Thank you for those uploads, Xtortion!!

Also, now that you've discovered how easy it is to take 720p pics on WiiU (not as easy as Steam's F12, but still easy!), you're probably going to want to revisit some levels and go on a photo safari (something I did last night that put my playthrough on hold, lol).

Here's my wish list for the next DKC:

- Ability to play as DK and modify his powers with a buddy, like normal, OR switch to your partner character, at which point DK disappears but you still have four hearts, and you can change back to DK (with buddy in tow) at any time. So you can play as Diddy by himself (like in TF's Hard Mode), but at any time you can tag-team back to DK (with Diddy in tow).

- Bring back Kaptain K. Rool and the Pirate Kremlings, with Crocodile Isle rising from the depths. Go all-out with a remake/reimagining of the worlds in DKC2, with a new world here and there, but the same dark atmosphere. Similar to what Returns did with DKC1, remaking most of its worlds, with the occasional artistic license (I.E. the all-new Cliffs world). If Returns was a spiritual successor to DCK1, and if Tropical Freeze is (arguably) a spiritual successor to DKC3 (with the woodsy "wonders of nature" feel), then the grand finale of the Retro DKC trilogy should be the spiritual successor to DKC2.

etc... x100
Wish list or game pitch? :p

EDIT: Personally I don't have a strong connection to the older games as I only played them for the first time within the last two years but I think Retro has proven themselves to be a creative bunch with their own gameplay mechanics and don't need to "bring back" anything from past games.

The original games needed animal buddies to mix up gameplay because their level design wasn't as strong (in my opinion). Retro on the other hand seem to have creative level design down to a science.

Neiteio said:
On a side note, a couple of the Bright Savannah art pieces were interesting -- one involving DK using small yellow birds to slowly descend a canyon, and another of DK dodging snapping alligators in a river (perhaps removed because Retro wants to bring back the Kremlings in the next one, lol).

I saw that and immediately thought it would be very weird to create an entirely new bird character to fulfill (purple) Squawks' exact function in DKC2. It seems like they want to distance themselves from a lot of Rare's characters to an extent, although obviously more Kongs made it into this game. For example, there are puffer fish and dragonflies and I think I saw bees in screenshots, all of which have counterparts in at least DKC2. I think world 2 even has concept art with beavers, though I didn't notice any in the levels themselves. Not that any of the matters, but I don't see these other minor bad guys mentioned when we talk about the omission of the Kremlings.

Made it to world 4 today. Swimming controls are definitely a bit better with the analog stick, but it's a pain to switch pack and forth when I otherwise prefer the d-pad scheme.

The music in 2-3 is incredibly soothing. The atmosphere is this world is hitting some great melancholy moodiness.

Thank you for those uploads, Xtortion!!

Also, now that you've discovered how easy it is to take 720p pics on WiiU (not as easy as Steam's F12, but still easy!), you're probably going to want to revisit some levels and go on a photo safari (something I did last night that put my playthrough on hold, lol).

Oh man, there's this thing at the end of 6-B that I have to get a shot of. I have no fucking idea what it is.

Lijik

This is obviously on purpose to make the game more challenging, and to add a sense of weight to DK.

I prefer the sense of weight to the character in a platformer, opposed to Raymans weightless feel. It adds more depth to the gameplay experience and challenge. It also makes you feel more connected to the character you're playing as.

I can understand how someone prefers the way Rayman controls.

I understand that, but like I said it doesnt really work with the level design style they're going after in the water levels. My favorite stage in World 4 is the one where its more of an evolution of DKC1's maze like style. I forgot what its called (Shoal something). The other levels feel more like "hey, heres some Rayman-esque water levels but with iffier controls!". It felt like the weighty controls and level design were at odds with each other, unlike the regular stages of the game where they go hand in hand.

Gloomy Gulch 2.0 reminds me that there was no Forest Interlude remix, Stickerbrush gets all the love and rightfully so but the Interlude was always the one I favoured ever so slightly more of the dynamic DKC2 duo.
*End Credits spoilers*
The jazztacular take on stickerbrush fading out before the song completed was like the game music equivalent of blue balls, I hope Wise has a full version of that kicking around somewhere.

Back to the concept art it's interesting to see that World 5 did at one point have pigs all over the place like it was their home island and fruit factory, safe to say I much prefer the version we got in game, among the many creatures in Retro's DK games Professor Chops really sticks out for just being a plain cartoon pig and an island full of them wouldn't have done much for me.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
my prediction given the minecart world and water-level world of first two games: there would be a world thats nothing but animal buddies, but it'd have every animal buddy. EVERY animal buddy. "The not-Rambi from Jungle beat? Fuck it, toss him in!". They would not appear in any other world.

Not that fucking elephant though jesus christ.

Gartooth

Would be happy for this to get an expansion pack not unlike NSLU.

I think at this point the only glaring disappointment I have is the lack of minecart stages.

I... don't know about that. I think I'd prefer another new game altogether than an expansion pack ala NSLU. The reason being, is that I think DLC for this game would require considerably more work. Retro put a lot of care and detail into the level design and art where each level and world has a "personality" to it, in comparison to NSMBU where they felt like a means to an end for different platforming challenges. NSLU focused on adding difficult levels that felt like remixes of the original NSMBU game, but in terms of actual assets there was very little new and I don't think that really fits in with TF which seems to have done a good job avoiding that aside from bonus rooms. (at least in my limited playtime so far)

Neiteio

OK so who the heck is this dude in the background? Looks like a guy with a long nose and a mustache.
Looks like a giant statue of one of those big penguin enemies, the ones with the yellow hair and the horns that spit out icy birds.

Hey, can you take some pics of 6-6 and/or 6-7? I'm not there yet, but they're so beautiful. :)

Looks like a giant statue of one of those big penguin enemies, the ones with the yellow hair and the horns that spit out icy birds.

Hey, can you take some pics of 6-6 and/or 6-7? I'm not there yet, but they're so beautiful. :)

Wow, you're right. I nearly had to smash my face into my monitor to see his actual eyes. >_<

Yeah I'll get some more pics. Gives me something new to do with the game lol.

The Boat

I understand that, but like I said it doesnt really work with the level design style they're going after in the water levels. My favorite stage in World 4 is the one where its more of an evolution of DKC1's maze like style. I forgot what its called (Shoal something). The other levels feel more like "hey, heres some Rayman-esque water levels but with iffier controls!". It felt like the weighty controls and level design were at odds with each other, unlike the regular stages of the game where they go hand in hand.
It works perfectly, you just need to learn the controls. The whole game, just like NSMB games, is designed around these physics with momentum and weight in mind, the water levels are no exception. That's why most, if not all, enemies have patterns, why there's rhythm and a flow to everything in the levels and enemy placement, so you can plan and react accordingly to the movement of the characters, the underwater levels are a perfect example of this,

There's nothing particularly original about Rayman's underwater controls that backs up your conclusion that they're based on it. If the controls had some sort of special idea behind them, sure, but they're pretty normal. I don't remember if Rayman also has a spin move underwater, but even if he does, Galaxy already did it before,

Lijik

Honestly if this game got bonus room DLC that just added more bonus rooms to the main game, Id be happy with that.
I feel like I get the same 2 almost every time and Im so tired of them.

There's nothing particularly original about Rayman's underwater controls that backs up your conclusion that they're based on it. If the controls had some sort of special idea behind them, sure, but they're pretty normal. I don't remember if Rayman also has a spin move underwater, but even if he does, Galaxy already did it before,[/QUOTE
yeah okay and every character since pitfall can jump, that doesnt mean I cant think one jump is more responsive than the other.
Sure I guess you can argue theres no super innovative thing about Rayman's water controls or stage design but you're kidding yourself if you dont think Tropical Freeze takes direct inspiration from them.

Im going to ignore the holier than thou first half.

Dammit JC, I was about to reveal my dark secret anyway.
Ellie has my favourite stage in DKC3 based around her, bobbing barrel brawl was the nuts.
Granted she has an awful first and second impression, Murky Mill is enough to taint her animal buddy reputation because that there was on the other end of the spectrum to the barrel brawl.

Purple Squawks is the worst buddy in my book, damn bird couldn't even fly in DKC2 in what might be my least favourite stage of that game and then returns in DKC3 as Ellie with wings, minus the interesting use of barrels and water gun.

Neiteio

Wow, you're right. I nearly had to smash my face into my monitor to see his actual eyes. >_<

Yeah I'll get some more pics. Gives me something new to do with the game lol.
Yeah, any pics you want to take of worlds 5 and 6 would be very much appreciated. They have amazing environmental art (even by this game's sky-high standards), but it will be a bit before I'm there myself (going veeery slowly when I play at night).

Honestly if this game got bonus room DLC that just added more bonus rooms to the main game, Id be happy with that.
I feel like I get the same 2 almost every time and Im so tired of them.
Oh, are the bonus rooms randomly selected? I noticed them repeating but didn't realize it might be random.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
this game makes me cry how much it's good

it's insane. I cant stop replaying every level and 100% it. I'm already at 10 hours and still in world 2

it's...too good

Gartooth

Ellie has my favourite stage in DKC3 based around her, bobbing barrel brawl was the nuts.
Granted she has an awful first and second impression, Murky Mill is enough to taint her animal buddy reputation because that there was on the other end of the spectrum to the barrel brawl.

Purple Squawks is the worst buddy in my book, damn bird couldn't even fly in DKC2 in what might be my least favourite stage of that game and then returns in DKC3 as Ellie with wings, minus the interesting use of barrels and water gun.

Oh my god, I recently went back and played a couple of worlds of DKC3 in anticipation for this game and I was reminded about how much I DESPISE Ellie. She lacks the fun and powerhouse nature of Rambi, is scared of rats which often leads to my doom, and her controls were unintuitive where it took me forever to figure out how to "suck up" nearby barrels.

Neiteio

A mechanically reworked Ellie the Elephant that sprays a high-pressure stream of water, reels in distant objects with powerful suction, and can grapple enemies and objects with her trunk would be a lot of fun. I trust Retro to make it work well. Put her in 4-A of my proposed Krazy Kremland -- a circus level with a puzzle-solving slant where you have to use Ellie's water-spraying, item retrieval and manipulation skills to advance. :)

Busaiku

Got all the Mystery Relics and Dioramas, but I don't know if I want to keep playing this game...
Ugh, that last boss and the water levels absolutely killed all of my hype for this.
The terrible bosses and water levels really detracted from my experience.

The K levels were a blast, minus 4-K.
I didn't die in that as much as in 2-K (which was an absolute blast), but I hated playing through 4-K cause it was so disorienting.
6-K was too easy though.

Also those Banana string Puzzle Piece unlocks in Rocket levels were also really annoying.

Overall, this had way more downs than I wanted, and while there was a lot of good, I really don't have too much of an urge to go back.

Neiteio

Here's a DLC idea:

Kremlings in the Big City!

And not just any Kremlings -- Soviet Kremlings! Yep, give them trench coats and big furry hats and call their leader Komrade K. Rool. And the "city" would be inspired by the Kremlin in Russia -- that's right, a Kremlin inhabited by Kremlings! This would basically be an excuse to see Retro's artists render onion domes:

redsquare.oniondomes.jpg

Gartooth

A mechanically reworked Ellie the Elephant that sprays a high-pressure stream of water, reels in distant objects with powerful suction, and can grapple enemies and objects with her trunk would be a lot of fun. I trust Retro to make it work well. Put her in 4-A of my proposed Krazy Kremland -- a circus level with a puzzle-solving slant where you have to use Ellie's water-spraying, item retrieval and manipulation skills to advance. :)

No Neiteio, Ellie had her chance! :mad:
But I'd support a Kiddy Kong comeback.

VanWinkle

Okay. Just finished the second world. I'm a lot more impressed now, particularly at the graphics. Some of those levels were just gorgeous. My goodness. Here's one of the areas I was just blown away at.

YX5SPGl.jpg
\

Whereas, during the first world, I was let down by the visuals, this one has made me VERY happy. Music, of course, as always, is fantastic.

Oh my god, I recently went back and played a couple of worlds of DKC3 in anticipation for this game and I was reminded about how much I DESPISE Ellie. She lacks the fun and powerhouse nature of Rambi, is scared of rats which often leads to my doom, and her controls were unintuitive where it took me forever to figure out how to "suck up" nearby barrels.
While I prefer Rambi I think it was clear from Rambi Rumble and Animal Antics in DKC2 that Rare had maxed out how they could use a killer stampeding Rhino in their games, his sections in both stages are short and consisted mostly of chaining bounces off zingers.
So I get why they made the switch to something different but yeah I can't defend Murky Mill nor its poor teaching of barrel suction mechanics and even the stage gimmick of avoiding the rats in the light, when DKC3 gets gimmicky it gets real gimmicky.
(Fuuuuuck Fish Food Frenzy, it's not hard but it boy is that gimmick bad)

Retro still finding ways to keep Rambi focused stages interesting in this game was something I really did not expect, Frantic Fields and Meltdown Mayhem were tops.

4-A so those with hate may never encounter her, clever.

maxcriden

If I was at all competent making avatars I'd likely be rocking a Skowl one right now.
His rather odd shape makes him tough to avaterize though, I'd probably have to stick with his grouchy looking face.
If anyone rises to this challenge then I'll get started on my Tropical Freeze writeup which is like my posting equivalent of a K stage, WHAT A REWARD!

The Beak Peak would be a decent runner up choice though.

Hey, I see you have the av now! Niiice. I'll scroll down and see if you shared your impressions yet. My wife beat 6-5 tonight, it was pretty tough but more doable once we figured out
how to bounce-jump off those frozen moving grass patches. Cool level though...pun intended.

Neiteio

Badass T-Rex head in background :O

Should have moved a bit more to the left but you get the idea

More skulls!

The Snowmads didn't build their fortifications to last :l

The texture work on those giant wires almost looks photoreal on my TV

This thing is back.

Love the parts where you can see out of the factory.

Eyebot returns! (pardon the N)
Xtortion!!

These screens are all AMAZING!!

I right-clicked and saved every one of them. :)

The texture in Frozen Frenzy is unbelievable... Like reach-in-and-touch-it real. Something I've seen in a number of PC games, but it's amazing how it was effectively achieved on WiiU with the right blend of tech and art direction.

And the silhouetted and shaded fossils of Cliffside Slide... Soul food for the imagination. :)

If you want to take some pics of World 5, I won't stop you! ;)

There was also no Island as awesome as Factory.

I thought Juicy Jungle outdid the Factory. I was absolutely in awe.

Juicy Jungle > Autum Heights > SeaBreeze Cove > Frozen DK Island > Lost Mangroves > Bright Savannah

Factory > Cliffs > Cave > Forest > Ruins > Jungle > Volcano > Beach

I thought Juicy Jungle outdid the Factory. I was absolutely in awe.

Juicy Jungle > Autum Heights > SeaBreeze Cove > Frozen DK Island > Lost Mangroves > Bright Savannah

Factory > Cliffs > Cave > Forest > Ruins > Jungle > Volcano > Beach

Oh man...

...it's list time!

Donkey Kong Island > Autumn Heights > Juicy Jungle > Bright Savannah > Lost Mangroves > Sea Breeze Cove

Factory > Forest > Cliffs > Cave > Ruins > Volcano > Beach > Jungle

Kinsei

Banned
Ohhh lists!

Juicy Jungle > Donkey Kong Island > Bright Savannah > Autumn Heights > Sea Breeze Cove > Lost Mangroves

Cliffs > Factory > Forest > Caves > Jungle > Volcano > Beach > Ruins

Busaiku

Excluding boss fights, I'd say...
Donkey Kong Island > Autumn Heights > Juicy Jungle > Lost Mangroves > Bright Savannah >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sea Breeze Cove

Not even gonna bother getting the rest of the Puzzle Pieces in Seabreeze Cove.
Hate it so, so much.

daydream

Banned
Gah, I hate lists.

Autumn Heights > Donkey Kong Island > Bright Savannah > Juicy Jungle > Sea Breeze > Lost Mangroves > 90% of platformers

I'd have to think about DKCR. Not sure why everyone likes Cliffs so much, though. I'm more of a Factory man myself.

Top Bottom