• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Sponge

Banned
How does everyone feel about the Snowmads? I think they're better than the Kremlings, except Kutlass, nothing can top Kutlass.

I like the Smomads. They definitely beat the Tiki Tak Tribe by a long shot. I still miss the Kremlings. Scratch that, I just miss K. Rool. I think Nintendo has some kind of bias about keeping them out of the series.

I find it weird that Nintendo already has Reviews Trailer up for the game when the majority of reviews are still under embargo. With GameSpot quote included no less.

People shouldn't be too concerned about reviews. Maybe someone wants to make a statement with their score but it doesn't change anything. Largely it is known what to expect from this title.

why would they quote a 5 out of 10 review ?

nintendo is just strange..

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
How does everyone feel about the Snowmads? I think they're better than the Kremlings, except Kutlass, nothing can top Kutlass.

I just looked for Kutlass on Google Image since I didnt remember him, and found this

dkxmas08rx9.jpg

these are some goddamn prominent nipples

sorry your question was...? oh the snomads. I like them, but not terribly excited about what seems to be a rather small variety of animals. plus, i'd have preferred if their appearance was a bit more detailed

Lijik

I think Nintendo has some kind of bias about keeping them out of the series.

I dunno about that, given K Rool managed to pop up in at least one of the sports games and Paon used the Krelmings pretty extensively in their games.

It is pretty weird the three "major" titles since rare's departure dont feature them though

For me, I'm just a tad disappointed that Retro wasn't making a totally different game, preferably a new IP. Didn't help that TF didn't exactly look like it was pushing the hardware to heights Retro was known for.

I highly blame the Armature split, they lost their top people in 2008 after I believe that they were tired of their original ideas being turned down.

I mean they lost the director, the art director, and the lead engineer, that's like a complete small team as it were. Those are positions that can turn the tides of a company. Prime 3 looks incredible, and I'll be honest, I was never impressed with DKCR's visuals, or even art style.

I wish we could've seen what the pre-Armature Retro would've made DK into, I feel it would've been a darker 3D DK game, it feels like the group had SOLID ambition, DKCR did feel too safe, in terms of it not being a reinvention of the IP as Metroid Prime was, and I high sympathize with people who feel that way, because I see it as well.

Wii U with its far greater power and capabilities, made imaginations run wild with what Retro could do and see what they could create on it, and it turned out to be DKCR 2, which all it's really doing differently at least in highlights are the "3D" camera and the underwater levels, which would've been more than possible in the original (Retro even just confirmed the former was planned in DKCR).

Retro need to show that fiery ambition that made them into the status they are in today, prove they don't need the leads that formed Armature. Whether it's taking DK in a bold new direction, or another franchise entirely, preferably one that hasn't had an entry in like a decade (Star Fox is ripe for the picking), that's just my thought on the matter.

For me, I'm just a tad disappointed that Retro wasn't making a totally different game, preferably a new IP. Didn't help that TF didn't exactly look like it was pushing the hardware to heights Retro was known for.

I highly blame the Armature split, they lost their top people in 2008 after I believe that they were tired of their original ideas being turned down.

I mean they lost the director, the art director, and the lead engineer, that's like a complete small team as it were. Those are positions that can turn the tides of a company. Prime 3 looks incredible, and I'll be honest, I was never impressed with DKCR's visuals, or even art style.

I wish we could've seen what the pre-Armature Retro would've made DK into, I feel it would've been a darker 3D DK game, it feels like the group had SOLID ambition, DKCR did feel too safe, in terms of it not being a reinvention of the IP as Metroid Prime was, and I high sympathize with people who feel that way, because I see it as well.

Wii U with its far greater power and capabilities, made imaginations run wild with what Retro could do and see what they could create on it, and it turned out to be DKCR 2, which all it's really doing differently at least in highlights are the "3D" camera and the underwater levels, which would've been more than possible in the original (Retro even just confirmed the former was planned in DKCR).

Retro need to show that fiery ambition that made them into the status they are in today, prove they don't need the leads that formed Armature. Whether it's taking DK in a bold new direction, or another franchise entirely, preferably one that hasn't had an entry in like a decade (Star Fox is ripe for the picking), that's just my thought on the matter.
with all due respect but the skeleton retro crew made better games then what the top armature guys have released so far and even with DKC TF getting a 5 out of 10 i think it will be better then the injustice port or batman origins blackgate

and tell you one more thing. retro was planning to make 2 games simultaneously outside of Metroid Prime. Ravenblade and a NFL game. Sure that is ambitious and all but if Nintendo didnt kill the 2 projects all 3 games would have been mediocre.

with all due respect but the skeleton retro crew made better games then what the top armature guys have released so far and even with DKC TF getting a 5 out of 10 i think it will be better then the injustice port or batman origins blackgate

Obvious Armature is struggling, but also who knows how much creative freedom they were given with Blackgate (considering it's based on WB Montreal's creation). Judging them on ports is a bit silly unless they were awful.

They could also be too small to make a really ambitious game, but if they went the indie route, they probably could with the freedom it'd allow. Especially if they work with their bros at Bluepoint.

I think also Nintendo gave them a lot of freedom with Prime, who knows. They likely did with Returns as well. Things just clicked as they did then.

and tell you one more thing. retro was planning to make 2 games simultaneously outside of Metroid Prime. Ravenblade and a NFL game. Sure that is ambitious and all but if Nintendo didnt kill the 2 projects all 3 games would have been mediocre.

We don't know for certain, but having the entire company 100% on Prime was extremely beneficial no doubt.

I find a related problem is they can't keep their talent to save their life, not just the Armature folks, Bluepoint was formed by a Retro engineer after all, with other Retro folks following suit in the past few years,

MrBadger

The last time I remember seeing K. Rool was in Jungle Climber, which came out in 2007. I don't think there are any legal reasons why Retro aren't using him, I just think they're choosing not to, which I honestly don't mind. I'd be nice if he showed up again, but it wouldn't really make sense for him to be commanding a tribe of random vikings just for the hell of him being in. I think Retro's biggest advantage over EAD and NSMB is that they don't rely on old enemies and nostalgia (outside of the music) and just bring their own characters and ideas forward while keeping the mechanics of the original game in tact. Plus each DKC game had a different set of Kremlings anyway and by 3, even Zinger was out. So to me, it doesn't quite feel the same as Mario loosing Koopas and Goombas.

The last time I remember seeing K. Rool was in Jungle Climber, which came out in 2007. I don't think there are any legal reasons why Retro aren't using him, I just think they're choosing not to, which I honestly don't mind. I'd be nice if he showed up again, but it wouldn't really make sense for him to be commanding a tribe of random vikings just for the hell of him being in. I think Retro's biggest advantage over EAD and NSMB is that they don't rely on old enemies and nostalgia (outside of the music) and just bring their own characters and ideas forward while keeping the mechanics of the original game in tact. Plus each DKC game had a different set of Kremlings anyway and by 3, even Zinger was out. So to me, it doesn't quite feel the same as Mario loosing Koopas and Goombas.

K Rool was last present in Super Sluggers as playable and in Brawl as a trophy.

Obvious Armature is struggling, but also who knows how much creative freedom they were given with Blackgate (considering it's based on WB Montreal's creation). Judging them on ports is a bit silly unless they were awful.

They could also be too small to make a really ambitious game, but if they went the indie route, they probably could with the freedom it'd allow. Especially if they work with their bros at Bluepoint.

I think also Nintendo gave them a lot of freedom with Prime, who knows. They likely did with Returns as well. Things just clicked as they did then.

We don't know for certain, but having the entire company 100% on Prime was extremely beneficial no doubt.

I find a related problem is they can't keep their talent to save their life, not just the Armature folks, Bluepoint was formed by a Retro engineer after all, with other Retro folks following suit in the past few years,
wasnt armature formed before returns released? armature did nothing for a damn long time and for your information. both metroid and donkey kong are based on Nintendos creation as well. so what makes you think that nintendo gave retro so much freedom while WB didnt?

as for people leaving... thats normal. people come and people go. there is always fluctuation.

I think you could pretty easily have K. Rool return without having the Kremlings. Have him make a hodgepodge army of other drones from the series under a new punny-persona while he tries to save face both from how many times he's been defeated and how long he's been absent for.

Sponge

Banned
I dunno about that, given K Rool managed to pop up in at least one of the sports games and Paon used the Krelmings pretty extensively in their games.

It is pretty weird the three "major" titles since rare's departure dont feature them though

I don't know if Nintendo minded it at all with Paon since their games were mere spinoffs to keep DK fans at tide. Jungle Beat had nothing from DKC besides barrels and bananas. I seriously think someone at Nintendo, Miyamoto if I had to guess, wants the Kremlings gone.

we dont know the exacts of the contract between rare, MS and nintendo but it looks like there is a lot of grey area.

banjo for example is a character that is from the extended mario universe as the bear characters come from DKC3. same with conker.. he originates from Diddy Kong Racing.

wasnt armature formed before returns released? armature did nothing for a damn long time and for your information. both metroid and donkey kong are based on Nintendos creation as well. so what makes you think that nintendo gave retro so much freedom while WB didnt?

as for people leaving... thats normal. people come and people go. there is always fluctuation.

I know. :p But Armature was tasked to make a handheld companion to Origins, so perhaps they were limited on how different it could've been. I;m just guessing. :p

At least for Prime, don't you think that's pretty far out from what Nintendo had done with Metroid prior? I'd think Retro was given a nice amount of creative freedom. :)

TEJ

we dont know the exacts of the contract between rare, MS and nintendo but it looks like there is a lot of grey area.

banjo for example is a character that is from the extended mario universe as the bear characters come from DKC3. same with conker.. he originates from Diddy Kong Racing.

Banjo didn't come from DKC3. If you remember, Banjo Kazooie was originally Project Dream and starred a human.

Banjos debut was DKR too.

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure this is asked all the time but if I order this from Amazon (I have Prime) when will it get here? Am I better off going to Target on Friday to pick it up if I want it for the weekend, or will Amazon ship it to arrive Friday? Thanks!

I know. :p But Armature was tasked to make a handheld companion to Origins, so perhaps they were limited on how different it could've been. I;m just guessing. :p

At least for Prime, don't you think that's pretty far out from what Nintendo had done with Metroid prior? I'd think Retro was given a nice amount of creative freedom. :)

You could say the same thing about prime. They were making a comoanion to metroid IV (aka fusion)

Lijik

I don't know if Nintendo minded it at all with Paon since their games were mere spinoffs to keep DK fans at tide. Jungle Beat had nothing from DKC besides barrels and bananas. I seriously think someone at Nintendo, Miyamoto if I had to guess, wants the Kremlings gone.

I think you're making way too many assumptions to be able to reasonably make that conclusion.

Sponge

Banned
I think you're making way too many assumptions to be able to reasonably make that conclusion.

I have a hard time believing simply because of how many times Miyamoto has not allowed developers to do things in the past. I am assuming, but Sticker Star is a prime example of trying to fix something that wasn't broke. I hope to be proven wrong by it, honestly. I'd love to see K. Rool return one day.

Looking at the title now makes me think it should've been, "there's always monkey in the banana stand."

Anyway, I've been on a fairly successful blackout for this game. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it!

Deku Tree

IMO the Armature people leaving Retro was basically a non-event. I bet those guys have been wishing they could get their old jobs back for years.

No blow mechanic is a blessing. I much prefer the pulling things out of the ground mechanic.
Feels more suitable for DK anyway; throwing barrels and enemies, hand slapping and grabbing onto vines has always been a strong element of DKC/DK64/DKJB, so it makes sense to introduce a new move which similarly makes use of his strength and hands.

NEO0MJ

I feel we're losing thigns to talk about. Come here sooner, game!

Why couldn't they give these guys better textures? they are too simple looking and don't match the look of the DKC universe

Probably so they can mesh better with Retro's new art-style. And I can't believe you're back to muck up more threads.

While they might have been constrained with what they could do, that shouldn't have stopped them from making a good game. Blackgate was terrible and I really doubt they have what it takes to make a good game now. Best they could do is being a bunch of code monkeys.
Would love to be proven wrong but playing Blackgate was disheartening.

MrBadger

I've just been re-listening to the remix of
Stickerbrush Symphony,
and I can't remember the last time my opinion changed so much just from a piece of music growing on me.
When I first heard it, I thought it just sounded bland and "sorta" like the original, but with a horrible sounding flute, but now I love it. Not quite as much of the original, but I think it all sounds really nice, especially the flute. I really like how Wise didn't just modernise the original, and put a completely new spin on the track. A remaster would be nice, but I suppose it's not entirely necessary since there are plenty of fanmade ones already, like this one. .

DKCR had plenty of great sounding modernised Wise tracks, but I like how now that the man himself is back, he's not just retreading old ground

Here we go: around the 03:58:30 point the Kotaku guy says:
"I'm so happy I'm not the person who has to review this"

So there ya go.

Oh thank God!!! That review would have been a complete joke if that guy ended up reviewing it. Hopefully someone who's actually half decent at the game gets the chance to review it...

When that video was first posted in the other thread the poster said he was the reviewer. I really wish people here wouldn’t say stuff as fact if they don’t know it’s even true. It’s annoying.

Dad

I swear there is some sort of bizarre sorcery involved with that remix.
Most everyone (myself included) despises that awful flute the first time they hear it. But it just sort of grows on you for whatever reason. David Wise confirmed for witchcraft?

Most everyone (myself included) despises that awful flute the first time they hear it. But it just sort of grows on you for whatever reason. David Wise confirmed for witchcraft?

The four stages of flute grief

1. The choir sounds great, but wtf is with that flute
2. The flute is growing on me, but fuck those off notes, seriously
3. Well, alright. The off notes give it a nice exotic flavor.
4. DAT FLUTE! DAT FLUTE!

I wish Amazon would get their shit together with Nintendo and be able to guarantee release date delivery for their games.

I ordered it from them too. Got two day shipping but still no delivery date. I'll buy it in a store on Friday if I have to, and return the Amazon copy. I need it day one.

Also I added all of you guys from the leaderboard spreadsheet. Lijik's profile didn't let me send a friend request though (it was greyed out). Quote to reveal the spreadsheet below:

popyea

Why couldn't they give these guys better textures? they are too simple looking and don't match the look of the DKC universe

Just as I was thinking how fantastic the restraint in detail on this render was. Draws the eye to all the right places, and not just "everywhere" like you see most of the time.

There's a small review in the paper today, and they gave it 4 stars out of 5. They say it is 'platforming excellence' and 'no Mario 3DLand', but that's because it's a 'traditional platformer'. I am guessing they meant 3D World, though.

They also praise its difficulty. Sounds good to me!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I just bought Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D in the hopes that I might get around to playing Tropical Freeze. I'm not a huge fan of the DKC games but I adore my platformers when done right, so I figured that I may as well.

yeeeeees, give into the flute

that tacky artificial sounding harmonica in Aquatic Ambience remix is still ass

I have a hard time believing simply because of how many times Miyamoto has not allowed developers to do things in the past. I am assuming, but Sticker Star is a prime example of trying to fix something that wasn't broke. I hope to be proven wrong by it, honestly. I'd love to see K. Rool return one day.

I think you may be right.

I can't find it but in the other thread on the game, someone posted a Gametrailers interview with Retro about Returns and they asked about the Kremlings and Tanabe said that he or someone brought up bringing them back and Miyamoto suggested they make a new group of antagonists.

Personally, I am happy there are no Kremlings anymore.

Not that I hated them but they were done enough and Retro is known for their art and I think they do a great job with character designs(even the lame ostriches in Returns are dam amusing), it's cool Retro came up with their own group of baddies.

Top Bottom