• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh yah these enemies are way better than the tiki ones. Most memberable "villains" in a platformed in a looooong time in my opinion. Each one is clever in its own right.

The archers shoot frozen fish!!

I liked the tikis, but everything about the enemies in Tropical Freeze is so much more comprehensive than Returns. They've got more personality, there's more variety, and there's less repetition of key opponents (eg: bosses).

In fact, the only thing I'm left still disappointed with in terms of presentation is the vocal work on the Kongs over legit animal sounds. Not sure if that's Retro or Nintendo's insistence, but it can fuck right off.

Neiteio

Hey Eats, stop complaining about animal noises and post more pictures. :)

Also, to add to what you said about the Snowmads being comprehensive, I like how each species of Snowmad -- penguin, owl, hare and walrus -- has its own strongman version that takes multiple hits to defeat.

chronosic

I liked the tikis, but everything about the enemies in Tropical Freeze is so much more comprehensive than Returns.
I have nothing against the tikis either, they were pretty cool, but I agree, the snowmads are some next level shit. They're top shelf baddies, right up there with the kremlings.

popyea

I liked the tikis, but everything about the enemies in Tropical Freeze is so much more comprehensive than Returns. They've got more personality, there's more variety, and there's less repetition of key opponents (eg: bosses).

In fact, the only thing I'm left still disappointed with in terms of presentation is the vocal work on the Kongs over legit animal sounds. Not sure if that's Retro or Nintendo's insistence, but it can fuck right off.

So are you saying that you'd prefer actual chimp and gorilla sounds for the kongs? Are there examples of it being done this way in the past? It doesn't sound all that appealing to me in theory.

Neiteio

The Kongs still sound like they're hooting and howling to me. Sometimes they make a rough approximation of the word "Yeah!"

I have nothing against the tikis either, they were pretty cool, but I agree, the snowmads are some next level shit. They're top shelf baddies, right up there with the kremlings.

The snowmads don't have those awesome death cries that the kremlings did. I remember the first time I jumped on one of those little crocodile things with the big teeth and the little bastard had like the deepest voice in the game, scared the shit out of me.

Birathen

Yay, they're back!

izGyZcm43BVt4.gif

This is how I looked and felt when I spun it up for the first time yesterday. I havet touched a DK game since the first SNES one. My brain almost melted from the nostalgia overload.

Does the game have alot of alternative and secret routes? Im at the end of world 1 and it seems I missed atleast to levels.

chronosic

So are you saying that you'd prefer actual chimp and gorilla sounds for the kongs? Are there examples of it being done this way in the past? It doesn't sound all that appealing to me in theory.
You some kinda nature hater!? Kidding aside, it would be amazing to see DK let out a big silverback roar when pissed off.

Neiteio

DLC idea:

The entirety of Returns (including the eight new levels in the 3DS version) remade in HD, with David Wise music, and modified to work well with Dixie and Cranky. :p

(Half-serious.)

Totally serious.

toastyToast said:
The snowmads don't have those awesome death cries that the kremlings did. I remember the first time I jumped on one of those little crocodile things with the big teeth and the little bastard had like the deepest voice in the game, scared the shit out of me.
OONK!

Birathen said:
This is how I looked and felt when I spun it up for the first time yesterday. I havet touched a DK game since the first SNES one. My brain almost melted from the nostalgia overload.

Does the game have alot of alternative and secret routes? Im at the end of world 1 and it seems I missed atleast to levels.
Each world has a K-level you can only reach once you've collected all of the KONG letters in the other levels in that world.

As for secret exits, a number of levels have them -- some levels even have multiple secret exits. :)

DLC idea:

The entirety of Returns (including the eight new levels in the 3DS version) remade in HD, with David Wise music, and modified to work well with Dixie and Cranky. :p

(Half-serious.)

Totally serious.

To be fair, we need Returns in HD on console with button controls eventually.

Neiteio

Some shots of a couple of my favorite levels.
Gorgeous screens! I thought about trying to capture the intro to Grassland Groove -- nice to see someone saved me the trouble. :)

Also, on Amiss Abyss, someone needs to get a clear shot of a certain giant creature, awakened from its slumber. :)

To be fair, we need Returns in HD on console with button controls eventually.
True dat. I'd pay $20-$30 for it easily. Game's worth triple-dipping, especially in 720p 60 fps with button-based controls. If they went the extra mile with a Wise-enhanced mixes and Dixie/Cranky compatibility (and if I may be so bold, figurines for all of the Tiki), why, that would be gravy on top.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

It started in the PAON games really, so probably Nintendo's.

I actually really like Donkey Kong's voice, but Funky...is pretty bizarre.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Not exactly, but in Rare's trilogy their voice work and mannerism is closer to the animals than Retro's. I quite like the short, gruff grunts of Donkey Kong and Diddy's chimpy squeaks. Retro's is a bit more comical and human-like, and I don't really like it by comparison. I the grand scheme of things I dislike Retro's characterisation of the Kongs, evident in the cutscenes and voice work, compared to Rare's. It's the only part of Tropical Freeze's presentation I consider a weakness.

EDIT: Dixie is a good example. Rare's is a sassy 90s chiq. Nintendo/Retro's is a bland girly girl. Cranky too is just boring and devoid of sharp personality.

It started in the PAON games really, so probably Nintendo's.

You're probably right, maybe a combination of the two. After Rare's trilogy the series did take a different direction, aesthetically, one more comical.

The game looks gorgeous, but I just wish the environments were more diverse. Sea Breeze Cove in particular feels like a rehash of DKCR's beach world with a few underwater segments slapped in.

Neiteio

Not exactly, but in Rare's trilogy their voice work and mannerism is closer to the animals than Retro's. I quite like the short, gruff grunts of Donkey Kong and Diddy's chimpy squeaks. Retro's is a bit more comical and human-like, and I don't really like it by comparison. I the grand scheme of things I dislike Retro's characterisation of the Kongs, evident in the cutscenes and voice work, compared to Rare's. It's the only part of Tropical Freeze's presentation I consider a weakness.
For the most part, I'm fine with Retro's characterization of the Kongs... But I'm not sure I like how they've "neutered" Cranky. The Cranky I grew up with in the 16-bit era wouldn't be laughing and smiling in approval at his family. He'd be like Frank Costanza on Festivus, airing grievances left and right! He'd be breaking the fourth wall and complaining about the very game he's starring in, whilst longing for the good ol' days. :)

Not exactly, but in Rare's trilogy their voice work and mannerism is closer to the animals than Retro's.

I think the first couple of Smash games used real-ish sounds for DK

For the most part, I'm fine with Retro's characterization of the Kongs... But I'm not sure I like how they've "neutered" Cranky.

Indeed; Cranky is anything but these days. There was still a hint of it in DKCR, but since Cranky doesn't speak at all in TF, it's completely gone.

Neiteio

The game looks gorgeous, but I just wish the environments were more diverse. Sea Breeze Cove in particular feels like a rehash of DKCR's beach world with a few underwater segments slapped in.
Outside of Returns and Tropical Freeze both having a few levels with sand and palm trees, I'm not sure I see much overlap in level themes. Returns didn't have a mangroves world, or a Bavaria/Swiss Alps/Tibet world, or a savannah world, or a fruit juice/frozen treat factory world, or any snow world whatsoever. :)

Gorgeous screens! I thought about trying to capture the intro to Grassland Groove -- nice to see someone saved me the trouble. :)

Also, on Amiss Abyss, someone needs to get a clear shot of a certain giant creature, awakened from its slumber. :)

Thanks. Wondering about the world 2 intro, now.

I think i saw a pic of that giant creature, in another thread.

Also, Funkys pose for his figurine, while listening to the level select music(especially the part at 18 seconds in), if you're in the right mood, is priceless.

jA07DK.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Oe4pLIOBk

Neiteio

When I originally pictured a sequel to Returns, I pictured four characters -- DK, Diddy, Dixie and Funky. I didn't anticipate Cranky being playable, which was a nice surprise.

At any rate, I originally envisioned a game where DK and Funky would be the heavy leads, and you could mix and match either of them with Diddy or Dixie. Part of me would still like to see Funky playable -- maybe he could incorporate that surfboard of his in some fashion.

Probably the single character I most want to see from Rare's trilogy is SQUITTER. Seriously, that spider with his swag sneakers is just about the coolest companion a videogame protagonist has ever had.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
When I originally pictured a sequel to Returns, I pictured four characters -- DK, Diddy, Dixie and Funky. I didn't anticipate Cranky being playable, which was a nice surprise.

At any rate, I originally envisioned a game where DK and Funky would be the heavy leads, and you could mix and match either of them with Diddy or Dixie. Part of me would still like to see Funky playable -- maybe he could incorporate that surfboard of his in some fashion.

I could see him being faster than Donkey Kong, but also sort of slippery and such. Maybe make him a better swimmer too. He'd be a cool actual secret character.

Retro's sort of limited though when it comes to future characters...none of the existing Kongs, bar Tiny, would really work to be carried as DK. Plus I can't think of any other abilities you'd need except perhaps a Kong that could wall jump.

kiryogi

Banned
What's interesting about the voices actually is if I have it right, the credits do actually accredit human actors for them, japanese ones to boot!

Pila

3-K was good, but I liked 2-K more.

The third island is my favourite so far, can't wait to start the next one!

You know I was kinda ready to write this game off, picked it up out of obligation to the Wii U, honestly I'm kinda burnt out on 2D platformers after New Super Marios, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Rayman, and various Kirby games. I was really expecting this to be just another 2D side scrolling platformer, stupid move. I wasn't expecting it to be the single greatest 2D side scrolling platformer ever made. Just everything about it is near flawless.

The stages feel engrossing and alive, always something happening on screen, best game analogy I can think of is like comparing a Mario Kart to Sonic Allstar Racing Transformed, always feels like something huge and amazing is going on around you and just draws you in.

The controls are just perfect, no shake to roll, no touch screen stuff just for the sake of it. Pure, simple, perfect controls. Everytime I died I never blamed to the controls, it was my fault for not judging the distance right or jumping too soon or whatever.

I'm only on the 3rd word so far, just got past the Fire Level. As I said I really wasn't expecting much, I was really fatigued on 2D platformers, but this has just delivered on soo many levels. Its easily going to be the new gold standard all platformers are judge by in the future I think.

Thoraxes

EDIT: Dixie is a good example. Rare's is a sassy 90s chiq. Nintendo/Retro's is a bland girly girl. Cranky too is just boring and devoid of sharp personality.
I always think DK sounds like he's saying "Fuuuuuuck" whenever he dies sometimes lol. Don't know why I hear it that way.

So I booted up DKCR to see how it holds up.

I'm so sorry. But shake to roll is the biggest sin Retro Studios have ever committed. I dunno if it was forced upon them but TF feels miles more responsive thanks to the button.

TF makes some important changes to level design too. DKCR has too many enemies and needless obstacles that break the pace of the gameplay. The mechanics are so heavily reliant on momentum that constantly breaking it up with walls or wheels to scale hurts the pace. Instead of just being obstacles each enemy in TF feels like apart of the level design. There are also more moving parts in each level that sway into and out of reachable distance in Returns that contribute to shattering the flow. Very glad to see the blowing mechanic removed in TF and a reduced use of the ground pound. I haven't played far into TF yet but I hope I don't see any grass covered walls and especially no climbable corners/wheels.

I remember there being a homebrew program that allowed you to map the DKCR roll to a button, I might have to try that (or just get the game on 3DS). I thought I might go back and try to 100% Returns but as it stands now I just don't see the point. I had forgotten how frustrated the game makes me feel. 50% is the controls (shake to roll) and the other 50% is the rift between great mechanics and levels that feel like they are fighting against you using them (how many sets of 3-enemies in a row does one level need).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Time Attacks are really hindering my progress, lol. Still in World three.

Dat gold on 2-K tho! *baller*

Socreges

Banned
DKCR was the reason why I finally bought a Wii.

DKCTF has the same pull, but I just have such a massive backlog at the moment. :(

Should probably stop reading this thread.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
You don't need to get medals to get 100%.

I know, I meant in the sense that I spend a lot of time doing time attacks after clearing a level, instead of moving on in the game.

You're probably right, maybe a combination of the two. After Rare's trilogy the series did take a different direction, aesthetically, one more comical.
I absolutely agree that Cranky feels neutered compared to how he was in the DKC trilogy, but Dixie still feels how she did in the old games. Air guitar riffs, love of bubblegum... I think the problem is it's hard to write a character who simultaneously makes fun of and celebrates Nintendo's history at the same time. Could see execs getting especially annoyed if Cranky bitched about motion controls in DKCR or made fun of the useless tablet in DKCTF, though the twitter thing they did a few days ago seemed fairly in-character.

Unless I'm misremembering, Leigh Loveday (who I think still works at Rare; used to handle their site's Scribes section!) wrote all of Cranky's dialog in the old games.

Nullgradkelvin

Neo Member
I need this game so much, all of your positive impressions is making it worse! :D
Broke at the moment, but at the end of next month it will be mine!

Damn that Wise is a genius, this is my favorite track.

GRW810

This has probably been discussed anyway in here but for Gamepad users which control scheme are you going with?

After one day of playing, one completed island and some switching back and forth I can't work out if I prefer the control stick or d-pad set-up.

Top Bottom